urbanfan89

Fantasy GTA transit maps!

Thanks for the replies. :P

I've been making this for a few months, so I'm glad it isn't dismissed as fantasy.

There are a few things I'm not so sure about:

1) The LRT link between Scarborough and Pickering

2) Maybe something between Morningside and Cornell to create a giant loop around the GTA

3) LRT might go deeper into Oakville in the future

4) I'm undecided on whether there should be a Queen Subway, but my plan to greatly expand the streetcar network may negate this need for a long time

5) Not sure whether a direct GO rail link to Terminal 1 at Pearson is necessary since my plan calls for the cable car to extend to Malton

Also I still have more to come:

Metrolinx should take on duties like Translink does in Vancouver, and assume control of important roads. I will draw out the roads it will control.

An Ontario-wide rail company would be created to improve rail services in the province. Also, the proposed high speed rail lines will also be drawn out.

Who asked you?

What, you really thought that your remark was going to be left unaddressed? Oh, the naivete!

I'll say whatever I feel like saying.

Dear Mr. Self-appointed forum jester,

First of all, I'll address the most common misconception in regards to free speech, that you can say whatever you want because you "feel like it". You can't say whatever you feel like saying without risking any remaining respect or tolerance that anyone might have had for you.

If taking cheap shots is your thing- please do remind yourself that this isn't the place to do so, and if you continue to do so, you are doing a disservice to all forum members, and therefore you are unwelcome here. You can only boost your ego at the expense of others for so long.

If this is some kind of silly joke, don't waste our bandwith or our time. This forum would be much more of a joy to read if it wasn't for people like you spoiling it for everyone else.

If you still have the audacity to reply with your usual cheap shots and personal remarks even after reading this, I would feel extremely sorry for you that you cannot understand something so simple, as I put much effort in ensuring that the message is as clear and simple as it can be.

If you have the slightest bit of decency still left in you, then you will acknowledge your wrongdoings and apologize.

What, you really thought that your remark was going to be left unaddressed? Oh, the naivete!

Dear Mr. Self-appointed forum jester,

First of all, I'll address the most common misconception in regards to free speech, that you can say whatever you want because you "feel like it". You can't say whatever you feel like saying without risking any remaining respect or tolerance that anyone might have had for you.

If taking cheap shots is your thing- please do remind yourself that this isn't the place to do so, and if you continue to do so, you are doing a disservice to all forum members, and therefore you are unwelcome here. You can only boost your ego at the expense of others for so long.

If this is some kind of silly joke, don't waste our bandwith or our time. This forum would be much more of a joy to read if it wasn't for people like you spoiling it for everyone else.

If you still have the audacity to reply with your usual cheap shots and personal remarks even after reading this, I would feel extremely sorry for you that you cannot understand something so simple, as I put much effort in ensuring that the message is as clear and simple as it can be.

If you have the slightest bit of decency still left in you, then you will acknowledge your wrongdoings and apologize.

LOL

buddy,

get over yourself, it's the internet.

If I were to apologize, then I'd be regretting what I said, and that's something I don't do. The fact is that the world is a harsh place, so here's my advice, GET USED TO IT!

You may save yourself a heart attack or stroke one day.

I'm sooooooooooooooooo hurt.

*runs to mommy crying*

Do you even contribute anything to this forum besides nonconstructive criticism of people and your childish behavior?

Everybody ignore the troll and keep talking about the fantasy maps.

If there is another outburst from this point on, admin reserves the right to do the following: all irrelevant sentences/posts will be edited or deleted and suspensions if not bans will be meted out accordingly. We promise.

SMS

Admin

Everybody ignore the troll and keep talking about the fantasy maps.

If there is another outburst from this point on, admin reserves the right to do the following: all irrelevant sentences/posts will be edited or deleted and suspensions if not bans will be meted out accordingly. We promise.

SMS

Admin

Thank you.

If you knew anything about maps, then you should know that the name should reflect what is on the map.

When someone hears, or reads "Greater Toronto"

And where exactly on my map did it say "Greater Toronto"? Seriously.

