Calgary Transit

kevlo86

The new schedules effective February 14 have been published on the Calgary Transit website. Keys/blocks are also visible on Transit 55. 

Some of the weekday changes will have a noticeable impact on some riders who are now able to show up at a bus stop without checking a schedule. I haven't studied weekends closely yet but from a quick look, things appear to be status quo. If it wasn't already clear how staffing shortages are affecting the transit workforce, some major routes will have more frequent service on weekends and stat holidays than they do on a weekday. 

Anyway, below is what I was able to synthesize from one pass at the schedules — and as with before, please don't consider this a comprehensive or an authoritative list. Please excuse any typos/errors, if any.

301: ~18-20 minutes peak and midday; 40 minutes evening

302: 10-23 minutes a.m. peak; 20-30 minutes p.m. peak; 25-40 minutes midday and evening

303 Eastbound: 21 minutes a.m. peak; ~25 minutes midday; 11+ minutes p.m. peak; 23-30 minutes evening

303 Westbound: 11+ minutes a.m. peak; ~25 minutes midday; 21-24 minutes p.m. peak; 23-30 minutes evening

304: Pre-Omicron service restored

305: Pre-Omicron service restored

306: Pre-Omicron service restored

307: ~26 minutes all day (with a few weird headways to accommodate Chestermere service)

1: ~30 minutes all day

2: 20 minute peak; 27 minutes midday

3: 13 minutes peak (i.e. extras deleted); 15 minutes midday; ~30 minutes evening

4/5: 27 minutes peak and midday

6: Pre-Omicron service restored

7: ~27 minutes all day

8: some peak/school extras removed; 35 minutes midday; 35 minutes early evening

9: 20 minutes peak; 40 minutes midday

10: 45 minutes all day; southbound service span extended at end of day

13: Pre-Omicron service restored

14 Bridlewood: Frequent peak services (they look close to normal); 45 minutes midday and evening

14 Cranston: 45 minutes all day with limited number of peak extras

17: Pre-Omicron service restored

19: Pre-Omicron service restored

20: 26 minutes all day

21: 23 minutes peak and midday

23: some peak reductions; 30 minutes midday

28: 60 minutes all day

31: 35 minutes all day

32: Pre-Omicron service restored

33: Pre-Omicron service restored

34: ~18 minutes peak; 40 minutes midday

37: 36 minutes peak and midday

38: ~19 minutes peak; 23 minutes midday

42: 20 minutes a.m. peak; 15-20 minutes p.m. peak; 40 minutes midday and evening

43: peak services near-normal; ~22 minutes midday

48: 19 minutes peak; 40 minutes midday and evening

49: 19 minutes peak; 40 minutes midday and evening

53: Pre-Omicron service restored

57: Pre-Omicron service restored

65: Pre-Omicron service restored

71: ~23/24 minutes all day

83: 60 minutes all day

93: Pre-Omicron service restored

98/156/453: Pre-Omicron service restored

109: Pre-Omicron service restored

111: Pre-Omicron service restored

145: Pre-Omicron service restored

148: ~20 minutes peak

149: Pre-Omicron service restored

174: Pre-Omicron service restored

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, downbeat said:

I haven't studied weekends closely yet but from a quick look, things appear to be status quo.

Aside from vehicle sizes on a few routes, which may fluctuate on a day to day/week by week basis, weekends are infact virtually status quo.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, downbeat said:

The new schedules effective February 14 have been published on the Calgary Transit website. Keys/blocks are also visible on Transit 55. 

Some of the weekday changes will have a noticeable impact on some riders who are now able to show up at a bus stop without checking a schedule. I haven't studied weekends closely yet but from a quick look, things appear to be status quo. If it wasn't already clear how staffing shortages are affecting the transit workforce, some major routes will have more frequent service on weekends and stat holidays than they do on a weekday. 

Anyway, below is what I was able to synthesize from one pass at the schedules — and as with before, please don't consider this a comprehensive or an authoritative list. Please excuse any typos/errors.

The only service with net improvements is MAX Orange, with slightly better headways at rush hour in the a.m. eastbound.

302: 10-23 minutes a.m. peak; 20-30 minutes p.m. peak; 25-40 minutes midday and evening

303 Eastbound: 21 minutes a.m. peak; ~25 minutes midday; 12 minutes p.m. peak; 23-30 minutes evening

303 Westbound: 11-17 minutes a.m. peak; ~25 minutes midday; 21-24 minutes p.m. peak; 23-30 minutes evening

307: ~26 minutes all day (with a few weird headways to accommodate Chestermere service)

3: 13 minutes peak (i.e. extras deleted); 15 minutes midday; ~30 minutes evening

8: some peak/school extras removed; 33 minutes midday; 35 minutes early evening

14 Bridlewood: Frequent peak services (they look close to normal); 45 minutes midday and evening

28: 60 minutes all day (i.e. peak extras deleted)

42: 20 minutes a.m. peak; 15-20 minutes p.m. peak; 40 minutes midday and evening

14 and 301 every 40-45 minutes? That should go over well ?

