"Bonjour!"

SMS

Remember the times when there was a Bonjour! sticker under driver's windows here in Montreal?

Those of you who know me probably know that I'm a pretty polite guy most of the time. Whenever I get on the bus here, I say Bonjour but as of late the drivers are silent, indifferent, and always are second to reply, never instigating. So I'm trying something new... I'm going to say Hi to see if I get any responses out of that. However, if a driver says hello first, I'll reply in kind. I just tried it on the 144 and got a Bonjour back! Perhaps you'd like to try this fun experiment!

a symptom of low employee morale perhaps?

Apparently the talks keep breaking down regarding their strike mandate, and it must be pretty depressing to have to deal with it everyday at work. I know that when I hear all of my coworkers grievances everyday it really gets me in a down mood, the same probably goes for this as well...

I know that there is this one new CITSO driver from Quebec City who is really AMAZING! A really great guy all around, and can drive too!

The last few times, he was asking the passengers if they wanted to be let off at their doorstep along the route so they didn't have to walk through the snow. Very kind, funny, and he was dancing along to the music with the radio. (One of the few CITSO drivers that uses their radio. I know that STTR does, but CITSO doesn't usually). Infact, he was "raising the roof" while we were waiting at the traffic lights. ;)

Apparently the talks keep breaking down regarding their strike mandate, and it must be pretty depressing to have to deal with it everyday at work. I know that when I hear all of my coworkers grievances everyday it really gets me in a down mood, the same probably goes for this as well...

I know that there is this one new CITSO driver from Quebec City who is really AMAZING! A really great guy all around, and can drive too!

The last few times, he was asking the passengers if they wanted to be let off at their doorstep along the route so they didn't have to walk through the snow. Very kind, funny, and he was dancing along to the music with the radio. (One of the few CITSO drivers that uses their radio. I know that STTR does, but CITSO doesn't usually). Infact, he was "raising the roof" while we were waiting at the traffic lights. :P

TBT drivers are usually grumpy... ;) There are some very nice drivers though, but not many.

And they like to listen to radio. :P

Perhaps... and I'm sure it's tough dealing with idiot clientele and idiot Montreal drivers and fare evasion and the like... but I find it bizarre that it is up to the customer to provide the greeting... only the motivated and content drivers do so. So if I am not answered in the province's only official language... I'll try different measures.

Remember the times when there was a Bonjour! sticker under driver's windows here in Montreal?

Those of you who know me probably know that I'm a pretty polite guy most of the time. Whenever I get on the bus here, I say Bonjour but as of late the drivers are silent, indifferent, and always are second to reply, never instigating. So I'm trying something new... I'm going to say Hi to see if I get any responses out of that. However, if a driver says hello first, I'll reply in kind. I just tried it on the 144 and got a Bonjour back! Perhaps you'd like to try this fun experiment!

That's the same policy I have as well. Bonjour or bonsoir when I board, (if the driver seems nice and I'm in a cheery mood, I might use Salut! isntead.), and then when leaving I always say Merci and either Aurevoir or Bonne Soiree.

I wouldn't rule it out!

The last few times, he was asking the passengers if they wanted to be let off at their doorstep along the route so they didn't have to walk through the snow. Very kind, funny, and he was dancing along to the music with the radio. (One of the few CITSO drivers that uses their radio. I know that STTR does, but CITSO doesn't usually). Infact, he was "raising the roof" while we were waiting at the traffic lights. :P

Oh yeah! He's soooo amazing! ;)

If all drivers were like that, we would be able to attract many more riders, people like to be treated nicely, it may be obvious but the drivers need to be better trained in customer service. Afterall, soon they will have one less task to do. They will no longer be involved with fare-collection. IMO that equals more time to spend giving friendly customer service.

Bad/rude drivers turn me off beyond belief.

Perhaps... and I'm sure it's tough dealing with idiot clientele and idiot Montreal drivers and fare evasion and the like... but I find it bizarre that it is up to the customer to provide the greeting... only the motivated and content drivers do so. So if I am not answered in the province's only official language... I'll try different measures.

So what exactly does your little experiment involve?

Saying "Hi!" instead of "Bonjour!"?

