Jump to content

Recommended Posts

13 hours ago, Downsview34. said:

2 new GO bus routes coming next month. 

One route is the 56. Merging the 46 & 52 together. Same routing but it will be from Oakville GO to Oshawa GO.

The other is 41. Merging 47 & 51 from Hamilton GO to pickering GO.

I'm very pleased to see more of this cross-regional bus services about to become a reality. 
Merging the 46 and 52 would possibly mean giving Oakville weekend and holiday GO bus service assuming that's what happens, same with the new 41 giving Pickering GO possibly weekend and holiday service.
The one route out of all four that are being merged into these new routes, being the 47, prior to covid had so many branches. I'd be quite curious to see how the frequencies for these routes evolve overtime given the length of these routes.

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/29/2021 at 8:40 PM, newflyerinvero said:

I'm very pleased to see more of this cross-regional bus services about to become a reality. 
Merging the 46 and 52 would possibly mean giving Oakville weekend and holiday GO bus service assuming that's what happens, same with the new 41 giving Pickering GO possibly weekend and holiday service.

That's not happening. 47 and 52 weekend service will remain as is.

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

Go Transit is adjusting station hours and in some cases, closing ticket booth hours entirely at some stations effective March 6th. With the limited train service along with bus replacement service, have to cut costs where possible. Noting that a ticket attendant working at one makes over $20/hour. Labour being an expensive cost of business. 

Ticket machines and electronic tickets are available for purchase. This is along with Presto functions done at the ticket machine regarding loading of value or simply done through the mobile application. 

If someone still needs transit info, they can always ask the transit operator or use trip planning apps like Google Maps for trip planning. For those that prefer to call, the info line is available between 8 AM to 8 PM on weekdays and 9 AM to 5 PM on weekends/holidays reaching a human representative. 

https://www.gotransit.com/en/stations-stops-parking/reservedparking/new-station-hours

  • Thanks 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/16/2021 at 3:43 PM, ORION said:

It appears that refurbishment has commenced on the Super Lo Enviros. This one was spotted at MTB today.

C377AD1E-24A8-4C6B-ABE5-5C55FCFCD5A9.jpeg

More like paint quality issue!  I've seen some of the paint are already bubbling out in less than 2 years!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/27/2021 at 8:34 PM, general682002 said:

More like paint quality issue!  I've seen some of the paint are already bubbling out in less than 2 years!

I'd say this one is in the process of livery removal rather than paint issues. The GO Transit logo is already gone, for instance.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, anyfong said:

I'd say this one is in the process of livery removal rather than paint issues. The GO Transit logo is already gone, for instance.

Sanding it down to be repainted

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, anyfong said:

I'd say this one is in the process of livery removal rather than paint issues. The GO Transit logo is already gone, for instance.

 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

I can't believe I missed this one from a week ago:

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2021/03/01/after-four-years-and-7-million-metrolinx-quietly-drops-proposal-for-hydrogen-powered-go-trains.html (alternate link)

There were rumours circulating in 2016-2017 that they wanted to begin construction on the easy to design parts of the electrification and begin planting poles and stringing some wire before the provincial election in 2018, but that got shelved when the hydrogen train circus showed up in town and $7 million and four years of time got wasted.  Granted, in the grand scheme of what they're going to be spending electrifying one way or another, $7 million isn't too bad even though I wish they didn't waste that money, but it's the loss of time that bothers me much more.  Think of how much progress could've been made on the traditional 25 kV AC overhead electrification build out if it had started four years ago and how much further along everything would be today.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Wayside Observer said:

I can't believe I missed this one from a week ago:

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2021/03/01/after-four-years-and-7-million-metrolinx-quietly-drops-proposal-for-hydrogen-powered-go-trains.html (alternate link)

There were rumours circulating in 2016-2017 that they wanted to begin construction on the easy to design parts of the electrification and begin planting poles and stringing some wire before the provincial election in 2018, but that got shelved when the hydrogen train circus showed up in town and $7 million and four years of time got wasted.  Granted, in the grand scheme of what they're going to be spending electrifying one way or another, $7 million isn't too bad even though I wish they didn't waste that money, but it's the loss of time that bothers me much more.  Think of how much progress could've been made on the traditional 25 kV AC overhead electrification build out if it had started four years ago and how much further along everything would be today.

