GO Transit

Enzo Aquarius

43 minutes ago, MCIBUS said:

Route 16 TOR-HAM QEW Express?

I get GO Alerts to my computer, just curious why is Route 16 has so many delays? From leaving the terminal, runs being canceled, to delays on trip?

I can understand the trip delay due to traffic or weather conditions, but why the delay in leaving the terminal? As for canceled trip that could be because of unseen circumstances?

Not sure if other routes or train trips have the same as many issues as Route 16, that I don't know.

Any thoughts?

The route runs along a very busy highway with minimal ability to detour should things get very bad.

On top of that, because it parallels an existing (but slower) train route, it is also the first service cancelled should equipment be needed elsewhere.

Dan

@smallspy

Thanks not living in the GTA I don't know the routes or train service. I really don't know the traffic conditions either then from what I see on CP24, City News, CHCH or Global TV. So not sure of highway or local road conditions?

• Confused 1

On 7/31/2022 at 1:00 PM, Shaun said:

I have a question about the New Toronto bus terminal. The reason for the spotters is to ensure that it is safe for buses to enter the terminal? 

Is this a permanent solution?

Hmmmm.... Not that I'm aware of. Ever since that new bus terminal opened, the spotters are still there for a reason (unless there's a recent change). The last instance I saw was back in April 2022 (When I attended a food 'n drink show down at the Metro Toronto Convention Centre). 

With the CNE coming back in the next couple of weeks (yes, I know and it's coming back after a 2-year hiatus), I don't know what GO is forecasting when it comes to service... 

49 minutes ago, MCIBUS said:

@smallspy

Thanks not living in the GTA I don't know the routes or train service. I really don't know the traffic conditions either then from what I see on CP24, City News, CHCH or Global TV. So not sure of highway or local road conditions?

Route 16: Hamilton Express mostly operates on the QEW or Queen Elizabeth Highway which can get congested especially during the summer travel season. 

The alternative is taking Lakeshore West to Aldershot Go Station and taking the 18 which would connect to Hamilton Go Centre. Which involves a transfer, but the 18 does hold for transfers if the train is delayed. 

I took the Hamilton Express once round trip and it is a one seat ride between Hamilton Go Centre and Union Station Bus Terminal. Only a handful of stops locally in Hamilton before or after exiting the highway. Get between Toronto and Hamilton around an hour  on the 16 versus 1 hour and 40 minutes with the 18 and Lakeshore West train.

Well when I visit relatives in Hamilton I usually take the GO Bus route 16, I've really haven't  ridden on a GO Train so don't what the experience is like? I don't know the GTA that well, basically(when I see my friend in Toronto) I've only know the GO Bus TOR-HAM Express and the TTC Subway Dundas Station to Finch Station either then that don't know GTA transit systems at all?

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, MCIBUS said:

Well when I visit relatives in Hamilton I usually take the GO Bus route 16, I've really haven't  ridden on a GO Train so don't what the experience is like? I don't know the GTA that well, basically(when I see my friend in Toronto) I've only know the GO Bus TOR-HAM Express and the TTC Subway Dundas Station to Finch Station either then that don't know GTA transit systems at all?

Regarding taking the Go Train, you have to purchase a ticket that covers your starting and ending destination. Ticket machines are available at all major transit stations and train stations. You simply retain it for inspection if asked by the revenue protection officer. If boarding from Union Station, they have departure screens that show which platform the trains depart from 10 to 20 minutes before departure. 

If using a Presto card, you tap when you board the bus or the station you intend to board. Getting off, you tap when you disembark from the bus or the station you are getting off at.

Taking the train is a lot more spacious especially since there are more doors to board and exit. You also have to make sure you are in the correct section since some trips may run a shorter amount of coaches. The lowest is six coaches which there are signs that indicate where the cut-off point for six coaches is. There is an accessible coach at the centre being the 5th car and the one with the ramp. This is also where the customer service ambassador is and they announce all stops and provide assistance to those who have disabilities. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, GTAmissions1 said:

Regarding taking the Go Train, you have to purchase a ticket that covers your starting and ending destination. Ticket machines are available at all major transit stations and train stations. You simply retain it for inspection if asked by the revenue protection officer. If boarding from Union Station, they have departure screens that show which platform the trains depart from 10 to 20 minutes before departure. 

If using a Presto card, you tap when you board the bus or the station you intend to board. Getting off, you tap when you disembark from the bus or the station you are getting off at.

Taking the train is a lot more spacious especially since there are more doors to board and exit. You also have to make sure you are in the correct section since some trips may run a shorter amount of coaches. The lowest is six coaches which there are signs that indicate where the cut-off point for six coaches is. There is an accessible coach at the centre being the 5th car and the one with the ramp. This is also where the customer service ambassador is and they announce all stops and provide assistance to those who have disabilities. 

What's more, unlike the GO buses - GO trains have a washroom (restroom) onboard as well. Some GO train coaches also have electrical outlets in which you can plug in your laptop or even recharge your mobile device like your smartphone, tablet or laptop!

