Mystic

Reactions to Transit Enthusiasts

Over the holidays, I was taking a video of a subway train entering Finch Station. The employee who walks in front of my camera says "no photos, eh?" I responded by saying "not unless it's personal!" He left me alone afterwards.

Strange.....I saw that exact same guy at Finch station about a week ago (who I'm pretty sure is a train driver) when I was taking a pic of an H5 train. He just stared at me and didn't saw anything. Two other supervisors saw me taking the Picture and said "Hi, how are you doing". Of course, I replied "fine. Different people have different experiences I guess.

Strange.....I saw that exact same guy at Finch station about a week ago (who I'm pretty sure is a train driver) when I was taking a pic of an H5 train. He just stared at me and didn't saw anything. Two other supervisors saw me taking the Picture and said "Hi, how are you doing". Of course, I replied "fine. Different people have different experiences I guess.

The dude in the video is a supervisor, (or an impostor <_< ) as he has the red "SUPERVISOR" shoulder patch on his jacket.

The dude in the video is a supervisor, (or in impostor <_< ) as he has the red "SUPERVISOR" shoulder patch on his jacket.

Well, as I said, he saw me there and he didn't saw anything to me. Maybe he was in a bad mood that day.

<_< while your on the topic of grant.. i did see him on my way to hurdman this afternoon and told him to stop being a bug and registering new accounts when he is not welcome here.

I too saw Ryan Grant this afternoon. He took a picture of 1203 when it was on Route 77 (I was riding it at the time).

your no fun, he called the OC renta cops on me... after telling me i wasn't able to take picture, surprisingly this is the first time someones said something directly to me in the 7 months ive lived here.

What is his run number, and what time does he arrive at Lincoln Fields?

I too saw Ryan Grant this afternoon. He took a picture of 1203 when it was on Route 77 (I was riding it at the time).

There should be a thread for Ryan Grant sightings.

And maybe another thread for "Ryan Grant New Registered Account" sightings, too.

:huh:

i was on the bloor danforth long long ago had a radio scanner listening to ttc subway radios and my camera 2 supervisors and a driver were in the front car taking a ride a few stations not one of them said a thing to me

I was at the Elmhurst bus loop today, trying to get a picture of '95 Classic 15-008. The driver, who's in the process of leaving the loop pulls up to me, opens the doors, and asks, "Pourquoi vous prenez des photos?" (Why are you taking pictures?) I respond with "Je suis une journaliste, et je suis en train de faire un projet sur les autobus de Montreal" (I'm a journalist, and I'm in the process of doing a project on the buses of Montreal). The driver then replies "Okay", I say "Merci", and he drives away. That went pretty well, I'd say.

I'm wondering if I can go a year without a TTC employee hassling me. No TTC employees have hassled me since 1/20/09; (passengers and YRT drivers don't count). I still plan to do a little TTC fanning in the next couple weeks like before the TTS meeting.

I was at the Elmhurst bus loop today, trying to get a picture of '95 Classic 15-008. The driver, who's in the process of leaving the loop pulls up to me, opens the doors, and asks, "Pourquoi vous prenez des photos?" (Why are you taking pictures?) I respond with "Je suis une journaliste, et je suis en train de faire un projet sur les autobus de Montreal" (I'm a journalist, and I'm in the process of doing a project on the buses of Montreal). The driver then replies "Okay", I say "Merci", and he drives away. That went pretty well, I'd say.

The reason why I don't want to busfan very much it's because I don't want to get any BAD REACTION, unless it's an artic, now I have a good reason to tell! :huh:

The reason why I don't want to busfan very much it's because I don't want to get any BAD REACTION, unless it's an artic, now I have a good reason to tell! ;)

I hate bad reactions as well, and I used to miss quite a few photo ops and sightings because of how I felt, but most recently I decided to ignore what others said what confrontations I might have, and I did have quite a few confrontations, but each one turned out fine. And I got quite a few photos for my collection that I might never have had.

