kevlo86

Calgary Transit

3 hours ago, Chinese Daniel said:

So i have to Ask somethink:

If the VP and Anderson will be only form Monday and Friday, where is the 301 and route 3 artic come form in future , SG? 

Weekday artics will continue to come out of victoria park garage. No artics will be dispatched on weekends.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 2018-02-03 at 2:17 AM, Gsgeek540 said:

Weekday artics will continue to come out of victoria park garage. No artics will be dispatched on weekends.

Unless they're required for CTrain replacement....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ElmerJrG said:

I know there's an RFP but who wants to bet if we're getting XN40s? :)

It'll be that or Nova CNG. One of the two.

• Like 1

It's nice to see that CT buses have been displaying the message that the "Snow parking ban in effect".

Is this new? I feel like I haven't seen it before when there were snow parking bans in place.

1 hour ago, Transit Fan said:

It's nice to see that CT buses have been displaying the message that the "Snow parking ban in effect".

Is this new? I feel like I haven't seen it before when there were snow parking bans in place.

I noticed it programmed into the signs about a month or two ago.   But it was probably there long before that.  

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, BCT-3122-D800-10240 said:

I noticed it programmed into the signs about a month or two ago.   But it was probably there long before that.  

I noticed that in Edmonton a week and a half ago  during their huge snow storm. Edmonton transit buses were displaying that as well

• Like 1

On 2018/2/4 at 9:35 PM, ElmerJrG said:

I know there's an RFP but who wants to bet if we're getting XN40s? :)

On 2018/2/4 at 11:47 PM, Blake M said:

It'll be that or Nova CNG. One of the two.

My friend's is a MTA newyork drive, Every day he drive the XN40's, now he can't wait drive the XN60 in future.

But i also like CNG nova, but i did not get a ride on those bus yet, they are ok for me.

More photos today!

7779 and 7814, both D40LFs

https://www.flickr.com/photos/technologyspotlight/40230192632/in/dateposted/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/technologyspotlight/25403789377/in/dateposted/

8142, a Nova Bus LFS 40102.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/technologyspotlight/40230192322/in/dateposted/

8142 was pulled over at a CT bus stop next to a Petro Canada.  The operator was most likely getting something to eat or going to use the restroom, since there were no more kids on his school service run.

Hey everyone, I’m from Toronto, and have been following this forum, and Calgary’s transit developments for around a decade now. I have a strong respect for the CTrain, but I have a few questions about the network:

1) From watching cab ride videos, and observing the bi-directional signalling, the system looks to be able to operate both ways on a single track, obviously with reduced frequencies. But does this ever happen in regular service? (i.e. during scheduled maintenance, or an extended service disruption.) I haven’t seen any videos of this, so I’d like to ask actual Calgarians this.

2) Once Calgary Transit planned on operating 4 car (8 module) trains, why did they order (2 module) married pairs? The S200 cars are absolutely beautiful, but there’s a ridiculous total of 8 operator cabs on a 4 car train. Four module cars would have seemed like a much better choice. Was this even an option, or does Siemens only offer the S200 in 2 module units? Could they have made them with only one cab and secondary controls, like the Eglinton Crosstown Freedoms coming to Toronto?

3) Is there a planned refurbishment for the U2 units that won’t be retired (pretty much what Edmonton did)? I mean: repaint to current livery, LED destos/interior signage/”infotainment” system, new seats, etc. Sorry if these units have been modernized at all, I just haven’t found any pictures.

5 hours ago, TTC_1203 said:

Hey everyone, I’m from Toronto, and have been following this forum, and Calgary’s transit developments for around a decade now. I have a strong respect for the CTrain, but I have a few questions about the network:

1) From watching cab ride videos, and observing the bi-directional signalling, the system looks to be able to operate both ways on a single track, obviously with reduced frequencies. But does this ever happen in regular service? (i.e. during scheduled maintenance, or an extended service disruption.) I haven’t seen any videos of this, so I’d like to ask actual Calgarians this.

2) Once Calgary Transit planned on operating 4 car (8 module) trains, why did they order (2 module) married pairs? The S200 cars are absolutely beautiful, but there’s a ridiculous total of 8 operator cabs on a 4 car train. Four module cars would have seemed like a much better choice. Was this even an option, or does Siemens only offer the S200 in 2 module units? Could they have made them with only one cab and secondary controls, like the Eglinton Crosstown Freedoms coming to Toronto?

3) Is there a planned refurbishment for the U2 units that won’t be retired (pretty much what Edmonton did)? I mean: repaint to current livery, LED destos/interior signage/”infotainment” system, new seats, etc. Sorry if these units have been modernized at all, I just haven’t found any pictures.

I'm probably not the best to answer these questions, so feel free to correct me anyone.

