kevlo86

Calgary Transit

3 hours ago, TechSpotlight said:

CT’s real time data feed / Transit55 is now working once again.

How long was it down for?

13 minutes ago, 1604 said:

1976 system map someone posted on Reddit:

https://i.redd.it/ocvb8uwh6mk21.jpg

I dont know whats scarier - the fact that over 60% of Calgary today is non-existent, non-suburbanized farmland in that map, or the fact that without the CTrain, its almost like looking at a transit map of Saskatoon... 

Still interesting to see though! Amazing what almost half a century of development, proper foresight (compared to where i used to live...) and rapid expansion can do for transit in a large city. 

I wonder, does anyone have maps of 1981, 1985 and 1987 from when the CTrain started supplanting most of the bus routes? I swore i saw 1987 in this forum somewhere... but haven't seen 1981 or 1985 yet.

11 hours ago, armorand said:

I wonder, does anyone have maps of 1981, 1985 and 1987 from when the CTrain started supplanting most of the bus routes? I swore i saw 1987 in this forum somewhere... but haven't seen 1981 or 1985 yet.

I've seen a few of those over many years on the forum, but I've lost the links/files for them. I do remember that the Central Library has a drawer with nearly every year of map in it. It was in the 4th floor history room in the old location, but I haven't tried to find out where that is in the new location yet. 

• Like 1

No official posting yet but summer schedules and routes are live.

There's a new 128 route to Cornerstone and Redstone.

Only went through a few routes, nothing too exciting. Route 1 downgraded outside of peak hours to better complement MP (19 min midday, 25 min evening/weekend). MO is 15 min during peak (up from 16).

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Transit Fan said:

Only went through a few routes, nothing too exciting. Route 1 downgraded outside of peak hours to better complement MP (19 min midday, 25 min evening/weekend). MO is 15 min during peak (up from 16).

I feel like the 1 has seen lower ridership lately...

27 minutes ago, Transit Fan said:

Hopefully it's all artics because it's going to be pretty jam packed going to Bowness otherwise

30 minutes ago, Blake M said:

Hopefully it's all artics because it's going to be pretty jam packed going to Bowness otherwise

If things get too crazy during the summer, I wouldn't mind seeing them add off-peak 305 service to balance things out in the west end.

Some direct access from downtown to Winsport outside of rush hour would be good.

• Like 1

That seemingly out of place streetcar route connecting downtown Calgary with Ogden way back then is something I always found fascinating... I always wondered why it existed, what it would have been like to ride that line, how long it took, what the ridership was like etc.

1 hour ago, Transit Fan said:

In a decade, we'll be able to get a shot of the Green line LRT passing through that area!

Ahh, can't wait for that!

I pass by that bridge almost daily and it amazes me how its held up over the last century...

1 hour ago, Imgursdownvote4love said:

I've wondered what MacLeod Trail and Whitehorn could've looked like, pre-1981 MacLeod and Whitehorn 1985-1989, respectively. Would be a very interesting contrast! Especially since the Whitehorn bus loop (without any routes using it) is now basically a skatepark...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, yvarushin said:

I feel like the 1 has seen lower ridership lately...

I often ride the west segment of this route. Middays have been so-so on the line, I must admit. Ridership in the evening, however, is currently better than it was when the route changes took places last year. That winter especially was really brutal, IMHO, what with the line being completely unreliable for a time, so I totally understand if riders got frustrated and abandoned using the service. A frequency in reduction now, just when things appear to be improving, will not help the case to encourage people to use the bus. 

2 hours ago, Blake M said:

I feel like the west end is getting screwed.

• Like 1

Hmm … I’m now wondering if the changes are more widespread?

i just looked at Route 7, which I use at times, and I see midday weekday frequency has dropped to 18 minutes. 

Route 3 weekday midday and early evening is now 12 minutes headway. 

I’ll have to look more closely when I have time. 

Didn't have too much time this evening … but I've yet to come across any significant service reductions beyond Routes 1, 3 and 7.

There are slight improvements in MAX Orange headways during peak times, as mentioned earlier by @Transit Fan. I'll add that weekday/evening off-peak has also improved slightly to 25 minutes (currently 26).

1 • Bowness - Forest Lawn
Weekday — peak 13 or better (no change); midday 19 (currently 15); evening 25 (currently 20); late night 25-35 (currently 18-35)
Weekend — all day 25 (currently 25/19/25-35)

3 • Sandstone - Heritage
Weekday — peak 10 or better (no change); midday 12 (currently 10); evening 12 (currently 10); late night 20 (no change)
Weekend — morning/midday/evening 12 (currently 10); late night 20 (no change)

7 • South Calgary
Weekday — peak 10-15 (no change); midday 18 (currently 15); evening/late night 30 (currently 30)
Saturday — morning 30, midday 20, evening/late night 30 (no change)
Sunday — morning 30, midday 25, evening/late night 30 (no change)

Honestly, why didn't Transit just run the midday buses at a 20 minute headway? I mean, I know a frequency of 18 or 19 minutes probably looks better in terms kilometres travelled but for passengers, it makes transferring a pain when different services run at incompatible frequencies. (This wouldn't be a problem if those services ran often enough that it didn't matter.)

