Calgary Transit

kevlo86

https://globalnews.ca/news/3917144/end-of-the-line-for-the-voice-of-calgary-transit/

End of the line for the voice of Calgary Transit

For 31 years, she has made sure you didn’t miss your stop on Calgary’s CTrain. Holly McConnell has been the voice on your daily commute, clearly calling out each stop.

On Thursday however, Holly made her last stop at the Calgary Transit training department before riding off into retirement.

McConnell started with Calgary Transit in 1973, working behind the scenes, handling paperwork and doing payroll. When Teleride was introduced in 1986, Transit needed a friendly voice to talk to its customers and several clerical staff were asked to speak into a tape recorder.

“They wanted to see who sounded the best and clearest, and who could pronounce words like ‘Marlborough,'” McConnell said.

McConnell made the cut and she became “the voice” for all of Transit’s operations.

“It was kind of neat to do it,” said McConnell, adding she wasn’t paid extra for the opportunity.

When called upon, McConnell would do her voicing at a sound studio near Transit’s Spring Gardens bus barn.

Originally her messages were recorded on tape and would sometimes deteriorate, leading to a lot of teasing from her co-workers.

“I used to get a lot of flak from people here who said, ‘You sounded like a chipmunk today,'” McConnell said.

McConnell has thanked an endless number of travellers for riding Calgary Transit. Now it’s Calgary Transit’s turn to thank McConnell for her many years of great service.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, CanadianTransitTycoon said:

It has happened more than once at Heritage before. Most drivers usually park at their route stop and walk to the washrooms. Just curious, what's the rule for bathroom breaks for bus drivers?

The rule is if you have to go you have to go.

Most the time operators park next to the bathroom or as close as they can get to it. Parking at the stop waste a lot of time and a lot of the times there's a line up at the bathroom.

For example take a look at McKnight Westwinds the bathroom is almost half a kilometer away from the Bus Loop! Absolutely ridiculous to design it that way. 

On 2018/1/17 at 10:25 AM, CanadianTransitTycoon said:

It has happened more than once at Heritage before. Most drivers usually park at their route stop and walk to the washrooms. Just curious, what's the rule for bathroom breaks for bus drivers?

That route 3 artic drive should park his bus in they are route stop than walk to the washrooms, but he try to Make him self easy, he park his bus middle of the road.

As a general rule, its best not to post your rants or complaints on the Board (believe me, I know, and I've learned my lesson). Seriously, if you have a problem, just file a complaint with CT. They'll be happy to hear from you; more than the members of discussion here at least. 

As for the driver taking a break, you gotta do what you gotta do, and as far as I can tell, he's parked off to the side, and not in the middle. 

• Like 1