kevlo86

Calgary Transit

1 hour ago, downbeat said:

Interesting … until yesterday I had only ever heard little beeps coming from drivers’ on-board computer as a notification for their 2345 and 0020 timed departures, never a human controller telling drivers its good to go and wishing them a good night.

Happened all the time in Winnipeg, they'd line it all up downtown and have a transit supervisor give the all-clear at 1:38am, every single night. I've never really seen it here though, since I moved. But then again, I'm always on the trains after 12am, and the lack of any significant bus service after 12am, I usually avoid the bus after that time, so I don't get stuck anywhere and be forced to shell out $40 for a cab, because there's no overnight transit service in a city of 1.2 million... :P

4 hours ago, downbeat said:

Interesting … until yesterday I had only ever heard little beeps coming from drivers’ on-board computer as a notification for their 2345 and 0020 timed departures, never a human controller telling drivers its good to go and wishing them a good night.

The CAD system has been on voice fallback for three days now, due to issues with the CAD system. It essentially reverts the system back to open radio channel (like it was pre-CAD).  This is also why the real time is not working. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, armorand said:

[…] there's no overnight transit service in a city of 1.2 million... :P

One day I will write an epic rant about this, haha!

1 hour ago, School Bus 101 said:

7997 location glitch?

7997.JPG

There was a serious crash out there involving a private bus earlier, the road was closed, it might've been brought out for shelter?

17 minutes ago, Blake M said:

There was a serious crash out there involving a private bus earlier, the road was closed, it might've been brought out for shelter?

That or it was off route.. pretty common for one of those buses to go off route in that area.

• Haha 3

That's awesome, today I also learned that the very first bus to start service in the morning is a southbound 23, followed by a southbound 43. Then I lost track since a bunch of other routes started up at the same time afterwards! 😂

Also interesting to see how much more bus activity there is in the north part of the city compared to the south.

• Like 3

Is this extrapolated from schedules or is there GPS information from the trains published somewhere? I've never seen any external service that uses real-time data from the train, I'm guessing this is (or was) because it's not available.

55 minutes ago, chills_on_the_train said:

Is this extrapolated from schedules or is there GPS information from the trains published somewhere? I've never seen any external service that uses real-time data from the train, I'm guessing this is (or was) because it's not available.

It would be extrapolated from schedule data.

• Like 1

It's funny how I hear about this stuff before it gets published out on on the media.

Great tool I hope it works for people that need to use it.

4 hours ago, LRT said:

It's funny how I hear about this stuff before it gets published out on on the media.

Great tool I hope it works for people that need to use it.

Definitely is nice to have, but they could also use alot more "passenger assist/emergency" buttons and levers, around the train stations themselves. Would make me feel safer, if they did, versus just a cellphone "hotline" service. 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, TechSpotlight said:

Even better, 7777 on the 777.

I suppose 77 Edgemont would come in a close second 😉

• Like 2

What happened to the MIDI bus that Calgary Transit was testing and why did they go with the Arbocs instead? I am assuming they got a deal they could not refuse...

9 hours ago, green_line_26 said:

What happened to the MIDI bus that Calgary Transit was testing and why did they go with the Arbocs instead? I am assuming they got a deal they could not refuse...

The Vicinities were sent back to Grande West Transportation in 2018. By the way the orders were placed, it looks like they never intended to place an order

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Imgursdownvote4love said:

The Vicinities were sent back to Grande West Transportation in 2018. By the way the orders were placed, it looks like they never intended to place an order

To add onto your post... aparently the Vicinities were pure junk in terms of reliability, often meaning some units would sit at Spring Gardens, unused for quite long periods of time.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TechSpotlight said:

To add onto your post... aparently the Vicinities were pure junk in terms of reliability, often meaning some units would sit at Spring Gardens, unused for quite long periods of time.

That order seemed to cut corners wherever they could. Compared to Edmonton's and Saskatoon's, they were complete crap

5 hours ago, TechSpotlight said:

That's too bad. Ironic though, considering they were supposed to be more reliable as a "real" bus instead of a conversion like the Arbocs. They did look nice.