A few more questions: Do the people who cut services even use the buses? Do they know how crowded Routes 1, 3 and 7 can get during the day on a weekend?

And regarding Route 1 specifically: Although the weekend headways are to be 25 minutes all day long, I hope they use more than five buses to protect the schedule. That's what is currently done at night on weekends … and the slightest anomaly will throw schedule adherence into disarray.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, downbeat said:

I often ride the west segment of this route. Middays have been so-so on the line, I must admit. Ridership in the evening, however, is currently better than it was when the route changes took places last year. That winter especially was really brutal, IMHO, what with the line being completely unreliable for a time, so I totally understand if riders got frustrated and abandoned using the service. A frequency in reduction now, just when things appear to be improving, will not help the case to encourage people to use the bus. 

I feel like the west end is getting screwed.

I feel like the problem with the west end of the route 1 is that it's completely unpredictable, because you're right. I've been on buses going into downtown at 9:30 that have had maybe a dozen people, and buses going into downtown at 11 jammed full. However it's not going to be good when you have those situations of having two people with walkers, three strollers and a wheelchair if the route is running with 40 foot buses. I've seen it happen. It was not pretty. I definitely agree with your assessment of Bowness leg getting screwed though, because just 8 months ago they had...mostly reliable service every 12 minutes 6am to 6pm. And to them, I'm sure it feels like they're losing a good service for no reason whatsoever.

5 hours ago, downbeat said:

@Transit Fans

**Very sorry my phone is glitching and I couldn't remove the tag.

Honestly, why didn't Transit just run the midday buses at a 20 minute headway? I mean, I know a frequency of 18 or 19 minutes probably looks better in terms kilometres travelled but for passengers, it makes transferring a pain when different services run at incompatible frequencies. (This wouldn't be a problem if those services ran often enough that it didn't matter.)

A few more questions: Do the people who cut services even use the buses? Do they know how crowded Routes 1, 3 and 7 can get during the day on a weekend?

And regarding Route 1 specifically: Although the weekend headways are to be 25 minutes all day long, I hope they use more than five buses to protect the schedule. That's what is currently done at night on weekends … and the slightest anomaly will throw schedule adherence into disarray.

Oh boy you're preaching to the choir. My absolute favourite connection is from MAX Purple or 1 to the southbound 23. Until 3:41pm on weekdays it is absolutely impossible because with the exception of the route 1's at :16 past the hour, the bus always arrives approximately 60 seconds after the 23 has gone by. Without fail. 

As with the number of buses they'll use, maybe 6? I'd also like to dream about them using a few artics on weekends again but I know that's only a dream for now

Also also, route 82 will be getting buses every 30 minutes weekdays from 5:40-19:10

Route 1 changes are definitely a big downgrade for the west end. 25 minutes on weekends isn't great for a mainline crosstown route. It's tricky because the east end has too much overlap with the Max at the current frequency.

I think some possible solutions that would maintain good service for the west while keeping the overlap in the east to a minimum would be:

• Have the 305 operate off-peak to offset the reduced frequency on the 1
  • Split the route into two which allows each of them to have appropriate frequencies and service hours to serve their respective parts of the city
  • Have the 1 run at a higher frequency off-peak but short turn every other one coming in from the west (e.g. east would be every 25 but west would be every 12-13)

The latter would probably be a scheduling nightmare and be confusing for passengers.

It's tricky because the east end has too much overlap with the Max at the current frequency.

And if anyone at Transit ever asks you, you can tell them you told them so and that you predicted this very problem! ;) 

5 hours ago, Blake M said:

I've been on buses going into downtown at 9:30 that have had maybe a dozen people, and buses going into downtown at 11 jammed full. However it's not going to be good when you have those situations of having two people with walkers, three strollers and a wheelchair if the route is running with 40 foot buses. I've seen it happen. It was not pretty.

I have also seen this. If the school for young moms near Kensington/Crowchild is not in session during the summer, that will help with the stroller issue. But I've had a few instances where the front of the bus was jammed with strollers and walkers and anyone wanting to get on could only board by the back doors. (These were artics, thankfully.)

25 minutes on weekends isn't great for a mainline crosstown route.

Unless they find someway to service this with articulated buses, there will be some parts of the weekend when this is not going to go very well.

5 hours ago, Blake M said:

Also also, route 82 will be getting buses every 30 minutes weekdays from 5:40-19:10

Ah, some good news to celebrate!

P.S.: I going to take a guess and say these summer service revisions don't take into account whatever budget silliness will be coming out of city hall in July …

• Like 1

I didn't really need to predict anything. They had this same problem when they launched the 305 back in 2008. It started off as a 7 day service with really high frequency on weekdays. That lasted maybe a few signups before it slowly got downgraded with the removal of weekend service and eventually weekday off-peak service. It was just too similar to the 1 and the time savings were negligible because you often only skipped 1-2 stops between BRT stops so it's not really that much faster. It was a tough sell having two nearly identical routes running in parallel.

• Like 1