Calgary Transit

kevlo86

7 hours ago, 1604 said:

I whipped up a page on Transit55 which lists trips marked as cancelled by CT: https://transit55.ca/calgary/cancelledtrips

Any cancelled trips shown on the page should also be reflected in CT's app and trip planner/next bus tools, which they are directing customers to use for up to date information, so my hope is it's an accurate reflection of service being provided on a day-to-day basis - but I can't guarantee anything.

Hope everyone is staying safe and healthy during these unusual times.

Would like to take the time to thank 1604 for all his efforts through out the years. He has been an asset as a fan, on this board, and to the regular transit riders in multiple  agency's.  Thank you for your hard work it is truly valued !

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, vicinity said:

Would like to take the time to thank 1604 for all his efforts through out the years. He has been an asset as a fan, on this board, and to the regular transit riders in multiple  agency's.  Thank you for your hard work it is truly valued !

Agreed. I can't even count the number of times I've been saved from waiting for a delayed bus, or by finding buses to take when I have my bike with me. I couldn't live without Transit55!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Another message of thanks from my cousin: 

"Transit55 has made fanning so much more rewarding. For example, when I went to Edmonton last summer, I was able to find all sorts of old gems to ride that I wouldn't have been able to otherwise. In Calgary, I would've never rode a 1995 D40LF without the help of T55. It's also so exciting when something old tracks for the first time in months, and when something new pops up for the first time. It's also very helpful in finding first and last day of service dates, as well as fighting boredom by being able to watch the buses drive around during this time of quarantine. Also the tons and tons of raw (and neatly processed) data!"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

From the City of Calgary's COVID-19 briefing not too long ago: There is no plan to extend regular March passes to be valid in April. Apparently, Transit is losing $6-$8 million a month in fares because of COVID-19. Could be as high as $10 million. The Mayor is asking people who can afford to pay their fares to keep paying them.

23 hours ago, Gsgeek540 said:

That is about the time the last route 23 goes out of service at McKenzie towne terminal

I know haha, just couldn't resist pointing it out.

Can I PM you about the other post you made, regarding potential employment? 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, armorand said:

You realize that during this pandemic that the City of Calgary isn't likely going to be hiring anybody, esspecially since they're actually laying off employees?  

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, armorand said:

I know haha, just couldn't resist pointing it out.

Now probably isn’t really the time for that..... the current economic climate and the pandemic has affected employment opportunities for those who might have less work and those who are completely out of work (this includes those in transit, just look at the future reductions in service coming soon meaning less work for drivers). Not only that, but the City of Calgary recently announced layoffs stated in this article: https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/mobile/city-of-calgary-to-lay-off-hundreds-of-part-time-and-casual-workers-1.4874474

As much as you would like to try to find any employment currently, all I can say is good luck to your future endeavors and I hope things might work out for you.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, R. Meu said:

Now probably isn’t really the time for that..... the current economic climate and the pandemic has affected employment opportunities for those who might have less work and those who are completely out of work (this includes those in transit, just look at the future reductions in service coming soon meaning less work for drivers). Not only that, but the City of Calgary recently announced layoffs stated in this article: https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/mobile/city-of-calgary-to-lay-off-hundreds-of-part-time-and-casual-workers-1.4874474

As much as you would like to try to find any employment currently, all I can say is good luck to your future endeavors and I hope things might work out for you.

What I meant was... that when this is all blown over, honestly I could use a new job. So it doesn't hurt to ask about it. 

7 hours ago, armorand said:

What I meant was... that when this is all blown over, honestly I could use a new job. So it doesn't hurt to ask about it. 

So apply to be a bus operator when the time comes.

Simple!

And if starting with CT seems a huge step, take the route a lot have and start with driving school bus.

Let's not gloss over an important point of the post too: some board members perhaps need to piss and moan less over something that they don't understand the in workings of. Or, at least that's my recollection from a few days ago. 

@armorand Believe it or not, there’s shuttle bus classes going on, 

Definitely keep your eye out for postings, if posting becomes available apply ASAP and if you don’t get a call wait for a new “competition number” and keep trying. 

It will all work out and good luck! 

• Like 1

Just a heads up, assuming the information is accurate of course: At least twice today, the Calgary Transit social media team replied to questions by saying there would be a schedule adjustment for buses beginning April 6 — much sooner than the April 20 signup someone here mentioned not too long ago. 

Here’s one of the tweets (although calling the changes “improvements” is a little weird)

EDIT: The new schedule is now visible on calgarytransit.com.

It is also visible in the Transit app. Go to your favourite route and scroll into next week to see the changes. 

Looks like express buses (albeit fewer trips) and weekday only routes are still in service to get people to work.

Most other routes look like they roughly have a regular midday level of service during peak hours. (e.g. 15 -> 30 minutes for feeders, 4-12 -> 15-20 minutes for busier mainline/crosstown routes)

Along with the schedule changes, there’s also an announcement today with regard to seating.

http://www.calgarytransit.com/news/staying-safe-during-covid-19-outbreak

About half of our seats on our buses will be blocked off with signage to promote physical distancing. […]

We’ve also closed off the front seats of shuttle buses and the jump seats directly behind the operator on NOVA buses, to further keep physical distance between operators and customers.

Two interesting things in the list of service changes.

Route 65: Weekday service runs every 28 minutes all day.

For midday and evening periods, this is a significant improvement over the current 40 minute headway.

Route 104: Service will be provided by regular buses to promote social distancing.  Buses are required to detour as the vehicles are unable to travel on 27 Street and 6 Avenue N.W.

Coupled with the decision to limit seating on buses, this makes sense to maintain capacity on this hospital route. 

• Like 2