Calgary Transit

kevlo86

23 hours ago, vicinity said:

7963-7980 have been parked until further notice

Reminds me too, I've never seen a Winnipeg Transit bus ever have the front doors locked out & operating by rear door only, when I was in Winnipeg for 24 years of my life. Probably because of the incident with the McKay gate malfunctioning & that poor old lady getting caught in the door, while the bus took off... but then again, no one back home was ever expecting a pandemic (or a full implementation of Glen Murrays BRT system with rear-door boardings), so not surprised. 

18 hours ago, downbeat said:

CTrain frequency reductions for weekday peak and midday off-peak  from March 30 due to reduced ridership as a result of COVID-19.

http://www.calgarytransit.com/news/effective-monday-march-30-ctrain-service-will-be-reduced

Reductions in other services being considered in future weeks.

15 mid-day, along with untimely transfers from early 406s, late 302s and shuffled bus services as of a week from now... getting to work is going to get even more interesting. ?

(unsure if eligible for EI, or Trudeaus emergency funding/helicopter $$$, so forced to be at work until I can claim one or another from the federal govt...)

In case anyone believed social distancing measures would be rescinded in the short term … spotted these earlier this afternoon, on multiple conventional buses — but not all of them.

I don’t think Transit would bother with this kind of signage if they didn’t believe this would go on for a long while. 

There are also printed cardboard and paper signs inside the bus, reminding riders to stay away from operators. 

B90F8445-6904-4DE3-8577-D49776A99EE7.jpeg

C3AD0330-C913-4592-B6C7-C37038C0E5E9.jpeg

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, 1046bluebus said:

Looks like Calgary Transit will be reducing service... Brothers and Sisters, As we know in this emergency situation, ridership is going down, so transit is reducing service on LRT and Bus. There will be a new sign up with adjusted service.

This is, sadly, a prudent step. 

I imagine Transit has to strike the right balance between offering basic service while making sure there are enough healthy drivers and behind the scenes staff to make everything work.

I also hope the 50% farebox recovery mandate is temporarily waived. Even with minimal service, there’s no way they’ll make the required money back under present circumstances. 

Bus service changes beginning Monday, March 23

Beginning Monday, March 23, many of our routes will have fewer trips throughout the day. Those routes will still be available, but you may experience longer wait times because a trip has been removed.

We're doing our best to minimize the impacts these reductions will have, and to make sure you’re still able to use transit to get where you need to go.

Please use the Plan a Trip or Next Ride features on calgarytransit.com for the most accurate schedules.

http://www.calgarytransit.com/news/reductions-transit-service

Looks like certain trips will be removed starting tomorrow.

No revised schedules on short notice but if I had to guess, the routes with <= 10 minute frequencies during peak are definitely gonna be cut. Certain express trips may see cuts as well.

I get removing a key here and there through the day to deal with the current situation re: COVID-19. But if a route has had its service span shortened, I think we should be told explicitly, rather than finding out while waiting for a bus that will never arrive … 

Seriously, a list of changes will do (at a bare minimum) if it’s not possible to change the website and app data straight away. 

• Like 1

I find it interesting that Edmonton has made transit free-of-charge indefinitely which considering the reduced ridership and the inevitable revenue loss. Seems like a nice hassle-free approach. I don't know why Calgary hasn't made this approach. 

I also applaud Edmonton Transit's rapid response to this crisis. The only thing I would have done differently was maybe waited until the week after they announced service reduction to Saturday service but at this point it's working well and they are easily covering work and saving a considerable amount of money on overtime cost. April 20 is when the reduced signup will start for Calgary Transit. That almost seems too far away and will create uncertainty for riders if the lack of Operators continues before then. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, nsCEO said:

I find it interesting that Edmonton has made transit free-of-charge indefinitely which considering the reduced ridership and the inevitable revenue loss. Seems like a nice hassle-free approach. I don't know why Calgary hasn't made this approach. 

The past few days on the buses, with the driver on the 302 telling me to avoid the back of the bus, or the 43 with used clothes, bio-hazardous waste (needles) and garbage left on the backseats... trust me, they've completely stopped checking for fare payments, and I've yet to see ANY ripped tickets or transfers on the floors lol

10 hours ago, downbeat said:

I get removing a key here and there through the day to deal with the current situation re: COVID-19. But if a route has had its service span shortened, I think we should be told explicitly, rather than finding out while waiting for a bus that will never arrive … 

Seriously, a list of changes will do (at a bare minimum) if it’s not possible to change the website and app data straight away. 

Totally agreed. I didn't know it was so hard to go into XHTML and copy-paste a list... ?

43 minutes ago, armorand said:

The past few days on the buses, with the driver on the 302 telling me to avoid the back of the bus, or the 43 with used clothes, bio-hazardous waste (needles) and garbage left on the backseats...

That’s awful, on so many levels — public health right at the front of the list. Why would a bus in such conditions even be allowed out on the road? 

1 hour ago, armorand said:

The past few days on the buses, with the driver on the 302 telling me to avoid the back of the bus, or the 43 with used clothes, bio-hazardous waste (needles) and garbage left on the backseats... trust me, they've completely stopped checking for fare payments, and I've yet to see ANY ripped tickets or transfers on the floors lol

Totally agreed. I didn't know it was so hard to go into XHTML and copy-paste a list... ?

