Calgary Transit

kevlo86

On 7/2/2022 at 8:15 PM, 1604 said:

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/city-administration-recommends-removing-calgarys-last-remaining-bus-traps

City administration recommends removing Calgary's last remaining bus traps

Considering the extreme lack of mobility for cars in neighborhoods around the traps, along with pissed suburbanites complaining about commutes (and Uber lack of access = higher fares), I assume the Scenic Acres & Ranchland ones will be priority on the list. Those two have definitely been the most annoying. But the Center St one... that would be interesting. Traffic management perhaps?

2 hours ago, armorand said:

Considering the extreme lack of mobility for cars in neighborhoods around the traps, along with pissed suburbanites complaining about commutes (and Uber lack of access = higher fares), I assume the Scenic Acres & Ranchland ones will be priority on the list. Those two have definitely been the most annoying. But the Center St one... that would be interesting. Traffic management perhaps?

I totally understand the city's own complaint about the traps — when they do their job properly and a car gets stuck in one. buses can't go through until said car is removed. That can't be much fun for Calgary Transit or its passengers. Also, I didn't realize community shuttles couldn't go through these traps …

4 hours ago, armorand said:

I have to say you are mistaken on that. The one between Dalhousie and Ranchlands was filled in several years ago, and a bus gate has been in its place ever since, especially now with shuttles going past that area all the time. The scenic acres one (connecting crowfoot centre/lrt) is a gate and the one by Schmitar bay was filled with a plot of grass a decade ago and is nothing now.

4 hours ago, armorand said:

35 minutes ago, R. Meu said:

I have to say you are mistaken on that. The one between Dalhousie and Ranchlands was filled in several years ago, and a bus gate has been in its place ever since, especially now with shuttles going past that area all the time. The scenic acres one (connecting crowfoot centre/lrt) is a gate and the one by Schmitar bay was filled with a plot of grass a decade ago and is nothing now.

Don’t forget that the Lake Bonavista trap is filled 2, with a gate, and the 2 Queensland traps are covered, with a gate in between.

As the article states, 5 trap in use. North Haven, Centre Street, Beaver Dam (2 traps) Village Square and Vista Heights. There are also unused traps in Rocky Ridge, Strathcona (barricaded), and Silver Springs (gated off). I think I’m missing one

As for the inconvenience for buses, significantly overstated.

The shuttle factor is legit. However, I dont think the 4, 5, 19, 34, 48 would ever go shuttle and I doubt the 33 would be extended beyond Vista Heights Terminal off peak

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gsgeek540 said:

As the article states, 5 trap in use. North Haven, Centre Street, Beaver Dam (2 traps) Village Square and Vista Heights. There are also unused traps in Rocky Ridge, Strathcona (barricaded), and Silver Springs (gated off). I think I’m missing one

Rockyvale Drive would be the other one…. it was built and never used, and is still not barricaded or cut off.

5 hours ago, armorand said:

Ranchlands will never be.opened up to car traffic because that would require a total reconstruction of that underpass for a negligible amount of vehicle traffic 

2 hours ago, chills_on_the_train said:

Anyone know if the current Rogers outage is affecting debit/credit payments at the ticket machines at Ctrain stations? I took the car today, but the wife and kid were gonna go to the Stampede.

Debit payments were not working at all, however credit cards still worked.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Some highlights for the up coming sign up:

Route 23 evening service increased from 26 minutes to 22 minutes 

Route 303 midday increased from 26 minutes to 21 minutes 

Route 301 AM/PM trips increased to 5 minutes from 07:00-08:20 and 15:30-17:00 ish.

201 rush hour frequency every 3-4 minutes (18 keys to 23 keys)

202 rush hour frequency every 4-5 minutes (14 keys -19 keys )

Route 53 will reroute to service bowfort rd and greenbriar way.

Route 408 will no longer service bowfort rd 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, vicinity said:

Route 301 AM/PM trips increased to 5 minutes from 07:00-08:20 and 15:30-17:00 ish.

201 rush hour frequency every 3-4 minutes 

202 rush hour frequency every 4-5 minutes 

Happy to hear about the 53/408. The 408 is already so long!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vicinity said:

201 rush hour frequency every 3-4 minutes 

202 rush hour frequency every 4-5 minutes 

Nice to see C-train frequencies increasing during peak hours, is there any word though if mid-day train frequencies will remain at 15 minute intervals for this next sign up? 

8 minutes ago, ProfessorWho said:

Nice to see C-train frequencies increasing during peak hours, is there any word though if mid-day train frequencies will remain at 15 minute intervals for this next sign up? 

As of now they will stay at 15 minutes 

On 7/30/2022 at 12:17 PM, PartiallySD said:

I wonder if the 53/408 change is to support the opening of the new Gateway extension of the Entertainment Hub Shopping Centre up there, or at the very least facilitate it eventually. Any word on the specifics of the new 53 routing yet?

Route 53 will simply service both traffic circles on Bowfort Road and enter Greenwood Village via Greenbriar Drive instead of Juniper Drive (like they did in their detour this past winter)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 7/31/2022 at 6:39 PM, Gsgeek540 said:

Route 53 will simply service both traffic circles on Bowfort Road and enter Greenwood Village via Greenbriar Drive instead of Juniper Drive (like they did in their detour this past winter)

Ah, not too bad I guess. Still, with Trinity Hills being marketed as this “walkable, non car dependent, and transit friendly” neighbourhood, you’d think….

27 minutes ago, PartiallySD said:

Ah, not too bad I guess. Still, with Trinity Hills being marketed as this “walkable, non car dependent, and transit friendly” neighbourhood, you’d think….

In all fairness, Auburn Bay was marketed as having an LRT in 5 to 10 years…and how’s that going… These communities market themselves without having any concrete agreements or plans in place. Frankly hopefully the community thats had a high school with 1500 students and massive commercial development get all day service before services extended to this new development.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Gsgeek540 said:

In all fairness, Auburn Bay was marketed as having an LRT in 5 to 10 years…and how’s that going… These communities market themselves without having any concrete agreements or plans in place. Frankly hopefully the community thats had a high school with 1500 students and massive commercial development get all day service before services extended to this new development.

Oh, overzealous developers and municipal bureaucracy… what’s new? 

4 hours ago, R. Meu said:

It seems the last remaining vehicle traps across the city will be filled within a year or two…

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.6540546

The map in the article is interesting. It shows the location of the long gone Scenic Acres @ Nose hill Dr trap location. The map also shows the Varsity estates @ Sarcee TR trap, and lastly the never used Rockey ridge trap. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, vicinity said:

The map in the article is interesting. It shows the location of the long gone Scenic Acres @ Nose hill Dr trap location. The map also shows the Varsity estates @ Sarcee TR trap, and lastly the never used Rockey ridge trap. 

You guys forgot to mention the Vista Heights bus trap

2 hours ago, DB 1999 said:

You guys forgot to mention the Vista Heights bus trap

The user was mentioning oddities, such as previously decomissioned, convered and or unused traps. Whats odd about a bus trap that is used 7 days a week?

• Like 1