Mystic

Reactions to Transit Enthusiasts

Last Monday @huz66511 and I were taking pictures at Côte-Vertu and photographed a 171 going west. The driver slowed down, opened the doors and asked me why we were taking pictures. Told him that we like buses and it's our hobby. He closed the doors and drove off. 

• Like 1

Had a run-in with the rent-a-cops at Cote-Vertu today. Usual bable, you can't take pictures here, it is against the law... blah blah blah

Asked him to prove it, so he brought me to the rules board in the terminal, couldn't find the rule, so I showed him an email I had from the AMT back in 2013, stating that non-commercial photography is permitted, the rent-a cops were speechless afterwards and let me continue taking my pictures.

• Like 2

Some driver on the 109N at Dixie station was pointing at me waving his finger saying I can't take photos of the bus. Funny thing, it was during a charter with people at the MiWay marketing department..

Had a pretty serious incident with a TTC driver yesterday. I was doing my usual photos and the driver of the bus pulls over, gets out of the bus and walks towards me. He said that he called into Transit Control because I was extremely suspicious, but said what I was doing was legal. I explained my hobby and he takes off shortly after. That was the very first major incident I ever had with TTC staff.

• Confused 1

I had a nasty run-in with a driver on the 7 Bathurst on my last trip to Toronto.  I photographed his LFS artic at the layover at the Steeles Ave. end of the line and walked away when he dog-whistled me and yelled 'This is going on Youtube!'  I turned around and notice he's taking a video of me.  I walked over and politely explained that I do various types of transportation photographing throughout North America, that's all, and he's all 'I don't care.  You shouldn't be taking people's pictures'.  I told him that you can't even see him in the photo and he's still 'I don't care'. 

Seeing that I'm getting nowhere being polite and civil, I told him 'Well, have a good day' and as I'm walking away he says 'Someday, someone's going to stick that camera up your a**'.  I stopped, turned back and responded 'Well, you realize that would be assault, right?' and he says 'Yup, and the only thing that's preventing me from doing it right now is this TTC patch on my shoulder'.  I just said 'Whatever' and walked away.  Nice guy, huh?

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, RailBus63 said:

I had a nasty run-in with a driver on the 7 Bathurst on my last trip to Toronto.  I photographed his LFS artic at the layover at the Steeles Ave. end of the line and walked away when he dog-whistled me and yelled 'This is going on Youtube!'  I turned around and notice he's taking a video of me.  I walked over and politely explained that I do various types of transportation photographing throughout North America, that's all, and he's all 'I don't care.  You shouldn't be taking people's pictures'.  I told him that you can't even see him in the photo and he's still 'I don't care'. 

Seeing that I'm getting nowhere being polite and civil, I told him 'Well, have a good day' and as I'm walking away he says 'Someday, someone's going to stick that camera up your a**'.  I stopped, turned back and responded 'Well, you realize that would be assault, right?' and he says 'Yup, and the only thing that's preventing me from doing it right now is this TTC patch on my shoulder'.  I just said 'Whatever' and walked away.  Nice guy, huh?

OK, he just over-reacted to the situation. I can tell he's a mean driver. He had no need to make that last comment about a camera, or to film, or to say anything mean. I wonder if he got suspended or fired for that... :D

3 hours ago, TTC T6H-5307N 2252 said:

If a driver says he's gonna call transit control and the police "The police can't do anything" this could help out

Yes, it probably would help you in that situation. Not guaranteed, but likely to work. 

On 10/11/2017 at 5:16 PM, PCC Guy said:

Wow, that's pretty appalling. Did you report him for that?

I thought about it but I didn't.  I was satisfied with standing my ground - frankly, I think he was full of crap and his remark was intended to get me to react.  I wasn't about to give him the satisfaction.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, RailBus63 said:

I thought about it but I didn't.  I was satisfied with standing my ground - frankly, I think he was full of crap and his remark was intended to get me to react.  I wasn't about to give him the satisfaction.

If I were you, I would have did that, along with reporting the driver without him knowing. That way, he can't get his satisfaction. He'd also likely get suspended.

On December 21, 2016 at 1:20 PM, Blue Bus Fan said:

I know I don't need permission to take pictures of buses.

Exactly. A CMBC driver didn't care when I recorded video of a bus pulling up to a stop. He just asked me if I wanted to get on the bus, no questions about the phone pointed at the bus at all.

