City-specific transit tips and etiquette

Ed Drass

- Expect at least one person on your train or bus to play painfully painful music.

- Observe how the Place Nouveau signs at Finch Station is spelt wrong.

- If waiting for a VIVA blue at Finch Station on a weekend, and it displays 24 min, yet you see a bus on layover, subtract 15 mins from the waiting time.

- If a bus in the Spadina portion of the line never shows up, and you're going eastbound to the Yonge portion, take a subway to the next possible bus transfer eastbound. Preferably the 96/165 at Wilson Station.

For TTC, please do not block the aisle with your stroller. If by chance you happen to baord a high-floor bus use the middle section of the bus to store your stoller out of the walkway.

That's a big one for me. Better yet, don't try to squish yourself on an LF where a whole bunch of kids go on. I was on one bus that a stroller (happened twice) with kids from my school litterally at the door. My friend got squished whenever the doors opened. I was talking to a few friends say how the fat lady with the stroller should not be on this bus when a whole bunch of kids are going to school. It wasn't like she was going somewhere in the first place. An idea, wait 14 minutes for the next bus or go to VP to where ever you're going. She didn't even get off before we did. So she must be very VERY lazy by taking the long way.

-Don't *$ing push people away from you when you are exiting the train. I had one old idiot do that once to me. Heres the thing I have with old people. WHy do you think you can push people like me around if we didn't do anhything back. We give you respect, now its time to give that respect back. Or else, I'll just push you so hard, you'll be on the tracks before you know it.

That's a big one for me. Better yet, don't try to squish yourself on an LF where a whole bunch of kids go on. I was on one bus that a stroller (happened twice) with kids from my school litterally at the door. My friend got squished whenever the doors opened. I was talking to a few friends say how the fat lady with the stroller should not be on this bus when a whole bunch of kids are going to school. It wasn't like she was going somewhere in the first place. An idea, wait 14 minutes for the next bus or go to VP to where ever you're going. She didn't even get off before we did. So she must be very VERY lazy by taking the long way.

-Don't *$ing push people away from you when you are exiting the train. I had one old idiot do that once to me. Heres the thing I have with old people. WHy do you think you can push people like me around if we didn't do anhything back. We give you respect, now its time to give that respect back. Or else, I'll just push you so hard, you'll be on the tracks before you know it.

So now you're threatening seniors with assault? There's never any call for that.

So now you're threatening seniors with assault? There's never any call for that.

If they push me over more to the side when I'm KINDLY trying to let them out with a bunch of people behind me.. Then, they're asking for it. Now that isn't respect now is it..

If they push me over more to the side when I'm KINDLY trying to let them out with a bunch of people behind me.. Then, they're asking for it. Now that isn't respect now is it..

At that point, it's the situation itself that's asking for something: Patience and cool-headedness. Some kind of retribution may be tempting but no respect is earned around here by threatening someone else with harm, even if not intended seriously. -Ed

Oh, I see now. You think THEY are dissing YOU specifically because they may have accidentally brushed against you? You seem to have anger management issues.

Oh, I see now. You think THEY are dissing YOU specifically because they may have accidentally brushed against you? You seem to have anger management issues.

Oh no.. The guy actually elbowed me more towards the side of the door. Thats when I got ticked off. He didn't brush me.

EDIT: The old geezer who elbowed me was about 50-60.

- On the Lakeshore East Line heading Eastbound, the cab car usually has noone on. Board that one to get guaranteed seats.

- Unless you are disabled or a senior, it's better to get off at Kipling Station than Islington when boarding a MT bus subway bound.

- Let the kids have first dibs in the railfan seat. Your time will come some other day.

- Let the kids have first dibs in the railfan seat. Your time will come some other day.

I do it all the time. Whenever I'm in the railfan seat and kids come along, I let them have it. Don't let anyone (except the kids and guards) take the railfan seat when you're on it. Not the adult who has a mind of a child or the fat lady.