downbeat

From a news release:

http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/archive...6/03/c4302.html

STM announces a series of activities to mark the métro's 40th anniversary

- OCTOBER 14: FREE ACCESS TO THE INTEGRATED BUS/METRO NETWORK

- A WIDE-RANGING PROGRAM OF ACTIVITIES FOR TRANSIT USERS

- ART RETURNS TO THE METRO

- THE MUR DE LA PAIX (Wall of Peace)

MONTREAL, Oct. 3 /CNW Telbec/ - Claude Trudel, Chairman of the STM Board of Directors, and Yves Devin, STM Director General, today announced a slate of events to celebrate the 40th anniversary of the city's métro, which was officially inaugurated on October 14, 1966. They were accompanied by Montreal mayor Gérald Tremblay.

A distinctive signature has been created for the occasion, in order that the special festivities being planned for this important milestone will inspire pride and a sense of belonging. Starting today, the 65 métro stations, as well as the buses, will be decorated with this symbol.

To mark this significant anniversary, the STM has planned a series of activities, which will be held in the métro all through the week of October 9, for Montrealers' enjoyment.

A 30-minute concert will be held at Berri-UQAM métro station, on a specially-built stage, on each of the following days: On October 10, a gospel choir will lead the celebrations. The next day, the STM will host a vibrant and colourful performance by Chico Band, a group specializing in Latin music, who will be accompanied by two dancers. And on October 12, this top-flight musical program will conclude with an exclusive show presented by Dan Bigras and a group of subway musicians.

From October 12 to 30, STM customers will be invited to participate in the "40 Years of Our Métro" contest, at which 40 annual CAM monthly pass subscriptions will be given away as prizes.

On October 14, the STM will make available to all Montrealers a special commemorative book honouring the métro's 40th anniversary. This keepsake will be inserted into all of the city's major dailies.

In seeking to affirm Montreal's expansive scope and creative potential, the STM will implement a métro public art program, for which the inaugural project - to be installed this year - will feature art installation in a métro

car. The exhibit could take various forms, including special treatment of the car's interior surfaces, the placement of sculpture or the addition of sound.

Claude Trudel also announced that, on Saturday, October 14, the STM will allow Montrealers, on a one-time basis, to travel for free anywhere on the integrated bus/metro network beginning at 5:00 a.m. that morning - when the métro opens - until closing time that night, at 1:30 a.m. on October 15.

As it approaches its 40th anniversary of métro service in Montreal, the STM is strongly committed to anticipating future needs and working to improve transit in Montreal: "The realization of our major plans for the métro further exemplifies this commitment. Projects that are currently underway include the reconfiguration of our MR-73 cars and replacing the MR-63 cars," said Trudel.

"In working to achieve our objective of ensuring optimal quality of life for Montrealers and a sound future for our city, we must focus on mass transit, in particular the métro, as a growth vector for the 21st-century metropolis that Montreal has become today. As an essential feature of life in Montreal from both an economic and an environmental perspective, our métro - a key element of our technical and artistic heritage - is an instrument that denotes progress for both the Montreal community and the Quebec metropolis," declared Montreal mayor Gérald Tremblay.

Mayor Tremblay also took this opportunity to unveil a mock-up of the Mur de la paix, on which the word "peace" will be depicted in 34 languages. This piece of graphic art is intended to pay tribute to the cultural diversity embodied by the STM's clientele and to our community's collective values of tolerance and peace. The Mur de la paix will be installed at the Berri-UQAM station sometime in the next few months.

"We hope that the celebrations being planned for this event will be a source of many happy and pleasant memories for everyone. Without any further ado, let's move on to celebrate the métro's 40th anniversary together!" concluded Yves Devin, Director General of the STM.

I plan on getting a photo permit for the 14th.

Also, in the majority if not all of the metro stations, there are ads on the floor comemmorating the 40th anniversary of the metro. BRAVO, the O being the metrogram.

I plan on getting a photo permit for the 14th.

Also, in the majority if not all of the metro stations, there are ads on the floor comemmorating the 40th anniversary of the metro. BRAVO, the O being the metrogram.

How long can a STM photo permit last, is it only a day?

Yes most stations now have the floor wraps. I found a screw-up on two of them at Villa-Maria, the ones right after the turnstyles were put on facing the wrong direction. When you pass the turnstyles you'll have to turn around and read them! :)

STM photo permits are of definite duration. They don't necessarily have to be one day... but in this case and given the usual paranoia b.s., it's justified to take pictures on the 40th anniversary...

I'm not worried about photo taking especially when this is the best excuse if any to go around the metro taking photos like crazy!!