The reason why I don't want to busfan very much it's because I don't want to get any BAD REACTION, unless it's an artic, now I have a good reason to tell! ;)

Artic or not, doesn't matter. If your going to photograph a bus on public property, I doubt you'd receive a "bad reaction" (whatever that means) Be confident in yourself and just take your pictures. Perhaps you'll improve a lot better in your photographs.

Exactly if you are too shy to take photos or are afraid a confrontation may happen that may turn ugly, then whats the point of lugging around a camera with you and missing out on some great opportunities that may never occur again. also when you go to take photos ignore the peoples reactions around you. (you could care less about what they think of you)

I would mention some stuff but it's already been posted in the 3 posts above me but I'll add on in saying that I've had 3 encounters with transit law, first time I let them win (so I had to leave) but the next two times, I made them leave while I stayed exactly where I was standing. The trick is to know the law, and show them that you know what you are talking about. For example, the best place to take photos is on NCC property, because under the NCC Property and Traffic Regulations Act, it is clearly stated that ONLY the RCMP have official power on NCC lands. Luckily the Transitway is located on mostly NCC property.

So I've told them that I've had previous experiences with photography on NCC lands (the incident I lost) and that I complained to the NCC about this and they actually told me that (and this is exactly what I told the special constables) "you guys have no power on NCC lands, in fact you guys have the exact same power as I have on NCC land. They (being the NCC) also told me that if you guys don't agree with this that I was told to call either them (the NCC) or the RCMP." This was actually what they told me when I complained to them but after I said that the special constables took another approach and pretty much just told us to have a good day.

The message that I am trying to say: Do not let these guys scare you, they won't try to scare you after they realize that they can't strike fear into you. Also if they don't stop harassing you then, you can also ask them if they really have nothing else to do but bug you. Though I've luckily never had to resort to this yet and I don't want to even have to. But if you do, you can also mention all the other stuff they could be enforcing instead like here in Ottawa, there is still people smoking on transit property, they never seem to care unless control tells them to go check it out.

Now that’s the proper attitude; you have to take a stand for your hobby. Do not let yourself be bullied by ex high-school bullies who just go for the lowest-hanging fruit.

VieilAutobus.jpg

When I had 6 cops on me for taking pictures in Ottawa, I took my stand for half an hour being shouted by an hysteric bitch who had parked her char à bœufs* smack in the middle of the Albert street reserved lane during rush-hour.

* In Québec, we call the pigs «bœufs» (oxen), so police cars are «chars à bœufs» (ox-carts).

There should be a thread for Ryan Grant sightings.

And maybe another thread for "Ryan Grant New Registered Account" sightings, too.

;)

And we don't care, cause he doesn't realize what he did!

A funny thing happened last year on the subway. I was waiting for a train heading north on the Yonge line, and there were a bunch of TTC employees grouped on the platform listening to one (probably a supervisor or someone) lecture them about stuff, they were talking about tunnel emergency situations and the like, so I figured they were undergoing some kind of training session. Ok, I'm nearby but keep to myself.

So I get on the next train, and the group proceeds on as well. The supervisor type guy opens up the door to one of the operators doors and starts lefturing them about some subway stuff. "These cars are different from the T1 cars something something something, these cars are called, um..." and I quickly chime in "H5's".

The guy, who seemed quite friendly, looks at me and goes "Thanks, you should be helping on the tour". Heh.

So we arrive at Bloor, the group gets off, I get off, and the supervisor (who probably thinks I'm an employee) walks up to me, shakes my hand, and goes "So, where do you work?" "Oh, I'm just a transit enthusiast".

And we don't care, cause he doesn't realize what he did!
What did he do? Jerk stuff that just pissed everyone off?
A funny thing happened last year on the subway. I was waiting for a train heading north on the Yonge line, and there were a bunch of TTC employees grouped on the platform listening to one (probably a supervisor or someone) lecture them about stuff, they were talking about tunnel emergency situations and the like, so I figured they were undergoing some kind of training session. Ok, I'm nearby but keep to myself.

