Calgary Transit

kevlo86

On 12/18/2020 at 11:52 AM, armorand said:

Unless the 23 is extended further north/south, or if Elon Musk decides to drop a gigafactory in Seton or something, theres not really much reason to keep 60 footers on these routes, is there?

The industrial parks are a 24/7 operation that usually run multiple set shifts. When i was signed on a 73 back in the day, my 23:00 trip would often be standing room to Whitehorn. The recent increases to service on the 23 and 43 are much to do with the ridership in the industrial parks. Very few people ride the 23 from end to end.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, LRT said:

Gee thanks! ?

Never mind working in this weather getting out of my stall was a challenge. 

Currently there is a 60 km/h Ctrain slow order in effect. 

Haha. 

Yeah my neighborhood route, 138, which was supposed to start service nearly two hours ago has yet to see service.

If anyone needs to use transit today despite the weather, the cancellations page at Transit55 is worth consulting.

https://transit55.ca/calgary/cancelledtrips

Do take the disclaimer in mind: Route 414 is still marked as cancelled until mid afternoon, for example, but T55 also shows a new bus showing up to run the route as of a few minutes ago.

Also: I think the Calgary Transit/Transit apps take these cancellations into account when showing departures.

• Like 1

8020 and 8233 have been stuck on Applewood Dr within a couple of meters of each other since this morning. Both have wound up perpendicular to the roadway in their attempts to break free. Unless there's been other buses brought in doing short turns bypassing Applewood, haven't seen any 87 (or 67) service on T55 all day.

Edit: Managed to snag a few pics, excuse the quality, i'm no photographer hah. Operators are both gone and both just sitting abadoned now. Poor dude was at the nearby stop hoping a bus would miraculously appear. ?

20201222_155650.jpg

20201222_155847.jpg

20201222_155900.jpg

20201222_155823.jpg

• Like 4

On 12/22/2020 at 6:19 AM, LRT said:

Gee thanks! ?

Never mind working in this weather getting out of my stall was a challenge. 

Currently there is a 60 km/h Ctrain slow order in effect. 

That explains why my first trips back on transit were a little slower than usual.  I've been driving to and from work since April, and because of my back alley was impassable due to snow, I decided to take transit to work downtown...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, downbeat said:

Here’s another new Transit information board at a major bus stop — this is the NE corner of 1 St. SW and Stephen Avenue, by Good Life Fitness. 

E9099809-DA3F-4395-AF7E-512198B77BDD.jpeg

My only issue with these is that they're placed in the downtown core...the only place on those maps where there's no specific station locations or even labeled stations. No inset map or anything. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

If anyone ever tells you no one's using transit right now, please show them this:

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/teachers-transit-drivers-among-those-upset-at-exclusion-from-vaccine-list

“We have 80, 90 and sometimes over 100 reported overloaded buses every day during a week, and even some on the weekend. So that’s 60, 70 people standing on the bus at one time with either no air circulation or negative air circulation into the driver’s station."

It really sucks that people who need transit most are getting the short end of the stick due to ridership changes, the resulting loss of revenue and the necessity for transit to save money.

I know funds are tight at transit (and everywhere else) but I do hope some way is found to alleviate these overloads.

• Like 2

Update: New maps have been posted in the information boards outside Suncor Energy and GoodLife Fitness. They contain excellent information for bus transfers … and the whole area officially has a name: it's the 1 St SW Transit Hub! I wonder if a few more maps could be put up at other major time points within this transfer hub, namely 5 Ave. EB at Bow Valley Square, 6 Ave. WB across from Intact Place and SB 1 St. at Brookfield Place.

(Interestingly, there are no express routes on the maps … but the Bowness BRT is still shown.)

IMG_0329.jpeg

• Like 4

Noticed a couple of items in the news this morning. 

Here’s one about overloaded buses, staffing shortages and the overuse use of overtime:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/transit-union-buses-recall-drivers-1.5929515

And here’s another about how COVID-19 is directly affecting drivers:

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/covid-anxiety-a-constant-for-frontline-calgary-transit-workers

• Like 1