Photo permit... Plz.......... Can't be bothered, good luck if they even get back to u on time.

Plus the 14th falls on a Saturday anyway, like they'll even care about a few ppl taking pics. Or like they'll care at Berri-UQAM all week long next week since there will be concerts going on etc... I'm sure hundreds of people will want to take pics of the Wall Of Peace whenever that goes up and Berri-UQAM and im sure there not going to care. Also there will be a metro car in which some sort of art display will be incorpertated into it something that might include sound as well, and some sort of new or super clean interior, and im sure tons of people will be taking photos of that as well...

But what interests me the most is getting some of my family or friends who dont usual ride the metro or bus network to do so on the 14th since it will be free and im sure many ppl will be making a day out of it! Good time for all the out of towners to possibly come here for a visit on this day!! No day pass needed!! :D And I'm really looking forward in trying to win a year CAM subscription!! IT's unfortunate that some people will not even be able to participate in this for the people that have to buy TRAM's. Sort of unfair, but hey! If u dont live in Montreal and only pass thru! Then tooo bad for u!! :) This includes the west islanders unfortunatly if they only believe in taking the Train. But really if they were nice enough (or generous enough) they would offer at least a TRAM 3.

On the STM page for this anniversary, it says something like "On Oct. 14, be sure to ride the system for free and pick up your copy of the Gazette, Journal de Montreal or Lapresse." Does this mean they're giving out these 3 newspapers for free for this day? :D

A 40th anniversary wrap for the first MR63 set (81-501, 80-001, 81-502) would be a good idea, no? I feel not enough is being done to celebrate this milestone!

On the STM page for this anniversary, it says something like "On Oct. 14, be sure to ride the system for free and pick up your copy of the Gazette, Journal de Montreal or Lapresse." Does this mean they're giving out these 3 newspapers for free for this day? :)

A 40th anniversary wrap for the first MR63 set (81-501, 80-001, 81-502) would be a good idea, no? I feel not enough is being done to celebrate this milestone!

Sounds like u'll be getting free newspapers yes... Cause that's where they'll place the special booklet or book.

I can't seem to find it anywhere who will be supplying the booze for this milestone!! And where people can get it :D:P:P

Its an anniversary right!?? So where's the free Champagne and cake!???

IMO all of Berri-UQAM should be turned into one giant party on Saturday the 14th.

With free champagne and cake... and full of loud music, dancing, strobe lights and black lights. And there should be foam coming out of the middle circle meeting place on the top level near the turnstiles. And Metrovision can project it onto their screens so the people passing in the metro and people getting off can see :D:P Then again Metro dreams don't always come true ;)

I'm not worried about photo taking especially when this is the best excuse if any to go around the metro taking photos like crazy!!

Photo permit... Plz.......... Can't be bothered, good luck if they even get back to u on time.

I wish the surveillance agents shared your positive outlook, but I'm not taking any chances. Anyways, if you think this is big... wait for the 50th anny.

I suppose that the STM likes to celebrate anniversaries per multiple of five.

Sounds like u'll be getting free newspapers yes... Cause that's where they'll place the special booklet or book.

Excellent then!

I can't seem to find it anywhere who will be supplying the booze for this milestone!! And where people can get it :o:P:(

Or why not serve Coke or Pepsi? People of all ages can have that...:lol:

Will they be giving away free newspapers? It seems very unlikely for The Gazette to give out newspapers on a Saturday, and just for the insert of the metro. It's better if they just give out that booklet in the metro (not the newspaper) for free.

Or why not serve Coke or Pepsi? People of all ages can have that...:(

Thanks for thinking of me. :o

But if there's drinks there better be cake, and cake for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Despite what has been announced in the media for weeks now, there is no Metro 40th Anniversary insert in "all the newspapers". Only the French La Presse has it; nothing in the Gazette. Even the newsstand dealers were at a loss to explain why it was absent in English.

Gee, thanks, STM! I suppose we don't count--or pay fares like everyone else? What a slap in the face. ;)

The only "consolation" is that there's really nothing special about the insert anyway. I flipped through it and it looks like mostly advertising. Not the in-depth analysis I had hoped for.

Thanks again, STM! :)

Despite what has been announced in the media for weeks now, there is no Metro 40th Anniversary insert in "all the newspapers". Only the French La Presse has it; nothing in the Gazette. Even the newsstand dealers were at a loss to explain why it was absent in English.

Gee, thanks, STM! I suppose we don't count--or pay fares like everyone else? What a slap in the face. ;)

The only "consolation" is that there's really nothing special about the insert anyway. I flipped through it and it looks like mostly advertising. Not the in-depth analysis I had hoped for.