So I get on the next train, and the group proceeds on as well. The supervisor type guy opens up the door to one of the operators doors and starts lefturing them about some subway stuff. "These cars are different from the T1 cars something something something, these cars are called, um..." and I quickly chime in "H5's".

The guy, who seemed quite friendly, looks at me and goes "Thanks, you should be helping on the tour". Heh.

So we arrive at Bloor, the group gets off, I get off, and the supervisor (who probably thinks I'm an employee) walks up to me, shakes my hand, and goes "So, where do you work?" "Oh, I'm just a transit enthusiast".

Haha, awesome! Maybe you should've asked him to fast-track you to a TTC job. ;)

Funny…

I was quite surprised to see the (very few) employees in the Montréal Métro I talked to to be happy that I knew so much about the Métro (most of it I had deduced by observation). Quite a large contrast to most official contacts which were really, really crappy and lousy…

Funniest one was that signalling engineer I met on the AMT demo run to St-Jérôme, when the Laval Métro opened. He was talking with the conductor about train operations and signalling, but both spoke their languages and I stood between them as a kind of interpretor (since I know a bit of both operations). We talked for at least two hours and when we decided to swap e-mails, when he saw “emdx.org”, he said “Ohhhh! You’re emdx.org??? I love your website, it’s absolutely fantastic!”…

Exactly if you are too shy to take photos or are afraid a confrontation may happen that may turn ugly, then whats the point of lugging around a camera with you and missing out on some great opportunities that may never occur again. also when you go to take photos ignore the peoples reactions around you. (you could care less about what they think of you)

EXACTLY, J!

An action that I usually take, when the driver notices I am shooting to his bus is giving a thumbs-up to him, showing that all is OK, and that the shot is good.

Also, I simply ignore who is around me and looks to me with strange attitude, 'cause I think what I am doing is PERFECTLY normal!... ;) "I like transit, so what??!"

I hate bad reactions as well, and I used to miss quite a few photo ops and sightings because of how I felt, but most recently I decided to ignore what others said what confrontations I might have, and I did have quite a few confrontations, but each one turned out fine. And I got quite a few photos for my collection that I might never have had.

And I got none of thoses! LOL :D Bah, I'm a transitfan but I like to take pics of the newer ones too!

Artic or not, doesn't matter. If your going to photograph a bus on public property, I doubt you'd receive a "bad reaction" (whatever that means) Be confident in yourself and just take your pictures. Perhaps you'll improve a lot better in your photographs.

I'll try to! 70% of my pics are failed right now! LOL ;)

Exactly if you are too shy to take photos or are afraid a confrontation may happen that may turn ugly, then whats the point of lugging around a camera with you and missing out on some great opportunities that may never occur again. Also when you go to take photos ignore the peoples reactions around you. (you could care less about what they think of you)

I'll try that too if possible. <_<

The message that I am trying to say: Do not let these guys scare you, they won't try to scare you after they realize that they can't strike fear into you. Also if they don't stop harassing you then, you can also ask them if they really have nothing else to do but bug you. Though I've luckily never had to resort to this yet and I don't want to even have to. But if you do, you can also mention all the other stuff they could be enforcing instead like here in Ottawa, there is still people smoking on transit property, they never seem to care unless control tells them to go check it out.

Okay then!... :P

I haven't had any problems shooting transit photos lately and most of the time, I take some of my photos in my car at red lights, so I'm sure not to get bothered. Maybe I'll go to Côte-Vertu on Friday, since I booked a day off to take care of some medical stuff, I'll see if I get any reaction from the rent-a-cops. Either that of Mont-Tremblant for a couple of hours before lunch.

Usually when I take my bus photos at a terminus, I try to be discreet and if people are staring, so what? Sometimes I feel like going up to them and ask them if they want to take my picture. So we like buses, some people like trains, planes, cars, trucks, fire engines. We like buses, is that wrong? NO!!! Alex, don't be intimidated by people around you when you take bus photos.