45 minutes ago, Shaun said:

You mean to move to the current union station bus terminal in 2021? Or the new one?

Existing/old one is being redeveloped into a building if I’m not mistaken. There’s a city of TO notice for redevelopment that’s been up for a few years now just by the exit of the terminal.

it would’ve been cool if they could’ve turned the area into like 2 terminal tracks but I suppose that’s just a fantasy. Not enough space or sense in that idea. 

50 minutes ago, Shaun said:

You mean to move to the current union station bus terminal in 2021? Or the new one?

The current Union Station Bus Terminal is going to be the base of a building shortly. The land USBT is located on (plus the air rights over the rail corridor) was included in the deal that got the new terminal incorporated into the base of the building on the south side.

As for everyone yammering on about the new terminal being too small, current USBT has 7 platforms, and current TCT has 7 departure platforms (never mind that they're numbered 1-14, each platform has 2 numbers assigned to it. This is a holdover from the days before 45' coaches were standard. The even numbered platforms are never used nowadays), plus one lane in the Elizabeth Street building for arrivals. With the amount of service reductions over the past couple of years, there are no more than 4 scheduled departures within any 30 minute span, so 7 platforms for arrivals and departures will be sufficient. The new terminal seems to have 2 levels of 7 platforms each; this nicely segregates GO and intercity passengers onto two separate levels, and each level has enough platforms for their own needs.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Articulated said:

The current Union Station Bus Terminal is going to be the base of a building shortly. The land USBT is located on (plus the air rights over the rail corridor) was included in the deal that got the new terminal incorporated into the base of the building on the south side.

As for everyone yammering on about the new terminal being too small, current USBT has 7 platforms, and current TCT has 7 departure platforms (never mind that they're numbered 1-14, each platform has 2 numbers assigned to it. This is a holdover from the days before 45' coaches were standard. The even numbered platforms are never used nowadays), plus one lane in the Elizabeth Street building for arrivals. With the amount of service reductions over the past couple of years, there are no more than 4 scheduled departures within any 30 minute span, so 7 platforms for arrivals and departures will be sufficient. The new terminal seems to have 2 levels of 7 platforms each; this nicely segregates GO and intercity passengers onto two separate levels, and each level has enough platforms for their own needs.

My Assumption is Metrolinx will use the same system as the Port Authority Bus Terminal buy renting out each bay. Greyhound, Megabus, TOK and Northland will each take one bay and use their logos on the gates which leaves Go Transit 10 Bays to play around with on both levels.

On 6/21/2020 at 12:48 AM, Megabus Rider said:

Let's see, the Terminal was being built and Metrolinx is waiting for the rest of the building to be built.

Metrolinx owns the new terminal currently being completed. They do not own Bay Street - the TTC does.

I know this should be obvious, but there are very, very serious systemic issues and disagreements between the two agencies. They seldom see eye-to-eye, and just because one figures or decrees that something should be a fait accompli does not necessarily make it so.

Yes, Elizabeth Street Terminal is Vacant but the roadway is being used. I am sure once the new terminal is ok for occupancy, an announcement will be made whether the Toronto Coach Terminal is occupied or vacant.

The TTC has quietly been trying to sell off the Elizabeth Terminal for almost 20 years. They haven't been able to yet.

I am sure (if you're a home owner) new construction move-in dates are not really set in stone. We did have a pandemic, didn't we?

How is that relevant if the discussions involved have been happening for a decade or more? Do those discussions suddenly become irrelevant?

14 hours ago, lip said:

The Coach Terminal is going to be redeveloped there's no question about it. It's just a matter of when; the city was looking to depose of the land as early as 2021 but that may change of course with Covid-19:

"610 Bay Street (and adjacent 130 Elizabeth Street) are City-owned assets under the operational management of TTC. The facilities are currently leased-out for the delivery of inter-city, inter-regional and inter-national bus services, which are expected to relocate to Union Station in 2021. As a result, 610 Bay Street and 130 Elizabeth Street are considered to be underutilized City assets with higher use potential to deliver City building outcomes, while respecting the heritage components of the site. " - Report from the Chief Executive Officer, CreateTO on ModernTO: City-Wide Real Estate Strategy and Office Portfolio Optimization

https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2019/ra/bgrd/backgroundfile-137925.pdf

The city wont have any trouble finding any takers for the property, as land is becoming increasingly scarce in the downtown core.

Again - the TTC has been trying to move the Elizabeth Terminal for many, many years, and hasn't been able to as yet. There are a number of surface parking lots in the vicinity of the terminal that have been around for almost as long as I have been alive.

Don't assume that they won't have any trouble finding a buyer, because apparently others have been trying for many years with no luck.

Dan

2 hours ago, smallspy said:

Again - the TTC has been trying to move the Elizabeth Terminal for many, many years, and hasn't been able to as yet. There are a number of surface parking lots in the vicinity of the terminal that have been around for almost as long as I have been alive.