 

Who knows this might not be the last we hear of it, more especially if the clown Del Duca (who initiated the hydrogen circus) gets elected as premier.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

I can't believe I missed this one from a week ago:

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2021/03/01/after-four-years-and-7-million-metrolinx-quietly-drops-proposal-for-hydrogen-powered-go-trains.html (alternate link)

There were rumours circulating in 2016-2017 that they wanted to begin construction on the easy to design parts of the electrification and begin planting poles and stringing some wire before the provincial election in 2018, but that got shelved when the hydrogen train circus showed up in town and $7 million and four years of time got wasted.  Granted, in the grand scheme of what they're going to be spending electrifying one way or another, $7 million isn't too bad even though I wish they didn't waste that money, but it's the loss of time that bothers me much more.  Think of how much progress could've been made on the traditional 25 kV AC overhead electrification build out if it had started four years ago and how much further along everything would be today.

 

In fairness, they wouldn't have been that much closer.

 

I had heard about the pole/wire rumour as well - but the problem is that they still hadn't (and haven't) finalized an OCS design. If they had put poles into the ground in 2018, there was a 50-50 chance that they would have to pull them back out to do them properly when the time came to finish the system.

 

Dan

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, smallspy said:

In fairness, they wouldn't have been that much closer.

 

I had heard about the pole/wire rumour as well - but the problem is that they still hadn't (and haven't) finalized an OCS design. If they had put poles into the ground in 2018, there was a 50-50 chance that they would have to pull them back out to do them properly when the time came to finish the system.

 

Dan

Around the time I heard the rumour, I think it was after I heard it actually, I downloaded one of the reports on the design of the Lakeshore West electrification since it would've been the second phase after Lakeshore East to be done, and I was surprised at how far advanced it was.  The line had been surveyed from the end of the USRC to Burlington and all the bridges, signal gantries, everything that would have to be modified was listed with proposed changes to provide the clearance needed for the overhead system, proposed locations for all the supporting infrastructure were surveyed, pole locations in and out of Metrolinx property had been surveyed, it was all extensively documented with photographs.

I was impressed, it was ready to go to detailed design work and then on to construction, so the rumour sounded credible to me that if the order came down from Queen's Park to go on it, it would've been relatively easy to get started building the straightforward, standard easy stuff on tangent track with no clearance obstructions while the designs for the more complicated work were finished up.  Of course, the order never came because the whole diversion with the hydrogen trains happened.  If it hadn't, I'm sure selecting a specific OCS system would've been moved up significantly in order to get started.

I heard a couple of years ago that New York State and Amtrak are designing everything they do around the main line across NYS to New York City around OCS clearances to be future-proof for any electrification that might come later.  I hope Metrolinx picks something that's going to be compatible with existing pantograph requirements with an eye towards the possibility that the two electrifications may meet in Niagara Falls some day.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/29/2021 at 2:12 AM, GojiMet86 said:

I got curious about the fate of the GO Transit buses in Miami. I found a vehicle list online about Miami-Dade Transit contractor America's Transportation a few days ago, and gathered info from online photos on its website. This is what I gathered; old GO numbers on left, new numbers on right (first two digits are supposed to be number of seats):

 

2135 - 5772

2136 - 5773

2137 - 5771

2152 - 5779

2163 - 5777

2169 - 5778

2191 - 5774

2211 - 5775

2212 - 5776

2268 - 5783

2276 - 5782

2322 - 5597

2329 - 55100

2334 - ?

2340 - 5793

2341 - 55102

2353 - 55124

2354 - ?

2356 - 5794

2365 - ?

2367 - 5599

2369 - 55110

2370 - ?

2390 - 5796

2399 - 55104

2402 - 55116

2414 - 55105

There are at least, at minimum, 10 more buses. 5771-5779 were put on sale recently.