You can start by not blaming the STM!!!

They had no part in the distribution of this special insert. It was fully done by Sun Media Corp. and distributed in The Gazette, The journal de Montreal and La Presse.

I got my copy in my home delivered Gazette so it is in every newspaper. It may of been a problem at the printing plant where they forgot to insert this in the papers.

But I do have to agree, it's not what I expected!

You can start by not blaming the STM!!!

They had no part in the distribution of this special insert. It was fully done by Sun Media Corp. and distributed in The Gazette, The journal de Montreal and La Presse.

I got my copy in my home delivered Gazette so it is in every newspaper. It may of been a problem at the printing plant where they forgot to insert this in the papers.

But I do have to agree, it's not what I expected!

Are you telling me that only the home delivered Gazette has the Metro insert? How ridiculous is this? :)

Never before have I seen such an "oversight"--if that's what it is. Both the Multimags and Metro supermarket I visited had piles of Gazettes with no Metro insert, whereas their La Presse's did, thus I logically assumed this was to be the norm.

Even the online Gazette made no mention of the insert that I could find--unless it was buried somewhere in the fine print.

So much for a communication breakdown.

On an otherwise dreary, rainy 40th anniversary of the Metro, there was a fair-sized crowd on the Green Line today, but certainly no mob scene. Wonder what percentage of today's users were even here forty years ago!

Felt weird walking around turnstiles with no changeurs in their glass "cages", otherwise I saw no special events taking place. I believe there will be something going on at certain stations, however.

No commemorative souvenir tickets today, unfortunately, but you may want to hold on to your Metro transfer. Today's code: GA (Grand Anniversaire?!).

I still have some of the blue cardboard ones from 1966! :)

If anything buses and metros were more crowded by people who normally are too cheap to pay for transit. Anyways, I rode 81-682 from Place-D'Armes to Côte-Vertu and took a SRO 215 which accepted rear door loading.

If anything buses and metros were more crowded by people who normally are too cheap to pay for transit. Anyways, I rode 81-682 from Place-D'Armes to Côte-Vertu and took a SRO 215 which accepted rear door loading.

Makes me wonder with the crowds and crappy weather, can nasty head-colds be far behind? ;):)

If anything buses and metros were more crowded by people who normally are too cheap to pay for transit.

So that explains it! :)

But I did see a couple of cuts in the stickers over the card readers and transfer inputs, both at Snowdon. I saw quite a few people pondering and staring at these stickers, but not reading!! It took a couple of seconds but they finally figured it out, except one person at Snowdon. ;) It's unbelieveable how many people don't know what free means!

Forgot to mention:

At Henri-Bourassa they had guided tours of the Laval metro. But it was only for people who were invited, pretty much bus drivers and their families. The STM and the AMT had a couple of tents at HB for this.

Forgot to mention:

At Henri-Bourassa they had guided tours of the Laval metro. But it was only for people who were invited, pretty much bus drivers and their families. The STM and the AMT had a couple of tents at HB for this.

Oh! So that what all those people with those bracelts were. Lucky them! But I'd rather be on the first revenue service train to Laval :)

I also saw people confused at Cremazie Metro cuz the turnstiles were stickered shut, and one lady didn't know what do, so she asked the STM employee in the booth.

I found the metro and the 100 Cremazie bus to be relatively full compared to what one would normally experience on a Saturday afternoon. Perhaps today's free fare day to be a success!

(Quote) I saw quite a few people pondering and staring at these stickers, but not reading!! It took a couple of seconds but they finally figured it out, except one person at Snowdon. It's unbelieveable how many people don't know what free means! (Unquote)

Yes, indeed! And isn't is odd how many people have no clue after all the media publicity? Duh!

It's wonder some savvy homeless bums didn't try to pull a prank by standing next to changeurs cages and demand fares! Sh1t, they could have made a bundle today! :-)

Hey, buddy! Gimme yer spare change...okay, you can go through now. :-)

Gee, thanks, STM! I suppose we don't count--or pay fares like everyone else? What a slap in the face. :lol:

Oh really??? I got mine in the Journal de Montréal... go figure... :) I can ask my parents if they got theirs in the Gazette that they have delivered to thier doorstep for over 30 years now. I'll let you know tomorrow. Oh, I would have loved to experience the celebrations for our metro's 40th, but I had to go to a funeral, my best friend's father passed away. He was 75.

Well I got my copy of it in The Gazette :lol:

And we don't subscribe to The Gazette yet the booklet was inside The Gazette that was purchased at the store so i dunno, could have fallen out or somthing, it can happen. But whoever didn't get theirs in their Gazette i guess its just unlucky. :)