Don't assume that they won't have any trouble finding a buyer, because apparently others have been trying for many years with no luck.

Dan

The only reason a sale in this particular instance would be harder/more challenging to do is if the city starts attaching contingencies into the sale (ie: including certain city services within the development), or if a prospective developer wants to assemble more property (ie: along Dundas St). The parking lot to the north of the terminal has already been assembled by a developer.

The market has changed over the past 10-20 years, and over the same period of time the amount of land available to develop has steadily decreased in the downtown core. Honestly it wont be difficult to flip the property; it's probably been more of a tricky sale because it's directly under the Sick Kids flight path.

12 hours ago, smallspy said:

Metrolinx owns the new terminal currently being completed. They do not own Bay Street - the TTC does.

I am aware of that but Ivanhoe is the owner/developer and until Ivanhoe has finished the building, Metrolinx can't operate until then. I am sure the TTC is aware of this until Greyhound has completed their Lease agreement with Metrolix (if they have started, but the TTC has implied that it has)

I know this should be obvious, but there are very, very serious systemic issues and disagreements between the two agencies. They seldom see eye-to-eye, and just because one figures or decrees that something should be a fait accompli does not necessarily make it so.

Yes I am aware of the Transit Agencies pissing match.

The TTC has quietly been trying to sell off the Elizabeth Terminal for almost 20 years. They haven't been able to yet.

To my knowledge, it wasn't to sell but rather to lease out the space since Green P has Go Transit's driveway for Municipal parking. I am not sure if it went to actually selling the building and land since the TTC gave up on leasing the building out.

How is that relevant if the discussions involved have been happening for a decade or more? Do those discussions suddenly become irrelevant?

When I mentioned that Greyhound is expected to move in, you have seem to fighting me on my knowledge about this. Greyhound was approached about moving to the new Terminal by Metrolinx back in 2014. However Ivanhoe failed to get a anchor Tenant in 2014 and didn't get one until 2017. Others have posted to support that Greyhound has already negotiated a lease with Metrolinx as TTC documents shows the Toronto Coach Terminal becoming surplus. Now we just had a pandemic, the new Terminal is built but not ready for operation. Heck, even the common areas for the Terminal are not done yet. Give it sometime, probably by fall and we'll see if the lease agreement went through. On TTC's side it seems the lease agreement has gone through between Greyhound and Metrolinx since they're trying to figure out on what to do with the Coach Terminal. Keep this behaviour up and I will passively ignore you just like with other members on here.

Dan

11 hours ago, lip said:

The only reason a sale in this particular instance would be harder/more challenging to do is if the city starts attaching contingencies into the sale (ie: including certain city services within the development), or if a prospective developer wants to assemble more property (ie: along Dundas St). The parking lot to the north of the terminal has already been assembled by a developer.

The market has changed over the past 10-20 years, and over the same period of time the amount of land available to develop has steadily decreased in the downtown core. Honestly it wont be difficult to flip the property; it's probably been more of a tricky sale because it's directly under the Sick Kids flight path.

It's downtown, it took Ivanhoe 3 years to find another tenant (besides Metrolinx) before CIBC Square can be built. The TTC won't go broke if the Coach Terminal isn't sold right after the new Union Station Bus Terminal is ready for operation.

Does anyone know what series of BiLevels the Crash Energy Management cars fall under? Back when I was sorting my online galleries, our wiki referred to them as Series IX. Now I see they are referred to as Series 10. Any idea of what the correct nomenclature is?

On 6/23/2020 at 1:08 AM, Megabus Rider said:

It's downtown, it took Ivanhoe 3 years to find another tenant (besides Metrolinx) before CIBC Square can be built. The TTC won't go broke if the Coach Terminal isn't sold right after the new Union Station Bus Terminal is ready for operation.

Except that the TTC is already broke! :P

With the Durham College/UOIT Bus Loop closed for commencement ceremonies today + tomorrow, all 52 trips will service temporary stops along Simcoe Street.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, PCC Guy said:

Does anyone know what series of BiLevels the Crash Energy Management cars fall under? Back when I was sorting my online galleries, our wiki referred to them as Series IX. Now I see they are referred to as Series 10. Any idea of what the correct nomenclature is?

The new BiLevels that you are talking about are correctly known as Series 10.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Shemar said:

The new BiLevels that you are talking about are correctly known as Series 10.

Right on, thanks.

To follow up on that question, does anyone know what is meant by "Repainted in the two-tone Metrolinx livery in (date)" that is given in the notes section for all the 2014 Series VIII BiLevels? As far as I am aware, those cars came from the factory in the Metrolinx colours.

https://cptdb.ca/wiki/index.php/GO_Transit_Series_VIII_Bilevel_cars

3 hours ago, PCC Guy said:

Right on, thanks.

