Calgary Transit

kevlo86

8 minutes ago, LRT said:

I'm surprised Tesla hasn't come out with a bus yet... They have a Semi though...

The power train is the hard part. The rest of the bus body built around it and optimizing it for stop and go service would be a cinch for them, should they want. 80% of the work is already done.

10 hours ago, MiWay0310 said:

Would you mind giving a link to that please? Thanks.

If you can't find the report, what standards did it fail to meet?

I never said it failed to meet any standards.

The link to the report can be found in the exact same thread that you responded to with this post, the same day that the link was posted...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56,000 Calgary Transit users per week could be impacted by service cuts

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/city-council-transit-bus-cuts-1.4424078

Is your route on the list?

Here is a list of the bus routes that are proposed to see service cuts:

• Route 2:  mid-day frequency changed from 15 to 20 minutes.
  • Route 7:  mid-day frequency changed from 15 to 20 minutes.
  • Route 10:  weekend frequency changed from 30 to 43 minutes.
  • Route 15: weekday evening frequency changed from 30 to 60 minutes.
  • Route 24:  weekday/weekend evening frequency changed from 30 to 40 minutes.
  • Route 25: weekend service changed from 18 or 30 minutes depending on time of day to 35 minutes.
  • Route 27: two trips cut after 22:00 on weekdays; service removed on weekends.
  • Route 28: AM/PM peak service adjusted from 15 to 30 minutes.
  • Route 31: weekday frequency changed from 15 or 25 minutes depending on time of day to 15 or 30 minutes. Weekend frequency changed from 25 to 35 minutes.
  • Route 34:  weekend mid-day frequency changed from 30 to 32 minutes.
  • Route 78:  weekend frequency changed from 23/30 mins to 33 mins
  • Route 83:  weekday AM/PM peak frequency changed from 15 to 25 minutes.
  • Route 86:  weekday after 22:00 and weekend frequency changed from 30 to 40 minutes.
  • Route 89:  Weekday AM/PM peak frequency changed from 30 to 35-40 minutes.
  • Route 93:  weekday AM/PM peak frequency changed from 7 to 15 minutes, late evening frequency changed from 30 to 40 minutes.
  • Route 105:  weekend frequency changed from 30 to 35 minutes.
  • Route 113:  weekend frequency changed from 30 to 60 minutes.
  • Route 114:  weekday evening and weekend frequency changed from 30 to 40 minutes.
  • Route 120:  weekend frequency changed from 30 to 40 minutes.
  • Route 134:  weekend frequency changed from 30 to 40 minutes.
  • Route 146:  four partial trips cut after midnight on weekdays
  • Route 174:  weekend service removed
  • Route 199:  weekday late evening frequency changed from 25 to 35 minutes, weekend frequency changed from 25 to 37 minutes.
  • Route 300:  weekday evening frequency changed from 20 to 30 minutes.
  • Route 420:  weekday midday frequency changed from 25 to 33 minutes, weekday frequency after 22:00 changed from 30 to 35 minutes, weekend frequency changed from 30 to 36 minutes.
  • Route 453:  weekday late evening and weekend frequency changed from 30 to 45 minutes.
  • Route 456:  weekday late evening and weekend frequency changed from 30 to 45 minutes.

• Sad 1

That is really rough for some routes.

If ridership was already low on some of the routes to warrant cuts in the first place, it's gonna start tanking even more. For people that need to get around during evening or weekends, 40-60 headways just isn't very appealing at all especially if your trip involves connections to other routes.

Perhaps i'm a bit biased since I live in an area where our bus has always been minimum 30 min headways, but that really needs to be the bare minimum to be considered viable. Any more than that and you're really better off just driving if you want to get around anywhere in a reasonable time. Of course, that's not an option for everyone and it's those people that get affected the most.

I can tell you right now this is going to result in major overcrowding on some routes. Where are they even coming up with some of these frequencies? 32 mins? 33 mins? I live in Citadel and a 37 minute frequency on the 199 doesn't make the slightest bit of sense

I will definitely late night frequencies on many routes (say, after 9pm weekdays, 7-8pm weekends) need to be scaled back. Routes like the 31 run around empty even before Market Mall closes. However daytime frequencies shouldn't be affected. It doesn't make sense to have a 43 minute frequency on the 10 at 11am as well as at 11pm. 

Additionally, when all the Northwest routes were changed last September, wasn't the goal to avoid low frequencies on routes like the 31, 113, 120, and 134?

