Calgary Transit

kevlo86

10 hours ago, downbeat said:

Very cool! Thanks for this! ?

Is this the same info that allows for the "added departure" function in the Transit/CT app?

After a quick glance at select routes, I have also noticed weekday peak enhancements on Routes 14, 301, 302 and MAX Orange.

Route 12 too

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
13 hours ago, nsCEO said:

I notice the supervisor vehicles have a lightbar. What is this used for? Pulling over buses? Or to warn drivers of a transit related emergency? Or? 

Unless they're about to be comandeered by transit peace officers... only other uses I can think of are security-related. 

13 hours ago, nsCEO said:

I notice the supervisor vehicles have a lightbar. What is this used for? Pulling over buses? Or to warn drivers of a transit related emergency? Or? 

What colour(s)? Presumably amber?

Edmonton inspectors have always had amber lightbars for visibility, protecting, signaling etc. 

13 hours ago, SidneyTransitfan said:

According to the transit55 site, 7636 came out a few times in April and May (last entry was May 4th).

12 hours ago, SidneyTransitfan said:

Perhaps it's just a fluke... I dunno. Thought I'd mention it as nobody else appeared to.

I have confirmed that the dates listed were 2020. I have confirmed that the CAD system of bus 7636 was powered up May 4, 2021, but the bus has not been in service since April 3, 2020.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, green_line_26 said:

This morning the bus I was on made an announcement about masking over the automated stop announcement system, and the message played over the ticker as well. Is this new or have I just never noticed?

Its been around since the whole face covering required PR code was around but those automated PR announcements on the buses arent often used by operators.

• Thanks 3

14 minutes ago, yvarushin said:

https://www.calgarytransit.com/content/transit/en/home/news/Summer-Changes-2021.html

here are the changes this summer.

lots of interesting new route changes!!

Yeah the 146 and the 430 being cancelled isnt too surprising, and finally they made the 89 go both ways in the morning and afternoon which is nice. I checked on block explorer and it appears that the 15, 52, 74, 88, 104, and 174 will be turned to all day shuttle for the summer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yvarushin said:

https://www.calgarytransit.com/content/transit/en/home/news/Summer-Changes-2021.html

here are the changes this summer.

lots of interesting new route changes!!

Regarding this one:

Route 104 - Sunnyside - University of Calgary
The detour routing has been made permanent (via Parkdale Blvd.). Frequency changed from every 30 mins to every 32 mins.

If so, perhaps Transit would consider adding at least one stop each way along Parkdale Blvd. or Kensington Rd. to provide additional transfer opportunities? Currently the bus operates non-stop over the detour portion of its route.

Never mind about that … I just checked Transit 55 and they have done just that.

The frequency change is interesting — and I wonder if it's really necessary. Those layovers at U of C/Craigie Hall are quite long already in practice. (The buses arrive early, from what I have experienced.)

Route 305 -  BRT Bowness/ City Centre
School trips are cancelled for the summer.

This description doesn't make sense. I assume this means there is still no service on Route 305 this summer, in line with the continued suspension of express buses.

• Like 1

To be honest, I'm disappointed with the lack of service increase. By July 1st, we have the potential of having zero restrictions and people are going to be out and about (going to malls, movie theatres, work, hanging out with friends, etc).

Appreciating that operating costs are a problem and there's a lot of money to be recovered from the last 15 months... I am still disappointed with virtually no increase in service across the city (especially the expresses).

43 minutes ago, yvarushin said:

To be honest, I'm disappointed with the lack of service increase. By July 1st, we have the potential of having zero restrictions and people are going to be out and about (going to malls, movie theatres, work, hanging out with friends, etc).

I suspect there was a trade-off calculated here: the increased number of people returning to work at their offices this summer will likely be offset by the absence of students. For example, on a few of the busiest p.m. trips on the Red Line that I've used between Christmas and now, they all seemed to be filled with high school students returning home. If those kids are absent but train frequencies remain unchanged, that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Transit55 shows peak-hour reductions on Route 3 and 301, for example, so that kind of tells you where planners think the ridership will (or will not) be. I can't imagine the north Calgary expresses being revived if they don't think there will be enough people riding still-frequent non-express Centre Street North services.

Also, I'm also guessing the increased number of people out and about for social interactions will not necessarily be travelling during traditional peak hours.

2 hours ago, yvarushin said:

Appreciating that operating costs are a problem and there's a lot of money to be recovered from the last 15 months... I am still disappointed with virtually no increase in service across the city (especially the expresses).

It really doesn’t help either with weekend service being atrocious (and will continue to be)….. an example is the 3, still at 20 minute frequency both Saturdays and Sundays all day along with infrequent train service on both the blue and red line throughout the day has really frustrated quite a number of people I’m sure, and it just doesn’t cut it anymore now that some of the ridership has come back during off peak.

• Like 3

More goodies found on Transit55 …

• Route 504 (Stampede Express North) returns starting July 9 for the duration of Stampede.

• Extended service on some bus routes serving the city centre, last departure at ~01:20 (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 301, 302, 304 and 504 are the routes I see so far).

1 hour ago, R. Meu said:

It really doesn’t help either with weekend service being atrocious (and will continue to be)….. an example is the 3, still at 20 minute frequency both Saturdays and Sundays all day along with infrequent train service on both the blue and red line throughout the day has really frustrated quite a number of people I’m sure, and it just doesn’t cut it anymore now that some of the ridership has come back during off peak.

You are right about weekends. I've seen some very full-looking Route 4's all through the spring entering downtown in the afternoons … and those only come only 37 minutes or so.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, downbeat said:

More goodies found on Transit55 …

• Route 504 (Stampede Express North) returns starting July 9 for the duration of Stampede.

• Extended service on some bus routes serving the city centre, last departure at ~01:20 (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 301, 302, 304 and 504 are the routes I see so far).

You are right about weekends. I've seen some very full-looking Route 4's all through the spring entering downtown in the afternoons … and those only come only 37 minutes or so.

The Edmonton Trail/North Haven portions of the route 4/5 should be split up. Edmonton Trail sees more ridership than North Haven.

• Like 1