Calgary Transit

kevlo86

8 hours ago, yvarushin said:

https://www.calgarytransit.com/content/transit/en/home/news/Summer-Changes-2021.html

here are the changes this summer.

lots of interesting new route changes!!

It would be nice if they would actually post the .PDF route maps, showing these new changes for the routes. Specifically Trinity & Route 89. Easier for people to look up, when checking CT updates.

1 hour ago, Blake M said:

The Edmonton Trail/North Haven portions of the route 4/5 should be split up. Edmonton Trail sees more ridership than North Haven.

Can personally vouch for this, when I lived in Bridgeland & when I worked a temp job on the other side of the 4/5 in North Haven. Honestly, it would be alot more helpful if there was a feeder for Edmonton Trail that tied in directly to a) Bridgeland station, b) Route 90 transfer to Downtown and c) MAX Orange. 

- connects LRT to MO within ~10 minutes either way

- route 90 can handle transfers to Downtown from Bridgeland, if they need access to Superstore or anything

- handles local neighborhood needs

- frees up Routes 4 & 5 from "lower" Edmonton Trail, between Downtown & 16th. Terminate 4/5 at Sunnyside Station (transfers) while retaining rest of route on its Western side. But instead of Downtown/Edmonton Trail south of 16th, CT loops it back up thru SAIT & across 16th. By doing it this way, service to SAIT increases considerably (useful for crush loads on train between Sunnyside & SAIT) and it practically doubles existing bus service on 16th too, between SAIT & Edmonton Trail. Therefore, no more crushloads. 

Thoughts?

• Like 2

As part of the summer service changes, the new NW communities of Carrington and Livingston are getting some service with the 124 making more stops. Twining of 144th Avenue NW is currently in progress from 1st Street NE to about half a km short of 14th Street NW.

From CT's Website-

Route 124 – Evanston     

Addition of stops along 1 Street N.E., 144 Avenue N.W., Carrington Blvd. N.W., and 140 Avenue N.W. Removal of one stop at Symons Valley Parkway and 14 St NW.

Attached is an email I got, interestingly it sounds like OnDemand Transit for Carrington and Livingston as the 124 isin't really entering either community as seen int he map attached.

Clipboard01.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just noticed an addition at the bottom of the Calgary Transit webpage for Canada Day service.

https://www.calgarytransit.com/content/transit/en/home/news/canada-day-service.html

There is extended service on Route 90. From what I can tell, this information is not visible anywhere else — that is to say it's not in the app and not in the usual place where schedules are found on Transit's website.

• Four additional eastbound departures from University of Calgary at 8:45, 9:15, 9:45 and 10:15 p.m.
  • Three additional westbound departures from Bridgeland approximately 11:20, 11:30 and 11:40 p.m. 

Given the departure times, I assume these trips are to help people get to/leave the fireworks site at Tom Campbell's Hill.

(I wonder if these will be big buses rather than community shuttles.)

Screen Shot 2021-07-01 at 2.03.13 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-07-01 at 2.03.17 AM.png

• Like 1

I was able to observe all three westbound Route 90 extras going through downtown not that long after midnight. 8057 and 8041 arrived first, back to back. 8079 followed a few minutes later.

Interestingly, the 11:45 p.m. timed bus departures all left shortly before midnight, so no opportunity for connections. On the other hand, the Route 90s were all empty at that point, from what I could see, so nothing lost in actual fact. ?

Also noticed a little glitch in the Transit app: Even though the added departures were technically visible, the route was listed as "Inactive". You had to know the extras were running to look up the schedule. That can't have helped.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Transit Fan said:

Lots of flash flooding on 36th and 52nd St as a result of this evening's storm. Couldn't help but notice this scene of #6080 on Max Orange (thanks to transit55) on one of city traffic cams. Not the most effective of detours. ?

The best part is that T55 shows 6080 went about its business after the flooding ended, like nothing happened!

On 7/2/2021 at 10:08 PM, Transit Fan said:

Lots of flash flooding on 36th and 52nd St as a result of this evening's storm. Couldn't help but notice this scene of #6080 on Max Orange (thanks to transit55) on one of city traffic cams. Not the most effective of detours. ?

loc45.jpeg

The flooding was actually at 32 Avenue and 52 Streets NE: 

• 2 weeks later...

I don’t think I’ve experienced this before … but while on the bus today, an automated recording on the PA system unexpectedly announced “STOP REQUESTED” after I hit the stop request button. I don’t remember hearing an electronic bell. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, downbeat said:

I don’t think I’ve experienced this before … but while on the bus today, an automated recording on the PA system unexpectedly announced “STOP REQUESTED” after I hit the stop request button. I don’t remember hearing an electronic bell. 

Do you remember which unit

• 3 weeks later...

An unlisted (not that I can remember anyway) bus stop closure and detour downtown. EB 5 Ave x 2 St SW farside and 5 Ave x 1 St SW nearside are closed due to construction. All buses are stopping at 5 Ave x 2 Ave nearside. Also, buses can’t make the right turn onto SB 1 St SW due to the construction hoarding there, so vehicles are going around the Suncor Energy Centre (EB 5 Ave, SB Centre St, WB 6 Ave to SB 1 St). Not sure if it’s all buses that can’t negotiate the corner, but the articulated Route 1s are definitely doing this detour.

P.S. Since I originally posted this, I’ve seen conventional buses using the detour as well. 

Fall services changes should be coming out soon … there was an announcement on Twitter this morning but they have not actually been posted to Transit's website yet. (There are still no schedules on the website beyond Aug. 29, and block information on Transit55 hasn't been updated yet, either.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Transit Fan said:

Honestly - this kind of makes sense. But I wonder what ridership will look like going forward.

However, it's unfortunate to see communities such as Mahogany, Auburn Bay and Cranston Riverstone not being considered.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, yvarushin said:

Honestly - this kind of makes sense. But I wonder what ridership will look like going forward.

However, it's unfortunate to see communities such as Mahogany, Auburn Bay and Cranston Riverstone not being considered.

Wouldn't Mahogany and Auburn Bay be served in some way by Route 302? I know the route doesn't go into those neighbourhoods but good chunks of those areas are within 800 metres of the BRT stops.

All three of those neighbourhoods have the 406 or the 468, which connect with Route 302. I know transfers aren't ideal but at least a trip downtown without going to the Red Line is theoretically possible …

22 hours ago, yvarushin said:

Agreed on lack of further SE service. Especially because if it actually terminated at South Health Campus as well  - or even at the Seton roundabout - there would be drastically higher ridership to/from the hospital, along with further incentive for people to take the 131/302 from there via Park & Ride. Or more feeders. Its not as if everyone who works there magically lives along 52nd St... let alone students, retail workers, minimal wage renters without a car, etc etc. Plus if extended to the Seton roundabout as well - puts off needing further CT expansion through that area for a couple years, if theres going to be 10-15 minute frequency rush hours as well. 

Also: why so much 302 route duplication? Would it not be better to use Deerfoot after Ogden? Unless the extra frequency & relief of the infamous rush hour 302 sardine-can loads is the entire point of the new 131?