newflyerinvero

Detroit DOT

3 hours ago, map.man (Darrin) said:

These?

http://www.americanseating.com/transportation/products/insight-prime

Lots of complaints from passengers due to discomfort.

Similar.

New DDOT buses use Freedman Aries seats... same as the ones in @alisonc 's picture, only with neutral gray plastic rather than blue.

Years ago, DDOT (along with many other systems) had a problem with bed bugs infesting seat fabric. Though they've cleaned up dramatically, the public still perceives the fabric seats as "dirty". The shift to plastic seats actually came from overwhelming public request.

Personally, I don't feel strong one way or the other. I was hoping for padded vinyl seats -- a good middle ground. The plastic seats are a little harsh but they're bearable. I preferred the fabric -- I didn't find it dirty, it was slightly more comfortable and generally "warmer" -- but I acknowledge that the plastic seats "feel" cleaner.

15 minutes ago, Border City Transit said:

Similar.

New DDOT buses use Freedman Aries seats... same as the ones in @alisonc 's picture, only with neutral gray plastic rather than blue.

Years ago, DDOT (along with many other systems) had a problem with bed bugs infesting seat fabric. Though they've cleaned up dramatically, the public still perceives the fabric seats as "dirty". The shift to plastic seats actually came from overwhelming public request.

Personally, I don't feel strong one way or the other. I was hoping for padded vinyl seats -- a good middle ground. The plastic seats are a little harsh but they're bearable. I preferred the fabric -- I didn't find it dirty, it was slightly more comfortable and generally "warmer" -- but I acknowledge that the plastic seats "feel" cleaner.

Trust me when I say, I've heard horror stories about the fabric seats on the buses here.  Can someone say....ew?

The ones I had mentions are a hard resin material, and when a bus (even new ones) hit a substantial bump in the road, you feel it.

Broke my tailbone over the winter, and lucked out with getting a driver that actually requested a bus with padded seats so that I could bear the one + hour ride into Buffalo on the Thruway.

OK! Pleased to report that the brand new 1900-series New Flyer XD40 buses are now hitting the streets. At press time, about 6 units are on the prowl -- all currently out of Shoemaker division (Eastside routes). 25 total 40-foot units are due this year, plus 5 artics.

These sport a totally different paint scheme: much less gaudy than the "starburst" wrap seen on many other Xcelsiors, yet much more up-to-date than DDOT's old olive-and-yellow.

Reliable sources tell me that New Flyer missed a few little details. For example, the DDOT "paper clip" logo and the fleet number are supposed to be DARK green... not the medium green that almost disappears in the background. Hopefully they fix that. Nothing that $200 of decal work won't take care of.

There's a few other minor things I'd adjust. On the front: the three-section panel immediately below the windshield... it'd be cleaner if ALL THREE sections were white. Looks kind of out-of-sync how the wiper ports are white but the middle is green.

On the whole, though, these are the sharpest buses DDOT has deployed in recent times.

Enjoy!

DSCN0270.JPG

DSCN0274.JPG

DSCN0282.JPG

DSCN0314.JPG

DSCN0317.JPG

DSCN0324.JPG

DSCN0361.JPG

DSCN0420.JPG

DSCN0423.JPG

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Orion6025 said:

How many of the 2004-2005 D40LF are expected to make it after this delivery of XD40s? 

Not sure yet -- as there's some minor service expansion going on. The fleet is growing slowly but steadily.

I'd guess about 40-45 D40LFs will remain after this order. They are scattered 4100-4200 units; the 3900 units are all gone by now.

I'll snag a few pics. The "old" New Flyers in DDOT's fleet are plenty tired, but they're pretty reliable and I rather like riding them. They're spacious, solid and still sound good. It was DDOT's first major order with Cummins engines. I'll actually miss them when they finally retire.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/detroit-city/2019/07/29/federal-emissions-grant-detroit/39819881/?fbclid=IwAR0bw0dS-4DuqBGyrh-llwb_J4ZVMjFo7XRDHGnUwJndTpMLw4BMg9w0x6w

This explains why RPTC Bay 6 has been closed - it's most likely to install a charging station, as I read elsewhere that the 29 Linwood is to be run with electric buses in the future.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There are only 5 artics for 2019 (1960-1964), but they are out in force! At this point, it looks like they're all at Shoemaker -- they make frequent appearances on 4 Woodward, 6 Gratiot and sometimes 17 Eight Mile (which is split with Gilbert). I'm actually not sure if any artics are currently assigned to Gilbert -- though they badly need them for 3 Grand River.

In any case, here are some recent field captures:

1960 on the home stretch of its southbound trip. Notice the flock of other Xcelsiors approaching in the offing:

DET1960W.thumb.jpg.e1f224480e2c7fa260a60bfbbbf611dc.jpg

1960 again, after finishing the layover on Third and beginning its northbound trip:

DET1960G.thumb.jpg.3a6f42a83b4272e25b2ba9141293c632.jpg

1963 on northbound Woodward after a light rainfall:

DET1963F.thumb.jpg.c3cecd4656cf456fdeff78e446e3e567.jpg

A blurry encounter with 1964... but it accentuates the reflective decals that give these buses their very distinctive appearance -- even in a hurry, even in weak lighting:

DET1964R.thumb.jpg.88b8f04bf96d64950fa6d834647a57eb.jpg

Finally, improved bus stop signs are slated for new/adjusted routes in 2020 and beyond. Here's a new sign, in a new location, on a new route! A 2010 New Flyer D40LF is completing its trip in the background:

DETsign.thumb.jpg.f545fcc24d111f1164792517d66496d7.jpg

• Like 2