My map said "Toronto and Area". And believe it or not, Mississauga, Brampton, York Region are not located within the boundaries of Toronto.

Even "Greater Toronto" is subjective. The only terms that have clearly defined boundaries are:

- Toronto Census Metropolitan Area

- Greater Toronto Area

- Golden Horsehoe

- Greater Golden Horsehoe

Again, you people prove that you know nothing.

I just looked at my map again, I realized I had included the Highway 2 LRT after after all! - labeled as route 53. So you can't even say that any rail line has been excluded. The map depicts no less than 6 "regional" rail lines into Durham Region plus one LRT line, and someone from Durham still complains. Unbelievable. So honestly I am quite appalled and disappointed by the extreme negative reactions that I am seeing here. I don't know what else to say. i don't even live in Toronto, I live in the 905 as well...

So honestly I am quite appalled and disappointed by the extreme negative reactions that I am seeing here. I don't know what else to say. i don't even live in Toronto, I live in the 905 as well...

I absolutely love your map. I appreciate all of the detail and the overall professionality of the map, especially when it comes to appearance. It appears that you have spent a considerable amount of time on it.

I finally dl'ed Google Earth on my work computer, and looked at the map. Not too shabby. But you are missing a lot in Peel Region. There are plans for BRT in Brampton, and The Mississauga Transitway is missing.

Scratch that.. I see the lines..

The map is actually really good. You chose routes and modes that makes sense, in my opinion. However, I think you need to use a better colour scheme though. The scheme you are using doesn't properly reflect the modes in question. Also some of the lines are tough to see. In my opinion, the thickness of the rail lines should be one size, BRT, another size, and Bus Priority lanes another size.. And using a brighter colour schemes will really show the lines.

Beyond that, good start.

I finally dl'ed Google Earth on my work computer, and looked at the map. Not too shabby. But you are missing a lot in Peel Region. There are plans for BRT in Brampton, and The Mississauga Transitway is missing.

Scratch that.. I see the lines..

The map is actually really good. You chose routes and modes that makes sense, in my opinion. However, I think you need to use a better colour scheme though. The scheme you are using doesn't properly reflect the modes in question. Also some of the lines are tough to see. In my opinion, the thickness of the rail lines should be one size, BRT, another size, and Bus Priority lanes another size.. And using a brighter colour schemes will really show the lines.

Beyond that, good start.

so, is having google earth, the only way you will be able to view the map at the top of this thread??

Yeah.

That is why I do not like using Google Earth as a way to build maps. It looks cool, but a lot of functionality is lost. I prefer the good ol' method of creating a map on paper.

Yeah.

That is why I do not like using Google Earth as a way to build maps. It looks cool, but a lot of functionality is lost. I prefer the good ol' method of creating a map on paper.

just downloaded google earth, tried the link again, nothing. im new to this site, and have been a tranist fan for along time. i thought i was weird, but now i realize ther are so many others that like transit. now i just want to see what people want to see done with transit, and cant. its kinda disheartening :P

just downloaded google earth, tried the link again, nothing. im new to this site, and have been a tranist fan for along time. i thought i was weird, but now i realize ther are so many others that like transit. now i just want to see what people want to see done with transit, and cant. its kinda disheartening :P

Check the sidebar. You have to check the Transit Maps.kmz button

On the other hand, if everyone used Google Earth, we could load multiple maps and directly compare them. There are advantages and disadvantages.

One thing that does bug me about this map - and I don't know enough to determine if it's a fundamental problem with Google Earth - is the lack of labelling on the lanes. It's possible to find out what the lines are by clicking on things, but it's not possible to just *look* at the line and see the names.

Personally, I think it is not likely that you'll see google earth being used extensively. Google maps can be updated fairly regularly, with new streets, and such. But it is extremely expensive to update imagery. You will have instances where bus routes are created for new subdivisions, and the images will not show the completed subdivision. It is very common on Google Earth,.

I noticed that. I should have put it down.. That was a major concern of mine also. But I think you can label the lines in google maps. If you can label the points, there is no reason why you cannot label the lines.

The poster probably neglected to do so.