1) Single tracking can happen sometimes when police have held a train somewhere or a train has broken down. It can also occur when there's a power issue or they need to do maintenance on or near only one track

2) from my understanding Siemens only sells single-articulation cars

3) the U2's are slowly being phased out. From what I've heard, the Edmonton refurbishments didn't go as well as planned, and if you check out the "U2 retirements" feed, some of the cars are simply past the point of refurbishment. If I'm not wrong, 23 of the S200's are to replace U2's, and then the next order of cars will get rid of the rest

6 hours ago, TTC_1203 said:

1) As Blake has mentioned, those are the usual examples of single track use, and I believe both the Red and Blue line are able to operate single tracking. (Someone can clarify for me)

2) Siemens in Sacramento (where most Light Rail Vehicles and trams are made) does build single-articulated trains, but the S70 (a tram model sold by Siemens) is bi-articulated and I think it's the exception. The reason we continue using single-articulated cars is for flexibility within the fleet. Since trains are 4 cars in length, we can switch out individual cars if they are needed for maintenance or if they break down. In cases where a car breaks down, they will usually remove the car that is broken if its the lead or tail car and let the train set operate as a 3 car train (This is based on my experience witnessing such events, so someone who's more knowledgeable can add on to what I have). It's just more easier to operate the same style and it avoids issues where an entire train set would go out of service if it was a full 4 car train permanently. Plus, we don't have the facilities to provide maintenance to cars longer than the standard design right now. I'm not sure if the S200 can be redesigned for additional space, since only Calgary and San Fransico MUNI operates S200s.

3) Our U2s are very old, and are much more worn-out than Edmonton's U2s. We operate them more often than they do, and our U2s are exposed to the weather much more than Edmonton's (remember that Edmonton's Capital Line runs like a subway underground in downtown, while ours is street level). Due to these factors and many others, the U2s in Calgary are much more older looking and rusting much faster than Edmonton's. The city did look at the possibility of refurbishing them, but didn't go ahead and it was deemed cheaper to get new cars than refurbish the old ones.

I should point out that our SD-160 model is getting refurbished as we speak! We have no details as to when it will return from Sacramento, but in case you want to read on the thread, here you go: 

On 3/9/2018 at 2:20 PM, TTC_1203 said:

Here's the document discussing why they chose not to refurbishing the U2's.

TLDR: refurbishing would have costed $2.2 million/car to upgrade them to modern standards (security cameras, air conditioning, wheelchair ramps, etc) and would only extend their lifespans by 10 years. The S200's costed $3.6 million and would last 30+ years.

U2 Fleet Refurbishment or Replacement.pdf

9 hours ago, TTC_1203 said:

For the most part the replies that I've seen are pretty bang on to what I would have said.

As far as single-tracking in bi-directional territory this can only happen between Whitehorn and Saddletowne on the Blue Line and of course on the West LRT. Everywhere else on the blue line it's all manual. The operator is required to have a manual block system clearance permit issued by control and a whole bunch of other things need to happen before a train can be routed through "against the current of traffic".

It's actually more common then you think to see trains travel through bi-directional territory or the current traffic. It works very well, rail control can select a routing for a specific train and the operator actually has control of the interlockings (with permission of control of course) and is able to route itself in case rail control is unable too. 

As far as ordering trains Siemens will build you anything you want... One cab cars has been brought up for the series 9s... logistically it would be near impossible to have a train with a cab pointed in the right direction at any given time. We have to remember back in the day we used to run one car trains. And even very recently we have been running two car trains between Brentwood and Tuscany stations while maintenance work was being conducted in the northwest. Besides there really wouldn't be that much of a cost savings with the one cab so the dual cabs were kept on the S200s Calgary Transit got a really good deal on these cars... I believe they paid just under 3.5 million and. for each car.

The U2's are beyond toast... they are so done and need to be replaced right away. Calgary Transit biggest issue with the U2s right now is corrosion and lack of parts. Edmonton Transit U2's are an unbelievable condition even before they're refurb they were absolutely amazing. However Edmonton Transit U2s are in desperate need for parts... Rumor Has It Edmonton Transit is receiving three or four of the Calgary's cars for parts just to keep theirs going.. (oops did I just spill the beans?)

Calgary Transit used to have two AC-U2 cars cars 2101 and 2102. Recently car 2102 was retired and car 2101 was retrofitted into a state-of-the-art catenary and rail inspection vehicle. It's been named "The Scout"

20180309_150508.jpg

20180309_150508.thumb.jpg.066867ffd283495ce277769ececc49c6.jpg

• Like 3

Thank you very much to everyone that took the time to reply! Very interesting stuff! I seriously had no idea either that the U2s were in such bad shape. I look forward to visiting Calgary one day, and experiencing this wonderful system in person.

• Like 2