GO Transit

Enzo Aquarius

Go Transit bus service changes effective May 1st (the list is pretty long):

Route 15 Brantford/Burlington: 15A trips on weekdays to McMaster University are suspended due to classes not running in-class

Route 16 Hamilton Express: Hourly service on weekdays except for peak periods and all day weekends. Service provided from Hamilton Go/West Harbour in the AM peak to Union and from Union to Hamilton Go/West Harbour during the PM peak/connection to Route 18 to connect to Lakeshore West train

Route 19 Square One/Finch: Frequency every two hours weekday late evenings with 8:10 PM until 12:10 AM from Square One and 8:50 PM until 12:50 AM from Finch. 

Route 21 Milton: Select trips will be combined which may involve serving more stops taking a bit longer.

Route 25 Mississauga/Waterloo: Schedule adjustments. 

Route 27 Milton/North York: Service reduced to hourly during the weekday daytime and every 2 hours during late evening. Service to York Mills Station will be discontinued.

Route 29 Guelph/Mississauga: Schedule adjustments and weekday late evening frequency reduced to every 2 hours. Last trip from Guelph Go Station is 10:20 PM and Square One at 12:20 AM. 

Route 31 Kitchener: On-request stop changed to between Mount Pleasant Go and Georgetown Go Station during late evenings on the 31E branch. 

Route 32 Brampton/North York: Rush hour service reduced to hourly along with schedule adjustments 

Route 34 Pearson/North York: Schedule adjustments 

Route 36 Brampton/North York: Schedule adjustment 

Route 40 Richmond Hill/Pearson: Late evening weekday service reduced to operating every two hours. 1:05 AM from Hamilton Go and 1:15 AM from Richmond Hill Centre. Resuming just after 3 AM the next day. 

Route 41 Hamilton/Pickering and Route 45 Streetsville/Square One/Highway 407 Terminal: Schedule adjustments 

Route 47 Hamilton/Highway 407 Terminal: Schedule adjustments and platform change at Square One from Platform 9 to Platform 8

Route 48 Highway 407: Schedule adjustments 

Route 54 Mt. Joy/407 Terminal: Schedule adjustments 

Route 66 East Gwillimbury/Yorkdale: Schedule adjustments 

Route 67 Keswick/North York: 12:10 PM and 3:10 PM afternoon weekday departures suspended 

Route 92 Whitby/Finch and Route 96 Oshawa/Finch: Schedule adjustments 

Final comments:

The biggest adjustment I noticed is the two hour frequency during late evenings when ridership is lower. I know off-hand Route 66 Yorkdale/East Gwillimbury Express operates every two hours during the daytime outside of peak periods. Being a challenge if waiting for a departure and two hours is a pretty long wait. It also depends on other options available such as local transit or routes available.

Having to manage costs with the current pandemic situation with the lower ridership. 

Edited by GTAmissions1
fixing typos

6 minutes ago, GTAmissions1 said:

Final comments:

The biggest adjustment I noticed is the two hour frequency during late evenings when ridership is lower. I know off-hand Route 66 Yorkdale/East Gwillimbury Express operates every two hours during the daytime outside of peak periods. Being a challenge if waiting for a departure and two hours is a pretty long wait. It also depends on other options available such as local transit or routes available.

Having to manage costs with the current pandemic situation with the lower ridership. 

The list may be long, but the majority of changes are minor in nature - just adjusting schedules for running time, in most cases +/- 5 minutes.

GO already cut their service a lot at the start of the pandemic... almost all routes were brought down to hourly frequency. There's not many more places to find cost-savings or "efficiencies" without sacrificing service levels even more.

1 hour ago, Bessarion said:

Are there any plans on resuming the weekend Niagara Falls train?

Eventually. Right now, the ridership still hasn't recovered noting most train lines on weekends have been replaced by bus service. Having to manage costs with COVID-19 with how some routes during the late evening are going to be reduced to every two hours next week. This is along with the current stay at home order too. 

7 hours ago, GTAmissions1 said:

Eventually. Right now, the ridership still hasn't recovered noting most train lines on weekends have been replaced by bus service. Having to manage costs with COVID-19 with how some routes during the late evening are going to be reduced to every two hours next week. This is along with the current stay at home order too. 

