1 hour ago, Shaun said:

I have a question about the steering on the super low buses. Is the steering very light? I find that on the highway some drivers "play" with the steering wheel making the bus sway in the lane. Is it hard to keep the bus going straight? I'm sure it's over eggagerated due to the height of the vehicle, but some drivers do better than others. 

The MCI's tend not to sway at high speeds and I find the driver doesn't need to manipulate the steering wheel as much. 

I found this to be the same with some late 90's model H345's, they tend to not be able to stay in the lane as good as MCI's.

Steering on the new SLs is electric, and from what I've heard, is quite light. Combine that with a very tall vehicle (making it susceptible to crosswinds on highways), drivers will have to make more mini-corrections while driving at speed, especially on open highways, or even when passing big semis/box trucks. In my experience, hydraulic steering tends to be a bit heavier, which can reduce the number of minute corrections you want at high speeds. Some of the DDs have misaligned steering wheels, so that can also be a contributing factor.

Also remember that the MCIs are quite short, and certainly shorter than any Prevost.

Can't the steering feel be adjusted?

Again it depends on the day, and the driver.  Some hold it together better than others.

That’s probably best suited for an operator or mechanic to answer.

Though I might add that steering weight/feel adjustability is normally found on higher end and/or performance oriented cars. The only heavy vehicle manufacturer I know to have adjustable steering performance is Volvo, which offers Dynamic Steering on the FH and VNL Trucks. It would be smart to have that on a bus though.

On 2/15/2020 at 2:04 PM, Doppelkupplung said:

That’s probably best suited for an operator or mechanic to answer.

Though I might add that steering weight/feel adjustability is normally found on higher end and/or performance oriented cars. The only heavy vehicle manufacturer I know to have adjustable steering performance is Volvo, which offers Dynamic Steering on the FH and VNL Trucks. It would be smart to have that on a bus though.

Considering how high it is and that 50% of the time it is spent at high speeds it would make sense to design it with that in mind. 

The MCI 9's where pretty bad in stop and go traffic. They would constantly Bob up and down everytime the driver hit the brakes. 

15 minutes ago, Shaun said:

The MCI 9's where pretty bad in stop and go traffic. They would constantly Bob up and down everytime the driver hit the brakes. 

Those were beyond my time; though I would’ve liked to have ridden them and the Prevosts. I only started taking the GO bus regularly a few years ago, near the end of the 12 speed era. Those were neat.

31 minutes ago, John Oke said:

https://oshawaexpress.ca/metrolinx-confirms-go-lakeshore-east-extension-decision/
they’ve confirmed the Bomanville extension. It seams like it will use the CP bridge just beyond Oshawa GO and Oshawa will remain open

But how will they get on that bridge without backing up from the station? Unless they build a platform on one of the yard tracks....

21 minutes ago, splendidwizardplayer said:

Does anyone know there 204 is going?

To ONR in Thunder Bay. They are refurbishing a number of the old cab cars and converting them to straight coaches.

In other news....

There are currently (4.45pm on Tuesday February 25th) 3 different stoppages of GO service by "protesters" on the tracks: Lakeshore West, at Desjardins (where CN and CP meet just north of Hamilton; Lakeshore East, just east of Guildwood Station; and Milton, over Scarlett Rd.

Dan

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Shaun said:

Did they re-route Milton trains via Obico yard? How where the trains detoured?

Eventually ... as they were servicing Kipling, presumably they reversed directions twice.

11 hours ago, nfitz said:

Eventually ... as they were servicing Kipling, presumably they reversed directions twice.

Per GOs website all stops were made and they used the Lakeshore West line for some of the route. 

12 hours ago, nfitz said:

That's exactly what they did.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, nfitz said:

I would really like to see a west to north curve from LSW onto Canpa/Obico (which would entail some expropriation) especially if it meant Canadian could also be turned and save a bunch of time on backups from Newmarket onto York. But who pays...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dowlingm said:

I would really like to see a west to north curve from LSW onto Canpa/Obico (which would entail some expropriation) especially if it meant Canadian could also be turned and save a bunch of time on backups from Newmarket onto York. But who pays...

In GO's Big List of Projects, there's an unspecified "Track Upgrade by Long Branch GO". The actual icon is in the area of the Canpa Sub.

So there is some hope!

• Like 2

Does it also include a north to west switch at Obico?

11 hours ago, dowlingm said:

To do that, you got to buy the steel fabrication plant up 100% that there now, as that curve will eat most of the land up.

How is this going to help the Canadian when there no east to north curve off CP tracks other than the Lambton connection to Mactire sub and then the Westin Sub?? It will add more travel time as well.

To put in 4 tracks at Long Branch as well rebuilt it will require rebuilding Brown Line whole intersection area as well the overpass. The existing north platform would be remove that would require a tunnel to the street there. The bridges will have to be rebuilt as well over the creek.

To do an north-west curve for the Milton Line, you got to deal with Hydro transmission towers and will eat up some on the plan TTC yard, but not a big deal.

1 hour ago, drum118 said:

To do that, you got to buy the steel fabrication plant up 100% that there now, as that curve will eat most of the land up.

How is this going to help the Canadian when there no east to north curve off CP tracks other than the Lambton connection to Mactire sub and then the Westin Sub?? It will add more travel time as well.

To put in 4 tracks at Long Branch as well rebuilt it will require rebuilding Brown Line whole intersection area as well the overpass. The existing north platform would be remove that would require a tunnel to the street there. The bridges will have to be rebuilt as well over the creek.

To do an north-west curve for the Milton Line, you got to deal with Hydro transmission towers and will eat up some on the plan TTC yard, but not a big deal.

I was thinking something simpler; using Canpa as a wye after Canadian has been serviced, so it would point east on departure from Union which hasn’t been possible for some years now. Would still be time consuming but only for the essential crew and not passengers and passenger service crew.

20 hours ago, Shemar said:

I heard that when the old cab cars are refurbished, they will be given a fleet number in the 2900s.

When will that be?

4 minutes ago, John Oke said:

When will that be?

Well as mentioned above, 204 is being sent for refurbishment so when it returns it will be 2904.

• Like 1