To follow up on that question, does anyone know what is meant by "Repainted in the two-tone Metrolinx livery in (date)" that is given in the notes section for all the 2014 Series VIII BiLevels? As far as I am aware, those cars came from the factory in the Metrolinx colours.

https://cptdb.ca/wiki/index.php/GO_Transit_Series_VIII_Bilevel_cars

That's what I thought as well but I found this website that has information for all of the GO BiLevels, locomotives, and cab cars.

http://www.trainweb.org/railwayop/carroster.htm 

28 minutes ago, Shemar said:

That's what I thought as well but I found this website that has information for all of the GO BiLevels, locomotives, and cab cars.

http://www.trainweb.org/railwayop/carroster.htm 

While that website is comprehensive, anyone who was paying attention 5-6 years ago would have seen those cars were delivered in the new livery.

Please do better when vetting information for the wiki.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, 2044 said:

While that website is comprehensive, anyone who was paying attention 5-6 years ago would have seen those cars were delivered in the new livery.

Please do better when vetting information for the wiki.

Will do. And if I'm not sure if the information I'm adding is valid, I'll ask first.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Shemar said:

Will do. And if I'm not sure if the information I'm adding is valid, I'll ask first.

Always a good plan. Don’t worry, mistakes happen. We can just do our best to make sure things are accurate. Thanks for your contributions to the wiki.

• Thanks 2

Go Transit is planning to do a trial for plastic dividers on 5 Go Trains and 30 buses this summer. This is along with way finding signage for designated exit/entry doors along with floor markings for which direction to head in. To prevent face to face contact with other passengers.

On-board trains: The area around the customer service ambassador is blocked off except for people with disabilities needing assistance. Along with shields around transit operators. 

https://blog.metrolinx.com/2020/07/02/metrolinx-testing-new-on-board-safety-measures-to-help-protect-go-transit-customers/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So what's going to happen when a passenger in the window seat needs to exit the aisle, and pass by the passenger sitting next to them?

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, PCC Guy said:

So what's going to happen when a passenger in the window seat needs to exit the aisle, and pass by the passenger sitting next to them?

Masks will likely still be a requirement on transit for a long long time, this is to double up to reduce the risk 

4 hours ago, PCC Guy said:

That's a good question.  In a perfect world that'd be avoided by having only one seat out of each pair occupied but that would imply loading buses and train cars to only 50% capacity at maximum.  Going from there, the questions that raises, generally speaking, for Go, TTC, any mass transit system, is what happens to the whole long standing premise that you just pack passengers in like sardines in rush hours twice a day?  Go one way on it, masks or not, there's the health risks.Go the other way on it, there's the implications for service levels that would have to be run to mitigate crowding and the financial risks with knock on for fare and subsidy policies that go with it.

• Like 1

On 7/2/2020 at 2:46 PM, PCC Guy said:

The risk increases with prolong exposure, not because you're within contact of an infected person for 1 second. 

Everyone wearing masks doesn't mean you'll be 100% safe. Germs for an infected person would end up on their hands, presto card, wallet, clothes and belongings. There's a slight chance it ends up on handles, bars, presto card reader, etc. each carrying their own percentage of risk. All those risks add up to your exposure rate. 

Now the question is how good is the ventilation system in filtering out the germs in the air, especially when A/C is on and circulating the air again and again.

5 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

The risk increases with prolong exposure, not because you're within contact of an infected person for 1 second. 

Everyone wearing masks doesn't mean you'll be 100% safe. Germs for an infected person would end up on their hands, presto card, wallet, clothes and belongings. There's a slight chance it ends up on handles, bars, presto card reader, etc. each carrying their own percentage of risk. All those risks add up to your exposure rate. 

Now the question is how good is the ventilation system in filtering out the germs in the air, especially when A/C is on and circulating the air again and again.

The filters are polyester gauze, definitely not hepa certified.

8 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

Back in the Before Times I would see people who chewed on their nails then grabbing a hold of stanchions. :wacko: I made it a practice to wash my hands with soap and water after I got off the Queen car, or in fact any bus. Also I would try to grasp stanchions where I figure others are less likely to grab them. Or not grab them at all. This goes double these days.

12 hours ago, Ed T. said:

Back in the Before Times I would see people who chewed on their nails then grabbing a hold of stanchions. :wacko: I made it a practice to wash my hands with soap and water after I got off the Queen car, or in fact any bus. Also I would try to grasp stanchions where I figure others are less likely to grab them. Or not grab them at all. This goes double these days.

I seen kids trying to lick the poles. 

4 minutes ago, Xtrazsteve said:

I seen kids trying to lick the poles. 

Saw that on an MTA subway. Kid's either got seconds to live or is building the world's most robust immune system. 

__

Given this whole big 'rona thing, does anyone know what the retirement schedule is like for buses 2420-2449?