I see, normally before Covid when do they normally resume the weekend service? I remember it being around March or so. 

12 minutes ago, Bessarion said:

I see, normally before Covid when do they normally resume the weekend service? I remember it being around March or so. 

The GO Train Prior to COVID ran year round on Weekends to Niagara and once daily in each direction on Weekdays

On 4/20/2021 at 5:17 PM, GTAmissions1 said:

Route 15 Brantford/Burlington: 15A trips on weekdays to McMaster University are suspended due to classes not running in-class

Route 16 Hamilton Express: Hourly service on weekdays when trains aren't running to Hamilton and all day weekends

Route 19 Square One/Finch: Frequency every two hours weekday late evenings with 8:10 PM until 12:10 AM from Square One and 8:50 PM until 12:50 AM from Finch. 

Route 21 Milton: Select trips will be combined which may involve serving more stops taking a bit longer.

Route 25 Mississauga/Waterloo: Schedule adjustments. 

Route 27 Milton/North York: Service reduced to hourly during the weekday daytime and every 2 hours during late evening. Service to York Mills Station will be discontinued.

Route 29 Guelph/Mississauga: Schedule adjustments and weekday late evening frequency reduced to every 2 hours. Last trip from Guelph Go Station is 10:20 PM and Square One at 12:20 AM. 

Route 31 Kitchener: On-request stop changed to between Mount Pleasant Go and Georgetown Go Station during late evenings on the 31E branch. 

Route 32 Brampton/North York: Rush hour service reduced to hourly along with schedule adjustments 

Route 34 Pearson/North York: Schedule adjustments 

Route 36 Brampton/North York: Schedule adjustment 

Route 40 Richmond Hill/Pearson: Late evening weekday service reduced to operating every two hours. 1:05 AM from Hamilton Go and 1:15 AM from Richmond Hill Centre. Resuming just after 3 AM the next day. 

Route 41 Hamilton/Pickering and Route 45 Streetsville/Square One/Highway 407 Terminal: Schedule adjustments 

Route 47 Hamilton/Highway 407 Terminal: Schedule adjustments and platform change at Square One from Platform 9 to Platform 8

Route 48 Highway 407: Schedule adjustments 

Route 54 Oshawa/Oakville: Schedule adjustments 

Route 66 East Gwillimbury/Yorkdale: Schedule adjustments 

Route 67 Keswick/North York: 12:10 PM and 3:10 PM afternoon weekday departures suspended 

Route 92 Whitby/Finch and Route 96 Oshawa/Finch: Schedule adjustments 

I was looking at the new schedules and noticed the maps hadn't been updated to reflect the new changes that I've noted in red.  In the case of Route 15, it appears a different route map is used altogether both in the current and the revised schedules.  How hard is it to update the maps on the schedules?  With Route 27 the 27B branch is cancelled and should be removed from the map.  With Route 21 they've combined branches 21H and 21R into 21W and also eliminated the last 21J while the 21K was eliminated earlier in the pandemic.  The various branches still show up on the map except for the 21W.  I would hope that the signs at the various stations and terminals are also updated to prevent confusion as the printed schedules are no longer available for viewing.

I remember last year someone waiting at Square One for the 21K (express to Union) which wasn't running at the time.  The passenger was looking at the sign and there was no indication when the service operated, just that it served that particular stop.  The weekday 21W is probably going to cause some similar confusion.  And with the combined branches, it also effectively reduces service on the entire corridor since you no longer have two branches to choose from, resulting in a single arrival time at Union Bus Terminal.

8ve got two nitpicks.

The 16 doesn't have departures out if Hamilton between 3pm and 7pm on weekdays as 'the train runs TO Hamilton. Would make more sense if there were trains heading to Union at that time.

Lastly, Route 54 is Mount Joy/Hwy.407 and NOT Oshawa/Oakville.

2 hours ago, Gil said:

I was looking at the new schedules and noticed the maps hadn't been updated to reflect the new changes that I've noted in red.  In the case of Route 15, it appears a different route map is used altogether both in the current and the revised schedules.  How hard is it to update the maps on the schedules?  With Route 27 the 27B branch is cancelled and should be removed from the map.  With Route 21 they've combined branches 21H and 21R into 21W and also eliminated the last 21J while the 21K was eliminated earlier in the pandemic.  The various branches still show up on the map except for the 21W.  I would hope that the signs at the various stations and terminals are also updated to prevent confusion as the printed schedules are no longer available for viewing.