On a serious note, many of the GO Train stations have recently (or have) temporarily stopped in-person ticket sales (not sure if it's due to covid) but at least their have a station ambassador who can answer your transit-related needs (as I had mentioned in my earlier posts in this thread). 

If you haven't took the GO train or bus (and/or haven't load your PRESTO card in a while), that station ambassador will advise you to buy a ticket or load your PRESTO Card at a machine. They are some exceptions though: if you wanted to program(me) your PRESTO Card to a student or senior rate, they will be more than happy to accomodate that request. 

1 hour ago, John Oke said:

This would more or less include anyone who’s not contracted out to Alstom to operate the trains 

And if the strike doesn't get you, the COVID-19 will.  Metrolinx warns riders to expect cancellations in next 2 weeks due to COVID-19

Even if Metrolinx is giving out deals to large downtown employers to lure people back on the train, getting choice riders back is not going to be easy with those two items weighing against it.

• Sad 2

5 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

And if the strike doesn't get you, the COVID-19 will.  Metrolinx warns riders to expect cancellations in next 2 weeks due to COVID-19

Even if Metrolinx is giving out deals to large downtown employers to lure people back on the train, getting choice riders back is not going to be easy with those two items weighing against it.

Hoping that these new developments - won't impact certain special events like (incl. but not ltd. to) the CNE (Canadian National Exhibition), FanExpo - among other events in terms of the ridership.. 

3 hours ago, FutureHeartsJunkie said:

Hoping that these new developments - won't impact certain special events like (incl. but not ltd. to) the CNE (Canadian National Exhibition), FanExpo - among other events in terms of the ridership.. 

That raises an interesting question.  Everyone's reporting about the 93% strike mandate but I haven't come across anything that says what the strike deadline is when the union withdraws labour if an agreement has not been reached.  Cancellations due to illness are pretty much down to what can be run with the people on hand but the possibility of a strike is really up to the negotiating teams from ATU and Metrolinx hashing something out in a hotel conference room somewhere.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

That raises an interesting question.  Everyone's reporting about the 93% strike mandate but I haven't come across anything that says what the strike deadline is when the union withdraws labour if an agreement has not been reached.  Cancellations due to illness are pretty much down to what can be run with the people on hand but the possibility of a strike is really up to the negotiating teams from ATU and Metrolinx hashing something out in a hotel conference room somewhere.

Hold on, I think that you're conflating two different problems.

The ATU strike mandate is for the station attendants, bus drivers, etc. They have not yet given a strike deadline. And while yes, COVID has been a problem here, their staffing levels have been high enough that there haven't been a huge rash of cancellations.

The cancellations due to illness are on the rail side of things, and all of the crews running the trains are employees of Alstom who are then paid to run the trains. They are not subject to this strike mandate, although they are currently in the process of negotiating their own contract with their employer. Staffing levels here have been much tighter, so much so that several dozen trains have been cancelled over the past several weekends due to not enough crews.

Dan

Just In: a fully-wrapped GO bus will be making an appearance at this year's CNE (Canadian National Exhibition) in Toronto. 

The particular bus that will be featured - is not yet known. I'm hoping that one of the newer double-deckers (with seatbelts) that GO has in their fleet - will make an appearance! 

There was a time in which a fully-wrapped D4500 series GO Bus was wrapped with the "Kids GO Free" promo back in 2019 (that same bus made an appearance at the CNE that year). 

Source: https://blog.metrolinx.com/2022/08/16/the-cne-is-back-heres-how-go-transit-can-get-you-there/

• Like 1

On 8/9/2022 at 9:27 AM, smallspy said:

Hold on, I think that you're conflating two different problems.

The ATU strike mandate is for the station attendants, bus drivers, etc. They have not yet given a strike deadline. And while yes, COVID has been a problem here, their staffing levels have been high enough that there haven't been a huge rash of cancellations.

The cancellations due to illness are on the rail side of things, and all of the crews running the trains are employees of Alstom who are then paid to run the trains. They are not subject to this strike mandate, although they are currently in the process of negotiating their own contract with their employer. Staffing levels here have been much tighter, so much so that several dozen trains have been cancelled over the past several weekends due to not enough crews.

Dan

and thats why people hate unions and rightfully so... before they even start heavy negotiations they already push their members to voting for a strike mandate as leverage. union heads are the scum of the earth when it comes to the bargaining table

5 minutes ago, Ber said:

and thats why people hate unions and rightfully so... before they even start heavy negotiations they already push their members to voting for a strike mandate as leverage. union heads are the scum of the earth when it comes to the bargaining table

Are you sure about that? Anytime a union pushing a “strike mandate” it’s usually after months of internal talks going nowhere, union and management not meeting eye to eye and constant frustration from all on the union side. 

with GO transit and their ATU voting so heavily for a strike that tells you the staff are disgruntled and not happy with the way things are going and they have every right to vote to strike. You can also have a strike mandate vote with no intention of a immediate strike, it’s to show management that ATU operators are not afraid to walk off the job 

as for hating the unions, people can hate all they want but without a strong union you have operators making under 25/hr for what is now considered a skilled trades job. You also don’t get perks like with my agency our contract states we get every 2nd Sunday off.. and that’s something unions do for their members 

42 minutes ago, Ber said:

I didn’t know Jimmy Hoffa molested you as a child.