I got on 13-099 on the 420 this evening and the driver said 'Bonjour' to everyone that came on the bus! He also said 'Bonne soiree' to everyone that got off the bus from the front obviously.. Not too often I see a driver do this, even when people are not even looking at you. He got a positive reaction from just about everyone that came on and off the bus.

I got on 13-099 on the 420 this evening and the driver said 'Bonjour' to everyone that came on the bus! He also said 'Bonne soiree' to everyone that got off the bus from the front obviously.. Not too often I see a driver do this, even when people are not even looking at you. He got a positive reaction from just about everyone that came on and off the bus.

good to see.

Sounds very familiar here with Calgary Transit Operators too. Most don't bother saying anything unless the customer says something first. Even then, some still don't respond. I used to always greet the operators as I boarded a bus (And still do even though I am now a bus operator myself). I greet my customers all the time with each one as they board the bus. some respond, and some don't. I get quite a few "Thankyou's" as they leave through the front and rear doors.

I found when I rode STM buses during my two trips there, I would say "Hello" or "Morning" and many would respond back with most probably thinking "Ok, this guys not from here!!" LOL!

I always greet the driver when I get on, and thank him or her as I get off. I find it helps in that if I ever lose my transfer (which happened once) or don't have a bus ticket (which also has happened once), the drivers that I have spoken to are more apt to just let me on. Someone who just gets on, inserts their fare, then holds their had in front of the driver's face for a transfer is very less likely to be let on for free in cases like those.

I find the STO drivers are much more friendlier than OC Transpo drivers. If I say 'Hi'/'Bonjour' or 'Thanks'/'Merci' or whatever else to the STO drivers, I can usually expect a response. Though, with OC drivers, I can generally expect a grunt, if any reply at all.

I find the STO drivers are much more friendlier than OC Transpo drivers. If I say 'Hi'/'Bonjour' or 'Thanks'/'Merci' or whatever else to the STO drivers, I can usually expect a response. Though, with OC drivers, I can generally expect a grunt, if any reply at all.

Thats true. Everytime I ride a OC bus, and I exit from the bus, I always say Thank You. Mainly, no f**king response, so it looks like I'm talking to myself... Except at night, when the older drivers do local routes, I say Thank You and they reply with Good Night or Your Welcome. I find the female drivers more polite (and drive realllllllly fast so it makes travelling faster, especially on the 95!) then the male drivers.

I've had a bad experience with an OC driver once. I was busfanning near Bank Street and the guy jumped out of his bus and started yelling at me for taking his photo. :rolleyes:

I've also noticed when boarding OC buses, the drivers usually don't say anything, even if I say Hello. It happened a few times, so I just said forget this, and for the rest of my trip I always boarded from the backdoor.

I do have to say that I had a good experience though, riding the 95 around midnight, the driver told me he'd take me to the terminal so I could transfer over to the bus I needed. He could have just simply passed by me on the street, or gotten me lost somewhere.

I've had a bad experience with an OC driver once. I was busfanning near Bank Street and the guy jumped out of his bus and started yelling at me for taking his photo. :)

I've also noticed when boarding OC buses, the drivers usually don't say anything, even if I say Hello. It happened a few times, so I just said forget this, and for the rest of my trip I always boarded from the backdoor.

I do have to say that I had a good experience though, riding the 95 around midnight, the driver told me he'd take me to the terminal so I could transfer over to the bus I needed. He could have just simply passed by me on the street, or gotten me lost somewhere.

Heh, I get nervous if the driver so much as looks in my direction (Especially in cases like on 0610's pic). I don't know what I'd do if the driver jumped out of the bus :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I think I just had that driver for my trip both to and from Valleyfield today. The only driver I've seen to wear a CITSO cap. I want it!!!!

Alex

I gotta ask the guy how to get one!

Yeah, this has to be the guy, he's one of the few CITSO drivers proud of driving and proud of the company!

If people fail to pay attention due to noise, their MP3 players, etc, how is it the drivers fault? We're too cheap to have mikes. All our buses are base models and are bare bones: no good seating, no a/c, no p/a system, no automatic announcements, no next stop LED board...