kevlo86

Calgary Transit

Would it be heresy to suggest eliminating Route 305 and folding some of those service hours into Route 1?

9 minutes ago, downbeat said:

Would it be heresy to suggest eliminating Route 305 and folding some of those service hours into Route 1?

I just realized something....I think perhaps west of Home Road they're trying to get people to take the 53. What if....that's their ultimate goal?

15 minutes ago, Blake M said:

I just realized something....I think perhaps west of Home Road they're trying to get people to take the 53. What if....that's their ultimate goal?

Interesting … I had not thought of this. Two things come to mind, however:

1) Why “punish” customers who wouldn’t be able or want to use Route 53? (Anyone east of Home Road, in short.)

2) If CTrains are overflowing, why encourage people to connect to it? Wouldn’t you want to divert people away from the train?

50 minutes ago, downbeat said:

I will point out one very good thing about Route 305: it skips the (sometimes impossible) right turn from Kensington Road to southbound 10th Street. 

• Like 1

List of summer service changes is out.

http://www.calgarytransit.com/news/summer-service-changes

A few more changes of note, apart from what we've been talking about:

Route 35: Peak frequency downgraded to 30 minutes

Route 37: Weekend morning and evening frequency downgraded to 30 minutes

Route 87: Two extra weekday trips added to Marlborough station

(This has already happened) Route 112: Weekday midday frequency downgraded to 32 minutes 

Route 120: Peak frequency downgraded to 17 minutes; late night frequency improved to 35 minites

Routes 123 and 124: Evening frequency downgraded to 35 minutes

(This has already happened) Route 134: Peak frequency downgraded to 17 minutes; evening frequency downgraded to 35 minutes

Route 128: New service, 31 minute headway, peak only  http://www.calgarytransit.com/sites/default/files/content/PDF/128_jun_2019_r.pdf

Route 135: Extra trips added.

Route 148: Weekday midday frequency downgraded to 30 minutes

Route 161: Weekday midday frequency improved to 30 minutes

Routes 439 & 454: Weekday midday frequency downgraded to 40 minutes

Route 468: Midday service introduced at 30 minute frequency

Edited by downbeat
Cleared up terminology; added route previously missed

Calgary Transit's additional Stampede services are also visible, now that the summer schedules are up. Here's what I was able to pull out from the information provided, looking at certain routes based on how things were in the past. (Lemme know if I've missed anything!)

Parade day

Extra departures on some routes, terminating in City Centre:

Route 1: From Bowness at 7:31 and 7:43 a.m. (They used to do the same westbound from Penbrooke … but with MAX Purple operating this year, this would be very redundant!)

Route 2: From 17 Ave. S.W. (Glendale) at 8:10 a.m. From 78 Ave. Terminal at 7:58 a.m. 

Route 6: From Westbrook at 7:43 a.m.

Route 7: From 54 Ave./Crowchild at 8:06 a.m.

Replacement bus service in Inglewood and Ramsay from start of service until end of parade:

Route 508 (Stampede Express East): Service every 22 minutes between Stampede/Erlton station and 17 Ave. & Radisson Dr. S.E. via Spiller Road, 8 St. and 9 Ave. S.E.
New this year: going eastbound, the route uses the transitway (!) to cross the Bow River and stops at 26th Street station before merging into traffic.
That appears not to be true. The text version shows the 26th Street S.E. MAX station as a stop, so I presumed it would use the transitway. The map, however, shows the bus crossing on the Cushing Bridge like it used to. And as it turns out, Stop 5060 is a curbside stop adjacent to the MAX station. Mea culpa.

[Aside] Thinking about how Route 1 used to detour during the parade (via Deerfoot, Memorial and the 4th/5th Ave. flyovers) I assume Route 1 and MAX Purple buses will be able to enter/exit the transitway but continue from/to 17 Ave. S.E. and Deerfoot with the usual traffic signals?

All through Stampede

CTrain Red and Blue lines: 24-hour service begins Thursday night/early Friday morning (July 4-5).

Route 504 (Stampede Express North): The usual route from north Calgary direct to Stampede grounds (Erlton bus loop). Service Begins late afternoon on July 4.

Additional hour of service at end of day on Routes 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 112, 301 and 302 (from what I could see anyway). Last buses leave city centre at 1:20 a.m.

• Like 1

For the parade detour, looks like westbound buses will travel all the way to 9 Ave station before doubling back to northbound Deerfoot. Eastbound buses with travel south on Deerfoot and then west to 9 Ave station before entering back onto the transitway eastbound.

This new detour is actually a bit longer than the old ones. To be fair, Westbound, there's not really any good spot to exit the transitway prior to 26 St station. Eastbound, if you skipped 26 St station, you could slip into the transitway before 31 St where there's no concrete barrier separating the transitway and regular lanes.

The 508 seems kind of redundant if both 1 and MP will be servicing 9 Ave station still. They could've used those service hours to bump up 411 frequency for that morning.

• Like 1

Also … why isn't Route 508 actively advertised? I mean, yes, it'll show up in apps for riders who are doing any kind of live route planning that morning. But if you're an advance planner like me, not being told ahead of time is kind of annoying.