The “bad faith negotiation” knife cuts both ways.    “Lockout” is strike spun around 180 degrees. Enjoy your front row seat at the hunger games. Today’s spectators are tomorrow’s contestants.

31 minutes ago, ZümmyZüm said:

as for hating the unions, people can hate all they want but without a strong union you have operators making under 25/hr for what is now considered a skilled trades job. You also don’t get perks like with my agency our contract states we get every 2nd Sunday off.. and that’s something unions do for their members 

Easy there.
Being a bus operator is a skilled job, requiring a upgraded driver’s licence, but it is not a registered skilled trade.

Being an operator does not require 4 years of training.

I went to the CNE in Toronto on Saturday (August 20, 2022) and happened to stop by the GO Transit tent down at the CNE midway.

There were some people working at that tent promoting some of the places that you can use for the weekend passes GO has heavily promoted. 

It's not just leisure travellers who wanted to reel in those passes - even business travellers can take advantage of it,  too. 

As for the GO Bus that made an appearance down at the CNE - it was a double decker GO bus wrapped with the promo for the weekend passes. Regrettably, I didn't get a photo of that bus. 

10 hours ago, Bus_Medic said:

I didn’t know Jimmy Hoffa molested you as a child.

The “bad faith negotiation” knife cuts both ways.    “Lockout” is strike spun around 180 degrees. Enjoy your front row seat at the hunger games. Today’s spectators are tomorrow’s contestants.

Easy there.
Being a bus operator is a skilled job, requiring a upgraded driver’s licence, but it is not a registered skilled trade.

Being an operator does not require 4 years of training.

Very true, skilled trades in the sense it’s more than hammering a nail and thus pays more. Defiantly not at the same level as a 310T 

I don't know if the modified schedule for the Ex had anything to do with it or whether GO's figured out how to properly run their service, but when bus service on routes 21 and 31 were rerouted to Port Credit on Sunday night both branches of the respective routes were waiting when the train arrived. 

People had gotten so used to having to wait that there was a mad rush for the buses and the drivers had to repeatedly yell "Don't run!  We're waiting for you!".  Once the train had left and they were sure everyone who wanted a connecting bus got one did they signal for the drivers to leave.  The construction along Hurontario made for predicting arrival times tricky. 

Glad to see GO attempt to accommodate the passengers rather than their schedule with this latest detour.  The schedule's gone out the window already, no use trying to force it back into place.  Once the bus reached its first stop I could calculate how long approximately it would take to get to my stop.

In other news, I spotted 2 halves of a GO train seemingly waiting to be coupled together on the Obico sub south of Kipling this morning.  Is this a regular occurrence or a one-off?  Seems odd to be doing that there at that hour as I was catching the last inbound Milton train.

IMG_20220823_0905574.jpg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Gil said:

I don't know if the modified schedule for the Ex had anything to do with it or whether GO's figured out how to properly run their service, but when bus service on routes 21 and 31 were rerouted to Port Credit on Sunday night both branches of the respective routes were waiting when the train arrived. 

People had gotten so used to having to wait that there was a mad rush for the buses and the drivers had to repeatedly yell "Don't run!  We're waiting for you!".  Once the train had left and they were sure everyone who wanted a connecting bus got one did they signal for the drivers to leave.  The construction along Hurontario made for predicting arrival times tricky. 

Glad to see GO attempt to accommodate the passengers rather than their schedule with this latest detour.  The schedule's gone out the window already, no use trying to force it back into place.  Once the bus reached its first stop I could calculate how long approximately it would take to get to my stop.

Go Transit usually tries to schedule bus connections with trains to hold in case of delay. Though with unplanned detours, they usually account a certain amount of time between the nearest terminus point and Union Station. With 407 Terminal to Union Station Bus Terminal, it would be around an hour when I took the 68D would be eliminated from the regular schedule.

I know in 2019 (three years ago), they added an additional bus on the 68 to Barrie to handle the CNE crowds in the evening when I was out. This is along with a supervisor present to determine if they will add the cover bus.

2 minutes ago, newflyerinvero said:

Is it just me, or is it a bit unusual to not have an announcement for September changes by now?

Go Transit says that it should be up by tomorrow morning.

Especially since Labour Day is when they start reducing service. Though, I don't think it will be that massive like they did in the past due to COVID-19. It has been a major complaint that you can't select a trip after x day before the next service change.

Usually, most transit agencies put them out two weeks before the change date. 

• Like 1