Here is a list of a couple of other ex GO Transit MCI's units here in South Florida. Bus 2334 is 55117,  bus 2365 is 5785,  bus 2407 is 55106,  bus 2379 is 55105,  bus 2414 is 55111,  bus 2380 is 55115,  bus 2420 is 55122 Cummins ISM engine.  Bus 2406 is  55112,  bus 2371 is 55108,  

8 minutes ago, Marcos A R said:

Here is a list of a couple of other ex GO Transit MCI's units here in South Florida. Bus 2334 - 55117,  bus 2365 - 5785,  bus 2407 - 55106,  bus 2379 - 55105,  bus 2414 - 55111,  bus 2380 - 55115,  bus 2420 - 55122 Cummins ISM engine.  Bus 2406 -  55112,  bus 2371 - 55108. I'll try to get some more of them when ever I get a chance.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Is Metrolinx redundantly trying to recreate the wheel with this pilot project at Mimico and Danforth stations?

https://blog.metrolinx.com/2021/03/04/getting-on-board-metrolinx-launches-new-signage-pilot-program-to-make-catching-your-train-even-easier/

boarding-signage-story-with-these-photos-rob-took-at-danforth-go-e1614861720551.jpg?w=769

Instead of duplicating the existing (blue) signage with a different colour for each possible train length couldn't they just explain what the signs mean or even make them more prominent since they're now intended for more broader use?  The other half that isn't mentioned in the article is whether or not the departure screens will indicate the length of the train so that passengers know where to wait using the signage.  Are there any Danforth or Mimico users who can confirm whether the departure screens actually display this vital information?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/9/2021 at 5:21 PM, lip said:

Who knows this might not be the last we hear of it, more especially if the clown Del Duca (who initiated the hydrogen circus) gets elected as premier.

You know, I was thinking about this earlier today.  One of the justifications for the whole hydrogen train idea was that there's an abundance of hydrogen in Sarnia.

That's probably a byproduct of one of the industrial processes used by the petrochemical industry down there and if Gretchen Whitmer, the governor of Michigan, goes through on shutting down the Enbridge Line 5 in a couple of months, that whole industry's going to be severely upended including hydrogen production.  I know the energy companies are looking at oil by rail or running tankers on Lake Superior (Is it the Exxon Fitzgerald or Edmund Valdez if things go wrong with that idea?) to get around it but it's still going to be painful if that happens and the idea of cheap, plentiful hydrogen for Go trains as an industrial byproduct is out the window.  The same applies if decarbonization of the economy happens in a big way to fight climate change.  There'll still be some byproduct hydrogen but not as much as the industry scales down, which means alternate sources will need to be found even if that means setting up specific manufacturing for it to break it down from petroleum or from water.  All of this is independent of the pitfalls and limitations of hydrogen fuel cell locomotives themselves.

If Del Duca becomes the premier, he needs to accept that Metrolinx researched the idea, it's far from ready for prime time, the source of the hydrogen itself is far from guaranteed, especially long term, and the best thing to do is start stringing wire.  The last thing anyone needs is yet another go round of expensive, unreliable proprietary Government of Ontario transportation garbage.  It never ends well.  Never.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

With GO trains being six cars long instead of the usual 12, do the trains accelerate more quickly from a station stop, or it it about the same and the engines are taking it easy?

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Ed T. said:

With GO trains being six cars long instead of the usual 12, do the trains accelerate more quickly from a station stop, or it it about the same and the engines are taking it easy?

With half the usual weight gone, you can be sure they accelerate a bit faster. Whether they actually do that or not is up to the operator.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Doppelkupplung said:

With half the usual weight gone, you can be sure they accelerate a bit faster. Whether they actually do that or not is up to the operator.  

I’ve noticed dwell times at stations seems to be a little bit longer with 6 and 8 car trains compared to 12s, I assume that’s due to the quicker acceleration of the smaller trains.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, 110B West Pickering said:

I’ve noticed dwell times at stations seems to be a little bit longer with 6 and 8 car trains compared to 12s, I assume that’s due to the quicker acceleration of the smaller trains.

It is, in part.

 

It's also because they are still having issues with people not lining up in the appropriate locations on the platforms, and so they need to wait for them.

