Today's Special Sightings

On 9/28/2019 at 7:59 AM, Articulated said:

Uhh, 506 doesn't enter Scarborough... no streetcar lines do.

Depending on exactly where the boundary lies on Victoria Park, the right hand rail of the track on Vic Park heading to Bingham loop may be in Scarborough.

23 hours ago, Joshuamumble said:

My bad, East York (I'm not very good with the old city limits)

Not East York either. The only east end streetcar loop I know of that was ever not within City of Toronto municipal limits was Birchmount loop. Luttrell loop was the east end of the Bloor carline because east of there, the boundary between Toronto and East York dipped south of Danforth (I think along the railway line. South of that EW portion, Victoria Park was the boundary....well down to Kingston Rd. anyway.

Back in the old days, it was easy to tell because the City of Toronto used incandescent streetlights and its old-style street name signs. You can still see places where the old-style globe streetlights (with bluish metal halide bulbs) change to sodium vapour, sometimes mid-block. That's where the boundary was.

3 hours ago, Ed T. said:

Depending on exactly where the boundary lies on Victoria Park, the right hand rail of the track on Vic Park heading to Bingham loop may be in Scarborough.

Not East York either. The only east end streetcar loop I know of that was ever not within City of Toronto municipal limits was Birchmount loop. Luttrell loop was the east end of the Bloor carline because east of there, the boundary between Toronto and East York dipped south of Danforth (I think along the railway line. South of that EW portion, Victoria Park was the boundary....well down to Kingston Rd. anyway.

Back in the old days, it was easy to tell because the City of Toronto used incandescent streetlights and its old-style street name signs. You can still see places where the old-style globe streetlights (with bluish metal halide bulbs) change to sodium vapour, sometimes mid-block. That's where the boundary was.

Here's the boundary from Google Maps. The area near Danforth and Main is weird. Who came up with that border? lol

Untitled.thumb.jpg.b30282ae6d273fbc175418a69b117d63.jpg

3 hours ago, Orion V said:

Here's the boundary from Google Maps. The area near Danforth and Main is weird. Who came up with that border? lol

That google map is not really correct.

This may not be 100%, but it's definitely closer. I know that the boundary north of Danforth was never just a straight line from the Don River, and also that once it dipped south of Danforth east of Luttrell, it never went up as far as the Danforth again.

And if he's drawn the boundaries accurately, the tracks on Victoria Park are safely within the old City of Toronto.

https://theintrepid.blogspot.com/2013/08/map-city-of-toronto-and-borrough-borders.html

• Like 1

On 9/29/2019 at 1:02 PM, Orion V said:

That border was probably because of the prohibition of alcohol consumption in restaurants in East York back in the day

Don't get started with the former City of York's borders... it's funny how the North York-York border splits through Mount Dennis garage

• Confused 1