Jump to content

GO Transit


Enzo Aquarius
 Share

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, GTAmissions1 said:

Go Transit says that it should be up by tomorrow morning.

Especially since Labour Day is when they start reducing service. Though, I don't think it will be that massive like they did in the past due to COVID-19. It has been a major complaint that you can't select a trip after x day before the next service change.

Usually, most transit agencies put them out two weeks before the change date. 

GO is more likely to add more service than most agencies. The bus network had a substantial ridership base in post-secondary students, and with those schools now resuming in-class learning, there's going to be a lot of commuters returning. So I would expect a lot of service and trips to be returning to the routes that serve those schools. It's difficult for

The note about schedules not being available for Labour Day weekend is a valid point, as GO starts their board period on Saturdays which means the entire weekend schedule is unavailable. It's 1.5 weeks away (10 days) from the start of the long weekend, and casual users will be making other plans and commitments (not using transit) if they can't figure out the bus/train schedule. GO used to publish their updated schedules about 3 weeks in advance, but lately it's slipped down to 2 weeks (and even less for this one for unknown reasons).

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Gil said:

I don't know if the modified schedule for the Ex had anything to do with it or whether GO's figured out how to properly run their service, but when bus service on routes 21 and 31 were rerouted to Port Credit on Sunday night both branches of the respective routes were waiting when the train arrived. 

People had gotten so used to having to wait that there was a mad rush for the buses and the drivers had to repeatedly yell "Don't run!  We're waiting for you!".  Once the train had left and they were sure everyone who wanted a connecting bus got one did they signal for the drivers to leave.  The construction along Hurontario made for predicting arrival times tricky. 

Glad to see GO attempt to accommodate the passengers rather than their schedule with this latest detour.  The schedule's gone out the window already, no use trying to force it back into place.  Once the bus reached its first stop I could calculate how long approximately it would take to get to my stop.

In other news, I spotted 2 halves of a GO train seemingly waiting to be coupled together on the Obico sub south of Kipling this morning.  Is this a regular occurrence or a one-off?  Seems odd to be doing that there at that hour as I was catching the last inbound Milton train.

IMG_20220823_0905574.jpg

They could be testing signals. Or are you sure they aren't using the yard for storage?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Gil said:

In other news, I spotted 2 halves of a GO train seemingly waiting to be coupled together on the Obico sub south of Kipling this morning.  Is this a regular occurrence or a one-off?  Seems odd to be doing that there at that hour as I was catching the last inbound Milton train.

IMG_20220823_0905574.jpg

Training new crews. They will sometimes go up the Canpa to get them out of the way of service and the hostlers.

 

Dan

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, J. Hollingsworth said:

Perhaps there’s also delays in the technology front required for the new OnDemand service planned for launch in September to Northumberland

The pilot project is apparently being branded as a separate service/division of Metrolinx, not unlike Presto or UP. So its schedule should not affect the release of the other GO schedules. I don't know what the issue is, but it shouldn't be acceptable to delay releasing new schedules this late, especially given the magnitude of changes that will happen for September and the return of post-secondary classes.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Articulated said:

The pilot project is apparently being branded as a separate service/division of Metrolinx, not unlike Presto or UP. So its schedule should not affect the release of the other GO schedules. I don't know what the issue is, but it shouldn't be acceptable to delay releasing new schedules this late, especially given the magnitude of changes that will happen for September and the return of post-secondary classes.

I agree especially since the Barrie line is closing from the evening of September 9th until end of day September 11th. Trains resuming the morning of September 12th.

Those that normally take a train trip would most likely have to adjust their departure since the entire line would be replaced with buses. Taking much longer and requiring a transfer at either East Gwillimbury or Aurora Go. Somehow, they don't plan on bringing the 68D direct to Union via Highway 400 which would take a bit longer due to traffic, but avoid changing buses just to reach Union Station Bus Terminal. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, GTAmissions1 said:

I agree especially since the Barrie line is closing from the evening of September 9th until end of day September 11th. Trains resuming the morning of September 12th.

Those that normally take a train trip would most likely have to adjust their departure since the entire line would be replaced with buses. Taking much longer and requiring a transfer at either East Gwillimbury or Aurora Go. Somehow, they don't plan on bringing the 68D direct to Union via Highway 400 which would take a bit longer due to traffic, but avoid changing buses just to reach Union Station Bus Terminal. 

This has nothing to do with the delays to the release of the schedule. It sucks, and it's a bit of a regular occurrence, but that's about the limit of it.

 

Dan

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Go Transit is reducing the amount of time to activate an e-ticket from one year to one week effective September 6th. E-tickets purchased up until September 5th will be valid for one year including weekend day passes and weekend passes.