 

Dan

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Don’t know if you guys remember the snide remarks I made a while ago whenI mentioned that Go Transit had the opportunity to electrify at a steep discount when a short lived electrification in Mexico was shut down except we were in the middle of the “Common Sense Revolution” here with Mike Harris and company in charge, and common sense dictates you take a pass on the opportunity to get a big discount so you can pay full retail later, right?  Oh you bet it does.  Welcome to Ontariariario, a place too bland, a place too slow.

Anyhow, I’d heard about it. But I just came across proof in print.  Let’s turn back the clock 20 years to April, 2001 and take a peek at the Hatch Mott MacDonald Electrification Study - Update Lakeshore Line where there are some interesting tidbits near the top.

The locomotives were General Electric E60C that were a mix of lightly used and never used machines.  The locomotives and a lot of substation and overhead equipment would’ve come from that short lived electrification in Mexico.

More overhead catenary is also mentioned to be available from BC Rail. That’d be from the then recently canned Tumbler Ridge electrification. I don’t know if the GM GF6Cs were still available but those were purpose built as freight locos so no head end power, probably too steep a gear reduction ratio, and transformer work to convert them from 50 to 25 kv so I can see why Hatch didn’t consider them even if they were available.

Interestingly, looking at this April, 2001 report in April, 2021, there’s a passage in there referencing a 1992 electrification study and another mention that in 2001, at the time of writing, electrifying had been studied for 20 years.  That makes it 40 years now.  Forty years.  It’s been studied since 1981.  1981!  That’s pathetic.

Does anyone know if Metrolinx has gotten in touch with Hydro One to see if the deal on page iii still stands where Hydro One will pay for part of the substation and high voltage connection costs if they’re given a long term contract to supply the juice?

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Similar to the discussion in the YRT thread about what happens to their routes when subway is extended on Yonge.  What do you think will happen to GO buses at Finch when subway is extended?

Would they mostly reroute them all to York Mills Terminal?

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Mike said:

Similar to the discussion in the YRT thread about what happens to their routes when subway is extended on Yonge.  What do you think will happen to GO buses at Finch when subway is extended?

Would they mostly reroute them all to York Mills Terminal?

Pre-pandemic there was still some decent traffic (passenger-wise) on the stretch between the 401 and Finch with the odd route branch diverting to York Mills.  I've only used York Mills once to catch a GO bus, unless they come up with some creative scheduling or interlining more routes I don't foresee them relocating there from Finch.  There are also the odd routes heading north along Yonge to the 407.  If YRT does move out of Finch or greatly reduces the number of routes, there will be plenty of room for GO Transit to use.  Perhaps reconfigure the terminal for nicer facilities?

GO is still the fastest way to get between the north ends of the Yonge and Spadina branches of Line 1.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Mike said:

Similar to the discussion in the YRT thread about what happens to their routes when subway is extended on Yonge.  What do you think will happen to GO buses at Finch when subway is extended?

Would they mostly reroute them all to York Mills Terminal?

The majority of the offices in North York Centre are located north of Highway 401; if all buses going into Finch were diverted to York Mills, many of the current passengers would be required to make an additional transfer to the subway, and at extra cost.

York Mills Terminal is also at capacity now, and since it's located underneath an office building there isn't room to expand without building an entirely new terminal on a different site.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Articulated said:

The majority of the offices in North York Centre are located north of Highway 401; if all buses going into Finch were diverted to York Mills, many of the current passengers would be required to make an additional transfer to the subway, and at extra cost.

York Mills Terminal is also at capacity now, and since it's located underneath an office building there isn't room to expand without building an entirely new terminal on a different site.

Thanks didn't think about the offices.  If it is office buildings along Yonge where most passengers are going then going to Finch can't be avoided. However, if at least some passengers were looking to transfer to YRT at Finch perhaps they should keep one route at Finch, for example 99.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The mail came today which included the March/April copy of the OACETT industry magazine and Metrolinx made the front cover:

6F9B2D7D-8874-4D37-8DF9-877651CD01F5.thumb.jpeg.19b83cc2c43ca545f752f32855c2fc1f.jpeg

I haven’t seen the new bus terminal yet but it sounds like they really cranked up the number of video displays.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...