GO Transit

Enzo Aquarius

I'm surprised that they spent all that money on Gormley station with no weekend service at all.

They could at least extend the Leslie bus to terminate there or something. 

If they had bus service on the Richmond Hill line on weekends, people could park their car at the station and take the bus downtown. It would be faster than taking the VIVA bus to Finch and then the subway to Union. 

Makes no sense.

5 hours ago, Shaun said:

I'm surprised that they spent all that money on Gormley station with no weekend service at all.

If they had bus service on the Richmond Hill line on weekends, people could park their car at the station and take the bus downtown. It would be faster than taking the VIVA bus to Finch and then the subway to Union. 

Makes no sense.

The same could be said for Bloomington Station as well, which also has no service on weekends, let alone that YRT doesn't serve Gormley and Bloomington right now; Metrolinx should seriously improve transit connections to that area outside of rush hour if they want to have a good return on those stations

Regardless, route 61 should be operating off peak, weekends and holidays as the Richmond Hill line is the only bus and rail corridor in the system without weekend service

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Joshuamumble said:

The same could be said for Bloomington Station as well, which also has no service on weekends, let alone that YRT doesn't serve Gormley and Bloomington right now; Metrolinx should seriously improve transit connections to that area outside of rush hour if they want to have a good return on those stations

Regardless, route 61 should be operating off peak, weekends and holidays as the Richmond Hill line is the only bus and rail corridor in the system without weekend service

The service should run from the 404/woodbine parking lot and serve Bloomington, Gormley, major Mackenzie and 404, and keep going south to Union. OR get off at Sheppard go east to consumers Rd, and then hop back on the 401 at Victoria park and head south on the DVP to go downtown. OR take the HOV lane all the way down to the 401 and get off at Leslie. This way they can serve Oriole GO station with connections to Leslie station. The problem with Oriole is that I won't work northbound because the ramp to go east is south of the 401.  It could go into the hospital and go over the bridge to turn around to get back on the 401 to go east. 

Why not extend the woodbine bus, Leslie and Bayview buses to Gormley?

1 hour ago, Shaun said:

The service should run from the 404/woodbine parking lot and serve Bloomington, Gormley, major Mackenzie and 404, and keep going south to Union. OR get off at Sheppard go east to consumers Rd, and then hop back on the 401 at Victoria park and head south on the DVP to go downtown. OR take the HOV lane all the way down to the 401 and get off at Leslie. This way they can serve Oriole GO station with connections to Leslie station. The problem with Oriole is that I won't work northbound because the ramp to go east is south of the 401.  It could go into the hospital and go over the bridge to turn around to get back on the 401 to go east. 

Why not extend the woodbine bus, Leslie and Bayview buses to Gormley?

There are plans to extend the Woodbine bus to Gormely Go Station pending approval via Transit Initiatives 2023. 

Leslie on the other hand, they would have to add additional buses to cover the stretch. 91B Bayview could be extended, though the challenge for both is if it will attract enough ridership to justify those extensions. Especially when YRT has been well-known to do the bare minimum if it involves expanding service or adding more resources.

91B only operates during the peak periods. 

22 hours ago, Shaun said:

Makes no sense.

And considering that they don't have enough crews to run the service right now, how would they staff these imaginary trains?

Not to mention that the line is CN's mainline, and so they are the ones who get to say how much service is run.

16 hours ago, Joshuamumble said:

Did you ever consider that there might be a reason for that?

Dan

• Like 1

From the CBC: GO bus drivers in legal strike position Oct. 1 if union and Metrolinx can't reach deal

This isn't the same as actually taking strike action.  Talks are still ongoing, but the main issues are job security and the ramifications of Bill 124 which limits public sector wage increases to 1% per year, far below the current rate of inflation.  You would think with the surplus recently announced they'd be willing to modify or repeal Bill 124 which also affects nurses and teachers.  Pissing them off will bring an immediate reaction from the general public if they all decided to stop working.  Is Ford banking on his increased control of Queen's Park to get his way?

Any possible GO bus strike would also impact several projects Metrolinx has going on right now that require shutting down rail service and using buses in their place.  If the ad hoc bustitutions on the 21 and 31 this past summer were any indication, a full scale shutdown would be a complete disaster.  University and college students would also unfairly face the brunt of any strike.  The Japanese strike solution, whereby drivers continue to work but refuse to collect fares would be ideal here.  Penalizing the riding public doesn't seem fair.

5 hours ago, Gil said:

Is Ford banking on his increased control of Queen's Park to get his way?

Without a doubt he is, he couldnt care less and that's exactly what happens when people vote for a majority government. Doug can just strong arm his way through anything (as evidenced by his lack of having public consultations before enacting controversial Bills).

