GO Transit

Enzo Aquarius

Hey folks, hoping you can clarify a routing for me!

I've noticed on Morningside Avenue and Pan Am Drive, there are two GO bus stops (east and west) for the 41. I distinctly remember the 41 stopping there on multiple occasions, and would now like to use it. 

However, upon checking the GO schedule it seems they removed the stop? But transsee shows it as a stop. And the signs are still there IRL.

So my question is this, is it still a stop? If not why was it removed and the signage still remains? And do you think the bus will stop for me if I'm jumping, flaging my hands, and pointing to the bus stop sign? 🤣

Screenshot_20221031-111211_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20221031-111315_Drive.jpg

4 hours ago, MRD10 said:

I've noticed on Morningside Avenue and Pan Am Drive, there are two GO bus stops (east and west) for the 41. I distinctly remember the 41 stopping there on multiple occasions, and would now like to use it. 

However, upon checking the GO schedule it seems they removed the stop? But transsee shows it as a stop. And the signs are still there IRL.

So my question is this, is it still a stop? If not why was it removed and the signage still remains? And do you think the bus will stop for me if I'm jumping, flaging my hands, and pointing to the bus stop sign? 🤣

I'm familiar with your situation lol. They only post major stops on those PDF schedules. If you actually type in the stop into the GO website it'll give you an exact time to expect the bus.

For example, any GO bus that goes up Yonge St. from the 401 to Finch Terminal- the only major stop is Sheppard subway, so they'll list a time there but not one for say Yonge/Glendora or Yonge/Empress. 

4 hours ago, MRD10 said:

The print schedules don't show every single stop on a lot of of the bus routes, as it would frankly just be too many locations.

And in fact, if you look up an address close to that location on GO's site, you'll see that those stops are still active: https://www.gotransit.com/en/stations-stops-parking/find-a-station-or-stop/station-or-stop-page?location=158 Bonspiel Drive, Toronto

Dan

While on a Lakeshore East train, I noticed old style cab car number 251 at the Whitby GO Facility sitting in storage along with two other BiLevels. Cab Car 251 has supposedly not been run since October of 2021, while all the other old style cab cars are currently on consist and are being used, wonder what happened to it?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, rs3488 said:

While on a Lakeshore East train, I noticed old style cab car number 251 at the Whitby GO Facility sitting in storage along with two other BiLevels. Cab Car 251 has supposedly not been run since October of 2021, while all the other old style cab cars are currently on consist and are being used, wonder what happened to it?

I also saw an unused 8-10 car consist with an older cab car on point, being 221, stored in a siding near the Whitby Rail Maintenance Facility which has been there for some time- could be kept as spare for now (there wasn't a locomotive attached to the east end the last time I checked in mid-October 2022)

14 hours ago, Joshuamumble said:

I also saw an unused 8-10 car consist with an older cab car on point, being 221, stored in a siding near the Whitby Rail Maintenance Facility which has been there for some time- could be kept as spare for now (there wasn't a locomotive attached to the east end the last time I checked in mid-October 2022)

221 had it's cab controls deactivated back in 2016, I believe its place in the consist is only a coincidence.

It will be interesting to see where GO, go for it next batch of buses.

None of the transit system I saw in Europe this summer don't have double deck buses anymore.  Compare to 2012 trip, 60' buses have replace the DD and most are eBuses. Rode 5 different types and they had different charging system, this includes 40' buses. Most have different type of pole raising from the bus roof up to the overhead charging system that are at bus terminals or end of the route. Milan and Rotterdam 40's use overhead while the rest use plug-in at the garage. Most charging was done within 10 minutes to a point some didn't need to be charge.

Milan use a dropdown system for their 40's

Pass a number of towns by rail like 2012 and saw no DD, other than 40's and 60's that have replace them.

4 hours ago, drum118 said:

It will be interesting to see where GO, go for it next batch of buses.

None of the transit system I saw in Europe this summer don't have double deck buses anymore.  Compare to 2012 trip, 60' buses have replace the DD and most are eBuses. Rode 5 different types and they had different charging system, this includes 40' buses. Most have different type of pole raising from the bus roof up to the overhead charging system that are at bus terminals or end of the route. Milan and Rotterdam 40's use overhead while the rest use plug-in at the garage. Most charging was done within 10 minutes to a point some didn't need to be charge.

