Calgary Transit

kevlo86

There's also a video for the North Crosstown:

3 hours ago, DarkKeyo said:

For the North Crosstown, it misses Lions Park station, Village Square, Foothills Hospital, and Peter Lougheed by several blocks each. They want to have a fast and direct route for the BRT, but missing all of those destinations is going to hurt ridership (it will remain on local routes), which will hurt frequency, and without frequency it's going to be not much use. They might have an explanation but I haven't heard it. The future stops at McMahon and Banff Tr TOD might have the same problem. 

I'm guessing the answer is just that they think the proposed station locations strike a good balance between convenience and directness. There is likely all kinds of ridership and usage data that supports the proposed station locations.

In the case of the Foothills Hospital stop, there are grand plans for that area - redevelopment of the Stadium shopping centre on the north side of 16th, and the new cancer centre on the south side of 16th. The stop isn't going to be quite as far away from everything in the future as it is now.

Speaking personally, I'm happy to have (slightly) less convenient station locations in exchange for better reliability, frequency, and trip times than the equivalent local bus route. But I think it's going to be difficult to achieve much in the way of improved frequency or reliability with how little there will be in the way of traffic priority on 16th Avenue, and none on the slowest stretch between 19 St NW and 6 St NE. You could add layover points along the route (and I don't know if there's any other choice) but that further diminishes the benefits of the BRT.

It worries me that the blurb on service frequency only specifies what peak hour frequency will be. There is also no mention of off-board fare payment which I would like to see. All door boarding!

I raised my concerns/questions about the project in the online form they had posted for a little while, so I am also hopeful we will see a response posted. The project page says a summary report of feedback will be provided in 'early 2017', hopefully that's what we're looking for.

18 hours ago, Nick B said:

I'd like to see it serve the Deerfoot Meadows shopping centre as an alternative to the 72/73 from Chinook

It actually does, but both videos (confusingly) skip many of the stops. Full South Crosstown map is here: south-crosstown-brt-map.jpg

• Like 1

18 hours ago, 1604 said:

I raised my concerns/questions about the project in the online form they had posted for a little while, so I am also hopeful we will see a response posted. The project page says a summary report of feedback will be provided in 'early 2017', hopefully that's what we're looking for.

I did as well, although maybe not in as much detail as this post because there was no space on the online form. I had been hoping to tell someone these things at an Open House and find out what data supports their plans. Because as someone who uses the routes EW on 16th a lot, it doesn't feel like I'm getting much. Hopefully their summary will explain. 

If they manage 15 min or better frequency, or even 20 min at the lowest, it'll provide some benefit. 

I think frequency will definitely be key for these new BRT routes.

If they wanna pitch these as an alternative for going across town without having to go through Downtown via the LRT, they have to feature a good frequency at all times of day. 

The new stretch of the 306 seems like it might become fairly popular. Existing service connecting Quarry Park and Douglesglen terminals to the Red Line is pretty lackluster in the off-peak.

On 2/5/2017 at 1:21 AM, Issack said:

March signup 

78 will be going to 66 minute round trips which means 22 minute headways!

302 is going to 26 minute headways ?

445 route has been modified to serve city scape!

Hmm, shorter headways are nice I guess but stuff like this makes it harder to memorize the schedule.

15 hours ago, DarkKeyo said:

There is a survey up for the North Crosstown BRT:

http://www.calgarytransit.com/survey

Looks like the same kind they had for the 17th Ave BRT back in December.

They're gonna have a lot more ground to cover this time considering the length of the North Crosstown. Would be nice to see them work with places like the hospitals, SAIT and UofC since i'm sure there's a good chunk of existing NE <-> NW riders that would be good to get feedback from.

31 minutes ago, Transit Fan said:

Looks like the same kind they had for the 17th Ave BRT back in December.

They're gonna have a lot more ground to cover this time considering the length of the North Crosstown. Would be nice to see them work with places like the hospitals, SAIT and UofC since i'm sure there's a good chunk of existing NE <-> NW riders that would be good to get feedback from.

The Calgary Transit representative who handed me the card with the survey website did so at Brentwood. Hopefully they're at the other locations too. 

On 2017-02-16 at 8:48 AM, DarkKeyo said:

The Calgary Transit representative who handed me the card with the survey website did so at Brentwood. Hopefully they're at the other locations too. 

It will be another targeted survey process, per my transit studies sourse. Although the survey will be online for everyone, they want to preech the folks that take this service or could potentially take this service to complete the survey. 

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, School Bus 101 said:

Spotted an XD40 near Dalhousie Station earlier today that had "129 Sage Hill" on the destination sign. 

A sign update was pushed out to the entire fleet friday morning to incorporate changes for the next signup. Per my post at the end of January, the Route 429 will be renumbered to 129 effective March signup.

• 2 weeks later...

Everyone looked pissed off as he mentioned that it was going to be -20.? Flames suck and have no chance to be in the playoffs.... Fake news!?

Syd is a super nice guy and I enjoy working with him! Way to go buddy!

2 hours ago, TimmyC62 said:

Brentwood station overpass signage now updated to include the new 82 Nolan Hill.

(I'd take a photo, but maybe later when it's warmer)

Ah! That solved a mystery for me. It's had that 82 posted up for months, and I had no idea what route it was for. 

On 3/9/2017 at 8:23 PM, thager said:
22 hours ago, LRT said:

Everyone looked pissed off as he mentioned that it was going to be -20.? Flames suck and have no chance to be in the playoffs.... Fake news!?

Syd is a super nice guy and I enjoy working with him! Way to go buddy!

Love this guy. I used to regularly catch his train in the mornings and his announcements always put me in a good mood for the day. It's hard not to smile when you hear him come on.

I didn't know he's #1 now. Gonna be a sad day when he retires!

-----

Here are the blocks for the 82. Three in the AM, three in the PM. All are 82 only except for one PM run which is interlined with the 408.

AM:

https://transit55.ca/calgary/block?id=4450704

https://transit55.ca/calgary/block?id=4450666

https://transit55.ca/calgary/block?id=4450905

PM:

https://transit55.ca/calgary/block?id=4451348

https://transit55.ca/calgary/block?id=4451323

https://transit55.ca/calgary/block?id=4451368 (interlined with 408)

From the latest RouteAhead update going to the SPC on Transit and Transportation this upcoming Wednesday:

On-road vehicle and engine emission regulations and other regulations made under the Canadian Environmental Protection Act will introduce stricter limits on air pollutant emissions from new vehicles beginning with the 2017 model year. These regulations will impact bus engine design and operation and have the potential to increase maintenance costs for buses.

Calgary Transit continues to investigate options to diversify fuel for the transit fleet to minimize the impact of these changes. Electric buses and hydrogen fuel cell buses trials are in the planning stages. The City of Calgary applied for a grant in 2015 [from the Climate Change and Emissions Management Corporation] for an electric bus trial but was not successful in receiving funding. Calgary Transit continues to explore a trial of electric buses with bus manufacturers and CUTRIC (Canadian Urban Transit Research and Innovation Consortium). Calgary Transit has also started discussions to be a part of an Alberta-wide trial of hydrogen fuel powered buses.

Building on a successful CNG (compressed natural gas) bus trial, CNG buses will be part of the procurement strategy for Calgary Transit fleet. Construction on a new CNG maintenance and fuelling facility has started and will be complete in 2019. The new facility will enable Calgary Transit to begin shifting some new fleet purchases to CNG-powered vehicles.

http://agendaminutes.calgary.ca/sirepub/view.aspx?cabinet=published_meetings&fileid=517935

• Like 2