3 hours ago, downbeat said:

Anyway, below is what I was able to synthesize from one pass at the schedules — and as with before, please don't consider this a comprehensive or an authoritative list. Please excuse any typos/errors.

The only service with net improvements is MAX Orange, with slightly better headways at rush hour in the a.m. eastbound.

303 Eastbound: 21 minutes a.m. peak; ~25 minutes midday; 12 minutes p.m. peak; 23-30 minutes evening

303 Westbound: 11-17 minutes a.m. peak; ~25 minutes midday; 21-24 minutes p.m. peak; 23-30 minutes evening

Well that’s sad, 301 service is worse then weekends

4 hours ago, downbeat said:

Looks pretty rough for mainline routes like the 14 and 301, as well as others such as the 8 and 9 for what its worth. 

On the other hand, I’m surprised they reinstated that trip on the 109 given how few people take that route nowadays (and that goes with most of the expresses, in particular the 70 in terms of how poor the ridership is).

2 hours ago, Blake M said:

2 hours ago, Souluxy said:

Well that’s sad, 301 service is worse then weekends

I am unfamiliar with Route 14, so I'll leave commentary to the rest of you!

As for Route 301, during the day, frequencies are comparable to weekend service. Assuming the line continues to be run with articulated buses Monday-Friday, then capacity will be higher than on the weekend.

One saving grace: People don't *have* to use Route 301 if they don't absolutely need to.

At rush hour, all the Centre Street expresses have been sharing stops with Route 301 for a little while now. This means riders can choose another bus if they need to get anywhere between say Country Hills Boulevard and downtown. The express services aren't exactly full these days, from what I've been able to see anyways during the afternoon peak. I also realize these services have limited frequencies … but at least riders have an option if they can't wait for the next 301.

Centre Street from 78th Avenue Terminal to Harvest Oak Gate N.E. is served by two lines other than Route 301 at night. Anyone travelling in that portion of the corridor shouldn't have to wait more than 30 minutes for *any bus* — Routes 88 and 300 each have a headway of about 30 minutes in the evening. Only the stretch between Harvest Oak Gate N.E. and North Pointe Terminal, a length of about 1 km (maybe less?) served just by Route 301 with a couple of stops, will truly experience a 40-minute headway at night. (I do recognize anyone using Route 88 will have to transfer to another service at 78th Avenue … but at least the option exists.) South of 78th Avenue on Centre Street proper, options are Route 3 and 300 — and again each has a headway no worse than 30 minutes in the evening.

None of this is great … but at least the impact can be minimized.

I have no insider knowledge here but this is just me trying to suss out the method underlying the choices the transit schedulers have made. I think they've made the best of a terrible set of circumstances — and I say this despite the fact the bus I use most often (not on the Centre Street North corridor) will see its services reduced.

1 hour ago, R. Meu said:

[…] I’m surprised they reinstated that trip on the 109 given how few people take that route nowadays (and that goes with most of the expresses, in particular the 70 in terms of how poor the ridership is).

Me too. None of the expresses seem well-patronized. Again, this is just me looking at buses if I happen to be near one of those. I am open to the possibility the routes are well-used somewhere else down the line. Still, if it were up to me, I would have chosen to depend on feeder routes to provide coverage in deep suburbia and redeployed express services' hours to Route 301 or maybe somewhere else.

15 minutes ago, downbeat said:

Me too. None of the expresses seem well-patronized. Again, this is just me looking at buses if I happen to be near one of those. I am open to the possibility the routes are well-used somewhere else down the line. Still, if it were up to me, I would chosen to depended on feeder routes to provide coverage in deep suburbia and redeployed those express services hours to Route 301 or maybe somewhere else.

Personally I think the 70 (if the 408 gets revised), 109, Most trips on the 131, and the 142, and 305 should be completely eliminated to make room for those hours on the feeders or other similar routes and like the 88, 302, 114, 1, and 408 respectively. The idea of the expresses now ever since this pandemic began continues to be less important and irrelevant, but at the same time the balance between feeders and mainline runs continue to be skewed in some sort of way. We’re getting to a point where its downright embarrassing to have runs like this continue as such to lack patrons on board while the most populous routes in the system are suffering arbitrarily because of those selective decisions.