• Like 1

Transit55 has updated data for the upcoming signup. Route 1 will have 9 buses weekday midday and 6 in the evening and weekends.

https://transit55.ca/calgary/block_explorer?id=1&date=2019-06-24

Edit: If you look at the way MP has been arranged, https://transit55.ca/calgary/block_explorer?id=307&date=2019-06-24:

I'd be willing to bet the 3 evening keys will be regular buses (I always thought it was weird that they would run the artics in the evening), the 4 midday keys may be partially or entirely artics (I feel the latter may be plausible due to the reduced service on the 1). The 3 morning only keys are probably regular buses as well.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Transit Fan said:

Transit55 has updated data for the upcoming signup. Route 1 will have 9 buses weekday midday and 6 in the evening and weekends.

For the sake of the bus drivers, I'm glad to read this. Looking at the current block setup for late nights on weekends, buses have no time at either end of the route for recovery (or whatever else). Four hours straight driving — seems a little cruel to me.

Capture.JPG

• Like 2

Official Canada Day and Stampede parade detour maps are available from Calgary Transit.

The Stampede Parade maps look new and replace the Google Maps outlines that were linked to previously. Funny thing, however: some (probably all) of the Canada Day maps are scans of printed maps or reuse of previous digital maps … so some of the connection information contains throwbacks to bygone eras. Follow along on this unexpected trip down memory lane!

This one for Route 2 on Canada Day predates the November 2018 system makeover:
https://www.calgarytransit.com/sites/default/files/content/PDF/Detours/rte-2-detour-20180701.pdf
There are no MAX services and old route numbers shown for transfers along the Blue Line west leg and elsewhere.

The underlying map for the Route 3 and 17 detour on Canada Day is slightly older still:
https://www.calgarytransit.com/sites/default/files/content/PDF/Detours/rte-3-detour-20180701.pdf
http://www.calgarytransit.com/sites/default/files/content/PDF/Detours/rte-17-detour-20180701.pdf
They show Route 90 running on Elbow Drive, which only happened from September until December 2016. (The filenames suggests these were made last year.)

The base map for Route 300's detour looks to be from the same era:
http://www.calgarytransit.com/sites/default/files/content/PDF/Detours/rte-300-detour-20180701.pdf
Route 430 is shown operating from the Airport, among other things.

And this detour map for Route 301 explicitly states it describes the service on July 1, 2017.
http://www.calgarytransit.com/sites/default/files/content/PDF/Employeespage/rte-301-detour-20170701.pdf

First day of the summer signup.

• Looks like my prediction for the MP was right, as of this morning at least. The 4 midday keys are artics. The 3 am peak keys are regular buses. The 3 pm peak (which are also the 3 evening keys) will most definitely be regular buses.
  • The 6 all day route 1's are artics. 7 out of 9 of the midday keys are artics. All the rush hour only keys are regular buses.
  • I had just missed a NB 24 drop off its passengers on 1 St SW this morning. Was curious if it'd be a bit busier from people who used to take the 75.
  • Like 1

Randomly clicking on bus info in Transit 55, I notice there's at least one Spring Garden and two Stoney buses on Route 1 at the moment. Neat!

(This also opens the door to the use of air-conditioned buses running the route on the really hot summer days … which I don't believe is possible if it was going to be only serviced by Victoria Park.)

2 hours ago, Transit Fan said:

• Looks like my prediction for the MP was right, as of this morning at least. The 4 midday keys are artics. The 3 am peak keys are regular buses. The 3 pm peak (which are also the 3 evening keys) will most definitely be regular buses.
  • The 6 all day route 1's are artics. 7 out of 9 of the midday keys are artics. All the rush hour only keys are regular buses.
  • I had just missed a NB 24 drop off its passengers on 1 St SW this morning. Was curious if it'd be a bit busier from people who used to take the 75.

Route 406 driver this morning apparently didn't know about the relocated stops near the hospital, but thats all I've seen so far haha

3 hours ago, Transit Fan said:

The 6 all day route 1's are artics. 7 out of 9 of the midday keys are artics. All the rush hour only keys are regular buses.

Observing what’s being tracked now, 6 (not 7) of the 9 buses on Route 1 are articulated buses — probably the all-day keys. That makes sense to me, honestly.

54 minutes ago, yvarushin said:

I only have 34 cars marked as scrap. Did they make a mistake (ignoring them saying that there's only 82 cars), or have I/we missed something?

2 hours ago, downbeat said:

Observing what’s being tracked now, 6 (not 7) of the 9 buses on Route 1 are articulated buses — probably the all-day keys. That makes sense to me, honestly.

I might've mixed up one of them. This makes more sense. Artics for the evening ones makes sense with only 25 min frequency in the west end.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LRT said:

I don't think we missed anything.. I wouldn't trust the media's numbers.

Seems to be a recurring thing — transit spokespeople telling media one thing, transit employees experiencing something else!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/17/2019 at 5:36 PM, Transit Fan said:

By pure coincidence, I found myself in a good location for bus spotting Route 1 in Kensington earlier this afternoon. Most of the buses looked well-patronized (most seats taken) apart from one fairly empty eastbound artic I saw shortly after lunch hour. One of the westbound 40-footers was full enough for there to be standees.

12 hours ago, Transit Fan said:

Yes the route 24 was busier due to the 75 being discontinued. I was driving it. People are not happy about it especially when I stopped at time points. The big one was the time point at The Bay sitting there for 7 minutes.

• Sad 2