new.flyer.408

Today's Special Sightings

- 6422 still lives at Queensway on 52 Lawrence West earlier today.

- 7336 headed down to hillcrest with a yellow licence plate hanging off the rear bumper.

What time? 52 seems to be getting D40s more often now.

7909 on the 124 !!!!!!!!

;):oB)B)B) finally a break from those horrible 74-78xx!

Those poor saps at the hospital won't be able to sleep today. Ah well...........

- 7336 headed down to hillcrest with a yellow licence plate hanging off the rear bumper.

Woops. I forgot to mention that junk 6422 was on 52 today. I will let you guys know that there's a queensway run that keeps a getting D40HF everyday during weekdays. The driver I've spoke to when he had complains that he couldn't get his break or relief on time.

7909 on the 124 !!!!!!!!

B)B)B)B)B) finally a break from those horrible 74-78xx!

I honestly don't understand why you guys call the S50EGR slow buses. I find them pretty average buses. I've been on 7849 the other day and it was speeding up to a good 65km/h on the 17. Also a public transit bus isn't suppose to be fast on busy routes. Roughly 20-40km is require to run a bus on time.

I honestly don't understand why you guys call the S50EGR slow buses. I find them pretty average buses. I've been on 7849 the other day and it was speeding up to a good 65km/h on the 17. Also a public transit bus isn't suppose to be fast on busy routes. Roughly 20-40km is require to run a bus on time.

We're not saying they are slow as in their speed or top speed; we're saying it takes them forever to do the initial acceleration which is vital to public transit buses because it enables them to cross that yellow light in tight times. The rear door closing is also a big issue with this series of buses and coupled with the slow acceleration is enough for an operator to miss that yellow light over a hybrid bus that can make it over. Multiply that by a couple of yellow lights and you will be behind the schedule.

It's sad that the 96 Vs and D40LFs (which are older) can beat them in every way possible (minus loading/unloading on the steps). Heck, maybe the 91 Vs can beat them too.

We're not saying they are slow as in their speed or top speed; we're saying it takes them forever to do the initial acceleration which is vital to public transit buses because it enables them to cross that yellow light in tight times. The rear door closing is also a big issue with this series of buses and coupled with the slow acceleration is enough for an operator to miss that yellow light over a hybrid bus that can make it over. Multiply that by a couple of yellow lights and you will be behind the schedule.

It's sad that the 96 Vs and D40LFs (which are older) can beat them in every way possible (minus loading/unloading on the steps). Heck, maybe the 91 Vs can beat them too.

Some drivers hate the S50EGR VIIs so much, I've heard some Birchmount drivers say they would rather take a Classic over one of them.

im not saying its slow....i just hate the ride quality compared to the 79/80xx especially this weird squishy noise that comes from the engine all the time....drives me nuts on a stressful day.... B)

So it's just the rear doors that makes the bus go slow??

im not saying its slow....i just hate the ride quality compared to the 79/80xx especially this weird squishy noise that comes from the engine all the time....drives me nuts on a stressful day.... B)

It's because it has a different engine compare to the 7400-7881

Some drivers hate the S50EGR VIIs so much, I've heard some Birchmount drivers say they would rather take a Classic over one of them.

That is very true. SOME of the S50's don't seem too bad, but some are so slow that they are a danger on the road. In fact we recently had a bulleton posted at Birchmount from head office commenting on the slow acceleration of the S50's, mostly with the A/C running. The bulleton basically said that it is normal for diesel engines to lose power in hot weather and that us operators need to take special care because of the slow acelleration. And yes, I have driven certain Classics that are almost as fast as the '91 V's. Just being able to get the back doors closed and cross the intersection can make a HUGE difference. Yesterday I had 6673 on Warden. Because I have been doing Don Mills for over 6 months I have not driven a V in a while. WOW, was that ever a treat. The V's are really like sports cars compared to the sluggish S50's.

8 Broadview bus was displaying the " today is election day - remember it's up to you to vote"

PR today

Saw TTC 1101 with that sign as well. Didn't see any others with it at York though. :mellow

7336 headed down to hillcrest with a yellow licence plate hanging off the rear bumper

'In-Transit' plate. B)

TTC 5606 lead car on H4 Subway train this morning Eastbound at Keele Displaying Wilson on it's roll sign.

That is very true. SOME of the S50's don't seem too bad, but some are so slow that they are a danger on the road. In fact we recently had a bulleton posted at Birchmount from head office commenting on the slow acceleration of the S50's, mostly with the A/C running. The bulleton basically said that it is normal for diesel engines to lose power in hot weather and that us operators need to take special care because of the slow acelleration. And yes, I have driven certain Classics that are almost as fast as the '91 V's. Just being able to get the back doors closed and cross the intersection can make a HUGE difference. Yesterday I had 6673 on Warden. Because I have been doing Don Mills for over 6 months I have not driven a V in a while. WOW, was that ever a treat. The V's are really like sports cars compared to the sluggish S50's.

Thanks for backing!

To Redhead:

In an ideal sense, I don't care if a bus is slow or not but the 03-05 VIIs are a double bad because they have that horrible slow rear doors coupled to the super slow accelerating engine. That's a double negative and it doesn't make a positive!

Don't know why but even Oakville's VIIs with ISC are faster than them even though the ISC is a smaller engine.

Thanks for backing!

To Redhead:

In an ideal sense, I don't care if a bus is slow or not but the 03-05 VIIs are a double bad because they have that horrible slow rear doors coupled to the super slow accelerating engine. That's a double negative and it doesn't make a positive!

Don't know why but even Oakville's VIIs with ISC are faster than them even though the ISC is a smaller engine.

Okay. Maybe i need to ride on those S50EGR's more often because maybe i'm catching only the good ones so far. Most of the time I ride on buses in any division but eglinton and birchmount.

Okay. Maybe i need to ride on those S50EGR's more often because maybe i'm catching only the good ones so far. Most of the time I ride on buses in any division but eglinton and birchmount.

Birchmount and Eglinton are where you will find like 95% of the S50 EGR's. Also when you hear the S50 (7400-7881) acclerate and also hear the loud roar of the engine fan, thats a good indication that that bus is slower. It seems that the fan takes some horsepower. Maybe TTCMech can confirm this??? It always seems the buses I get are usually slower with the loud fans. And they are not all like that. Some fans seem to roar A LOT louder.

Also when you hear the S50 (7400-7881) acclerate and also hear the loud roar of the engine fan, thats a good indication that that bus is slower. It seems that the fan takes some horsepower. Maybe TTCMech can confirm this??? It always seems the buses I get are usually slower with the loud fans. And they are not all like that. Some fans seem to roar A LOT louder.

I think of inefficiency whenever i hear that loud fan.

The ISC-equipped buses are only faster right off of the line because Cummins at that time were not as close to the emissions threshold as Detroit Diesel was. Once above 10 or 15 km/h, the emissions control systems shut down and the bus is able to accelerate at its normal rate.

Dan

9410 and 9426 are at Queensway this evening. Spotted another 94xx iirc 9411 nis on Kipling Southbound at Bloor around 8pm.

:D, They better not be moving there :D. 9410 might have been a change-off from 32, I heard it was on 32 today.