Most likely to reduce the amount of unactivated e-tickets in their database and those who purchased a large amount of passes in case the weekend passes get eliminated. Not many systems offer unlimited travel anywhere on their network the size of Go Transit. Especially for $10 for one day or $15 for two days. Three days if it is a long weekend.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here is an article in BlogTO about GO buses not being able to serve the downtown station. A simple yet complicated solution would be to run more trains. Especially in corridors that they own. This should include the Richmond Hill line to Langstaff or at least to Old Cummer when there is a subway closure on line 1.  I would be willing to pay extra to take the GO train downtown and be able to park my car at the GO station instead of getting on a shuttle bus. 

https://www.blogto.com/city/2022/08/weekend-traffic-go-buses-union/

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, Shaun said:

Here is an article in BlogTO about GO buses not being able to serve the downtown station. A simple yet complicated solution would be to run more trains. Especially in corridors that they own. This should include the Richmond Hill line to Langstaff or at least to Old Cummer when there is a subway closure on line 1.  I would be willing to pay extra to take the GO train downtown and be able to park my car at the GO station instead of getting on a shuttle bus. 

https://www.blogto.com/city/2022/08/weekend-traffic-go-buses-union/

 

I'm not surprised.  I read the article and the comments below and several people are totally right about Saturday.  It was a nightmare.  The Gardiner was jammed.  Lakeshore was jammed with a de-facto loss of a lane due to the right line being the unofficially designated Uber pickup/dropoff lane.  All of downtown was jammed.  My normal 1 hour-ish door to door commute to work took 3.5 hours including finding an alternate place to park.  For that amount of time, if I had gone the other way, I could've driven to work in Windsor including a civilized pit stop at one of the On Routes on the 401 instead of riding the brake pedal and trying to figure out where the closest washroom to the parking lot I was trying to get to was going to be.

I hate to say it but Go Transit was right to kibosh running buses into downtown.  They'd have all driven right smack into total gridlock and gotten stuck eventually leaving no service running.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

They should seriously think about implementing priority bus lanes on the Gardiner for GO buses. They're needed on a daily basis, and especially during the summer. Something along the lines of what is done in Montreal along the Champlain Bridge, with digitized lane signaling. The city owns the Gardiner too, so its not like they'd have to deal with any obstacles from the Provincial government, unless I'm missing something. 

I don't understand why people are okay with the status quo, to have the city jammed up with car traffic every weekend. Like, its not about to get any better and its a lose-lose for everyone involved. I love driving but I hate sitting in traffic. There's already relatively frequent bus service between the 16, 21 and 31, TOK and other providers, so the demand is clearly there and you could arguably make the case for increased frequency if the priority lane really picked up some ridership, but that's kind of self explanatory. Some will argue that you'd create more traffic if you closed off a lane for buses on the Gardiner, but adding a lane for cars wouldn't help, and quite frankly, making things easier for cars just isn't the way to go. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Shaun said:

Here is an article in BlogTO about GO buses not being able to serve the downtown station. A simple yet complicated solution would be to run more trains. Especially in corridors that they own. This should include the Richmond Hill line to Langstaff or at least to Old Cummer when there is a subway closure on line 1.  I would be willing to pay extra to take the GO train downtown and be able to park my car at the GO station instead of getting on a shuttle bus. 

https://www.blogto.com/city/2022/08/weekend-traffic-go-buses-union/

 

They don't have enough train crews to run the service they have now. How do you propose they run more trains then?

 

Dan

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, smallspy said:

They don't have enough train crews to run the service they have now. How do you propose they run more trains then?

 

Dan

Do they have enough crew on the weekend (with the other lines not running) to increase service at least between Union and Port Credit when western bus service gets re routed there?  It would at least cut down on the waiting for transfers since they seem intent on maintaining the outbound bus schedules along the rest of routes 21 and 31.

Question about GO Transit policy (are they listed online somewhere?): there's a driver I get on weekend mornings who always makes an announcement before getting onto the highway that GO has a no eating or drinking policy on any of their vehicles or facilities.  I've never heard this mentioned anywhere else and some stations sell food which would be a contravention of that policy unless it was stated you couldn't consume your purchase. 

I've seen the fare enforcement officers walk past people eating but will point out people who have their feet on the seats.  Is this actually one of GO's policies or bylaws or is the driver just trying to keep his bus clean by scaring passengers into compliance? 

(I do have a recording of his announcement but it's too big to attach here)

  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/30/2022 at 10:12 PM, Wayside Observer said:

I'm not surprised.  I read the article and the comments below and several people are totally right about Saturday.  It was a nightmare.  The Gardiner was jammed.  Lakeshore was jammed with a de-facto loss of a lane due to the right line being the unofficially designated Uber pickup/dropoff lane.  All of downtown was jammed.  My normal 1 hour-ish door to door commute to work took 3.5 hours including finding an alternate place to park.  For that amount of time, if I had gone the other way, I could've driven to work in Windsor including a civilized pit stop at one of the On Routes on the 401 instead of riding the brake pedal and trying to figure out where the closest washroom to the parking lot I was trying to get to was going to be.