To be my own devil's advocate: although I understand the need to reduce service due to the current circumstances, I am hoping Transit is able to service Routes 1 and MAX Purple only with articulated buses during the day. When I see those buses go by with the current schedule, they are often very well used during the rush hours, with most or even all of the seats taken. Same thing for Route 302 — and this is even true in "reverse" rush hour direction (heading toward city centre) when I've seen it/taken a ride on several afternoons.

There is also a scheduling missed opportunity in the west with Routes 1 and 305 (peak only). Both will soon have 30-minute headways but the buses are not well-separated. They will be running with a few minutes of each other in both directions, during both peak periods.

Additionally, I wonder if there might eventually be crowding issues, what with the expected loosening of public health restrictions and the potential for a return to something more like normal life. Also, if the post-secondaries return to in-person learning, that could add yet another wrinkle to all of this.

12 hours ago, downbeat said:

As for Route 301, during the day, frequencies are comparable to weekend service. Assuming the line continues to be run with articulated buses Monday-Friday, then capacity will be higher than on the weekend.

One saving grace: People don't *have* to use Route 301 if they don't absolutely need to.

At rush hour, all the Centre Street expresses have been sharing stops with Route 301 for a little while now. This means riders can choose another bus if they need to get anywhere between say Country Hills Boulevard and downtown. The express services aren't exactly full these days, from what I've been able to see anyways during the afternoon peak. I also realize these services have limited frequencies … but at least riders have an option if they can't wait for the next 301.

Centre Street from 78th Avenue Terminal to Harvest Oak Gate N.E. is served by two lines other than Route 301 at night. Anyone travelling in that portion of the corridor shouldn't have to wait more than 30 minutes for *any bus* — Routes 88 and 300 each have a headway of about 30 minutes in the evening. Only the stretch between Harvest Oak Gate N.E. and North Pointe Terminal, a length of about 1 km (maybe less?) served just by Route 301 with a couple of stops, will truly experience a 40-minute headway at night.

The 301 will be using conventionals at night

The 301 is the only bus that goes from downtown to North Pointe save for the limited 142 trips. So if you're connecting to a feeder route at North Pointe you just got royally screwed. If all buses met the 301 at North Pointe every 40 minutes? Sucks but it's not so bad. How exactly is one supposed to conveniently connect to the 123 on a 36 minute frequency? The 8 on a 33 minute frequency? It's imposssible. You're asking for long waits and unhappy passengers. 

I refuse to believe this was the best course of action. There are plenty of other routes that could've had a frequency cut. The 20 comes to mind, ridership data doesn't support a 21 minute frequency on weekends. I mean, it doesn't even make sense that off peak the 14 will be running less frequently than all day on weekends. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Blake M said:

The 301 is the only bus that goes from downtown to North Pointe save for the limited 142 trips. So if you're connecting to a feeder route at North Pointe you just got royally screwed. If all buses met the 301 at North Pointe every 40 minutes? Sucks but it's not so bad. How exactly is one supposed to conveniently connect to the 123 on a 36 minute frequency? The 8 on a 33 minute frequency? It's imposssible. You're asking for long waits and unhappy passengers.  

When I wrote what I wrote about the 301 yesterday, I did so with the presumption that not every person on the bus will be riding to the end of the line. But if that is the destination for the majority of 301 riders, then the service reduction at night is more of a problem than I originally surmised.

You make an important point about frequencies. I've always been puzzled by the odd headways on so many routes, including mainline routes. It's terrible for connections, as you've just noted. Perhaps there is an aversion to having buses sitting at idle for too long at endpoints, as it might be seen as "unproductive".

Calgary Transit might believe it's operating a network with a backbone of frequent bus services — and as you say, if Calgary did in fact operate such a frequent-service backbone, then the odd headways on feeders isn't such a big deal. But to my mind, saying that we had real frequent service was a stretch at the best of times and it clearly no longer applies with pandemic service reductions. If we don't see a quick bounce-back of services once this current health crisis is over, I would hope there is a pivot to prioritizing connections over frequency. If people are already waiting 36 minutes for a feeder service, might as well bump up the headway to 40 minutes so they can make a more convenient connection to whatever the mainline service is.

Of course I would prefer if eventually we are able to return to a scenario where feeders don't run with frequencies longer than every 30 minutes and mainlines are closer to 15. ?

• Like 1

The official list of service changes is out from Calgary Transit. 

https://www.calgarytransit.com/content/transit/en/home/news/spring-service-changes--2022.html

There were a few errors in my observations, or perhaps I glimpsed some unfinished work. At any rate, I will be going back into my earlier post to correct some things. 