Milan use a dropdown system for their 40's

Pass a number of towns by rail like 2012 and saw no DD, other than 40's and 60's that have replace them.

Go Transit has invested a lot into double deckers over the last 10 years adjusted to better work with their network. SuperLo double deckers being the major push since 2016 having most of the fleet with double decker buses. I remember when Route 16 Hamilton Express was one of the first routes to receive SuperLo double deckers because it was a high ridership route.

Especially for some routes that only run hourly, the seating capacity is handy to accommodate more passengers and avoid standees. Especially for long-haul trips. 

Though, I do think they will need to retain some regular coach buses or order some in the future when the older ones start to be phased out. Some routes simply don't have enough demand to justify while others may have operational difficulties that cannot be addressed. 

56 minutes ago, Articulated said:

A few: 37, 38, 68, and 81.

The 36 used to be as well until they changed the platform assignments at York Mills.

Regarding Route 37, 38 and 81, I guess they stick to regular coach buses due to low ridership?

I know the 68 is not permitted to operate with double deckers due to the risk of hitting an overhang at Barrie Bus Terminal. The maximum furthest terminus they can operate is up to Allandale Go Station. 

7 hours ago, GTAmissions1 said:

Regarding Route 37, 38 and 81, I guess they stick to regular coach buses due to low ridership?

I know the 68 is not permitted to operate with double deckers due to the risk of hitting an overhang at Barrie Bus Terminal. The maximum furthest terminus they can operate is up to Allandale Go Station. 

In addition the 81 actually has two buses located in Beaverton so it’s more or less the same two D4500s and drivers pending a bus change for repairs

42 minutes ago, ZümmyZüm said:

In addition the 81 actually has two buses located in Beaverton so it’s more or less the same two D4500s and drivers pending a bus change for repairs

That's no longer correct. Beaverton used to have a satellite facility, but the lease was terminated in 2019 when the 81 was slated to be canceled (the same time a number of rural routes were cancelled/reduced by the Ford government). Due to political interference the 81 ended up being maintained at a reduced frequency; however, with the garage lease cancelled buses now have to deadhead to/from the closest garage (usually East Gwillimbury, but some trips are operated by Oshawa).

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ZümmyZüm said:

Speaking of single level buses is there going to be an order to replace MCI's? 

Are drivers walking off the job at midnight?

1 hour ago, Shaun said:

Speaking of single level buses is there going to be an order to replace MCI's? 

Are drivers walking off the job at midnight?

Trips beginning before midnight are operating, but after that they will not be.

11 hours ago, GTAmissions1 said:

Interesting. The wiki did mention that Enviro500s were operated on route 81 at a certain point; was this changed back recently?

8 hours ago, blue.bird.fan said:

Interesting. The wiki did mention that Enviro500s were operated on route 81 at a certain point; was this changed back recently?

They ordered the teachers back to work but not GO transit workers ?

20 minutes ago, Shaun said:

They ordered the teachers back to work but not GO transit workers ?

No, they didn't.

They tried to impose a contract on education support workers, those being chiefly early childhood educators, librarians, custodians, etc., not teachers. Those education workers then told them to pound sand. Please inform yourself before posting.

Also, the GO strike literally just started. I'm sure there's lots of bad faith threats against the drivers in the pipeline, just give it time.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, blue.bird.fan said:

The DD’s used to operate on the 81A branch (Whitby Go to Port Perry) when it existed. 

I don’t think I’ve ever seen one on the main 81 to Beaverton. 

7 minutes ago, T3G said:

No, they didn't.

They tried to impose a contract on education support workers, those being chiefly early childhood educators, librarians, custodians, etc., not teachers. Those education workers then told them to pound sand. Please inform yourself before posting.

Also, the GO strike literally just started. I'm sure there's lots of bad faith threats against the drivers in the pipeline, just give it time.

Don’t waste your time.

His lobotomy was performed on a Friday.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6