Does it piss you off when you see a bus driver "texting and driving?" or gabbing on thier cell phone?

buschic

How much does it annoy you when this happens?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Please Check one only

• Not at All, I feel safe no matter what.
    • A little bit, I am slightly concerned about this.
    • This worries me alot, as it is against the Highway Traffic Act.
    • I am very concerned and feel unsafe riding the bus when the driver is doing this.
    • It is the right of the driver to put everyone on the bus and fellow drivers at risk.
    • I dont see this happening.
  2. 2. What do you do or say?

• nothing, I dont care.
    • quietly ask the driver to concertrate, as He/She is endangering lives doing this.
    • use MY cell phone and call the company, quoting the bus number, time, route, and direction of travel.
    • Speak to the driver and ask politely for them to refrain from doing this.
    • get off the bus, fearing for your safety.
    • get home and call/email the company

My 2 cents worth (as a transit operator).

TTC regulations are quite specific: "All Operators and Collectors are reminded that reading, the use of cell phones, or listening to personal radios or recorded music players is prohibited while operating a TTC vehicle or on duty in a Collector booth." The regulation goes on to further state: "As professional transit employees, you are responsible for ensuring the safety, security and well being of customers. Not only is reading, cell phone use, or listening to a personal radio or recorded music player while on duty a safety concern, it also creates a negative impression with our customers regarding the professionalism and efficiency of our operation."

I have seen far too many distracted car drivers using cell phones in my daily operation of a TTC vehicle. Driving ANY vehicle and cell phone use are NOT compatable activities.

When I receive calls from CIS on the TRUMP unit, I usually tend not to answer them unless my vehicle is stationary. If I am in motion, I usually request that they wait a moment until I have the vehicle stopped in a safe location (using the boom mike and unit loudspeaker - not the handset).

I have observed several of my fellow TTC operators using their cell phones while operating vehicles. In my opinion, I feel that this is unprofessional and dangerous.

If we are observed (and obviously caught) engaging in this activity while operating a vehicle, we are subject to discipline by TTC management.

To address some of the other comments:

- TTC does not provide washroom facilities at the ends of bus routes (except at subway stations and streetcar loops shared by bus routes). If you are lucky, there might be a coffee shop or gas station located at the end of the line. Otherwise, you just hold it until you get back to the subway staion.

Hey Bmountdriver, thanks for clearing this up for me, I know that on the 300 BLUE NIGHT, my Friend does not get ANY washroom breaks, it is GO GO GO, no stops at the ends, he sometimes if there is NO ONE on board, will duck into Islington station to use the Washroom, but that is VERY RARE.

He feels the same way about Cellphone usuage.

to answer the question in the title - if I saw ANY driver of ANY vehicle I was on texting while trying to drive, I'd get out of the vehicle immideatly. that is 110% unsafe. as for chatting on the cell, I've seen maybe 1 driver do it, if you want to see cell phone chatting, hop in a cab

I use the washroom at Finch all the time and you should see the looks i get from passengers when I get back to the bus (and it only takes me like 3 minutes).!! It used to frustrate me so much but now I really don't care (not to sound mean)... but you know what.. they'll still get to where they are going on time and I've avoided a urinary problem! (mind you most of these people are the ones that have stuffy office jobs with a washroom 2 steps away from them at all times)

LOL, I see the same looks on the BLUE NIGHT when my friend goes into Islington parks in the 37 bay and goes to the driver washroom there, lol, most are half asleep but yeah same odd looks.

• 3 years later...
  • 2 months later...
My 2 cents worth (as a transit operator).

TTC regulations are quite specific: "All Operators and Collectors are reminded that reading, the use of cell phones, or listening to personal radios or recorded music players is prohibited while operating a TTC vehicle or on duty in a Collector booth." The regulation goes on to further state: "As professional transit employees, you are responsible for ensuring the safety, security and well being of customers. Not only is reading, cell phone use, or listening to a personal radio or recorded music player while on duty a safety concern, it also creates a negative impression with our customers regarding the professionalism and efficiency of our operation."

I have seen far too many distracted car drivers using cell phones in my daily operation of a TTC vehicle. Driving ANY vehicle and cell phone use are NOT compatable activities.

