Milton Transit

ORION

The figures that say the town subsidizes 10 dollars for every ride taken. That is very high price for the town to have to pay. However, since the ridership is increasing the way it is I think they should bite the bullet for now. It doesn't send a strong message to take transit if they cut the service.

As the ridership goes up, the revenue increases, and the subsidy per ride goes down. I can understand cutting service if the system is losing riders - that's just normal - but drastically cutting transit service in the face of skyrocketing ridership is just downright bizarre. And ultimately self-defeating in terms of increasing efficiency, because if the ridership is driven away, the town will have to subsidize transit even more...

It's sad because Milton probably has the fastest growing transit ridership in Canada right, if not North America. But major service cuts to growing transit systems with record ridership levels is an all too familiar story in Ontario this year (Ottawa, Toronto, York Region, Oakville). Sad.

Transit in Ontario: Where more customers results in less service

As the ridership goes up, the revenue increases, and the subsidy per ride goes down. I can understand cutting service if the system is losing riders - that's just normal - but drastically cutting transit service in the face of skyrocketing ridership is just downright bizarre. And ultimately self-defeating in terms of increasing efficiency, because if the ridership is driven away, the town will have to subsidize transit even more...

It's sad because Milton probably has the fastest growing transit ridership in Canada right, if not North America. But major service cuts to growing transit systems with record ridership levels is an all too familiar story in Ontario this year (Ottawa, Toronto, York Region, Oakville). Sad.

Transit in Ontario: Where more customers results in less service

If they just brought back the 30min time table and don't make cut's to 1 WOODWARD then I will be fine. just lets hope that would happen in the summer

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

According to the minutes of the December 19, 2011 council meeting , the town approved the purchase of three transit buses from NFI at a cost of $1,228,051.80 plus HST. These appear to be expansion buses, not replacements, as they are funded by the 2012 Capital Transit Bus Growth program. The buses are a bit early as delivery was forecast for 2012 Q3.

Council Minutes: http://www.milton.ca/MeetingDocuments/Council/minutes2011/CL_December_19_2011.pdf

Report: http://www.milton.ca/MeetingDocuments/Council/agendas2011/rpts2011/CORS-088-11%20Joint%20Procurement%202012%20Bus%20Purchase.pdf

The outlet mall at Trafalgar and 401 just broke ground with an opening date of next summer. I know it's technically in Halton Hills, but given the potential demand could Milton Transit offer some sort of service here? The only other agency that could offer service would be GO on their 401 routes from Milton. It'd be a big stretch for MiWay to offer service, but it could if the demand warranted it. Halton Hills is still probably years away from getting its own transit service.

The outlet mall at Trafalgar and 401 just broke ground with an opening date of next summer. I know it's technically in Halton Hills, but given the potential demand could Milton Transit offer some sort of service here? The only other agency that could offer service would be GO on their 401 routes from Milton. It'd be a big stretch for MiWay to offer service, but it could if the demand warranted it. Halton Hills is still probably years away from getting its own transit service.

You might be seeing shuttle buses provided from the Outlet Mall.

Maybe a shuttle bus from Milton Go station or even maybe a stop in Mississauga?

If the mall doesn't provide the service would Milton Transit? GO on the other hand could add weekend service to Lisgar and then run an extension to the mall. It's a bit of a detour for the local Milton service. Don't know how they feel about adding another stop on the Mississauga-Kitchener service.

If the mall doesn't provide the service would Milton Transit? GO on the other hand could add weekend service to Lisgar and then run an extension to the mall. It's a bit of a detour for the local Milton service. Don't know how they feel about adding another stop on the Mississauga-Kitchener service.

It may work, although they do service to Cambridge SmartCentre already.

• 2 months later...

I'm planning a small trip to Milton. Does anyone know what street the Milton Transit terminal is and the garage? Also how are the drivers when it comes to pics? Thanks!

Pic attached from yesterday

The main hub is the Milton GO station, every route meets here. Check Milton Transit's website for schedules.