Jump to content

GO Transit


Enzo Aquarius
 Share

Recommended Posts

15 hours ago, nfitz said:

I thought the section in question was Metrolinx-owned?

It is.

 

But just because Metrolinx owns it doesn't mean that it automatically looses its federal regulation. As I understand it they tried that stunt, and TC said "nay nay".

 

Dan

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Shaun said:

I wonder why it didnt go to ONR?

The BiLevels were made by Bombardier whose rail division is now owned by Alstom. Probably just a simple matter (from Alstom's angle) of convincing the government to call in basically the procurement version of an OEM repair.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, wowzhao said:

The BiLevels were made by Bombardier whose rail division is now owned by Alstom. Probably just a simple matter (from Alstom's angle) of convincing the government to call in basically the procurement version of an OEM repair.

Sure, but they haven't hesitated to award contracts to ONR or CAD in the past. Really, there are only two reasons: It was cheapest, or it's an election year and work at the Thunder Bay plant is drying up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, smallspy said:

But just because Metrolinx owns it doesn't mean that it automatically looses its federal regulation. As I understand it they tried that stunt, and TC said "nay nay".

I thought did exactly that these days as (unlike TTR), no longer appears on the list of federally certified railways - https://otc-cta.gc.ca/eng/federal-railway-companies

Not that it completely absolves them - but it does significantly reduce the amount of federal oversight (my MP reminded me, when discussing the Lakeshore East widening).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So it looks like the investigation is still ongoing and the line won't open until at least after the weekend. 

I don't see a hopper car carrying gravel with a bottom opening can flip over unless the rocks didn't evenly slide down the hopper and got stuck on one side making it heavier on one side causing it to tip over. 

Sounds like a freak accident. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Cityflyer said:

The original story that MSN lifted their information from came from the CBC which has a bit more detail:  Metrolinx pauses plans to electrify rail through Guelph

I don't know the area well enough to be able to comment about not being able to find a suitable substation location but the freight service part, that intrigues me.  CN and CP are well known to be hostile to electrification.  The fact of the matter is the mainline railways in Canada burn an awful lot of diesel and in these climate change times, it makes sense to electrify the heavy use trunk lines to save the lion's share of the fuel consumption and resultant carbon emissions, which would also solve Metrolinx and AMT etc's problems with wanting to electrify but main line railway companies saying no.  Yet there's no policy out of the federal government in terms of incentive or regulatory requirement even though mainline railways are federally regulated.  The silence on railway electrification with the secondary effect of leaving agencies like AMT and Metrolinx in the lurch on it when it comes to dealing with CN and CP is strange given what the stated position of Trudeau and company on the environment is.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Shaun said:

How much service did they see after rebuild before being put into storage?

2012-early 2020 it seems. GO doesn’t rebuild their buses, just a minor refresh with paint and sheet metal if need be. 
 

this too, is just a red wrap over the GO scheme.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, ORION said:

2012-early 2020 it seems. GO doesn’t rebuild their buses, just a minor refresh with paint and sheet metal if need be. 
 

this too, is just a red wrap over the GO scheme.

I'm sure they get work done on the engine and transmission as well as suspension components. Did they get new seats?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/3/2021 at 10:22 PM, Wayside Observer said:

The original story that MSN lifted their information from came from the CBC which has a bit more detail:  Metrolinx pauses plans to electrify rail through Guelph

I don't know the area well enough to be able to comment about not being able to find a suitable substation location but the freight service part, that intrigues me.  CN and CP are well known to be hostile to electrification.  The fact of the matter is the mainline railways in Canada burn an awful lot of diesel and in these climate change times, it makes sense to electrify the heavy use trunk lines to save the lion's share of the fuel consumption and resultant carbon emissions, which would also solve Metrolinx and AMT etc's problems with wanting to electrify but main line railway companies saying no.  Yet there's no policy out of the federal government in terms of incentive or regulatory requirement even though mainline railways are federally regulated.  The silence on railway electrification with the secondary effect of leaving agencies like AMT and Metrolinx in the lurch on it when it comes to dealing with CN and CP is strange given what the stated position of Trudeau and company on the environment is.

AMT got around that by buying the Deux-Montagnes Sub from CN in early 2017. About 6 months later the operations side became officially RTM, then rebranded as exo a year later.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/9/2021 at 8:15 AM, Shaun said:

Do these need a special exemption to get a permit since they are not the go anywhere kind?

IIRC anything 8100 and up are go-anywhere type. That 8205 also certainly looks like go-anywhere to me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Buurin said:

IIRC anything 8100 and up are go-anywhere type. That 8205 also certainly looks like go-anywhere to me.

They couldn't go everywhere. There were a number of routes they could not be on because of height restrictions. But were not as restricted as the 8000 series. Pretty sure he has the last batch or a good number of the best conditions.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm not sure of the height of those GO Double Decker buses your referring to but if they where the same height of or OC 1201-3 test buses OC had, BC Transit bought them so it's possible they might buy them or perhaps Las Vegas Transit they also have Double Deckers (not sure of their height though?)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...