Calgary Transit

kevlo86

I've noticed that since Saturday morning, there appears to be a problem/outage relating to whatever technology Transit uses to relay real-time information. There are currently no GPS-tracked times in the Transit app and adherence is not available on Transit55. And perhaps this is related: a bus driver told me yesterday he wasn't able to control what his destination sign was displaying (it kept reverting to the wrong endpoint every time he tried to set it manually).

• Like 1

Made an accidental discovery just now … from the Transit App (the one with the green logo, not Calgary Transit's re-skin) you can toggle on the schedules for November 19 and onwards. They are identified as "Calgary Transit (Nov 19)" under the Bus menu in Settings. Visible in Android and iOS versions of the app.

Screenshot_20181009-013733.png Screenshot_20181009-013911.png Screenshot_20181009-014020.png Screenshot_20181009-014148.png Screenshot_20181009-014523.thumb.png.423feb7658e7422e4015c27b65a2a1b3.png

P.S. The (Nov 19) schedule behaves as if it’s in effect … so for obvious reasons, I don’t recommend leaving both schedules switched on!

• Like 1

On 10/7/2018 at 1:17 PM, downbeat said:

And perhaps this is related: a bus driver told me yesterday he wasn't able to control what his destination sign was displaying (it kept reverting to the wrong endpoint every time he tried to set it manually).

Today I've noticed that.  There is a signup that does the 98, then the 453, then the 156.  I've been seeing far too many buses with their signs set as 98 running the 453 among other combinations.  Very irritating to me as I got on the wrong bus by mistake :P 

• Confused 1

18 hours ago, downbeat said:

… schedules for November 19 and onwards … Visible in Android and iOS versions of the app.

I get the feeling this was not meant to be visible to the public. The option to see (Nov 19) schedules in Transit has now disappeared … but the schedule data from that period is now mixed in with the current ones in both the Calgary Transit and Transit apps. People have noticed and are tweeting to Calgary Transit about the resulting confusion.

UPDATE: Default schedule data has been restored to normal in both apps; the (Nov 19) toggle has returned to Transit; the (Nov 19) toggle is now available in the Calgary Transit app too.

17 hours ago, CTrainDude said:

Yes, there will be training. 

Thanks for confirming. I guess we'll be seeing training buses out on the transitway prior to launch on the 19th.

It'll be an adjustment for everyone having actual buses running on it. Lots of pedestrians have been standing in the median waiting for breaks in traffic to cross the avenue.

• 2 weeks later...

I just noticed that the schedules for Christmas Day 2018 are available online. There's some changes compared to previous years as a result of the new bus network. Included below are the mid-day frequencies.

• Route 1 (26 mins)
  • Route 3 (18 mins)
  • Route 8 (45 mins) *New; connections to two hospitals*
  • Route 9 (40 mins) *New; replaces 72/73*
  • Route 14 (45 mins)
  • Route 38 (40 mins) *New; replaces 72/73*
  • Route 43 (45 mins) *New; replaces 72/73*
  • Route 100 (45 mins)
  • Route 300 (30 mins)
  • Route 301 (20 mins)
  • Route 302 (30 mins)
  • Red Line (15 mins)
  • Blue Line (15 mins)
  • MAX Purple/Orange/Teal (All 30 mins) *New*

It's nice to see the inclusion of the MAX routes considering they're part of the primary rapid transit service now. Also, Route 20 is no longer a Christmas day service since MAX Teal and Route 9 cover that already.

• Like 2

On 11/4/2018 at 9:38 AM, Transit Fan said:

I just noticed that the schedules for Christmas Day 2018 are available online.

Your post got me curious about New Year's Eve … and additional late-night service on select routes is now viewable at well!

NYE extended service includes almost all routes that have run late in the past, plus the Max routes.

EDIT: Interestingly, the schedule shows some routes (6, 7, 24, 112, that I could see) now have a shorter service span, with their final departures leaving the core around 2:20 a.m. (Or is that an error or some kind?)

Also, Route 17 appears not to be part of the late-night service this time around.

5 hours ago, downbeat said:

Your post got me curious about New Year's Eve … and additional late-night service on selected routes is now viewable at well!

NYE extended service includes almost all routes that have run late in the past, plus the Max routes.

EDIT: Interestingly, the schedule shows some routes (6, 7, 24, 112, that I could see) now have a shorter service span, with their final departures leaving the core around 2:20 a.m. (Or is that an error or some kind?)

Also, Route 17 appears not to be part of the late-night service this time around.

Dont mean to derail the conversation but is it just me or should the 17 not really exist anymore? The only time I really see any people on it are the rush hour commuters to/from Renfrew. Perhaps it's just my timing?

6 hours ago, Blake M said:

Dont mean to derail the conversation but is it just me or should the 17 not really exist anymore? The only time I really see any people on it are the rush hour commuters to/from Renfrew. Perhaps it's just my timing?

Sometimes people will use it to go from Downtown to 4th Street, but a lot of times there arent many people who use it. Its not really a surprise when they sent 40 footers that were completely  empty during new years eve when they had that late night service.

• Like 1

Not sure where to post this but there's a watermain break on 14th Street and Heritage Drive. Closing a turning lane from Heritage to 14th and Completely from Heritage Park to cross 14th Street. 

No left turns from Heritage to 14th Street. 

Bus 80 - Oakridge (Only route that turns left from Heritage to 14th) ended up going right on 14th Street, turning around at Glenmore! I thought I mistakenly got on the 20 or 306 when the bus turned! 

Anyone know when they typically update the signs at bus stops when there is a route revision?

Starting to see shelters and poles for stop signage go up along 17th Ave SE for the 87 and 155 but that's probably more due to the ongoing construction work there.

I haven't seen anything done for existing stops. Do they usually do it a day or two before? There's a lot of stops to go through this time.