Calgary Transit

kevlo86

Calgary Transit's new order of 43 D40LF's have begun arriving. New style Interiors. Also, note the different style Allison Transmission selectors.

http://www.busdrawings.com/Transit/alberta.../2007/index.htm

And in other news... Calgary Transit 1977 Fishbowl #897, which is one of the units that was refurbed in the last 8 years or so, now has a rear engine door off of one of the old two tone blue Fishbowls. Check it out here:

http://www.busdrawings.com/Transit/alberta...1-899/index.htm . Scroll to the bottom of this list of thumbnails to view the photos of 897. They are the bottom two shots. Enjoy!

Comments?

The new Allison Transmission keypad selector will be standard. Good for me sitting at the front to know what gear it's running. Are they 5-speed BTW?

Where's the label for the rear door?

Now, are these seats new specs for CT from now on? If so, it looks like the last hurrah of soft bench seats.

The new Allison Transmission keypad selector will be standard. Good for me sitting at the front to know what gear it's running. Are they 5-speed BTW?

Where's the label for the rear door?

Now, are these seats new specs for CT from now on? If so, it looks like the last hurrah of soft bench seats.

Not sure if they are 5 speed or not. I didn't put it into gear to find that out. We will know soon enough though. But I must say, I kinda doubt they are the 6 speed model.

The Labels for the rear doors have not been put on yet. CT does their own decalling normally.

As for the seats, yes, as far as I know, this is our new style interior. this change is long overdue. I did always like the old seating that we have used since 1970 (for the blue interiors), but it is far beyond its time. Especially in a new bus. We now currently have 5 different styles of interior seating ! Of course the old bench seating that I was just referring to, the blue shell seating in the MCI #'s 5001-5056, 5108-5117, the 3 test units with the slightly higher backed bucket style seating in D40LF #'s 7870, 7871, & 7872, the different colored shell seating in the "Winnipeg spec" D40LF #'s 7963-7980, and now the new interiors in the 2007 D40LF's.

This morning I found #7002 inside Spring Gardens all parted out. In ther afternoon, I found it parked out by the 32nd Ave. exit waiting to be towed away for scrap. This is the first of the D40's to be scrapped. #'s 7005 and 7007 are still parked outside the Garage and I expect that these will be parted out and scrapped soon as well.

As for the seats, yes, as far as I know, this is our new style interior. this change is long overdue. I did always like the old seating that we have used since 1970 (for the blue interiors), but it is far beyond its time. Especially in a new bus. We now currently have 5 different styles of interior seating ! Of course the old bench seating that I was just referring to, the blue shell seating in the MCI #'s 5001-5056, 5108-5117, the 3 test units with the slightly higher backed bucket style seating in D40LF #'s 7870, 7871, & 7872, the different colored shell seating in the "Winnipeg spec" D40LF #'s 7963-7980, and now the new interiors in the 2007 D40LF's.

That sucks im not a fan of hard shell seats. What ever happend to the higher bucket seats. Those were comfortable.

That sucks im not a fan of hard shell seats. What ever happend to the higher bucket seats. Those were comfortable.

I don't mind the shell seats. For one, they are often in cleaner condition as theya re much harder to slice up with knives and such. Those soft bench seating are of course much more comfortable, but they are often torn up and stuffing pulled out. Then taped up with Duct tape which ends up being pulled up by some people and then others sit on it and get that duct tape glue on their clothing or even bare legs. Yuck.

I have noticed that over the years, the MCI's with the shell seating are always in generally better condition when compared to the MCI's that have the older interior with the soft bench seating. So far, when driving the "Winnipeg" D40LF's which have the shell seating, I have noticed that they are also in much better condition. Yes, they are still pretty new buses. But I remember driving some of the late 2005 D40LF's with only a couple weeks of service so far and they already had cut up and vandalized seats.

As for the bucket seats in #'s 7870-7872, they are still there. Not sure if they will be changed out or not though.

I don't mind the shell seats. For one, they are often in cleaner condition as theya re much harder to slice up with knives and such. Those soft bench seating are of course much more comfortable, but they are often torn up and stuffing pulled out. Then taped up with Duct tape which ends up being pulled up by some people and then others sit on it and get that duct tape glue on their clothing or even bare legs. Yuck.

I have noticed that over the years, the MCI's with the shell seating are always in generally better condition when compared to the MCI's that have the older interior with the soft bench seating. So far, when driving the "Winnipeg" D40LF's which have the shell seating, I have noticed that they are also in much better condition. Yes, they are still pretty new buses. But I remember driving some of the late 2005 D40LF's with only a couple weeks of service so far and they already had cut up and vandalized seats.

As for the bucket seats in #'s 7870-7872, they are still there. Not sure if they will be changed out or not though.

It's better for them to have hard shell seats as the city continues to grow along with more ridership.