If this were a minority government, the horrible PR around both the Crosstown's recent announced delay combined with a potential GO Transit strike would be enough of a mess politically to at least initiate talks of toppling a government. That wouldnt happen since we're just had a provincial election, but no government wants to deal with that.

But since Doug has his majority, there's no consequence to him and he can just hold the line and blame whomever he wants for the strike action without any consequence to him.

23 hours ago, lip said:

Without a doubt he is, he couldnt care less and that's exactly what happens when people vote for a majority government. Doug can just strong arm his way through anything (as evidenced by his lack of having public consultations before enacting controversial Bills).

If this were a minority government, the horrible PR around both the Crosstown's recent announced delay combined with a potential GO Transit strike would be enough of a mess politically to at least initiate talks of toppling a government. That wouldnt happen since we're just had a provincial election, but no government wants to deal with that.

But since Doug has his majority, there's no consequence to him and he can just hold the line and blame whomever he wants for the strike action without any consequence to him.

I think Doug could care less about the average person who takes transit. His voter base is big business. More like the companies that bid on these projects to make more money.

50 minutes ago, Ultimate said:

Oshawa GO is now Durham College Oshawa GO

In all honesty, I find this comical. Almost all DRT busses that go from either DC campus go to Whitby GO Station, with the remaining going to either McCowan RT Station, Oshawa Centre or Lakeview Park. The only bus that goes from Oshawa GO to either DC campus is the 56 GO Bus. There is no direct DRT bus to either DC Campus from Oshawa GO. There is a DC campus in Whitby that isn't overly far away from Oshawa GO but because of the 401, it's a 45min walk and there are no sidewalks.

6 minutes ago, John Oke said:

In all honesty, I find this comical. Almost all DRT busses that go from either DC campus go to Whitby GO Station, with the remaining going to either McCowan RT Station, Oshawa Centre or Lakeview Park. The only bus that goes from Oshawa GO to either DC campus is the 56 GO Bus. There is no direct DRT bus to either DC Campus from Oshawa GO. There is a DC campus in Whitby that isn't overly far away from Oshawa GO but because of the 401, it's a 45min walk and there are no sidewalks.

It’s ridiculous and unnecessarily confusing. But apparently the people in charge don’t care.

• Like 1

Metrolinx and their idiotic stupidity when it comes to station naming.

How many naming conventions are they going to come up with/pay their consultants for? I thought transit was for going from Point A to Point B in the most efficient manner, seamlessly without any confusion?

This is exactly why we now have idiotic things like 3 Eglinton stations in completely different locations (1 on the Crosstown, 1 on the GO Network, 1 on the Hurontario Line), the "Hazel McCallion" Line in Missisauga, East Harbour station (in Toronto) and West Harbour station (in Hamilton), etc.

A big part of the blame is on Metrolinx for this nonsense, but another part goes to Doug Ford directly and his sheer stupidity.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Doppelkupplung said:

Ah yes, more car-centric GO stations. Just what we needed. 

I have mixed feelings after reading the press release.

With 150 parking spots, it's not exactly a car cathedral the way many other stations are with massive multilevel carparks and a bank of elevators at the end waiting to whisk commuters from the covered parking down to the train platforms and back up again on the way home.  That'll all be out in the open.  The 151st poor SOB showing up in the morning to go to work is going to be SOL and driving to the next stop or parking at the Walmart plaza on the other side of Centennial Parkway and hoofing it back fast, hoping they don't miss their train.

There isn't much residentail in the area within any kind of a reasonable walking distance so foot traffic, understandably, is going to be pretty thin.  Also, looking at the map, it would be more than a short extension along Centennial Parkway to bring the LRT from Eastgate Squre to the new station.  It's unfortunate that Hamilton will have three train stations but the LRT won't meet any of them, assuming the LRT goes ahead.

5 minutes ago, Wayside Observer said:

I have mixed feelings after reading the press release.

With 150 parking spots, it's not exactly a car cathedral the way many other stations are with massive multilevel carparks and a bank of elevators at the end waiting to whisk commuters from the covered parking down to the train platforms and back up again on the way home.  That'll all be out in the open.  The 151st poor SOB showing up in the morning to go to work is going to be SOL and driving to the next stop or parking at the Walmart plaza on the other side of Centennial Parkway and hoofing it back fast, hoping they don't miss their train.

There isn't much residentail in the area within any kind of a reasonable walking distance so foot traffic, understandably, is going to be pretty thin.  Also, looking at the map, it would be more than a short extension along Centennial Parkway to bring the LRT from Eastgate Squre to the new station.  It's unfortunate that Hamilton will have three train stations but the LRT won't meet any of them, assuming the LRT goes ahead.

Transit connections?

2 minutes ago, Shaun said:

Transit connections?

