Today's Special Sightings

I really think they should give the 85J a new route number. Maybe 185. Those early 85 trips that runs from Sheppard-Yonge to Meadowvale could be signed 85C/185.

Same with the internal 36B branch from Finch West to Finch Station. While the 36A branch is signed 36B westbound to Humberwood when it doesn't even operate on the internal 36B branch. The combined 36A/36B branch (the old 36A before TYSSE opened) is internally know was 36J.

Then there is the 97F which they could just revive the 197 Yonge North.

51 minutes ago, Xtrazsteve said:

I really think they should give the 85J a new route number. Maybe 185. Those early 85 trips that runs from Sheppard-Yonge to Meadowvale could be signed 85C/185.

Same with the internal 36B branch from Finch West to Finch Station. While the 36A branch is signed 36B westbound to Humberwood when it doesn't even operate on the internal 36B branch. The combined 36A/36B branch (the old 36A before TYSSE opened) is internally know was 36J.

The challenge is that if someone is familiar with the route number of a major street, they would most likely look for the specific branch letter. Though I do know where you are coming form especially if there are so many branches for x route that it can be complex to understand how far which one goes. Pending which destination they are looking to go.

Remembering how 96 Wilson had several different branches before some were reallocated to different route numbers.

96A: York Mills Station - Carrier via Kipling and John Garland

96B: York Mills Station - Humberline and Albion Road

96C: Wilson Station - Thistledown Boulevard (replaced by Route 118)

96D: York Mills Station - Carrier and Westmore via Kipling and John Garland

96E: Wilson Express between York Mills and Humber College (replaced by 996 Wilson Express)

96H: Wilson Station - Torbarrie (replaced by Route 119)

52 Lawrence West is also another one that has multiple branches covering different geographical points. Especially when some only run in certain time periods too. 

20 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

They can't give the 85J a new route number and keep another branch of the 85 for when there's through service. That would lead to having 2 routes operating along the same road, and give the impression that someone can skip the "185" bus and an 85 with through service will be along shortly. Given that the 85J is operating for like 95% or more of the service day, that would potentially cause more issues than would be solved by splitting it off to a different route. If you went a different route by splitting the 85J into the 185 and interlining during the early morning/late evening (85 <-> 185), that could also cause confusion if people wanting to go through Don Mills Station get off the bus, thinking they need to transfer to another vehicle.

I live along the 85 route, and it's never been an issue that I've seen. People know which bus they need to take, and the signs are clearly identified with which direction the bus is going in.

As for the 36... that's just someone screwing up. As mentioned above, the Humberwood branch used to be signed as 36A before the signage was switched to 36B around the time of the TYSSE opening for unknown reasons, but it was changed only in the westbound direction. The branches are signed inconsistently from what they're supposed to be, and that's got nothing to do with whether the route should be split off or not.

McNicoll had a few rads out and about yesterday.

3294 was out on the 104 Faywood for a bit

3278 was drafted to the 61 Avenue Rd North (I thought my phone would cooperate when I took the pic. I definitely thought wrong lol) 

D17ED3F0-ABE5-4ACE-A512-D48B0BE6B2C0.thumb.jpeg.2935e21ae64bf9ecda0a1d0cbc43874a.jpeg

Spotted TTC Orion V 9411 in Markham the other day in operation. It is still in full TTC colours minus the logos. Yea I had to rub my eyes to wake myself up.

It was followed by a D40LF in ghost scheme. It had 5 digits. Ex barrie?

Yes I snapped a pic. Needs a new paint job.

• Like 1

On 5/29/2021 at 3:50 AM, bus_7246 said:

McNicoll had a few rads out and about yesterday.

3294 was out on the 104 Faywood for a bit

3278 was drafted to the 61 Avenue Rd North (I thought my phone would cooperate when I took the pic. I definitely thought wrong lol) 

D17ED3F0-ABE5-4ACE-A512-D48B0BE6B2C0.thumb.jpeg.2935e21ae64bf9ecda0a1d0cbc43874a.jpeg

61nortown.thumb.png.82357cbc4b653b5d3acf45657e59c168.png

I fixed it up for you.  It's a nice photo with great lighting.  The bus isn't underexposed and the trees and the sky above it stand out beautifully so the phone did a nice job apart from taking it upside down and images can always be rotated after the fact...

42 minutes ago, Wayside Observer said:

61nortown.thumb.png.82357cbc4b653b5d3acf45657e59c168.png

I fixed it up for you.  It's a nice photo with great lighting.  The bus isn't underexposed and the trees and the sky above it stand out beautifully so the phone did a nice job apart from taking it upside down and images can always be rotated after the fact...

The funny thing is that I can’t tell how the mobile site loads the pics that I take lol. 

Back to the topic, a lucky Birchmount rad made its way out to the airport this afternoon. I spotted 8561 westbound on the 52A Lawrence West @ Dufferin at 3:30p

2 hours ago, York Transit said:

Spotted TTC Orion V 9411 in Markham the other day in operation. It is still in full TTC colours minus the logos. Yea I had to rub my eyes to wake myself up.

I apparently know the person who owns those buses, the ghost livery D40LF is ex-Barrie 66904 and you're right, it does need a new paint job (although it has LED headlights)

Edit: Picture of the D40LF attached when I spotted it on its own a few weeks ago

170640158_20210516_1500571.thumb.jpg.3d7668f399709cf1b898b9b9ad5341d7.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, York Transit said:

Could you post your pics pls?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1