GO Transit

Enzo Aquarius

On 11/9/2020 at 1:36 AM, Megabus Rider said:

I don't think the older models would be used for any routes out of Downtown Toronto since they have more of the 3.9 metre units.

The double decks Go Transit uses out of Downtown Toronto are 3.9 metres, .1 metre would not make a big difference except of the roof hatches are opened. The Van Hool TD925s should fit as long the roof hatches are not opened.

My company does it all the time. We get under the USRC without issue with our TD925's with, or without the emerency hatches open as sometimes our air conditioning fails to adequately chill our units.

Union Station bus terminal (new location) will open on December 5th. Last day under the old location is end of the service day on December 4th (roughly just before 3 AM is with the last buses leaving at 2:40 AM).

https://blog.metrolinx.com/2020/11/16/torontos-new-union-station-bus-terminal-gets-ready-to-open-heres-what-you-need-to-know-to-get-on-the-bus/?fbclid=IwAR2pIM0YQpkPrtM1NZ9V4vGk3bg3ZK-MN22aJGhsoXXsgzELBWGQ3X148VU

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, GTAmissions1 said:

Union Station bus terminal (new location) will open on December 5th. Last day under the old location is end of the service day on December 4th (roughly just before 3 AM is with the last buses leaving at 2:40 AM).

https://blog.metrolinx.com/2020/11/16/torontos-new-union-station-bus-terminal-gets-ready-to-open-heres-what-you-need-to-know-to-get-on-the-bus/?fbclid=IwAR2pIM0YQpkPrtM1NZ9V4vGk3bg3ZK-MN22aJGhsoXXsgzELBWGQ3X148VU

Lets see how long those white ceiling tiles stay white, i'd say about 6 months. 

2 hours ago, Shaun said:

Indoors? Why, I don't think the diesel for the buses will get in.

The ones in Central Station in Montreal have done well enough over the decades - with the only noticeable issue over the decades being from smoke damage from the bombing.

The painted concrete in the bus bays might be more of an issue - but probably easier to repaint occasionally.

3 hours ago, Shaun said:

You guys are hilarious. The exhaust on the Alexander Dennis and MCI are towards the road. Also most of Go Transit's Fleet have the after treatment system for the exhaust. If Coach Canada and Ontario Northland move in, yes both use Prevost Coaches where the exhaust is towards the roof but again they have the after treatment system. If TTC were to bring 79xx or 80xx maybe you'll see some exhaust soot on the ceiling but I highly doubt TTC would ever use that Terminal. I am sure Metrolinx thought of mould control and may have a robust ventilation system to minimize mould on the structure.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, Cityflyer said:

Is there a website that tracks the progress of the Barrie and Stouffville line double track upgrade? Like which sections have been double tracked at any given month.

There isn't, but at the same time there really hasn't been that kind of progress on either project. Stouffville is far closer to being done, with only some minor work currently being accomplished on the Barrie line.

Most of the improvements have been far more piecemeal - usually focusing on or around stations - and progress on them can be found on their individual pages.

Dan

• Thanks 1

So Sat Dec 5 the new GO Terminal opens. I wish I could be there, but can't be there have other things that need to be done and besides I'm about a 5 hour drive away.

I wonder what they'll have out for customers to pick up?

Pamphlets?

Souvenirs?

Other GO trinkets?

DAM I love to get anything from there opening?

Anyone Going?

2 hours ago, MCIBUS said:

So Sat Dec 5 the new GO Terminal opens. I wish I could be there, but can't be there have other things that need to be done and besides I'm about a 5 hour drive away.

I wonder what they'll have out for customers to pick up?

Pamphlets?

Souvenirs?

Other GO trinkets?

DAM I love to get anything from there opening?

Anyone Going?

I was planning on going, however since Toronto is in a Lockdown. I decided to postpone the trip.

Well it's official the new GO Transit Terminal is now open.

I'm not sure how well it went as I wasn't there.

I'm not sure what the future holds for the new terminal and how it wil function in the coming days/months/years, but I'm guess it be operating for a long time.