Here are some notable items not previously mentioned:

13: Routing has changed in Westhills and Glamorgan communities. ** it looks like the route is diverting to cover some senior's homes in Glamorgan, and extending a couple of blocks beyond the Westhills shopping mall to run on a short segment of Sienna Morena Blvd.

14: Westbound service has been adjusted to every 10 minutes all day. **the schedules show a 15 minute headway on the Bridlewood side of the route, with additional departures at peak times

38, 43 and 57: A new stop #3422, located on northbound 36 Street @ Whitehorn Drive N.E., has been added to improve bus connectivity to CTrain.

55: Weekday mid-day service has been adjusted to every 23 minutes, and schedules have been adjusted all day.

115: New stops added.

119: Weekday service has been added between 6 p.m. - 11 p.m. from Aero Drive to Saddletowne, every 50 minutes.

153: Weekday mid-day service has been revised to every 37 minutes.

And these descriptions are … a little off:

9: […] late evening service has been adjusted to every 40 minutes. ** late evening service is actually unchanged, at 30 minutes

71: Weekday mid-day and evening service has been adjusted to every 40 minutes. ** schedules show ~23/24 minutes all day

301: Weekday peak and mid-day service has been adjusted to every 18 minutes, and every 40 minutes on late evenings. ** 7 p.m. is hardly "late evening"

302: Weekday service has been adjusted to every 22 minutes all day. ** schedules show wildly fluctuating headways, ranging from 10 to 40 minutes

• Like 2

Potentially good news for transit ridership and revenues, with some of Alberta's public health restrictions ending right away/soon and the mandatory work from home order ending in a few weeks, according to what I've seen in the news. 

Although to be fair, I am aware of a few offices that have continued to work from the office through all of this …

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, downbeat said:

Potentially good news for transit ridership and revenues, with some of Alberta's public health restrictions ending right away/soon and the mandatory work from home order ending in a few weeks, according to what I've seen in the news. 

Although to be fair, I am aware of a few offices that have continued to work from the office through all of this …

I actually somewhat doubt it'll make much difference, given the atrocious level of service being provided right now and plus the fact that most people likely weren't even following the restrictions anyway at this point. The only thing I can really see coming back is organized gatherings and events (ex. Sports games) with maybe higher transit usage for that but not much else in terms of the big picture.

• Like 2

I guarantee you that downtown traffic will pick up when the WFH order is lifted. I work in downtown and I know many people and employers eagerly waiting for the order to be lifted. Fall 2020 and Fall 2021 (when times were pretty good COVID wise) saw a lot of traffic going into the core. 

• Like 1

On 2/7/2022 at 4:27 PM, Blake M said:

I was spending some time looking at Transit 55 … it is truly regrettable it wasn't possible to provide coverage for literally one piece of work (or extending another key) to provide a third bus at night for Route 301, which would have brought the frequency to ~30 minutes.

• Like 1

The new schedule for Route 14 has changed again on Transit's website. It's now showing 45-minute headways for the Bridlewood part of the line during midday and evenings. I swear it showed 15-minute headways yesterday … ? ?‍♂️

Anyway, if you live/work in that area, I wish you luck trying to figure out what your transit options will be starting next week! ?

I've been told that there is a chance of return to office in March for my company located downtown. We've been WFH since Mar 2020. We'll be transitioning to a hybrid model where people are welcome to come in or WFH. Most of my co-workers have hinted towards maybe coming in for 1-3 days a week.

Speaking personally, as someone who's primarily been a bus user, the reduced and odd numbered frequencies even during peak hours would be an absolute huge turn-off for me. Between longer wait times, potential for overcrowding, continuing to stay home or simply driving in are much more appealing options if the changes from this signup persist.

• Like 2

I'd expect the current service levels to persist into June, unless there's a significant turnaround in ridership.  But Calgary Transit just put out a posting today to hire 100 new Transit Operators (not Shuttle), so there is an expectation of increased service somewhere in the not-too-distant future.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Girardin71 said:

Does anybody know why Calgary Transit doesn't order their buses with nether the pull cord or a button between the windows for requesting a stop?  sitting in the back sucks when you have get up and walk just to hit the button in the aisle.   

Probably because of cost savings if you’re referring to the CNG novas.

53 minutes ago, downbeat said:

So … Monday's bus schedule changes are being described as "permanent" in this news article. Interestingly, the transit spokesperson also doesn't call these changes "reductions", either.

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/bus-route-changes-coming-into-effect-monday

Well, technically any new signup is a "permanent change" - until the next signup.  It's essentially formalizing the service reductions introduced in January, and writing them into the schedule.