I hate to say it but Go Transit was right to kibosh running buses into downtown.  They'd have all driven right smack into total gridlock and gotten stuck eventually leaving no service running.

A lot of concerts, conventions, matches and (most importantly) the CNE's return has led to more gridlock/congestion! Speaking of the CNE - it's too early to tell when the Labour Day weekend service for certain GO Train lines will be back. I remembered when GO ran extra GO Train service to serve the CNE on the Milton, Stouffvile and Kitchener (but not serving Kitchener GO but Georgetown GO) lines. Barrie passengers can connect with the connecting GO trains at Union that will take then to Exhibition GO.

In the event if there were more cancellations cancellations to the GO Train trips, I'm planning to seek an alternate route - either using the TTC or (worse) getting an Uber/Lyft/Taxi ride home (the latter, the taxi that is - will take me to an alternate place that will connect a TTC or GO station).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Gil said:

Question about GO Transit policy (are they listed online somewhere?): there's a driver I get on weekend mornings who always makes an announcement before getting onto the highway that GO has a no eating or drinking policy on any of their vehicles or facilities.  I've never heard this mentioned anywhere else and some stations sell food which would be a contravention of that policy unless it was stated you couldn't consume your purchase. 

I've seen the fare enforcement officers walk past people eating but will point out people who have their feet on the seats.  Is this actually one of GO's policies or bylaws or is the driver just trying to keep his bus clean by scaring passengers into compliance? 

(I do have a recording of his announcement but it's too big to attach here)

https://www.gotransit.com/en/about-us/benefits-of-taking

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, FutureHeartsJunkie said:

At last, I took this photo of one of GO Transit's double decker bus that appeared at the CNE in Toronto, Canada. It's wrapped for the mentioned destinations that you can go for the weekend passes. 

Fleet number is 8384. By the way, please feel free to use this for one of the in-house wikis.

20220903_165439.jpg

This is one way of marketing. Especially since $10 for one day or $15 for two days, three if a long weekend to go anywhere on the Go Transit network is a pretty good value. Just as long as you have a smartphone that is fully charged up along with mobile data. 

I remember when weekend trains were first piloted in Summer 2012 with only two trips to Toronto from Barrie and back. With additional trips between East Gwillimbury and Union Station with a connecting bus. Where as now, they have increased the frequency of weekend trains along Barrie to be more consistent between the full trips and shorter trips with a connecting bus to continue the full route. 

Some people plan for a whole day in another city where as others simply head down for an hour or two and head back home. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I ended up being burned by the 21 diversion to Port Credit this afternoon. The less charitable of you reading this story could say I did this to myself by not checking the service advisories before I went out, which is fair, but on the other hand, I shouldn't need to check a website to know about what diversion my bus is taking.

I took the 21B into Toronto and everything was going routine until the bus turned from the 401 onto the 403. I had no idea something was off; TransSee was showing all the buses were bound for Union, the sign said the bus was bound for Union, everything seemed a-ok. I've just come back from a 3 week holiday in Europe and I wondered if maybe in my absence Metrolinx had rerouted the 21B to Square One to provide a connection between there and Milton; while such a connection should of course exist, dragging the 21B off course for it would be a terrible idea and so on brand for Metrolinx. The bus doesn't turn into Square One and keeps going south. Getting up to ask the driver where tf we're actually going wasn't on the table as I was sat next to a sleeping passenger, but the closer we got to the lake the more baffled I became. Finally, the bus turned into Port Credit and the driver says we can catch the train into the city from there.

The fact that there was zero indication on the sign, no announcements from the driver or the robot lady living in the bus' attic is genuinely ludicrous. Apparently, the TTC doesn't show rerouted routes on their destination signs because they're afraid passengers will think it's a short turn and wait for the next bus to the correct destination which will never come. I assume GO has the same, or a similar, reason for doing this, but in all circumstances the fact that they can get away with this lack of information is absolutely astounding to me. The gold standard for diversion signage is in Brno, Czechia; I mocked up this display in their style back in 2016 when I was criticizing the TTC for doing just this very thing when Exhibition Loop was closed to streetcars, and they were short turning at Fleet (Lighthouse) Loop. The sign indicates where the vehicle is going, as well as quickly showing that the intended destination of the service can be accessed via a bus connection. Internal announcements could be used to explain just why exactly this is happening. Every major city of the world I've travelled to uses the destination signs to indicate in some way that the vehicle is going somewhere else or doing something differently; why, oh, why does Toronto always have to deviate from the norm?

image.thumb.png.20f3b1416412bd7a9b4f527d99d1e888.png

On the way back the bus used the QEW and Erin Mills Parkway, leaving out the stops north of Millcreek Drive. I have no idea what the plan is for anyone who needed to get there. All in all a complete shambles. And never mind me, what if it's an old person with issues using the internet that got caught up in all this confusion? If the TTC and Metrolinx devoted a fraction of the time to wayfinding and communication that they devote to branding and other pointless wastes of time, we'd be a lot better off than we are currently.

