7th Ave. CTrain Station Refurbishment Project

BCT-3122-D800-10240

I'm looking forward to it. The closure of 6th Street Station for a upwards of a year will be a bit of a pain (and 4th street after 6th reopens), but the end result is worth it. Combined with the developments that are planned along 7th such as the new tower adjacent to Nexen that will tie into the new 8th Street station, plus the redevelopment of the old Court of Queens Bench site into a park should result in a magnificent change.

There may be some with the 6th street station most likely as a lot of routes run EB past it, the 7th street station though probably won't affect much as I don't think many (or any?) routes go WB there, most turn north at 6th street. Even for 6th it probably won't cause any permanent detours as the work itself won't block the CTrain at all, so the buses should be able to drive past.

• 6 months later...

6th Avenue Station

lrt-aug16-1.jpg

The supports are mostly poured the entire length of the block except where they ramp down to the previous sidewalk level.

7th Avenue Station

lrt-aug16-2.jpg

There was a cart from Ferguson Glass on the platform, which is the same company that did the glass work on the 1st Street platform several years back. Probably close to 3/4 of the steel is up, assuming they are going with the standard roof over 3/4 the platform as they did on virtually all other stations of late (technically 2/3 on the 3 LRV stations).

lrt-aug16-3.jpg

New sidewalk and footings for the new caternary poles opposite the station

Yep, someone over on SSP mentioned they got some placed likely on Sunday. 7th Street is coming along nicely, which is good considering theres only about 4-5 months until its supposed to be commissioned (Jan 2009), and 6th street will open about a month after that (Feb 2009)

• 3 weeks later...

7th Street Station:

7thstreetlrt-sept5-1.jpg

The new caternary poles are now in, and the canopy is mostly done. Shouldn't be that hard to be open in January (only 4 months!). Mostly just the ramps on either end and placing the few sections of platform where the old caternary poles were at.

6th Street Station:

6thstreetlrt-sept5-1.jpg

6thstreetlrt-sept5-2.jpg

The glass is sitting on the west end of the platform. By where they are now a February (or even January) opening shouldn't be a problem. Biggest concern is that its a short canopy, and ends short of the +15 by a good bit, with a lot of platform on the other side

• 1 month later...

My brother mentioned that he thought some of the signage was up at 6th Street tonight, I'm going to take a trip downtown tommorow to get some photo's since I haven't been down there in a bit now. Last I was they were just starting work on the sloped sidewalk up to the platform on both 6th and 7th, and were working on the back part of the platform at 7th (an additional section past the preformed panels). If the signs are going up I would wonder if they may be able to reopen them early, the initial timeline had 7th Street reopening in January and 6th Street in February.

• 3 months later...

Yeah. There are similar lights on the 1st Street station and they appear to be also on 6th Street (but those ones haven't been turned on yet), so I'd imagine it will be a common feature on all the stations in the core once the refurb project is completed.

Yeah. There are similar lights on the 1st Street station and they appear to be also on 6th Street (but those ones haven't been turned on yet), so I'd imagine it will be a common feature on all the stations in the core once the refurb project is completed.

Sweet!

• 2 weeks later...
They installed about half a dozen or more clocks at the new 7th street station with LEDs very strange looking, they have 1 arm and no numbers....no word when the stations will open....

From what I've heard now, the new 7th Street West will open the last weekend of February, while 6th will reopen the last weekend of March.

• 2 weeks later...

3rd should also be closing relatively soon. The initial timeline was March or April, but seeing as how 6th is likely to be late March probably late April or even May for 3rd to close.

4th has always been the big question mark in the timeline since its refurbishment is tied to the province's work on the old court house site, though with the new parking lot there aiming for completion by next summer it will probably be well underway by fall.

3rd should also be closing relatively soon. The initial timeline was March or April, but seeing as how 6th is likely to be late March probably late April or even May for 3rd to close.

4th has always been the big question mark in the timeline since its refurbishment is tied to the province's work on the old court house site, though with the new parking lot there aiming for completion by next summer it will probably be well underway by fall.

7th street station looks ready i saw the workers testing the (help booth thing) and the ticket machine

looks oporational so i would saw it is good for tomorrow!

The city has posted an updated schedule:

7th Street Station: Existing platform will be closed and removed beginning February 27, 2009. The new 7 Street Station will be in service on February 27, 2009.

6th Street Station: The platform is currently closed for construction and is scheduled to re-open on March 27, 2009

3rd Street Station: The existing platform will be removed in April 2009. The platform will be closed for approximately one year for platform construction. The refurbished station is expected to re-open in spring 2010

8th Street Station: The existing platform will be removed in late 2009. The new 8 Street Station will be in service in late 2009

4th Street Station: Anticipated to close near the end of 2009. New station open by end of 2010.

10 Street Station: Done as part of WestLRT, 2011-2012

City Hall, Centre St, Olympic plaza, 3rd Street SE: New City hall twin station, extending Centre Street to 4 LRV and refurbing the others (olympic and 3rd will both be removed) in 2011-2012 as well

They also mention ~3 weeks to remove each platform.