One would hope.  For all the complaining out there that Go train stations are not located convenient to population centres, most of it's down to the fact that picking station sites is limited right out of the gate by where the existing train lines they run on are located which may or may not pass through residential neighbourhoods.  Running new mainline type railway to bring Go trains into residential neighbourhoods would be phenomenally expensive and unpleasant for everyone living near it.  Remember the stillborn idea to run Go trains into the west end of Toronto along Eglinton?

And so the "last mile" problem comes up again.  If you can't bring the Go train to where people live, that leaves two mainstream options.  One, bring transit connections to the Go station.  Easy with bus service.  More difficult with LRT or subways but still doable.  It's lamentable that the Hamilton LRT, if it were to get built, won't meet any of the two existing and third under construction Go stations.  And that leaves the second option.  The car.  The awful, awful car.  It isn't great but it's probably better for people to drive to the train station than all the way into downtown Toronto.

Anyways, unless I missed it, I just realized there's no projected opening date in the press release.  Not even a generic "expected to be open in 2025" type date range.

On 10/4/2022 at 1:23 PM, John Oke said:

Not that there isn't precedent for stations named for adjacent educational institutions. Ottawa has uOttawa and Carleton. Montreal has Berri-UQAM, Guy-Concordia, and Longueuil-Université de Sherbrooke. Calgary and Edmonton both have University stations; Calgary also has SAIT-AUA-Jubilee. KW's ION has U Waterloo and (Sir Wilfrid) Laurier-Waterloo Park.

14 hours ago, Mark Walton said:

Not that there isn't precedent for stations named for adjacent educational institutions. Ottawa has uOttawa and Carleton. Montreal has Berri-UQAM, Guy-Concordia, and Longueuil-Université de Sherbrooke. Calgary and Edmonton both have University stations; Calgary also has SAIT-AUA-Jubilee. KW's ION has U Waterloo and (Sir Wilfrid) Laurier-Waterloo Park.

This is not that, however.

Durham College has paid for the naming rights to the station. Not one of your examples have done that.

Also, to call Durham College "adjacent" to the station is laughable. It's adjacent like Steeles Ave. is adjacent to Lake Ontario.

Dan

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, H4 5600 said:

Spotted this MCI with a "41S SPECIAL" sign at bramalea GO. Anyone know what its for and where it goes? I have never seen it before, and couldnt find anything about a 41S in the 41 schedule.

Every route has an S-branch "Special" code programmed in. It is usually put up by drivers when there isn't a regular code available.

Looking on Transsee, 2487 is currently tracking on route 41A, which was introduced last month; it's possible that the bus didn't have the most recent codes programmed in, requiring the use of 41S instead.

• Thanks 1

On 10/6/2022 at 6:20 PM, Mark Walton said:

Mark, in your examples, can you tell us which ones are a 40-minute walk from the station to the campus. And that's the Whitby campus! The Oshawa campus of Durham College is almost a 10-km walk (over 2 hours 20 minutes) - it's a lot closer to the 407 than the 401!

It's about the same walk (distance) as f you called Metro Papineau as Metro Papineau-Université-de-Sherbrooke and expected people to walk across the Jacques Cartier Bridge.

From the Durham College in Oshawa to Oshawa GO would be like renaming Montreal-West Station to Montreal-West-UQAM station!

On 9/12/2022 at 12:41 PM, brianc1981 said:

According to a CSA I was talking to this morning GO is hopeful that by thanksgiving weekend they can proceed with service changes to the trains. He said LSE/LSW will be running 15 minute frequency until evening. LSW will be modified heavily for the next year or so in the evening times due to port credit construction so he said that the plan is 30 minutes until 10 then probably hourly after but LSE will maintain 30 minute frequency from 9 or so. Prior to 9 it should be 15-20 minute service after rush hour. He also said that weekends would be a little different. 30 minute service is planned from west harbour to Oshawa. But there would be trains every 30 minutes from Pickering to Oakville. So combined 15 minutes between Pickering and Oakville. I assume for events during weekends. 
The CSA also told me that there is supposed to be more service on the Kitchener line on weekends. Apparently hourly service Saturday and Sunday. As well as trains going to Kitchener every 2-3 hours. Also additional service to Kitchener Monday to Friday. These changes were all supposed to take place in September 2020 and were postponed then rescheduled for spring of this year but was postponed due to staffing issues. There are more changes that are scheduled but won’t take effect until either January or spring sometime. 
He was quite hopeful that these adjustments could happen next month as they don’t expect there to be as many gaps in service due to a lack of staff. Plus it sounds like to me having shorter trains or gap trains on weekends on lakeshore would make it easier if a train needs to be cancelled. 

Oh yeah, I asked a few CSA’s I know about this post a few weeks ago, I got a “no” from one and a “that’s bullshit” from another one. I would like to believe this but I do have my doubts that it’s true. Especially since it’s now thanksgiving weekend and we haven’t heard anything.