Calgary Transit

kevlo86

1 hour ago, armorand said:

Agreed on lack of further SE service. Especially because if it actually terminated at South Health Campus as well  - or even at the Seton roundabout - there would be drastically higher ridership to/from the hospital, along with further incentive for people to take the 131/302 from there via Park & Ride. Or more feeders. Its not as if everyone who works there magically lives along 52nd St... let alone students, retail workers, minimal wage renters without a car, etc etc. Plus if extended to the Seton roundabout as well - puts off needing further CT expansion through that area for a couple years, if theres going to be 10-15 minute frequency rush hours as well. 

Would probably be negligible to be honest. Hospital is already served by the 14 and 406 from Cranston and Auburn Bay. Although I would have loved to see this route extended into South Cranston and/or Seton, but unfortunately that may never happen now given CT's seeming desire to eliminate downtown express service as has been suggested by their actions over the past 10 years.

1 hour ago, 1604 said:

Schedule information for the fall signup is now loaded into T55.

One improvement to note: MAX Orange now has 12-14 minute headways westbound during the middle of the morning peak (5 additional departures), and eastbound for the first half of the afternoon peak (4 additional departures). Going from memory, this appears to be similar or even slightly better service than before the pandemic.

Also, Bowness BRT Route 305 is back.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 1604 said:

Schedule information for the fall signup is now loaded into T55.

These schedules seem to really underestimate the likely rise in demand come September. With the majority of university students returning to in-person learning and more companies mandating their employees' return to the office, I do not see how these schedules will suffice. 

• Like 1

Express routes cancelled previously are back:

• 62 Hidden Valley: 3 inbound departures AM, 3 outbound departures PM, frequency ~20-30 minutes
  • 64 MacEwan: 5 inbound departures AM, 5 outbound departures PM, frequency ~20 minutes
  • 70 Valley Ridge: 2 inbound departures AM, 2 outbound departures PM
  • 109 Harvest Hills: 3 inbound departures AM, 2 outbound departures PM
  • 116 Coventry: 4 inbound departures AM, 4 outbound departures PM, frequency 20 minutes
  • 117 McKenzie Towne: 3 inbound departures AM, 3 outbound departures PM, frequency 25-30 minutes
  • 131 East Bow (new, replaces 102, 103, 110, 133) : 4 inbound departures AM, 4 outbound departures PM, frequency 20 minutes
  • 142 Panorama: 3 inbound departures AM, 3 outbound departures PM, frequency 25 minutes
  • 151 New Brighton: 2 inbound departures AM, 2 outbound departures PM
  • 305 Bowness BRT: 3 departures AM, 3 departures PM, bidirectional service, frequency 30 minutes

4 hours ago, Transit Fan said:

The two AM and PM Max Purple Chestermere trips are also beginning this signup!

• AM trips at first stop in Chestermere (not a time point) at ~5:42am and ~6:42am.
  • PM trips leave 1 St SW at 4:13pm and 5:13pm.

Both inbound and outbound trips will stop SB East Hills Sq SE.

Interesting that all departures are going in both directions, if I am reading the blocks correctly?

• Like 1

Interesting that all departures are going in both directions, if I am reading the blocks correctly?

Ah, that is indeed the case, I got too excited and fixated on the peak direction trips. If you include the other direction, AM to Chestermere would depart 1 St SW @ 5:01am and 6:01am. PM departures back into Calgary @ 4:56pm and 5:56pm.

I can't really imagine too many people who would be wanting to travel from Calgary to Chestermere at that hour in the morning.

• Like 2

… and the official list of fall services changes is up now as well.

https://www.calgarytransit.com/content/transit/en/home/news/fall-service-changes-2021.html

• Route 89 will have one AM trip and one PM trip extended into West Hillhurst to serve the school(s?) near Kensington Road x 21 St. N.W.
  • Route 14 has peak-hour improvements on the Bridlewood side that are not listed, with buses coming as often as every 4 minutes at times.
  • Route 145 peak-hour improvements are underplayed on the list. AM buses scheduled as often as every 7 minutes; PM service is as good as every 5 minutes at times.
  • Route 65 has gone back to its pre-pandemic service pattern — good news for peak riders and bad news for midday/evening riders.
  • A few feeder routes (82, 123, 124, 129 and 138, from what I can see) are listed as having service improved during peak hours to 15 minutes or better.
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, downbeat said:

https://www.calgarytransit.com/content/transit/en/home/news/fall-service-changes-2021.html

• Route 89 will have one AM trip and one PM trip extended into West Hillhurst to serve the school(s?) near Kensington Road x 21 St. N.W.

Yeah, the modified 89 is designed to serve Madeline D'Houet School.  With these changes, the 832 no longer serves Sandstone Terminal.  