I remember last year someone waiting at Square One for the 21K (express to Union) which wasn't running at the time.  The passenger was looking at the sign and there was no indication when the service operated, just that it served that particular stop.  The weekday 21W is probably going to cause some similar confusion.  And with the combined branches, it also effectively reduces service on the entire corridor since you no longer have two branches to choose from, resulting in a single arrival time at Union Bus Terminal.

I always found the 21 very interesting since there are so many branches. Especially since it is pretty hard to keep track of which branch services which stops depending on which stop the passenger is going to. Route letters are important of course since each route services a different section of course.

1 hour ago, newflyerinvero said:

8ve got two nitpicks.

The 16 doesn't have departures out if Hamilton between 3pm and 7pm on weekdays as 'the train runs TO Hamilton. Would make more sense if there were trains heading to Union at that time.

Lastly, Route 54 is Mount Joy/Hwy.407 and NOT Oshawa/Oakville.

Noted and amended with the additional detail of Route 18 as a connection point for those who take the Lakeshore West to Aldershot to reach Hamilton/reach Union from Hamilton GO Centre when Route 16 isn't operating. I remember during the beginning of the pandemic how they eliminated most of the departures except for the final departure from Hamilton GO Centre. Now bringing back some of the service, but on a limited frequency. 

2 hours ago, GTAmissions1 said:

Noted and amended with the additional detail of Route 18 as a connection point for those who take the Lakeshore West to Aldershot to reach Hamilton/reach Union from Hamilton GO Centre when Route 16 isn't operating. I remember during the beginning of the pandemic how they eliminated most of the departures except for the final departure from Hamilton GO Centre. Now bringing back some of the service, but on a limited frequency. 

That last 16 trip in the old schedules was basically an "in-service deadhead" to bring a bus from Hamilton to Union Station for the late-night 18C trips out to Hamilton. The inbalance between inbound and outbound 16 trips is still maintained in the new schedules to allow for this.

On 4/26/2021 at 10:57 PM, Articulated said:

That last 16 trip in the old schedules was basically an "in-service deadhead" to bring a bus from Hamilton to Union Station for the late-night 18C trips out to Hamilton. The inbalance between inbound and outbound 16 trips is still maintained in the new schedules to allow for this.

I always thought that it would make sense for the Niagara falls bus to leave from Aldershot or Oakville allowing better connections with VIA.  Otherwise you need to take the GO Train from Burlington to Aldershot or Oakville.

Doesn’t look like this is reported here yet, but all of the Richmond Hill line trains are now being operated with only 4 cars (reduced from 6). Started in the beginning of May

Greyhound going bust gives Metrolinx an unexpected opportunity to horn in on territory that was previously off the table and engage in a nice little round of empire building.  Which former Grehound routes do you guys think Go is going to pick up? 

• Like 1

If Go Transit does horn in on these greyhound routes, then they will have to invest in buses with lavatories for the Windsor London Toronto route. it really a pipe dream.

18 minutes ago, Girardin71 said:

If Go Transit does horn in on these greyhound routes, then they will have to invest in buses with lavatories for the Windsor London Toronto route. it really a pipe dream.

No they won't be getting lavatories put on the buses. The Toronto London Windsor would most likely be branch do so Windsor to London, London to Toronto. 

41 minutes ago, Girardin71 said:

Not really - there's a whole fleet of highway coaches with lavatories on them that'll be hitting the used market on Friday morning for cheap from some recently defunct bus company.

I'd hope for Kitchener/Waterloo to Guelph bus service. Market may or may not be there between the two, but at least extend the 31 and 33 out that way entirely until the rail corridor upgrades. The 30 can be a full express to York Mills. And if desired, Union. Bramalea could still be a connector for the 407 buses.