This may have been pushing the envelope a little, but during the summer I visited various garages, including one meant for just new and old bus storage a few miles away from me. The first time I went, I went basically right up to the fence and took pics etc. Same thing next time. The third time I go, I learn from a new security guard because it's private property, I can't be anywhere near the fence with a camera (it's "illegal"...), or the adjacent parking lot (which was not fenced, and full of gravel). Fourth time, I go right up to the sidewalk near the entrance gate, and two security guards are about 15 feet away. They see me, and tell me to stop taking pics. One later goes on to say he'll call the police if I continued. I stayed for a couple more minutes, dismissing what he said (the security guards aren't as powerful or intimidating as they think, let alone something barely synonymous to smart). I went home that day to do some research, and apparently it's only illegal when you plan to cause harm. I've taken pics at the main garage without significant issues,

I was visiting a friend on the shore of Connecticut, and was taking pictures at a transit hub. I arrived around 7:45, and had been taking pics for a solid 2-3 hours inside the hub, within the vision of the public eye and a supervisor/SRO from the company who owned the hub. About an hour later, a security guard that seemingly popped out of thin air comes to say it's also illegal to take pictures in the hub (she said due to September 11th). I had thought about challenging this, but I would've been in over my head had I actually gotten arrested for whatever charge they make up.

I love transit, but the logic of the people who keep it going makes no sense at basically all times.

This document is a valuable source of information regarding your rights as a photographer on public property: http://www.krages.com/ThePhotographersRight.pdf

The key paragraph:

The general rule in the United States is that anyone may take photographs of whatever they want when they are in a public place or places where they have permission to take photographs.  Absent a specific legal prohibition such as a statute or ordinance, you are legally entitled to take photographs.  Examples of places that are traditionally considered public are streets, sidewalks, and public parks.

Transit centers are more like private property than a public sidewalk is so there may be specific rules of conduct that can prohibit photography on the premises.  Even if there is no such rule, most places will have rules against loitering and police or security guards may be within their rights to ask you to leave if you are hanging out for a while with no clear immediate intention on boarding a vehicle.  Always be civil and if you are asked to leave it's best to do so - if you believe you have the right to take pictures and want to return, follow up with the transit agency and obtain the proper permission.  

I had couple run-ins with GO; one recently and the other a few years back. I was filming at Port Credit GO on the platform (full tripod and everything) and a train was departing towards Aldershot, and the operator finger wagged me. 

The other time was when I was at Appleby (this was when the UPx had been delivered and was testing on LE/W lines). Some transit officer came up and asked me what I was doing, and once I told her she asked if I saw the UPx and if I was waiting for anything else. 

It's really blurred on whether you can do it or not. Some staff members are okay with it, others aren't. 

My biggest pet peeve is when passengers look at you as if you're some moron who has nothing better to do.

I was taking photos of STM buses at Honoré-Beaugrand station on Tuesday before joining my wife for lunch and I got a photo of 22-354. First thing I know, the driver is out of his bus and came up face to face with me with his cell phone in his hands and snapped a photo of me. When I saw the flash, I gave his a nice big smile and told him to send it to my friend who's a driver at Mont-Royal. He mumbled something and scurried back to his bus.

The friend in question, I've known for the past 30 years. ;)

• Like 2

This time it was Mississauga and that's why I usually do not go. Drivers and their stupid attitudes towards me and their hand gestures. Gotta knock it off. Its part of the job.

18 hours ago, gmnewlook said:

I was taking photos of STM buses at Honoré-Beaugrand station on Tuesday before joining my wife for lunch and I got a photo of 22-354. First thing I know, the driver is out of his bus and came up face to face with me with his cell phone in his hands and snapped a photo of me. When I saw the flash, I gave his a nice big smile and told him to send it to my friend who's a driver at Mont-Royal. He mumbled something and scurried back to his bus.

The friend in question, I've known for the past 30 years. ;)

Funnily enough, I've had that happen to me twice. Most recently on Saturday in, of all places, St. Thomas. The driver on route 3 took a photo of 97SCT and I with his phone. We, of course, smiled. If someone does that, I just jokingly ask if they got my good side. It's a nice light-hearted way to handle the situation.

2 hours ago, TTC 9701 said:

This time it was Mississauga and that's why I usually do not go. Drivers and their stupid attitudes towards me and their hand gestures. Gotta knock it off. Its part of the job.

Basically, it's best to just get your shots and not worry. If you get confronted, show a business card as I plan to do. A lot of agencies nowadays have cameras on their buses so operators need to keep that in mind.

I had a lot of attention paid to me today on my fanning trip, surprisingly. Several drivers at Scarborough Town Centre waved to me, a hybrid driver at Victoria Park stopped in the middle of the intersection to berate me that I didn't have permission to take his photo (something I didn't even have - if you can identify a driver through the warped windscreen glass, you must be a wizard), and then a driver training bus pulled over, and the instructor came and chatted with me for a bit. He asked me what I was up to, I told him I was looking for Orion VIIs before they retired, and we chatted a bit about the hobby. He mentioned that he was with the Toronto Transportation Society, so if that was anyone who's on these forums, it was nice chatting with you! Bus fanning can be a very solitary hobby so all interaction with the outside world is nice. I hope you enjoy Dayton! :)

• Like 2