Route 93:  weekday AM/PM peak frequency changed from 7 to 15 minutes, late evening frequency changed from 30 to 40 minutes

Well, there goes my 7 and 8 minute peak frequencies... To be honest, these service hours since the opening of the West LRT could really be more useful elsewhere, but it sucks to have to wait longer for a bus.  Plus the short turn trips to 69th Ave Station were much more reliable since the two hour long route throws off the schedule when there are accidents further down along the route. Also not great to have 40 minute late night vs 30 minute, but it is what it is I guess.

Looking at the other routes, the 32, 33, 37 and 43 minute frequencies really will make it hard for people without a phone to remember their bus schedule. I guess these are a result of some interlining and these numbers made the most sense on a planning level to maximize service, but not great for normal riders who use the service.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Transit Fan said:

Not to mention these super weird frequencies make it harder to tell what time your bus is scheduled at without looking at a schedule.

1 minute ago, Vancouver said:

Well, there goes my 7 and 8 minute peak frequencies... To be honest, these service hours since the opening of the West LRT could really be more useful elsewhere, but it sucks to have to wait longer for a bus.  Plus the short turn trips to 69th Ave Station were much more reliable since the two hour long route throws off the schedule when there are accidents further down along the route. Also not great to have 40 minute late night vs 30 minute, but it is what it is I guess.

Looking at the other routes, the 32, 33, 37 and 43 minute frequencies really will make it hard for people without a phone to remember their bus schedule. I guess these are a result of some interlining and these numbers made the most sense on a planning level to maximize service, but not great for normal riders who use the service.

I have never been able to find a good enough reason to have weird frequencies on many routes outside of rush hour except for a specific, consistent layover at CTrain stations. (Ie. Route 445 at Saddletowne Station.) Additionally, it makes it that much harder to make consistent connections throughout the day with weird frequencies. For instance, theoretically, to connect between a 10 on a 43 minute frequency to a 73 on a 30 minute frequency, it is much more difficult to do so versus having the 10 on a 40 or 45 minute frequency

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Blake M said:

I have never been able to find a good enough reason to have weird frequencies on many routes outside of rush hour except for a specific, consistent layover at CTrain stations. (Ie. Route 445 at Saddletowne Station.) Additionally, it makes it that much harder to make consistent connections throughout the day with weird frequencies. For instance, theoretically, to connect between a 10 on a 43 minute frequency to a 73 on a 30 minute frequency, it is much more difficult to do so versus having the 10 on a 40 or 45 minute frequency

That's actually a very good point and a more important one than just being harder to remember the schedule now that I think about it.

So not only would frequencies be worse but the connectivity to other routes as well...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Transit Fan said:

That's actually a very good point and a more important one than just being harder to remember the schedule now that I think about it.

So not only would frequencies be worse but the connectivity to other routes as well...

You got it. Hence why I curse routes like the 302 being on a 26 minute frequency and the 301 being on a 14 minute frequency. I have never understood the 301 frequencies (except for the brief period where it was every 10 minutes) because it's nearly impossible to schedule feeder routes on 30 minute frequencies around a route that's every 14/20 minutes. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Blake M said:

Good news everyone Council voted not to allow the cuts to go ahead

Yep, here's the official article (for archival purposes, delete if not necessary): 

Calgary Transit service cuts halted by city council from http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/calgary-transit-service-cuts-halted-1.4425893

Council voted to spend $4M to allow transit to maintain service levels:

City council has hit the brakes on proposed service cuts to Calgary Transit.

The city wanted to cut 46,800 hours of bus service in 2018 to help balance next year's civic budget. Those cuts would have affected 56,000 transit users every week on 27 different routes. 

Council took a lengthy but creative path to get to the transit solution without raising property taxes.

It decided to put $4 million back into transit while at the same time voting to take the same amount of one-time money from its fiscal stability reserve (FSR) to help fund its low-income transit pass program.

Administration had wanted to put that cost into next year's budget. So instead of adding that to the base budget, it will be a one-time spend.

The city will now lobby the provincial government to pay for that program in future years. Mayor Naheed Nenshi said he thinks the chance of that happening are about 50-50.

He cautions that not all of the proposed service cuts will be mitigated but Calgary Transit could decide to place vehicles on other routes with greater potential ridership.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Blake M said:

Good news everyone Council voted not to allow the cuts to go ahead

That is good news. City Council has an obligation to provide service to their citizens. Why cut service when all they're going to do is boost service again in the near future... spending money and time in the process.

I truly believe Calgary Transit was a little bit late on the ball.... savings could have been made elsewhere a long time ago.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...