I'd be up for a blend of Hwy 6 and Hwy 8 service from Hamilton to Guelph and K-W respectively. Though, I believe Coach Canada may have that market, if I'm not mistaken. Because right now, taking the 25/30, 31, 29/48 to somewhere in Peel Region and a westbound 40/47 is ridiculous. Nevermind a thought put towards connections with the Lakeshore West train and/or bus.

5 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

Greyhound going bust gives Metrolinx an unexpected opportunity to horn in on territory that was previously off the table and engage in a nice little round of empire building.  Which former Grehound routes do you guys think Go is going to pick up? 

10 minutes ago, TDE said:

I'd hope for Kitchener/Waterloo to Guelph bus service. Market may or may not be there between the two, but at least extend the 31 and 33 out that way entirely until the rail corridor upgrades. The 30 can be a full express to York Mills. And if desired, Union. Bramalea could still be a connector for the 407 buses.

I'd be up for a blend of Hwy 6 and Hwy 8 service from Hamilton to Guelph and K-W respectively. Though, I believe Coach Canada may have that market, if I'm not mistaken. Because right now, taking the 25/30, 31, 29/48 to somewhere in Peel Region and a westbound 40/47 is ridiculous. Nevermind a thought put towards connections with the Lakeshore West train and/or bus.

I can see them or Voyager tackling the Guelph to Hamilton. But a Kitchener to Guelph bus might not happen as the all day service on the train it's supposed to be happening in less than 5 years.

6 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

Go Transit pretty much took most of the demand from Barrie to Toronto via train service during the peak periods (Toronto in the AM and reverse in the PM). When the trains don't operate, bus replacement service to connect to the train in Aurora is available. Taking many years to build up the service even on weekends/holidays to a more reasonable level than waiting 2 hours between departures. 

There is the Yorkdale Express from East Gwillimbury for those that aren't heading to Union and need North York. Frequency used to be hourly before budget cuts lead it to operating every 2 hours on weekdays and hourly during peak periods. 

Ontario Northland was an alternative and express heading directly to Toronto via Highway 400 servicing Yorkdale along the way. The difference is that Ontario Northland only runs a certain amount of trips a day where as Go Transit is a more predictable frequency and reasonable cost even for an adult ticket. Even with timed connection points between transferring to another bus or train.

Even with Greyhound no longer operating, Go Transit has been investing a lot in their services over the years to better match demand. Of course Go Transit is publicly funded and operates a different cost structure. 

Before the pandemic, Go was supposed to introduce a multitude of changes. Those changes were 5 of the 7 train lines were going to operate 7 days a week. More trains running the full length of routes, including hourly to Barrie with a couple delays waiting for trains to pass in certain areas. 2 hours to Kitchener hourly to Georgetown, and 30 minutes going to Bramalea. Basically a train on the Kitchener line would leave union every 30 minutes. One to Bramalea, one to Georgetown, one to Bramalea and then one to Kitchener. Stoufville would operate to mount joy or Linconville every hour. The plan was going to then reduce bus service on those corridors, and coordinate with local transit routes to improve local service to connect to the trains. 

The next big part of that plan was to extend bus service on several routes. There was talk of a new route that would connect Kitchener to London. Barrie was going to turn into a large hub and from there they would have a bus that would go to Collingwood, and to Owen Sound. There was also going to be 2 bus routes that would connect to Lindsay, one would go up to Orillia and down to Lindsay that way, the other was supposed to go down to Bradford and across to Lindsay then over to Peterborough. There was also going to be a bus operating from HWY 407 station to Peterborough with stops along the 407 at carpool lots. There was going to be a bus that was also going to operate to Lindsay from a Lakeshore East station, possibly Whitby or Oshawa. A new route was going to operate from Aldershot GO to Aberfoyle and Guelph. A new route was meant to operate from Brantford to Cambridge and possibly Kitchener. There was also supposed to be a boost of service in Orangeville. A route was going to operate from East Gwillimbury to Orangeville, and the Brampton to Orangeville route was going to run more often in both directions 7 days a week and every second trip was going to operate to Owen Sound. 

So that would be a summary of what could potentially be taken over from Greyhound. Megabus announced 4 day a week service (to start) to Ottawa. Just someone will need to take the Ottawa to Montreal service as that was very busy. I assume it will be megabus as well. As for London to Windsor I think GO would need to service that

• Like 1