When I receive calls from CIS on the TRUMP unit, I usually tend not to answer them unless my vehicle is stationary. If I am in motion, I usually request that they wait a moment until I have the vehicle stopped in a safe location (using the boom mike and unit loudspeaker - not the handset).

I have observed several of my fellow TTC operators using their cell phones while operating vehicles. In my opinion, I feel that this is unprofessional and dangerous.

If we are observed (and obviously caught) engaging in this activity while operating a vehicle, we are subject to discipline by TTC management.

To address some of the other comments:

- TTC does not provide washroom facilities at the ends of bus routes (except at subway stations and streetcar loops shared by bus routes). If you are lucky, there might be a coffee shop or gas station located at the end of the line. Otherwise, you just hold it until you get back to the subway staion.

I agree 100% with you. The same rules apply up here in North Bay. In fact, operators have been disciplined and even terminated because of talking/texting while the vehicle was in motion. I simply do not think it's worth the risk to lose your job for a phone call or text message or worse, end up in an accident because of it. Whatever it may be, it can probably wait until your completed the run and have a minute or two between routes to address your calls but never while driving. Just my input.

Well on Saturday I rode an MT D40LF and the driver was talking on his cell phone, he was driving responsibly, the conversation on his cell wasn't long either. As long as drivers keep it short and are driving responsibly, I'm ok with it.

You're right, if they keep it short, it's all right. If they're running red lights then that's a problem, but I don't find talking responsibly on a cell phone while driving that much different than talking on the radio. Also, all this crap about endangering people's lives...unless the driver is all over the road, it's really not a life/death situation.

TTC7350, I'm assuming you set up this poll. It is very biased ("It is the right of the driver to endanger the lives of the passengers and other drivers" and "not at all I feel safe no matter what" are the only answers that are not against texting and driving). If you want people to agree with you so much that you set a poll so that gives people the choice of either agreeing with you or looking stupid, don't set up a poll at all.

You're right, if they keep it short, it's all right. If they're running red lights then that's a problem, but I don't find talking responsibly on a cell phone while driving that much different than talking on the radio. Also, all this crap about endangering people's lives...unless the driver is all over the road, it's really not a life/death situation.

TTC7350, I'm assuming you set up this poll. It is very biased ("It is the right of the driver to endanger the lives of the passengers and other drivers" and "not at all I feel safe no matter what" are the only answers that are not against texting and driving). If you want people to agree with you so much that you set a poll so that gives people the choice of either agreeing with you or looking stupid, don't set up a poll at all.

Well the police wouldn't have put the hands free law into effect if it wasn't deemed to be a safety issue. Todays motorists are the worst drivers out there and it's only going to get worse since common sense isn't common anymore. Btw the poll was directed to texting while driving more then talking on the phone. I personally don't see talking on a cell phone any different then using the company handset. If anything, the cell phone is safer because it doesn't have a 3 foot cord that can get wrapped around the steering wheel. However, that being said doesn't make it right for the driver to be doing it as it looks very unprofessional and it is now against the law. The call or text can wait until the end of the line.

I was waiting to turn left from southbound Creditview to eastbound Bristol (in Mississauga) in the afternoon rush hour one day last week. I was watching a bus on Rt. 10 departing the stop on the west side of Bristol heading eastbound. When he accelerated it was at an incredibly slow pace and as he crossed in front of all of us waiting at the red southbound you could see he was fiddling with something, looking down the whole time. When I turned the corner I was able to catch up (as he had stopped at a stop) and he had a cell phone pressed to his ear. My first thought was disgust that someone who is supposedly a "professional driver" would actually do this but then I thought about how naive or just plain dumb he must be. I would think this type of thing would almost be an automatic no-no given what happened in Toronto. Does this guy really want to unleash a s***storm when someone challenges him or takes his picture?

And then there's a guy that I often see on Eglinton with what appears to iPod headphones on while he's driving. Again it seems incredible that anyone would have the nerve to do this given all the recent press.

I was on a bus the other day, sitting across from the driver when his cell phone rang. I thought he was going to let it go to voice mail when he picked it up and started talking. What's worse, he was making the same turn where just a few days ago a pedestrian was killed by a bus. I gasped when I saw him answer the phone and he gave ma a look as if to say "What's wrong with you, never see a cell phone before?"