GO Transit

Enzo Aquarius

I think this will be announced soon so customers can get ready for the launch. I heard it’s 2 trips per day in each direction. Plus an extended route 30 bus. The 29 and 25 buses are supposed to go to Kipling at the same time. There is also apparently going to be a bus from Guelph to Kitchener and London. Possibly stopping in Woodstock. Another change that’s coming will be more service to Guelph from Hamilton and Aldershot. 

37 minutes ago, brianc1981 said:

I think this will be announced soon so customers can get ready for the launch.

You'd think so ... but with Metrolinx, political circumstances will always outweigh good customer service. What if the minister is on vacation? :)

Though someone here had said it may be October not September this starts.

1 hour ago, brianc1981 said:

I think this will be announced soon so customers can get ready for the launch. I heard it’s 2 trips per day in each direction. Plus an extended route 30 bus. The 29 and 25 buses are supposed to go to Kipling at the same time. There is also apparently going to be a bus from Guelph to Kitchener and London. Possibly stopping in Woodstock. Another change that’s coming will be more service to Guelph from Hamilton and Aldershot. 

Will it make any stops between Kitchener and London? 

1 hour ago, John Oke said:

Will it make any stops between Kitchener and London? 

The train would follow the VIA route. It should stop in Stratford, St. Mary's and then London.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, G.A said:

The train would follow the VIA route. It should stop in Stratford, St. Mary's and then London.

Given how many years (decades?) GO has been talking about adding a station at Baden (not to mention Breslau), it's a shame they don't add a handful of stops. Shakespeare? London International?

Has anyone been onboard the GO buses recently - only to find out that there's a "contactless card reader" onboard on the buses? 

I'm not talking about the Presto Card readers but the ones that reads regular credit/debit cards (and mobile wallets/smart watches). I've seen a few buses that have that. 

Sadly, there's little information mentioned on the GO Transit website about those readers (and ways to pay for your fare). 

Edited by FutureHeartsJunkie
Adding supporting information

2 hours ago, FutureHeartsJunkie said:

Has anyone been onboard the GO buses recently - only to find out that there's a "contactless card reader" onboard on the buses? 

I'm not talking about the Presto Card readers but the ones that reads regular credit/debit cards (and mobile wallets/smart watches). I've seen a few buses that have that. 

Sadly, there's little information mentioned on the GO Transit website about those readers (and ways to pay for your fare). 

According to the driver, you are able to buy a ticket onboard using a credit or debit card with that reader (it gets printed out), but it is discouraged, as it slows down the bus. Cash was accepted prior to COVID-19, but it is no longer accepted.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nfitz said:

Given how many years (decades?) GO has been talking about adding a station at Baden (not to mention Breslau), it's a shame they don't add a handful of stops. Shakespeare? London International?

They did mention a station in Breslau for the all day service. There was a small rumor of a station in Rockwood as well. If it made all these small stops, that would help these small towns interconnect. The only question would remain until it's out in the open. If you have to transfer in Kitchener to the London train or it goes all the way from Union to London.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, G.A said:

They did mention a station in Breslau for the all day service.

They were working on the EA for both Baden and Breslau at one point ... I thought it was completed well over a decade ago. I've never heard anything from GO or Metrolinx about Rockwood.

Though now I think about, Baden might have slipped further east, closer to Petersburg ... or even Trussler Rd. There was a lot of Nimby reaction during the consultation.

25 minutes ago, drevil0208 said:

This looks like by far the biggest service increase since all of the cuts due to Covid. I wonder if this may mark the return to service of all the 8100 series buses that have been stored. 

That remains to be seen. There is certainly a significant increase in service, with most routes seeing a service increase, and returning to either pre-pandemic or close to pre-pandemic service levels it seems. However, the main routes that operated the DDL/8100-series buses (the Highway 407 corridor) is still on reduced schedules, and are seeing barely any service improvements; the regular school trippers (and especially the extra Friday trips) have not returned. Much of the service growth this round is during the off-peak hours, which typically doesn't require extra buses.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 110B West Pickering said:

One benefit I see is how there is an afternoon weekday trip on the Barrie line making all stops between Allandale Waterfront and Union Station starting at 1:08 PM. The other option is taking Ontario Northland or taking the regular bus and transfer to the train at Aurora. Which adds more time since it services the local stops.

