• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm curious... I decided to try plane spotting again at some point next week at Pearson... does anyone know where the most ideal location would be to wait for larger aircraft like the 747 or the A380? Or does it change depending on the weather? Thanks!

I'm curious... I decided to try plane spotting again at some point next week at Pearson... does anyone know where the most ideal location would be to wait for larger aircraft like the 747 or the A380? Or does it change depending on the weather? Thanks!

If they're using the east-west runways, you can wait on Airport Rd. just north of Orlando Dr. at the edge of the runway. There's an old turn lane on the side of the road where vehicles usually pull over and spot (there are tons of no stopping signs but the police usually leave well enough alone). Because 05/23 is the longest of the three east-west runways, you'll see the A380 use it exclusively, and you'll also catch various 777, 767, A330 and MD11 (FedEx) aircraft (and a whole lot of WestJet). The only A380 operator to Pearson is Emirates, and their A380 arrives/departs MWF at 15:05/19:40 respectively. It's awesome when it's taking off from 05 and passes right over you on Airport Rd. Not the best for photographs unless you like the bellies, but it's a great experience nonetheless.

If you want more standard-sized aircraft, you can wait on the Renforth curve between Convair and the 427; this gives you a good view of the eastern halves of the 24s/6s.

If they're using 15/33 (doesn't happen too often but because of the winds lately, it's definitely possible), your best bet is on Derry, either side of Torbram Rd for takeoffs and Explorer Drive on the south side of the 401 for approaches (this isn't as good as it used to be because of the buildings on the south side of the 401; I wouldn't recommend it anymore). You can listen to CYYZ Tower on LiveATC before heading out if you want an idea of which runways they're using; note that it can change during the day due to wind or other factors.

Anyways, it's a good idea to scout things out for yourself and come up with your own preferred areas. No matter where you go, you're going to see planes and that's what matters. Good luck, and enjoy! (If you want any maps or anything, let me know; I don't mind pointing out some spots).

If you see somebody wearing a grey backpack with red straps (and a "REMOVE BEFORE FLIGHT" pull-thing on the front), be sure to say hi! I seem to be spending more and more time out there these days. :)