kevlo86

Calgary Transit

4 hours ago, reecemartin said:

Much like Frankfurt though the plan is to take the core underground eventually which means more capacity (though I think with some improvements and reconfiguration 7th could be enough since 5 minutes isn't even THAT high ) in particular adding a NW line branch to meet with the green line north central and a south line branch to Seton to meet the Green Line SE would make sense long term.

That doesn't really make sense, though. The lines will interchange at 7th Ave. 

Separating the Red and Blue lines, which is one of the main reasons for the 8th Ave subway, would remove pretty much all of the current frequency and capacity limits on each line, and prevent delays on one from interfering with the other. 

12 hours ago, M. Parsons said:

I suspect there will be no more branches on the high floor LRT network. And core frequency increases could be a challenge. What is the capacity of 7th Ave for train headways?

Suspect that any more branches, if even needed, would involve the Green line, and that will be many years down the road.

I don't know, it's not hard to visualize an Airport branch for the NE Blue Line if the city continues to expand in that direction.

And the current state leaves a lot of the new northern NW communities pretty far away from rail transit. Sage Hill and Evanston will be kinda-sorta close to the Green Line, enough that bus service will probably switch to there from Dalhousie, but whatever they build north of Citadel and Royal Oak, then past 144th, will be pretty isolated. A Red Line spur up Sarcee Trail would take care of that.

17 hours ago, Pantograf said:

A speculation by someone who has no idea of what's involved and how the system works. 5 minutes at peak times? 🙄

IIRC they run at 5 minute or higher frequencies at peak right now combined on 7th, is that not correct? I certainly am not 100% versed in Calgary's system but "no" idea is quite an overstatement.

1 hour ago, reecemartin said:

IIRC they run at 5 minute or higher frequencies at peak right now combined on 7th, is that not correct? I certainly am not 100% versed in Calgary's system but "no" idea is quite an overstatement.

There's a train roughly every 90 seconds - 2 minutes on 7th Avenue during rush hour.

2 hours ago, reecemartin said:

7th avenue is at capacity at 90-120 seconds as stated above.

https://www.calgarytransit.com/sites/default/files/reports/lrt_strategic_development_update.pdf

18 minutes ago, reecemartin said:

So will the new tunnel be happening sooner rather than later? 

The 8th ave tunnel is projected as "long term" and there's no funding for it.
https://www.calgarytransit.com/sites/default/files/content/PDF/2013-0118strategyaheadweb2.pdf

The Green line will free up some capacity for the Red line and push back the need for the 8th ave tunnel (sorry, I can't find the source or this).

No funding is available because as you said its projected to be a long-term plan if we wanted it to be built sooner I'm sure the funding could be found.

On 8/13/2018 at 12:29 PM, reecemartin said:

No funding is available because as you said its projected to be a long-term plan if we wanted it to be built sooner I'm sure the funding could be found.

Funding and priority of funding for all transit projects is strictly governed under the RouteAhead plan approved by council in late 2012-2013. Any amendments to this plan has to go through a rigerous process before being approved.

With that being said, it would travel through the core roughly 3-4 minutes late on a system that is arguably at capacity with currently traction power capibilities. This tunnel would also very force the red line to run from somerset-69 street station, which short term, is quite likely, unless a new south LRT storage facility is built, given the capacity limitations at Anderson and haysboro and the 2 tail tracks.

Fall Service Changes have been posted: https://www.calgarytransit.com/news/fall-service-changes

Nothing too exciting as far as route changes. Not too surprising considering the massive network overhaul which is expected to happen in November with the launch of MAX.

• A few deep SE routes (14, 302, 406, 468) modified to serve Joane Cardinal - Schubert High School.
  • #59 extended to Savannah and renamed as such.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Transit Fan said:

Fall Service Changes have been posted: https://www.calgarytransit.com/news/fall-service-changes

Nothing too exciting as far as route changes. Not too surprising considering the massive network overhaul which is expected to happen in November with the launch of MAX.

• A few deep SE routes (14, 302, 406, 468) modified to serve Joane Cardinal - Schubert High School.
  • #59 extended to Savannah and renamed as such.

Some of the changes they said confuse me. The route 31 stops were removed many months ago, they already moved the route 40 stop in June i think, the 96 is already at a 40 minute frequency, etc.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/calgary-transit-bus-door-damage-1.4791897 

Calgary police are asking for the public's help to find a man responsible for causing about $3,000 worth of damage to a city bus last month.

A man got onto a Calgary Transit shuttle bus at 52nd Street and McKenzie Towne Link S.E. just before 11 p.m. on July 1 and demanded that the driver get going.

The driver informed him the bus was on a set schedule and wouldn't leave until the designated time.

In response, the man began continually pulling the "stop cord," forcing the driver to activate an emergency button on his radio to get help removing the man from the bus.

The man then got off the bus, turned and kicked the glass door, causing it to shatter.

Damage is estimated at $3,000.

Not really sure what they mean by a "stop cord" given that it looks like this happened on an Arboc? 

Oh man, this Twitter thread from Saturday night … if this is real … I don't think I've quite seen/heard anything quite like this before.

• Like 1

Does anyone know how many of the articulated buses are currently used during rush hour? Between the 1, 3 and 301, there's about ~33 of them in service right now during mid-day at about 1pm. During rush hour, that number jumps up with the various express and school runs.