Now there are rumors that other inter-city operators might possibly move from the Toronto Coach Terminal to the new GO Terminal whether that's true or not or might happen remains to be seen.

BUT!!

Assuming it's true & does happen, Toronto city council need not worry the property the Toronto Coach Terminal sits on is worth ten's of million of dollars, and could easily be sold to a developer who would most like either build condo's or office tower. Same thing with the old Elizabeth GO Terminal, worth $$$$$ and could easily be sold to a developer.

Whichever the case  may be, at least GO Transit customers have a new Terminal which was better then the former one right across from it.

CONGRATS TORONTO on your new bus terminal.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, MCIBUS said:

Now there are rumors that other inter-city operators might possibly move from the Toronto Coach Terminal to the new GO Terminal whether that's true or not or might happen remains to be seen.

The only one that is operating is Can-ar Coach with their 2 runs.

Last I heard, Greyhound wanted to use Pearson Airport, Coach Canada and Northland have been silent.

Like I said it's still remains to be seen what happens, but if Coach Canada and Ontario Northland do move there, and Greyhound goes to Pearson the Toronto Terminal is basically dead. The point I was trying to make Toronto city council  could easily sell the property to a developer for ten's of million dollars. The land is worth more then the building.

1 hour ago, MCIBUS said:

Like I said it's still remains to be seen what happens, but if Coach Canada and Ontario Northland do move there, and Greyhound goes to Pearson the Toronto Terminal is basically dead. The point I was trying to make Toronto city council  could easily sell the property to a developer for ten's of million dollars. The land is worth more then the building.

Yes, everyone from Toronto is well aware that a sale of the TCT lands would net considerable money; the media here bombards us everyday with how expensive it is to buy housing in this city. The current Coach Terminal will be demolished and sold off, once its tenants have decided to relocate elsewhere. Consider why not a single person has mentioned rebuilding that aging terminal, and is instead focusing on alternative locations...

11 hours ago, Articulated said:

Yes, everyone from Toronto is well aware that a sale of the TCT lands would net considerable money; the media here bombards us everyday with how expensive it is to buy housing in this city. The current Coach Terminal will be demolished and sold off, once its tenants have decided to relocate elsewhere. Consider why not a single person has mentioned rebuilding that aging terminal, and is instead focusing on alternative locations...

I'm sure that there are lots of hotels that would allow bus companies to use their facility as a bus depot. 

Or malls, which are strapped for cash.

Greyhound will not be relocating their Toronto operations to Pearson Airport (that's if they survive this pandemic as they havent even restarted any operations). I dont know where people are coming up with this, but it's outright false.

On another note, demolition of the old Union Bus Terminal is imminent and may begin as early as late Dec, or early January 2021. Depends on how quick GO can decommission the old site, and how quick Hines' construction teams can mobilize.

5 hours ago, lip said:

Greyhound will not be relocating their Toronto operations to Pearson Airport (that's if they survive this pandemic as they havent even restarted any operations). I dont know where people are coming up with this, but it's outright false.

This member has a friend who works for Greyhound Canada, I would take their post as gospel:

7 hours ago, Megabus Rider said:

This member has a friend who works for Greyhound Canada, I would take their post as gospel:

Yikes ... I'd hope they'd let passengers from the east out at Pickering GO, or Scarborough Centre, or somewhere.

Though at the rate the private intercity bus business is vanishing, the whole discussion may be moot.

Yeah i'll believe it when I see it, i'm not quite buying this gospel.

Only way I see it happening is if Greyhound comes out of this pandemic with significantly reduced operations (possible, but no one knows if they'll survive for sure).

GO Transit has killed off bus routes 90, 90c, and 91. This means less transit service to Newcastle. Bowmanville will continue to have service through a new DRT route and GO Bus 88. 

It's sad how much GO wishes to cut bus service but it seems that 90 and 91 were duplicated by the new DRT route which offers more frequent service. It also means less use of the various park and ride stations used by the 90/91 but I think those will be used for expanded train service. Route 88 which serves Newcastle remains.