6 hours ago, downbeat said:

• Route 14 has peak-hour improvements on the Bridlewood side that are not listed, with buses coming as often as every 4 minutes at times.
  • Route 145 peak-hour improvements are underplayed on the list. AM buses scheduled as often as every 7 minutes; PM service is as good as every 5 minutes at times.
  • Route 65 has gone back to its pre-pandemic service pattern — good news for peak riders and bad news for midday/evening riders.
  • A few feeder routes (82, 123, 124, 129 and 138, from what I can see) have had service improved during peak hours to 15 minutes or better.

The 82, 129, and 138 actually don't see any improvement except for a couple school extras

56 minutes ago, Blake M said:

The 82, 129, and 138 actually don't see any improvement except for a couple school extras

Ah, good spotting … so the summary on the Transit website is wrong, then. I've edited my wording above to reflect this.

21 hours ago, Blake M said:

Yeah and those school extras appear to mostly be one way trips, and imo thats not really much of an improvement, albeit a rather cheap approach to “improvements to service”.

16 hours ago, chills_on_the_train said:

As someone who gets crammed into the 138 with all the high- and middle-schoolers in the morning, but won't see any improvement in the evening, I am unimpressed.

Yes I too live in Citadel, no one in my house is very happy haha. The 76 and 299 receive no extra service either

On 8/17/2021 at 2:39 PM, Nick B said:

Would probably be negligible to be honest. Hospital is already served by the 14 and 406 from Cranston and Auburn Bay. Although I would have loved to see this route extended into South Cranston and/or Seton, but unfortunately that may never happen now given CT's seeming desire to eliminate downtown express service as has been suggested by their actions over the past 10 years.

I was thinking, considering route 468 already being turned into an elastic band... the express route being extended further south might also encourage more development & ridership in Seton before the LRT gets built out down there, by having some more options to leave the car behind. Even if its only rush hour with a couple trips a day, its still at least a limited form of service that will also be filled up by students as well between Cranston & Seton, right? If "deadheading" is an issue, just run the AM southbounds/PM northbounds every 40 minutes or something, or just run it in a Winnipeg short-turn format (Route 21 Portage Express or evening/weekend 24 Ness would be the best example of this) from 78 Avenue & south of that both ways, also utilizing the bus loop as well. That way, if people want a transfer, they can just hop on a 302, or any bus going to 52nd or Chinook/Anderson. I honestly think a 131 expansion would be good for the deep SE. Even if only 4-5 trips a day, it would shave off alot of time for riders, postpone CT service coverage issues (Seton & Hospital) for a few more years until Green Line at Shepard/until CT has more money to expand coverage, with 131 also being used by students and others as well (thousands IIRC between Glenmore & Seton)... I really think that 131 could generate significantly higher ridership if it were be to be considered by CT. Its worth looking into. 

• Like 1

On 8/21/2021 at 11:00 AM, armorand said:

I was thinking, considering route 468 already being turned into an elastic band... the express route being extended further south might also encourage more development & ridership in Seton before the LRT gets built out down there, by having some more options to leave the car behind. Even if its only rush hour with a couple trips a day, its still at least a limited form of service that will also be filled up by students as well between Cranston & Seton, right? If "deadheading" is an issue, just run the AM southbounds/PM northbounds every 40 minutes or something, or just run it in a Winnipeg short-turn format (Route 21 Portage Express or evening/weekend 24 Ness would be the best example of this) from 78 Avenue & south of that both ways, also utilizing the bus loop as well. That way, if people want a transfer, they can just hop on a 302, or any bus going to 52nd or Chinook/Anderson. I honestly think a 131 expansion would be good for the deep SE. Even if only 4-5 trips a day, it would shave off alot of time for riders, postpone CT service coverage issues (Seton & Hospital) for a few more years until Green Line at Shepard/until CT has more money to expand coverage, with 131 also being used by students and others as well (thousands IIRC between Glenmore & Seton)... I really think that 131 could generate significantly higher ridership if it were be to be considered by CT. Its worth looking into. 

Not to worry! The blocks for the PM 131 say "Auburn Bay Express" ?

Screenshot_20210823-204647_Chrome.jpg

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here's an interesting one: at the Max Orange stop at Centre St. westbound, a regular bus shelter has been installed. This stop was not built with the "Max style" shelter, just an overhang, so I guess enough people complained they installed a regular bus shelter?

• Like 4

On 9/5/2021 at 7:37 AM, Blake M said:

Here's an interesting one: at the Max Orange stop at Centre St. westbound, a regular bus shelter has been installed. This stop was not built with the "Max style" shelter, just an overhang, so I guess enough people complained they installed a regular bus shelter?

Yeah, I didn't get that before either - kind of hard to lure people into BRT if they're getting soaked in the rain or out freezing in -30 without a heated bus shelter. Or in that particular case (as I've personally had to put up with) - standing outside getting harassed waiting for MO/19 to arrive every 20-30 mins if lucky, no help button, no CCTV & (minus broad daylight) no local businesses around that are open late/early enough either... it doesn't just need a shelter. It needs the whole MAX kit, the Help stand & some bright lighting.

Bonus too: improving the stop now & it'll at least be prepared and engrained in everyones minds well enough, for when the Green Line arrives. Gotta build up ridership somewhere...

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...