15 minutes ago, Doppelkupplung said:

Given this whole big 'rona thing, does anyone know what the retirement schedule is like for buses 2420-2449?

I don't think those buses are going to go anywhere. They pulled all the 81 series double decks off the road. They also have not added any new SuperLo's yet either. It's still up to 8521.

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Original GO Cab Car 104 is at the Toronto Railway Museum

For the sake of convenience, I’ll leave this here: Total of 5 ex go 8000s being loaded in Agincourt yard this morning, destined for their second lives in parts unknown. Numbers still on, th

omg I think its time for some social distancing for you two

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

I seen kids trying to lick the poles. 

I've seen my kids licking poles ... and more often windows. I'd slap them across the back of the head, but that tends to get people upset. Sorry everyone ...

• Like 2

Anecdotally from what I've heard from other riders, aside from the Lakeshore lines, with less crowding on rush hour trains would GO consider allowing bikes on board trains during rush hour?

I've also had the chance to ride the double-deckers with the physical distancing barriers.  It looks like they also took out a row in the bottom level and redistributed the seats for more space.

IMG_20200709_1128452.jpg

Masks will be mandatory starting this upcoming Tuesday on Go Transit and Union Pearson Express. 

If the passenger doesn't have a mask/face covering, they are to not be turned away. Especially if someone finishes work in Toronto and heading home, don't have to leave them stranded figuring out an alternative. 

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2020/07/17/masks-will-be-mandatory-on-go-transit-vehicles-starting-tuesday.html

11 minutes ago, GTAmissions1 said:

Masks will be mandatory starting this upcoming Tuesday on Go Transit and Union Pearson Express. 

If the passenger doesn't have a mask/face covering, they are to not be turned away. Especially if someone finishes work in Toronto and heading home, don't have to leave them stranded figuring out an alternative. 

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2020/07/17/masks-will-be-mandatory-on-go-transit-vehicles-starting-tuesday.html

We all know there will be those drivers that will leave people behind for not wearing a mask including myself. I've been taking GO a few times this month and most have been wearing masks except a few which the driver has tried to say something.

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, newflyerinvero said:

Now I must apologize in advance as I havent been tracking GO locks on Transee, but anyone know if any of the o8cos from 667 to 682 been used?

All of the time.

Well, obviously less now that they aren't running as many trains. But they still do go out.

Dan

1 minute ago, GO Transit Fan said:

Okay, the why don't I speak about the GO ALRT first? The GO ALRT would've ceased operations for the "Hamilton-Oshawa" in 2019 since the capacity in the Lakeshore line trains have increased. Line 2 would stay and the western extension of Line 5 wouldn't be needed, so would not the Etobicoke LRT. Unfortunately, politicians worry about the TTC more than GO Transit without wondering that GO Transit can develop rapid transit in the GTHA, TTC can only help Toronto, Missisauga and South York Region.

This is just random words. GO ALRT was deemed infeasible and that was that. The bastard child of GO ALRT, the ICTS, made the Scarborough RT an orphan line that no one (other than Bombardier lobbyists) want to extend.

Since the vast majority of ridership in the GTHA is on the TTC, it makes sense if rapid transit is focused on where the ridership is.

You are also conflating regional transit with urban rapid transit. They are not the same thing.

On 7/25/2020 at 1:13 PM, GO Transit Fan said:

Anybody want to talk about the abandoned proposal for GO ALRT (Government of Ontario Advanced Light Rail Transit)?

Again? Why again?

Conservatives cancelled this under Premier Miller over 35 years ago ...

1 hour ago, GO Transit Fan said:

Sorry, but the facts have nothing to do with the 21st century.

How was the last millenium the 21st century?

Seems Metrolinx are starting to cause issues with the residence of Guelph (that won't go well). Also note that Transport Canada closed the Dublin St crossing. Metrolinx wants to close all crossings at Glasgow St, Yorkshire St and Alma St. This would leave only Gordon Street as a north-south into downtown. They are also proposing to cut down trees as well in a park. Metrolinx is not very well liked in Guelph by many who live there so there will be many issues coming soon.

https://www.guelphtoday.com/letters-to-the-editor/letter-metrolinx-plans-a-threat-to-guelph-neighbourhoods-2607360?fbclid=IwAR3FqOoX-a_ZZYTgeMt41dRRaqIjuslNDasuERKmSAEmp1wfjenD_9ySWxo

https://www.metrolinxengage.com/en/content/guelph-wellington-proposed-infrastructure?fbclid=IwAR2TKZSZr5xUi2tZ9EcMvSkPi8YMvk_mP5t4Wez6Zj5bdrGLC8wCU3wQ2fg

Former Queen Elisabeth GO Terminal?

