Today's Special Sightings

6 hours ago, H4 5600 said:

Today at 7:25 pm I saw LFS 8511 NIS turning from NB kipling to EB Dixon. I don't know what it was doing there.

It's absolutely not a special sighting. Go back tomorrow and you'll see more LFSes passing by there at that time. The 46/191 deadheads on Kipling. Most take Dixon but some do take The Westway to Royal York. Then up St Philips (Royal York north of Dixon) to Weston, north on Weston to Sheppard, east to Arrow and up to the garage. The reverse is true for trips starting at Kipling Station. Sometimes a 191 might take Islington and Dundas instead. 

The 46 SB school trip (a 191 run) would take Dixon to Martin Grove and head down to Eglinton to start that trip. Seeing a NIS LFS on Dixon is not rare at all. 

2 hours ago, TDE said:

TT9C:

Birchmount and Eglinton units accompany 9070 and 9073 on the 22 right now for the surge to Ashbridges Bay fireworks.

Malvern sent out 5 artics that served the 92 before the fireworks. Then they are run up Coxwell afterwards. I expect artic dispatches to become the norm for special events and shuttle buses.

9 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

Malvern sent out 5 artics that served the 92 before the fireworks. Then they are run up Coxwell afterwards. I expect artic dispatches to become the norm for special events and shuttle buses.

Those would be 9070 9078 and 9080 as well. It's either these 

22 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

Its always been the norm even back when they had the Orion IIIs

27 minutes ago, FlyerD901 said:

Its always been the norm even back when they had the Orion IIIs

But it's the first time they did this with LFS artics on the 92/22 for fireworks. The done it with the 101 before. I don't know why they didn't think of this earlier. They only began artic shuttle buses this year. 

TTC

The following TR sets are in the west end of the BD line because of the fire at Yonge-Bloor:

548x, 591x, 593x, 597x & two more sets. 6 TR sets are supplementing the 3 T1 sets on the west end of the BD, as per Brad Ross.

• Like 2

Keele yard is still having work done to it to make it operational. I heard rumors that it was suppose to be open before Pan Ames, but we all know that's not the case. I went by there a few weeks ago, and work is still ongoing. I was saying if it was open it wuld have helped in a situation like what happen today with an extra 6 trainsets.

7 minutes ago, leylandvictory2 said:

yes but i thought keele yard is closed at the moment.

Not sure if this is special at all, since I have not ridden buses very much lately, but today I rode bus 1682 on 51 Leslie and noticed that it still did not have the blue seats installed. It's been a very long time since I've last seen a bus without blue seats. I thought the whole fleet has been retrofitted by now.

On June 9, 2016 at 0:53 PM, ttc rider said:

Not sure if this is special at all, since I have not ridden buses very much lately, but today I rode bus 1682 on 51 Leslie and noticed that it still did not have the blue seats installed. It's been a very long time since I've last seen a bus without blue seats. I thought the whole fleet has been retrofitted by now.

1682 sat at Arrow for a few months before it was moved to Wilson where it was fixed and put back into service. At that time, many of Arrow's buses didn't have any blue seats. 1213 and 1538, and a few 1400s (formerly from Arrow) also didn't have them when they were moved to Mount Dennis. 

• Like 1

I'd consider the artic shuttles special, since we haven't had a significant number of them at all before this closure. The last closure we had any artics at all, we had only two.

I recorded the following artic buses during this morning's closure shift (7:30am-5pm). 19 buses were spotted before 2pm, which is around the time they send out new batches of buses:

9065 9070 9074 9077 9079 9085 9089 9094 9101 9102 9104 9111 9118 9123 9126 9128 9129 9141 9144

17 new buses were spotted after 2pm, in addition to some of the buses from above (but I didn't keep track):

9056 9057 9104 9106 9108 9110 9116 9117 9131 9136 9138 9142 9143 9148 9150 9151 9152

So roughly half the buses this closure were artics, which made the flow of passengers a lot better than I expected it to be. This is a significant improvement from previous closures.

Some artics (around 7) actually made it out last Saturday night. There were at least 15 of them in the May closure between Bathurst and Keele. That was for both Saturday and Sunday. There were more this time since Malvern actually provided buses this time oppose to the May closure. Wilson however didn't supply any buses unlike in May. Queensway didn't supply any bus for this closure either.

Even if Wilson did the shuttle, Wilson wouldn't be able to provide a large amount as their artics are always out on weekends for the 29. Their artics must have at least 30% higher mileage than Malvern artics.

----

Also note that University Line shuttles don't need artics as their loading is no where near BD levels. I always seen half empty shuttle on Bathrust oppose to fully packed artics on BD.

10 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

Also note that University Line shuttles don't need artics as their loading is no where near BD levels. I always seen half empty shuttle on Bathrust oppose to fully packed artics on BD.

I agree; BD is much heavier. The Yonge line closures in November could really use some though.