Calgary Transit

kevlo86

13 hours ago, TimmyC62 said:

Route 20's "Weekend service frequency has been increased from every 27 minutes to ever 21 minutes. " for the spring revision, and I cannot be more stoked. Can finally return to regularly doing my Superstore runs on the weekends!

Perfect timing too, considering how everyones panicking and looting the shelves of any & all necessities of life, all over this supposed virus...

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, nsCEO said:

Has the City made any plans to suspend service due to this supposed "virus" 

I hope not, I understand the fact that measures need to be taken but the bottom line is people still have to carry on with their lives 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, nsCEO said:

Has the City made any plans to suspend service due to this supposed "virus" 

The second they suspend transit, is basically the second every carless Calgary individual without cab/Uber money or rides from their parents, will start rioting. Especially because its virtually impossible to go anywhere in Calgary, without cars or trains. Might be able to bike around the neighborhood... but that would be it.  

So if I were forced to bike to Deerfoot Meadows & back to Auburn Bay, everyday, in -20, for hours on end - because CT wanted to be scared s***less about this "pandemic" - you could probably imagine how pissed off I would be. Along with tens of thousands of others.

Please also remember that it’s PEOPLE that drive buses and trains - people that don’t want to get sick, so they don’t get their family sick. Operators interact with thousands of people in a day, and some may actually be ill.  I get that your job and getting around is important, but please have a little compassion for the people that run Transit.  If they run out of drivers, mechanics, Peace Officers, Supervisors, Controllers, etc., Transit can’t run.  
It’s not about being scared - this is the real world. 

• Like 6

Also, stop putting quotations around pandemic and virus. It's pretty dismissive and ignorant. This is a pandemic and this is serious. You may not get ill because you're young and healthy, but if seniors and the vulnerable get it, they're toast. 

That being said, I hope CT doesn't cut any service at this point. A lot of people rely on the service for work, medical appointments, etc. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

Transit operators are sharing their concerns about COVID-19.

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/concerns-over-transit-drivers-covid-19-safety-raised-by-union/wcm/46dbd7f6-a912-4805-bdc5-72bd4b9550c8/

Interesting to note:

The union is also seeking to have passenger board buses’ rear doors to reduce drivers’ exposure.

I believe I saw somewhere this is already being done at STM in Montreal.

Watching a live stream from the city. The transit director is on now. He said that starting tonight, routes serving the airport (Routes 100 and 300) will be rear-loading only.

At the moment, Transit is running normal service, apart from school runs.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, downbeat said:

Watching a live stream from the city. The transit director is on now. He said that starting tonight, routes serving the airport (Routes 100 and 300) will be rear-loading only.

At the moment, Transit is running normal service, apart from school runs.

Only the airport routes?

I guess the only thing stopping them from doing it system wide is that you would have to forego fare checks for it to be effective.

10 minutes ago, Transit Fan said:

Only the airport routes?

I believe I heard this measure might expand to other routes going forward.

The transit director also said that the current schedule, mixed with lower ridership, allows for proper social distancing.

1 hour ago, downbeat said:

I believe I heard this measure might expand to other routes going forward.

The transit director also said that the current schedule, mixed with lower ridership, allows for proper social distancing.

LRT though... more trains and cleaning? Because seeing all of the bodily fluids on the train & everything in the past... then throw in the pandemic, and it could probably use alot more cleaning. Especially on the plastic seats. And with the famous sardine crushloads in rush hour... this (lets really just call it "personal space", because "social distancing" sounds like something out of a Soviet manual) issue might need extra train consists out there, to actually enforce this preventitive measure. 

12 hours ago, armorand said:

LRT though... more trains and cleaning? Because seeing all of the bodily fluids on the train & everything in the past... then throw in the pandemic, and it could probably use alot more cleaning. Especially on the plastic seats. And with the famous sardine crushloads in rush hour... this (lets really just call it "personal space", because "social distancing" sounds like something out of a Soviet manual) issue might need extra train consists out there, to actually enforce this preventitive measure. 

I haven't been out this week to say for certain but judging from some of photos posted online of how empty stations are and how early a large number of buses are running during rush hour based off transit55, I don't think crushloads are a concern. Ridership has dropped off considerably this week.

I observed a few Route 1s toward the latter part of rush hour yesterday and I can say the loads were definitely looking light along the west leg of the route.

I wonder if things are going to change going forward. I saw two instances of Transit telling customers on Twitter that there was no operator available to put a bus into service. This happened to routes 116 and 117 during today's a.m. rush.

On 3/17/2020 at 5:44 PM, downbeat said:

Transit operators are sharing their concerns about COVID-19.

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/concerns-over-transit-drivers-covid-19-safety-raised-by-union/wcm/46dbd7f6-a912-4805-bdc5-72bd4b9550c8/

Interesting to note:

I believe I saw somewhere this is already being done at STM in Montreal.

As is Ottawa's OC Transpo; only wheelchair passengers are allowed to board at the front, and the priority seating area at the front of the bus is taped off. Not sure if this also means the suspension of Request Stops after dark. Only articulated and double-deck buses have Presto card readers at the middle and rear doors, and drivers are no longer handling cash fares and transfers.

On 3/15/2020 at 8:35 PM, yvarushin said:

Also, stop putting quotations around pandemic and virus. It's pretty dismissive and ignorant. This is a pandemic and this is serious. You may not get ill because you're young and healthy, but if seniors and the vulnerable get it, they're toast. 

That being said, I hope CT doesn't cut any service at this point. A lot of people rely on the service for work, medical appointments, etc. 

Some people - including transit workers and many others - don't have the option of working from home/elsewhere, like me for one. And I'm limited in what I can do and when.

And there it is, friends: Rear-boarding only for buses starting Friday; honour system with bus tickets "where possible"; no cash fares accepted.

A curious Twitter user asked a good question: How will this work for shuttle buses? I have not seen an answer yet.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, chills_on_the_train said:

Community shuttle passengers will be asked to climb in through the emergency escape hatch.

And then spend 30 mins being thrown around in the Arboc rattlecage? Oh boy... maybe I should start to practice my knot-tying skills and lasso my way onto the bus, like a John Wayne movie, Calgary Stampede or something.

• Haha 1

On 3/18/2020 at 10:46 PM, R. Meu said:

Its gonna be an issue with the Winnipegers (7963 to 7980) though, given they dont have the ability to just open the rear doors only via a switch.

7963-7980 have been parked until further notice