Did you report it?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, armorand said:

Many of these run cuts are happening last minute based on manpower. What could be scheduled to run at 17:30 the night before when the run is cut could be cut by the next morning because that operator went sick...sometimes within minutes of the scheduled report time...sometimes pulled off the road because an operator is deemed unfit for duty...trying to keep everyone safe and healthy...

This, like a number of points that you bring up, are not as simple as you think it is...

As many members can attest to, I have challenged several people on this board that calls out what i believe are fairy tale/dream world incompetencies and challenge them to apply and see what is gone on first hand, on the front lines. Multiple members that i have challenged on this board are now some of the City of Calgary’s finest staff and have a full understanding of what is going on. Care to join that list?

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Gsgeek540 said:

Many of these run cuts are happening last minute based on manpower. What could be scheduled to run at 17:30 the night before when the run is cut could be cut by the next morning because that operator went sick...sometimes within minutes of the scheduled report time...sometimes pulled off the road because an operator is deemed unfit for duty...trying to keep everyone safe and healthy...

This, like a number of points that you bring up, are not as simple as you think it is...

As many members can attest to, I have challenged several people on this board that calls out what i believe are fairy tale/dream world incompetencies and challenge them to apply and see what is gone on first hand, on the front lines. Multiple members that i have challenged on this board are now some of the City of Calgary’s finest staff and have a full understanding of what is going on. Care to join that list?

For the record I would like to work for the city ?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Gsgeek540 said:

Whoa wait a second - are you offering me employment? Just making sure I understood this correctly, before I respond. 

20 hours ago, Blake M said:

For the record I would like to work for the city ?

Beats working fast food, 100%. Been forced to work fast food, since I graduated SAIT... minus the 50% discounts, it's miserable. Lol

22 hours ago, yvarushin said:

Did you report it?

I was under the assumption that the peace officers at Chinook that night, would have taken a look at that. Noticed that theres now always either them, or the cops themselves, always there the past few weeks. Which is definitely a good sign. But seeing all of that on the 43, in a pandemic situation no less... I would've gotten pictures, but the guy behind me wasn't exactly the Mr. Rogers type, so decided to play it safe & avoid confrontation. 

23 hours ago, downbeat said:

That’s awful, on so many levels — public health right at the front of the list. Why would a bus in such conditions even be allowed out on the road? 

The 302 appeared to have cigarette butts at the back, along with what looked like some sort of fluid... it wasn't vomit or blood, but whatever it was, the driver went out of his way to tell me NOT to sit back there. 

43 had the used clothing, biohazards, garbage and stuff. 

I doubt it was let like that from the garages lol, but the backdoor boarding lately along with non-enforcement of payment, have definitely made it easier for certain peoples to vehemently abuse public transit. Honestly too, I've yet to see any fare enforcement lately either. No checks for fare on the buses, no ripped tickets or transfers, I haven't even seen a fare check on the trains in months... let alone the past couple weeks. No one's been checking, from what I've seen, since this all started. There's peace officers at the stations, especially Somerset to make sure no ones passed out on the trains before they go back to garage NIS, but I just haven't seen any fare enforcement at all - no ripped tickets, no one even stamping tickets or showing their passes anymore either. It's just been widely interpreted by most of us riders, that Calgary Transit has now gone free during the virus, with no worries about non-payment of fares, or even fines, for trashing the back of a bus like that. Its wild. 

I don't expect fare inspection on buses at this time — and frankly I would find this not to be the best use of resources.

Calgary Transit has essentially taken on a "shareware" pay model for transit. I'm quite okay with that. Free, but not free.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, downbeat said:

I don't expect fare inspection on buses at this time — and frankly I would find this not to be the best use of resources.

Calgary Transit has essentially taken on a "shareware" pay model for transit. I'm quite okay with that. Free, but not free.

I know, but maybe for appearances sake, a walkthrough occasionally would feel better for some of the riders? 

I'm okay with it too, even though I have a pass for March, I can't afford one for April... so if this stays quasi-free until April 30th, as long as I didn't see what I saw on the 43 the other day... I could probably live with it.

I whipped up a page on Transit55 which lists trips marked as cancelled by CT: https://transit55.ca/calgary/cancelledtrips

Any cancelled trips shown on the page should also be reflected in CT's app and trip planner/next bus tools, which they are directing customers to use for up to date information, so my hope is it's an accurate reflection of service being provided on a day-to-day basis - but I can't guarantee anything.

Hope everyone is staying safe and healthy during these unusual times.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

8 minutes ago, 1604 said:

I whipped up a page on Transit55 which lists trips marked as cancelled by CT: https://transit55.ca/calgary/cancelledtrips

Any cancelled trips shown on the page should also be reflected in CT's app and trip planner/next bus tools, which they are directing customers to use for up to date information, so my hope is it's an accurate reflection of service being provided on a day-to-day basis - but I can't guarantee anything.

Hope everyone is staying safe and healthy during these unusual times.

Amazing. What a great tool you’re providing. I know Transit doesn’t officially sanction third-party interfaces for their GTFS feed but they really should thank you for the stuff you do. ? It’s a fantastic supplement to the array of ways to access transit data.

Same wishes to you with regard to the current state of things.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1