Go Transit has expanded service options over the years especially with more train trips and direct service where possible. Of course, they it comes at a cost to attract the demand to use the service. Offering options such as the weekend pass and one day weekend pass to encourage people to travel on the lower periods.

• Thanks 1

It's great to see how much train service will be coming into and out of Hamilton now that the regular service at Hunter will be restored, plus some of the Niagara Falls service restored to West Harbour. I plan to take both in the next month and I'm excited to see how the ridership looks.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, John Oke said:

Don’t know if anyone noticed, but there will be no LSE Express Trains until August 2024 because of construction for the new East Harbour Station as the express track will have to be removed. 

It seems that people who were planning to be back in the office in the future will have to find other ways on getting to/from downtown (and to find a time that matches their office start time). 

Not all people don't have the flexibility to work from home (and even learning at home). 

I'm lucky for myself - I get to work from home almost every day (unless they called me back to the office - either full-time or in a hybrid-model). 

On 8/27/2021 at 9:13 PM, FutureHeartsJunkie said:

It seems that people who were planning to be back in the office in the future will have to find other ways on getting to/from downtown (and to find a time that matches their office start time). 

Not all people don't have the flexibility to work from home (and even learning at home). 

I'm lucky for myself - I get to work from home almost every day (unless they called me back to the office - either full-time or in a hybrid-model). 

So that means from Danforth there are only two tracks available to Union?

7 hours ago, Shaun said:

So that means from Danforth there are only two tracks available to Union?

Unfortunately, I haven't passed through that area during my recent weekend outing to Toronto a few weeks ago. 

However, it is likely that there will be a reduction of tracks along that area - unless someone launches a petition to restore the LSE express trains! 

11 hours ago, PCC Guy said:

Good luck with that.

Well....it's not something that I (or someone else would consider launching - reminds me when I did a grassroots campaign for the Ontario government demanding to offer a non-drivers photo ID card in the form of a Facebook group (which has since been shuttered) coupled by a petition launched by a former MPP (Member of Provincial Parliament) of Ontario. My campaign along with the other remains separate for unrelated reasons - please leave your political opinions where they belong). 

tenor.gif

on another note, GO Transit is (somewhat) restoring (though extending) their operating hours at train ststions/bus terminals this week (for buying train tickets, reload presto cards, etc.).

The station hours will be extended to now close at 8pm.on weeknights and weekends. 

This will take effect this upcoming labour day weekend. 

56 minutes ago, FutureHeartsJunkie said:

Well....it's not something that I (or someone else would consider launching - reminds me when I did a grassroots campaign for the Ontario government demanding to offer a non-drivers photo ID card in the form of a Facebook group (which has since been shuttered) coupled by a petition launched by a former MPP (Member of Provincial Parliament) of Ontario. My campaign along with the other remains separate for unrelated reasons - please leave your political opinions where they belong).

Was there a period of time between the Ontario age of majority card and the Ontario photo ID card where there was nothing except driver's licenses?

• Confused 1

36 minutes ago, Wayside Observer said:

Was there a period of time between the Ontario age of majority card and the Ontario photo ID card where there was nothing except driver's licenses?

I don't think so because LCBO is still issuing the BYID (bring your own identification) card currently. Of course it is a challenge to get it accepted since it doesn't show the address or other identifying info other than proof of age and photo. 

The Ontario Photo ID card came into effect July 2011 which is more standard and similar to a driver's license except the colour is purple. With some businesses such as banks being strict and not providing any info or process a transaction without valid photo ID. To verify the accountholder and cross-referencing with the correct documents.

• Thanks 1