So far the highest number I have seen for the new batch of D40LF's is # 7998. Still don't know what they are going to do when they get to #8000. Also spotted one being delivered, but could not catch the number. In other news, #'s 1004 and 1054 are parked out back at Spring Gardens. I suspect they are waiting for parts or some other work. #1004 looked more like it was waiting for her turn in the paint booth as she had freshly replaced side silversiding around the right hand rear axle.

#7002 has now been sent for scrap as it left the property sometim earlier this week while I was away in Edmonton. #7005 is now inside having Ballasts (Spelling) and other parts removed to be sent away for scrap. #7007 is still parked outside and is most likely waiting to be parted out as well.

Cheers,

Peter McLaughlin

http://www.busdrawings.com

Oh Yeah... I forgot...

Calgary Transit #7792 is out of service and parked near #7751 at Spring Gardens after suffering an engine compartment fire last Monday. The Interior looks like it only suffered smoke damage so we will see what happens with this one wether it will be rebuilt or scrapped. I personally think it will be rebuilt. But it's hard to say at this point.

Cheers,

Peter McLaughlin

http://www.busdrawings.com

A serious Truck-C-Train accident occured at about 10:30 this morning, the driver of the truck died in hospital as a result of injuries. There were no serious injuries aboard the train. C-Train service to the northeast line (Route 202) was shut down for 5 hours, with service restroed at about 3:30.

Must have been quite an interesting day for drivers/supervisors at Calgary Transit that operated any of the contingency shuttles or were at the scene of this accident. Does any body know what route that contingency shuttle took?

Condolences to the family and friends of the deceased driver of the truck.

Here are a couple of small photos from CTV News Calgary

lrtcrash2.jpglrtcrash.jpg

Below are clips from Citybeat Calgary (earliest news releases are posted first)

At 10:29 this morning, the Calgary Fire Department along with

EMS and CPS responded to an collision between a C-train and 3

-tonne flat bed truck at 28th Street and Memorial Drive SE.

Fire crews were very successful in performing a rapid

extrication of the driver of the truck. He was transferred

to awaiting EMS personnel in very serious condition.

Four fire apparatus and ten fire personnel were dispatched to

the scene. It is expected that the LRT line will not be

operational until the track is cleared and investigation

completed.

EMS also treated a number of C-train passengers. Fire crews

remain on scene at this time.

-30-

This morning at 10:30 a.m. Calgary paramedics responded to

Memorial Drive and 28 Street NE for reports of a collision

involving a truck and a C-train. When paramedics arrived

they found that a male, believed to be in his 40s, had

sustained critical life threatening injuries as a result of

the collision.

Calgary firefighters worked quickly to free the man from the

vehicle, at which point he went into cardiac arrest.

Paramedics quickly initiated advanced life support, and with

the assistance of the Calgary Fire Department, transported

him to the Foothills Hospital for further evaluation.

Paramedics boarded the C-train and evaluated the passengers

of the front car. Several of the passengers had sustained

minor bumps and bruises as a result of the collision. A 24

year old female was transported to the Peter Lougheed

Hospital as a precaution with a minor injury.

The driver of the C-train did not require treatment or

transport to the hospital.

The Calgary Police Service and Calgary Transit are

investigating the details of this collision.

-30-

Due to the accident involving a vehicle and the CTrain at 28

St. and Memorial Drive, Calgary Transit is providing shuttle

bus service. The shuttles are travelling in both directions

between Barlow station and Marlborough station. Shuttle buses

will be provided until the accident is cleared. CTrain

service is not affected on the south or northwest legs of the

LRT. Calgary Police Service is investigating the incident.

-30-

Shortly after 10:30AM on Thursday, February 15th 2007, the

Calgary Police Service responded to the intersection of

Memorial Drive and 28 Street SE. Upon arrival, police

officers found a truck had been struck by a C-Train traveling

east bound through the intersection.

A 30 year old male, the single occupant of the truck, was

transported to hospital with life threatening injuries. A

short time later, doctors pronounced the man had succumbed to

his injuries.

Investigations of collisions involving the C-Train at

intersections are complex, and in this case, roads in the

area will be closed until at least 4:00PM. Please be advised

that traffic east bound Memorial is closed at Barlow Trail.

Also, the road north and southbound 28 Street is closed at

Memorial Drive. West bound Memorial Drive is open. Finally,

C-Trains are not running to the north eastern leg of the

transit system at this time.

-30-

Effective 3:30pm, CTrain service was restored to the NE leg

of the LRT.

-30-

Remember 2010, that was damaged beyond repair in a collision a few years ago? By now it must have been fully parted out and scrapped.

But 2010 was in a lot worse shape than 2019 seems to be in. #2010 also had the trucks ripped right from the structure of the car on the lead end of the train when it derailed... And yes, 2010 was finally parted out and remains sent for scrap about 2 years ago now.

It is not known if 2019 will be repaired at this point. I will post when I find out more.

That really sucks :) They are getting old and there was talk of a mass C-train retirement (I think) to keep the rest of the old fleet going so maybe this might be one that might help some of the aging fleet out with donor parts, was this one refurbed anytime recently?