Milton Transit

ORION

Was told that MTB's "Milton Transit" Orion VI #0805 will be cleared for service starting on Monday. This doesn't mean the bus will be out Monday Morning. It is to be used as an emergency back up bus should one of the other units break down (which is common).

I'm sure it will go out. If I remember correctly, on Friday Milton was down to 3 buses.

If anyone's interested in the Strategic Plan for Transit Services from this week's Public Information Centre, the information is available here. Here's the presentation material if you'd rather just jump to that.

The draft of the Strategic Plan is available. It's nearly 200 pages long. Among some of the proposed service changes include adding GO Trains stations at Trafalgar and Tremaine as well as providing service to a carpool lot at Martin and 401 for connecting service westward to Guelph and KW.

The draft of the Strategic Plan is available. It's nearly 200 pages long. Among some of the proposed service changes include adding GO Trains stations at Trafalgar and Tremaine as well as providing service to a carpool lot at Martin and 401 for connecting service westward to Guelph and KW.

It looks like Milton will finally get weekend bus service.

• Root Admin
Was told that MTB's "Milton Transit" Orion VI #0805 will be cleared for service starting on Monday. This doesn't mean the bus will be out Monday Morning. It is to be used as an emergency back up bus should one of the other units break down (which is common).

MILTON9901.jpg

#0805 has been renumbered to #9901. This bus is not owned by the Town of Milton, purchased from MTB from what I was told at OTE 2009 this afternoon. Looks like now it could be used whenever. Because this bus was a demonstrator, it only has 24,000km, which is still relatively new! Also there are 3 or 4 New Flyer D40LFs on their way to Milton this year as part of the consortium order. Still trying to get a confirmation about any eldorados or not.

Even though its VI, it looks good. One question though, I thought that the VI's could NOT be converted from CNG to diesel, hence why the TTC offed theirs...

it could , it just the wheelchair spots would have to be moved on the bus and TTC didnt want too (more that they just wanted the VI's gone)

Even though its VI, it looks good. One question though, I thought that the VI's could NOT be converted from CNG to diesel, hence why the TTC offed theirs...

anything's possible if you're willing to spend the cash.

ttc didn't consider it cost effective.

So, is this the former demo (the purple people eater...) i.e. this thing:

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t16/bay...emoLondonON.jpg

Or the demo that ran around as London Transit 10 for a while? (slide scanner packed away or I'd share an image....). Or are all three the same beast?

Or, conversely, what happened to them?

I'm quite sure the one that ran with London as 10 went to Ride-On in the US along with the TTC-spec'd one. The purple one is a three door, while Milton's is a two door. Milton's used to be a demo powered by CNG.

I'm quite sure the one that ran with London as 10 went to Ride-On in the US along with the TTC-spec'd one. The purple one is a three door, while Milton's is a two door. Milton's used to be a demo powered by CNG.

So there were 4 demos?

- 3-door purple thing

- LTC 10

- the TTC one (too lazy to look up the number...)

- now MT 9901

So what happened to the three-door (original?) demo? And does anyone have pics of the MT 9901 as a OBI demo?

So there were 4 demos?

- 3-door purple thing

- LTC 10

- the TTC one (too lazy to look up the number...)

- now MT 9901

So what happened to the three-door (original?) demo? And does anyone have pics of the MT 9901 as a OBI demo?

As far as I recall, there are at least six:

* 3 door purple diesel (is this a 1993?)

* 3 axle HEV

* 3 door HEV

* TTC 2000 CNG

* LTC 10 CNG

* MT 9901 Ex-Orion CNG Demo

• Root Admin
As far as I recall, there are at least six:

* 3 door purple diesel (is this a 1993?)

* 3 axle HEV

* 3 door HEV

* TTC 2000 CNG

* LTC 10 CNG

* MT 9901 Ex-Orion CNG Demo

Orion introduced the concept phase of the Orion VI low floor bus program in 1991. Prototypes were completed in 1993 and debuted at APTA '93. They had various different configurations (Diesel, CNG, Hybrid). There were 3 Orion VIs built for demonstration/prototype with 3 doors. The Orion VI Hybrid was introduced in 1995. Another 4 were produced as demonstrators (TTC 2000, London 10 - Both went to Ride-On as "demonstrator test buses" and were later purchased). Milton #9901 is ex-CNG demonstrator. This unit only has about 24 thousand km's when I saw it last week. Its basically brand new from what I hear from our Oakville drivers who have driven it so far. I haven't had a chance yet, but I'm sure it will come soon enough.

Another unit was used as a demonstrator, which was a diesel, and ran for YRT back in 2003 for a short period. This unit is now in St. John, NB and I believe it is not active. There was another Diesel demonstrator built in 1994 with front and middle exit door. Not sure what happened to this unit.

The only hybrid Orion VIs that were in "production" were for Torrance Transit in California , MUNI (San Francisco) had a couple hybrids (I think stored) as well as Boston and New York.

I'll have to dig up my other info on the demonstrators built.

Here is Milton #9901 when it was still an Orion Demonstrator

orion6CNG1.jpgorion6CNG2.jpg

Here it is, after being purchased and refurbished by MTB.

MTBorion6a.jpgMTBorion6b.jpg

And here it is owned by the Town of Milton, purchased from MTB. Note that this unit only has one wheelchair position. and push bar rear operated doors.

milton9901a.jpgmilton9901b.jpg

milton9901c.jpgmilton9901d.jpg

• 2 months later...

It was either a month or more so ago when the mayor of Milton declared that if the ridership levels drop even further, then Milton Transit would be scrapped completely. Unfortunetely, there was an article in their local newspaper back then but I can't find it.

Has anyone heard of anything new or any improvements going on with ridership to the point where they can actually operate their system?

• 3 weeks later...
One of Milton Transit's Blue Bird received a bike rack, but it is still not in use untill they get a permit.

0804 would be the one, as well 0802 which was at SN diesel right now.

Had a chance to ride 9901, interesting. Orion may have done testing using the Meritor axle as they were stop using the ZF due to high maintenance cost.

One of Milton Transit's Blue Bird received a bike rack, but it is still not in use untill they get a permit.

So what happens if I go to Milton and throw my bike on the rack ?? is the bus driver actually going to stop me ?

So what happens if I go to Milton and throw my bike on the rack ?? is the bus driver actually going to stop me ?

Sometimes the rack is "locked out" with a zip tie preventing it from being lowered. At GO, although most of our fleet was fitted with bicycle racks, we were instructed not to use them until the official launch, so yes, the Driver may say something about it.

Sometimes the rack is "locked out" with a zip tie preventing it from being lowered. At GO, although most of our fleet was fitted with bicycle racks, we were instructed not to use them until the official launch, so yes, the Driver may say something about it.

That's what happen in Brampton when they received their bike racks when new, they use zip ties to lock it.