I wonder if the new MAX routes will use artics and if so, do we even have enough of them to go around? All the renderings and promotional videos released thus far regarding the BRT service always show artics being used.

We are monitoring closely for efficient service delivery through varying economic conditions, operating and capital funding variability and changing customer expectations. Technological advancements and the emergence of transportation network companies, and other innovative service delivery is changing the transit industry. Given the limited availability of capital funds, first priority will be given to ensure the system is safe while other priorities like infrastructure improvements may be delayed leading to less reliable service. There will be impacts to customer experience with less investment in fleet, stations and buildings. Over the next few years, 40-year-old U2 trains will continue retire but without replacements, service will gradually be reduced to 3-car service. We keenly prepare for the construction and delivery of the new Green Line LRT which will influence the entire system.

From the agenda for tomorrow's City Council meeting discussing transportation and transit. Quote in question comes from Page 7 of the document. Some pretty bleak outlooks... 

https://pub-calgary.escribemeetings.com/FileStream.ashx?DocumentId=65851

On 9/5/2018 at 10:01 PM, School Bus 101 said:

From the agenda for tomorrow's City Council meeting discussing transportation and transit. Quote in question comes from Page 7 of the document. Some pretty bleak outlooks... 

https://pub-calgary.escribemeetings.com/FileStream.ashx?DocumentId=65851

3 car trains in five years heading to the Northeast and South at rush hour equals disaster

2 hours ago, Blake M said:

3 car trains in five years heading to the Northeast and South at rush hour equals disaster

Yup back to square one. I'm sure we will hear some publicity with the media about this and eventually a push for funding for more cars... then eventually a press release regarding a purchase to replace the aging fleet. 

• Like 2

Perhaps it's because I'm paying closer attention than I used to … but I've seen a lot of complaints on Twitter to Calgary Transit about full buses … more than I remember after the last few schedule changes. There was one today about a shuttle serving Line 94 leaving Westbrook being crammed full in late afternoon. On and off all week, I've read complaints about the 18 leaving downtown in the morning being packed full, two or three buses in a row. Also saw pleas to add frequency on the 82 in the morning as well. I'm hoping it's not just me and we are witnessing an uptick in usage. With hope Transit will be able to address these passengers' need.

9 hours ago, downbeat said:

Perhaps it's because I'm paying closer attention than I used to … but I've seen a lot of complaints on Twitter to Calgary Transit about full buses … more than I remember after the last few schedule changes. There was one today about a shuttle serving Line 94 leaving Westbrook being crammed full in late afternoon. On and off all week, I've read complaints about the 18 leaving downtown in the morning being packed full, two or three buses in a row. Also saw pleas to add frequency on the 82 in the morning as well. I'm hoping it's not just me and we are witnessing an uptick in usage. With hope Transit will be able to address these passengers' need.

The complaints about the 94 have been there since day one of shuttles on that route. Same with the 18, every September, its always overloaded from September to April.

2 hours ago, Blake M said:

The complaints about the 94 have been there since day one of shuttles on that route. Same with the 18, every September, its always overloaded from September to April.

I wonder why they don’t do anything about it then … tell people to use transit and then not provide the service. Seems like a recipe for disappointment. 

1 hour ago, downbeat said:

I wonder why they don’t do anything about it then … tell people to use transit and then not provide the service. Seems like a recipe for disappointment. 

Why not ask the question “what does transit do when such reports come in” rather that bluntly stating “transit does nothing” or “transit won’t do anything”. I will be the first to challenge unnamed members on that claim all day long and happily discuss further with said members.

What i can say without being a conflict of interest is what people say and claim happens or is happening is either exaggerated or falsafied a high (significantly high) percentage of the time. “There is atleast 1 person on a 2 person seat on this bus” is often “this bus is full and we need more service”. “I have to stand” often means “the bus is full we need 2 more buses”. CUTA will be the first to standup for transit properties in that a full bus is a bus when people are left behind. You are not guaranteed a seat.

What people (including people on this board) often fail to realize is that they make their claim but there is significant data, primarly passenger counters, onboard cameras and operator reports, that are pulled and analyized on a regular basis. There is atleast one person on this board who does said job for transit and in discussions with them, there is a significant discrepancy in what is reported and what is actually happening. The City of Calgary has never given into a “customer is always right” motive because that is a burden on tax payers. Instead, the City will provide their data to defend themselves and standup for the decisions have made. When you ask the customer if they are aware, they are very quick to withdraw their concern. Again, atleast one person on this board does that for transit.

September and the start of school has always been big for overloads, as it is across all CUTA properties. If we took the whole month of September the last 3 school years, there are well over 600 overloads (average of 30 a day). Schedulers and planners have traditionally added new blocks of work to support overloads. Might i remind members that last year, 46 blocks of work were added between the start and end of september. Going into the december signup, there were even more added. Between October and December that average dropped to about 8-10 a day, consistent to other CUTA properties with similar ridership, and between 3-5 a day after January, one of the best within CUTA properties.

If we look at the Route 18 alone, roughly 40 overloads were captured on ATC, OCS or Reported by Operators last September, 35 of those in the first 2 weeks of September before 2 blocks were switched to articulated buses and 1 block was added, Roughly 15 between October and December and Roughly 15 between January and June.

• Like 2