As an aside, the SuperLo double deckers are probably the worst transit vehicle I have ever ridden. The soundproofing in the interior is virtually non existent (a plane is quieter), there is zero padding in the flip up seats for wheelchairs, and every bump is absolutely BONE SHATTERING. I'm old enough to remember the Fishbowls, and at their very worst were never as bad as the double deckers. And those were 30 year old buses; what excuse do these much newer things have?

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, T3G said:

I ended up being burned by the 21 diversion to Port Credit this afternoon. The less charitable of you reading this story could say I did this to myself by not checking the service advisories before I went out, which is fair, but on the other hand, I shouldn't need to check a website to know about what diversion my bus is taking.

I took the 21B into Toronto and everything was going routine until the bus turned from the 401 onto the 403. I had no idea something was off; TransSee was showing all the buses were bound for Union, the sign said the bus was bound for Union, everything seemed a-ok. I've just come back from a 3 week holiday in Europe and I wondered if maybe in my absence Metrolinx had rerouted the 21B to Square One to provide a connection between there and Milton; while such a connection should of course exist, dragging the 21B off course for it would be a terrible idea and so on brand for Metrolinx. The bus doesn't turn into Square One and keeps going south. Getting up to ask the driver where tf we're actually going wasn't on the table as I was sat next to a sleeping passenger, but the closer we got to the lake the more baffled I became. Finally, the bus turned into Port Credit and the driver says we can catch the train into the city from there.

The fact that there was zero indication on the sign, no announcements from the driver or the robot lady living in the bus' attic is genuinely ludicrous. Apparently, the TTC doesn't show rerouted routes on their destination signs because they're afraid passengers will think it's a short turn and wait for the next bus to the correct destination which will never come. I assume GO has the same, or a similar, reason for doing this, but in all circumstances the fact that they can get away with this lack of information is absolutely astounding to me. The gold standard for diversion signage is in Brno, Czechia; I mocked up this display in their style back in 2016 when I was criticizing the TTC for doing just this very thing when Exhibition Loop was closed to streetcars, and they were short turning at Fleet (Lighthouse) Loop. The sign indicates where the vehicle is going, as well as quickly showing that the intended destination of the service can be accessed via a bus connection. Internal announcements could be used to explain just why exactly this is happening. Every major city of the world I've travelled to uses the destination signs to indicate in some way that the vehicle is going somewhere else or doing something differently; why, oh, why does Toronto always have to deviate from the norm?

image.thumb.png.20f3b1416412bd7a9b4f527d99d1e888.png

On the way back the bus used the QEW and Erin Mills Parkway, leaving out the stops north of Millcreek Drive. I have no idea what the plan is for anyone who needed to get there. All in all a complete shambles. And never mind me, what if it's an old person with issues using the internet that got caught up in all this confusion? If the TTC and Metrolinx devoted a fraction of the time to wayfinding and communication that they devote to branding and other pointless wastes of time, we'd be a lot better off than we are currently.

As an aside, the SuperLo double deckers are probably the worst transit vehicle I have ever ridden. The soundproofing in the interior is virtually non existent (a plane is quieter), there is zero padding in the flip up seats for wheelchairs, and every bump is absolutely BONE SHATTERING. I'm old enough to remember the Fishbowls, and at their very worst were never as bad as the double deckers. And those were 30 year old buses; what excuse do these much newer things have?

Go Transit detours buses IF there are problems accessing Union Station Bus Terminal. Route 21 and 31 were detoured to Port Credit Go Station to connect with the Lakeshore West trains connecting to Union Station. Today, tomorrow and possibly Labour Day. 

Route 16 Hamilton Express terminates at Aldershot Go. It was previously Port Credit Go, but I guess it was more efficient to pretty much turn it into an 18 which provides similar service between Hamilton Go and Aldershot Go Station.

Usually, if the bus is on detour, the operator would ask where you are going or make an announcement. I know the last time when I took a similar detour (68D re-routed to Highway 407 Terminal), the operator would ask every single passenger if they wanted Union, they would have to transfer to the subway when the bus terminates at 407 Terminal. Showing Go Transit e-ticket or a Presto card to continue on TTC via Line 1. This is along with making another announcement closer to the terminus.

Go Transit also cancelled train trips on Barrie and Stouvfille which most people may not read the departure sign, check online or subscribe to service alerts via text message. Especially if it shows from Union to the terminus station or vice versa, someone may not be aware that train isn't coming. 

I can understand your frustrations especially with how it can be difficult to plan around some detours. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...