Calgary Transit

kevlo86

And so begins SG as the weekend garage. Does anyone know when Victoria Park first became the weekend garage? Or when the last (non-flood) time was that VP was closed?

I just can't remember a time when VP wasn't open on weekends. It's crazy seeing Xcelsiors and Novas on routes like the 6 and 7 which have always been served by VP's D40LFs on weekends.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, 1604 said:

And so begins SG as the weekend garage. Does anyone know when Victoria Park first became the weekend garage? Or when the last (non-flood) time was that VP was closed?

I just can't remember a time when VP wasn't open on weekends. It's crazy seeing Xcelsiors and Novas on routes like the 6 and 7 which have always been served by VP's D40LFs on weekends.

I’d assume it took over as the weekend garage in 1983 when Ops moved from Eau Claire garage. 

• Thanks 2

15 hours ago, 1604 said:

It's crazy seeing Xcelsiors and Novas on routes like the 6 and 7 which have always been served by VP's D40LFs on weekends.

Even more so on the 14!

Edited by Nick B

3 hours ago, 1604 said:

VP has always been the 7 day garage for years from what I remember.

And yes, this morning when I checked on the t55 tracker, it was interesting to see all route 1's with Nova's except for one XD40.

14 hours ago, 1604 said:

They balanced that today by putting some 96 D40LFs on the 3 and 57 according to T55, along with a couple of 99s including 7674 on the 301 which probably hasn't gotten one for quite some time. Surprised how many D40LF's are actually out today considering SG has so many XD40s and Novas they can put out instead.

• 1 month later...

Anyone know what the route 495 is for? Noticed it show up on a stop in Google Maps. Checked the CT website and it exists there too.

Starts in Southview and does a loop through the NE to Spring Gardens before ending at Victoria Park. There's a single trip that starts at around 3am and gets to Victoria Park at 4:20am.

Seems like it might be some kind of shuttle for picking up operators/staff and dropping them off at the two garages?

route495.JPG

495_schedule.JPG

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Transit Fan said:

Anyone know what the route 495 is for? Noticed it show up on a stop in Google Maps. Checked the CT website and it exists there too.

Starts in Southview and does a loop through the NE to Spring Gardens before ending at Victoria Park. There's a single trip that starts at around 3am and gets to Victoria Park at 4:20am.

Seems like it might be some kind of shuttle for picking up operators/staff and dropping them off at the two garages?

route495.JPG

495_schedule.JPG

Sounds like the pick-up bus (indicated as P/U Bus).  There's often multiple different pick-up bus routings for different areas of the city, which can change every signup based on who needs it.  Obviously operators can't always take Transit to work (because Transit doesn't start till they arrive!) so CT has shuttles that pick up drivers from around the city and take them to garages.  They also have a take-home bus for late night operators.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Nick B said:

What type of bus do these routes typically use? (40ft? Shuttle?)

Can normal fare paying riders board these routes too?

They use shuttle buses with regular shuttle operators (it's available to sign-up on) - regular passengers cannot board.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, CTrainDude said:

Sounds like the pick-up bus (indicated as P/U Bus).  There's often multiple different pick-up bus routings for different areas of the city, which can change every signup based on who needs it.  Obviously operators can't always take Transit to work (because Transit doesn't start till they arrive!) so CT has shuttles that pick up drivers from around the city and take them to garages.  They also have a take-home bus for late night operators.

I had a feeling P/U stood for pick-up. Thanks for confirming!

Even bus drivers need to take a bus sometimes! ?

I used to use the pick up bus when it stopped at McKnight and it would take 3-4 of us to Anderson. That's before OBMF was opened

I dreaded the train ride back to the NE so I took the pickup bus

It was almost always an Eldorado

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Blake M said:

The only pick up bus that's a big bus is the Tuscany-Brentwood one as it turns into the 72 to bring the drivers to Spring

There is also a big bus monday to friday pick up bus that goes from saddletowne, mcknight and whitehorn and turns into a 73

• Like 2

7 hours ago, yvarushin said:

"Stranded" might be exaggerating a bit. Technically, the 131 will still provide them with some form of bus access.

Although I do admit it might be a bit more effort for them to get to Marlborough with the new routes compared to the existing 57.

23 hours ago, Transit Fan said:

"Stranded" might be exaggerating a bit. Technically, the 131 will still provide them with some form of bus access.

Although I do admit it might be a bit more effort for them to get to Marlborough with the new routes compared to the existing 57.

Agreed.

I was thinking if worse comes to worse either route the 131 along 26 Avenue versus 34 Avenue, or reroute the 440 to service that portion of 26 Avenue