Question?

The last time I was in Toronto(and it's been sometime)the former QE Go Terminal next to the Main Coach Terminal Greyhound and other providers where using one side as drop off and If not mistaken the other side was parking for cars(not sure why no buses parked there).

Is that part of the "Inter-city Terminal" still being used as a drop off and the other side for car parking or do they allow buses to park there? Or that part of the Terminal still there?

I wish it was still a Go Terminal it was some much easier crossing the street especially if you where getting off a Voyageur/Greyhound coach coming from Ottawa going to Hamilton? Now you have to go to Union Station(or least the last time I checked it was?

Thats the one ting I hated about Toronto's Inter-City bus terminal you had to wait outside to catch your coach(Yes there a waiting area inside)but if you waited inside til your coach was scheduled to leave you'd end up at the end of the line.

As well by waiting outside in the line up you got on near the front of the line, although you'd be breathing in all the diesel fumes from the buses. I'm not sure how cold TO gets in the winterbut here in Ottawa in can get quite cold. I'm sure glad our Central Station is designed so you wait inside, then step out the door right into your coach.

7 minutes ago, MCIBUS said:

Question?

The last time I was in Toronto(and it's been sometime)the former QE Go Terminal next to the Main Coach Terminal Greyhound and other providers where using on side as drop off and If not mistaken the other side was parking for cars(not sure why no buses parked there).

Is that part of the "Inter-city Terminal" still being used as a drop off and the other side for car parking or do they allow buses to park there? Or that part of the Terminal still there?

I wish it was still a Go Terminal it was some much easier crossing the street especially if you where getting off a Voyageur/Greyhound coach coming from Ottawa going to Hamilton? Now you have to go to Union Station(or least the last time I checked it was?

Thats the one ting I hated about Toronto's Inter-City bus terminal you had to wait outside to catch your coach(Yes there a waiting area inside)but if you waited inside til your coach was scheduled to leave you'd end up at the end of the line.

As well by waiting outside in the line up you got on near the front of the line, although you'd be breathing in all the diesel fumes from the buses. I'm not sure how cold TO gets in the winterbut here in Ottawa in can get quite cold. I'm sure glad our Central Station is designed so you wait inside, then step out the door right into your coach.

The goal by the end of the year is to consolidate both the Toronto Coach Terminal and GO's Union Station Bus Terminal at a new 2-level facility in CIBC Square at Bay and Lake Shore across from the Scotiabank Arena.  I think the plan is to have GO using one level and all the other carriers using the other.  Switching would then just be a matter of going up or down one level.  There will be a waiting area indoors.  There will also be PATH connections into Union Station for transfers to VIA, GO and UP Express trains as well as the TTC subway.

1 hour ago, MCIBUS said:

Question?

The last time I was in Toronto(and it's been sometime)the former QE Go Terminal next to the Main Coach Terminal Greyhound and other providers where using one side as drop off and If not mistaken the other side was parking for cars(not sure why no buses parked there).

First off, it was referred to as the "Elizabeth Street Terminal" because it was named after Elizabeth Street, which it was located on, not after the (still-current) Queen.

Although I have not been downtown since the start of the pandemic, the Elizabeth Street Terminal should still be used for arriving intercity buses. The southernmost lane (closest to the closed indoor waiting area) is always kept clear for arriving buses, while buses on long-term layover or standby can park in the other two lanes inside the building. No public car parking should be allowed inside the terminal building, although there is a Green P public parking lot to the south of the terminal building.

GO buses use Union Station Bus Terminal for a variety of reasons. There is much more transfer traffic between the GO trains and buses than there is from the intercity buses. Its also simpler from a marketing/communications standpoint to have one central location for all of your services, rather than spread out. Especially important when all of the locations served by buses are also served by trains at some point in the day. USBT is also closer to the Gardiner, meaning buses don't spend their time winding through congested downtown streets.

