Calgary Transit

kevlo86

Here is a photo of rebuilt 1992 MCI TC40102N "Classic" #5070 taken August 21, 2006 upon returning to Anderson Garage.

Saw a CT Classic at MTB in Milton, two guys were sanding inside the bus on outside. Very busy location now.

Nice picture Kevin. I noticed that they have added 4 LED turnsignals on the side of the bus as well. Has anything changed inside like the driver's seat or new passenger seat inserts?

Thanks!

The rebuild work is mostly just bodywork/framework and some mechanical stuff. The insides of the bus are left untouched. The only thing that changes in terms of how the bus looks is the addition of LED turn signals and tail lights.

Correction - CT Fleet News

Hi Everyone,

I forgot about something in my last post when I posted about #'s 1129 and 1138

being retired and

scrapped. #1152 which had been parked outside at Spring Gardens for quite some

time has now

recently been fixed and returned to service. So that makes the total GM's in

service at 153. It is

still unknown if they will fix up #1014 after it was damagaed in an accident on

the front end some

time ago. It is still parked outside at Spring Gardens.

As for the total number of GM's still in the old two tone blue Livery, we now

have 23 active units

in the old Livery with #1152 returning to service.

Also, NFI D40 #7007 is back in the shops being reparied and will hopefully be

back in service soon

as well.

Anyone else have something to add?

R.I.P. #'s 1129 & 1138

#1138 was retired and hauled away just a couple of days ago and now #1129 sits by the south gates at Spring Gardens waiting to be hauled away for scrap. This would mean that we now have 152 GM New Looks left in the active fleet. Obviously not a surprise. But sad.

1129 has now been hauled away for scrap. There are currently no GM's left on the property that are waiting to be taken away for scrap at this time. #1014 is still sitting around, but it is not known for sure that this unit will be scrapped yet. Will post when I find out.

#966 has returned to Spring Gardens Transit Garage from the Police Training Department. It was retired a few years ago and sent over for training purposes and has now been returned so that CT can most likely grab a few parts of needed and then remove the ballasts from the interior lighting and send it off for scrap. Not much glass is still good in this bus.

#966 has returned to Spring Gardens Transit Garage from the Police Training Department. It was retired a few years ago and sent over for training purposes and has now been returned so that CT can most likely grab a few parts of needed and then remove the ballasts from the interior lighting and send it off for scrap. Not much glass is still good in this bus.

Found out that #1157 is the one that ended up at the Police Training department recently....

How many buses still operate out of Anderson Garage? How many more can they kick out to make room for the expanding C-Train fleet? Where could they build a 4th bus garage if they need it? I know they expanded Spring Gardens a few years ago; the historic buses that were parked under the tents there were moved to the Reynolds-Alberta Museum in Wetaskiwin. There's probably no room to expand Victoria Park Garage.

How many buses still operate out of Anderson Garage? How many more can they kick out to make room for the expanding C-Train fleet? Where could they build a 4th bus garage if they need it? I know they expanded Spring Gardens a few years ago; the historic buses that were parked under the tents there were moved to the Reynolds-Alberta Museum in Wetaskiwin. There's probably no room to expand Victoria Park Garage.

They are building a new garage for the C-Train up in the north east.

I don't think there's any room at Vic Park and I have heard there are certain groups that would like to see that garage moved elsewhere.

They are building a new garage for the C-Train up in the north east.

I don't think there's any room at Vic Park and I have heard there are certain groups that would like to see that garage moved elsewhere.

Yes, I I know about that; it's to be called the Oliver Bowen Center after Calgary's first LRT Project Director in the 1980s. When's it supposed to open? Even so, they're still running short on bus storage space, and they'll have to address that sooner or later. Moving Vic Park is not much of an option, since the control center is located there.

Yes, I I know about that; it's to be called the Oliver Bowen Center after Calgary's first LRT Project Director in the 1980s. When's it supposed to open? Even so, they're still running short on bus storage space, and they'll have to address that sooner or later. Moving Vic Park is not much of an option, since the control center is located there.

Some of the 1993 D40LF's have recently been shipped back to Spring Gardens from Anderson. So those may not be correct right now as I have not been able to confirm which ones have been moved as of yet. #'s 7963 to 7980 are now all operating out of Anderson Garage. More later when I find out more.

• 4 weeks later...
Calgary Transit has awarded the tender (closed June 2006) for 6 low-floor artic's to: New Flyer Industries

No details as to delivery dates, fitting out requirements or cost. All that is stated on their website is:

TENDER NO.:

06-6769

PROJECT TITLE:

Supply and Deliver Six (6) more or less, Low Floor, Wheel Chair Accessible Heavy Duty Articulated Transit Coaches

AWARD DATE:

2006 July 20

AWARDED TO:

New Flyer Industries Ltd.

Hmmm! Wonder what they will look like!

Do you suppose they will have the narrow rear exit doors rather than the wide ones?

If they do get them with the narrow rear doors, then they will be the first D60LF's (Or LFR's) that I will know of like that. I am not even sure if we will have one rear door or two. If it is only one rear, door, then probably the double width rear door. But really, it is hard to guess at these things until we hear more about them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

2005 D40LF 7902 was struck by part of a CN train that derailed late Wednesday morning at 52 Street and 50 Avenue SE.

A report from an official press release that there were no serious injuries. Additionally a report from a witness indicated no injuries.

The bus appears to have taken a very heavy impact, what looks like a set of trucks from the derailed train. Damage doesn't look that bad though, just the areas of impact pushed in a bit. I wouldn't be surprised if there was some structral damage underneath. Though interstingly all the passenger windows are still intact.

Lucky that it wasn't a car or pedestrain that got struck by heavy debris.

CN really needs to get its act together, sooner or later if they keep this up, one of their derailments is going to have much more serious consequences with regard to human life.

Here are a couple photos provided by a witness of the aftermath.

ct7902wreck.jpg

ct7902wreck2.jpg