Yes, the current terminal sucks. It's old and outdated, and the services using it have outgrown it. It was not designed for 45 foot coaches, as well as the frequency of buses currently using it (at least pre-Greyhound shutdown). A replacement terminal has been discussed for decades now, but various reasons (political and otherwise) have delayed its construction until now. While I'll miss the current terminal, if only because of the amount of time I've spent fanning there, a replacement is much needed and long overdue.

With the low demand GO is taking advantage of it and putting in Tactile Yellow Tiles and Digital Signs on the platforms at some stations including Whitby, Oshawa and Scarborough. As well as putting digital signage in bus loops.

• Like 1
On 8/3/2020 at 11:44 PM, John Oke said:

With the low demand GO is taking advantage of it and putting in Tactile Yellow Tiles and Digital Signs on the platforms at some stations including Whitby, Oshawa and Scarborough. As well as putting digital signage in bus loops.

Here’s the platform at Whitby this morning 

image.jpg

• Like 1
On 8/3/2020 at 11:44 PM, John Oke said:

I'm hoping that they are taking the time on deploying Wi-Fi on their buses and trains too! Worse case scenario, it might be delayed until next year....;(

Stumbled on these on my ride this morning. 

9C1F7129-4061-4460-BDD1-5F0F08ABD351.jpeg

D1AC031D-C72F-45F1-9479-4FFE91297110.jpeg

IMG-7520.jpg

IMG-7522.jpg

I wanted to say these were the electrics but looking at the drive axle it doesn't seem that way. 

What's the reason behind those non-vented engine covers? Prevention of grit and spray etc. flying back in from the draft? I've seen a fair number of 83 and 84s that have received a solid black cover that's been drilled in. 

• Like 1

Today some mechanics at a maintenance company welcomed me to look at some buses and I spotted some new GO buses with no logos, fleet numbers or bike racks. The fleet number was written on a piece of paper stuck to windshield of the bus. I spotted 8541 in action.

F20212AF-FD56-4DF4-ACF1-E5D6F19D9A28.jpeg

8FB87B13-06EE-4318-AC6B-F3FAD11CCE95.jpeg

• Like 6

GO Transit has announced service changes taking effect next month (largely starting on Saturday September 5th or Tuesday September 8th).

Rail changes:

• Lakeshore East/West increasing to 15-30 minute service during rush hours; off-peak service will remain hourly.
    • West Harbour GO will reopen, with 2 trains daily per direction.
  • The branch lines will see additional trains added during rush hour, but all will remain at 6-car lengths for now.
  • Off-peak service on the Barrie, Kitchener, and Stouffville lines will mostly return with hourly service. Some changes to the pre-pandemic schedules will occur. Weekend service on the Barrie line will resume on September 12th.
  • In a bit of a blast from the past, all train lines will be assigned their own platforms at Union Station again:
    • Platform 3: Richmond Hill
    • Platform 4: Milton
    • Platforms 5/6: Lakeshore West
    • Platforms 7/8: Kitchener
    • Platforms 9/10: Barrie
    • Platform 24: Stouffville
    • Platforms 25/26: Lakeshore East

Bus changes:

• Various schedule changes to reflect changed/increased/restored train service.
  • The downtown Oshawa Terminal will be closed, with routes 52 and 92 extended to Oshawa GO instead.
  • Route 30 will now serve Meadowvale Business Park in both directions.
  • Route 34 reduced to every 2 hours on weekends.
  • Route 40 resumes 30 minute service during rush hours.
  • All route 45 trips will extend east to Richmond Hill Centre and Unionville GO as route 45B. Buses on this route are noted to return to using Hwy 407.
  • Route 61 reduced to every 2 hours outside of the shoulder peaks, and the "express trips" will be cut (all trips making all stops).
  • Route 91 will be replaced by new route 88A, operating on a similar schedule with 3 trips per direction.
  • A new route 94 will be introduced, operating between Pickering GO and Square One via Scarborough Centre, Yorkdale, and Keele/401.
  • Route 96 will see reduced service, with the elimination of "express" trips (all trips making all stops) and off-peak service reduced to every 2 hours.
  • Thanks 1