Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Anyone else see the changes on the Stouffville line? They’re continuing to run the current buses every 10 minutes northbound, and then also have trains every hour. And southbound, still buses every half hour and then trains every hour. But I mean...I’m not complaining

https://www.gotransit.com/static_files/gotransit/assets/pdf/TripPlanning/FullSchedules/FS31082019/Table71_ST.pdf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Matthew TTC 4120 said:

2607 is parked outside the entercare center with a wrap that has something to do with kids riding on go.

If I had to guess, probably part of the campaign for free ride for kids 12 years and under.

2607 seems to be the "publicity bus" lately; it was the one on display at the Auto Show, and even before that it was wrapped for TFC when they won the MLS Cup in 2017.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder about the impact on VIA on some of these changes - like this new evening service at 20.57 from Kitchener. I have taken the VIA 88 in the past when doing work in our Waterloo office and it was a bummer to have to hang around waiting for a train and to be back in Toronto after 11. Some people will still prefer the faster trains and the more comfortable seats but it will still chip away at the economics of the VIA service, especially if it also loses outbound customers from 85 to the new GO mid-day train.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dowlingm said:

I wonder about the impact on VIA on some of these changes - like this new evening service at 20.57 from Kitchener. I have taken the VIA 88 in the past when doing work in our Waterloo office and it was a bummer to have to hang around waiting for a train and to be back in Toronto after 11. Some people will still prefer the faster trains and the more comfortable seats but it will still chip away at the economics of the VIA service, especially if it also loses outbound customers from 85 to the new GO mid-day train.

It shouldn't affect much as a majority of people get off in London. Greyhound is the one more likely to take a very serious impact on the Kitchener to Toronto and Toronto to Kitchener runs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/16/2019 at 11:45 PM, Matthew TTC 4120 said:

2607 is parked outside the entercare center with a wrap that has something to do with kids riding on go.

does it have  the full wrap or partial?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, leylandvictory2 said:

thanks. inAlso is there a Metrolitnx mock up LRT car at the Ex as well?  

I didn't see any LRT cars. They may put one on later on. There was a section of the enercare center Inside that wasn't open too the public yet and for the past few years It was parked In that area.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here’s a view of 2607’s wrap, sorry that there are bushes in the way. It’s the best I could do. 

5C0FB970-A2ED-4A31-A580-1A8318F53DEA.jpeg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Metrolinx tells GO bus drivers to spit out gum if asked by passenger triggered by sound

I'm genuinely curious about this one in a couple of respects.  First, given how diesel buses are not quiet even when idling, never mind when running in motion, how is anyone in the passenger area going to be able to hear gum being chewed by the driver?  This is especially true of the upstairs on the double deckers.

Second, how is Metrolinx planning to handle the potential conflict that arises between multiple duties to accommodate, corporate policy and workplace safety legislation?  If a driver who smokes and uses nicotine gum to get by while at work can't use that because of having to accommodate a passenger that can't have anybody chewing gum nearby, the driver can't light up a smoke instead because of any number of policies and laws about that.  Plus, in Ontario for certain and I'm not sure if it's the same in other provinces or at the federal level, addiction (eg, nicotine addiction) is considered a medical disability that must be accommodated.  How does all that work?

I'm also kind of puzzled why nobody suggested a good pair of headphones combined with a fully loaded iPod/smartphone/mp3 player/Walkman and sit back and enjoy the ride with some tunes drowning out the rest of the world.  That's got to be a lot more enjoyable a way to pass the time on a bus ride, gum or no gum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

Metrolinx tells GO bus drivers to spit out gum if asked by passenger triggered by sound

I'm genuinely curious about this one in a couple of respects.  First, given how diesel buses are not quiet even when idling, never mind when running in motion, how is anyone in the passenger area going to be able to hear gum being chewed by the driver?  This is especially true of the upstairs on the double deckers.

I'm also kind of puzzled why nobody suggested a good pair of headphones combined with a fully loaded iPod/smartphone/mp3 player/Walkman and sit back and enjoy the ride with some tunes drowning out the rest of the world.  That's got to be a lot more enjoyable a way to pass the time on a bus ride, gum or no gum.

I would think that this kind of issue would be very rare.

Your suggestion about headphones is merely that, a suggestion, and not a very satisfactory one at that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ed T. said:

I would think that this kind of issue would be very rare.

Your suggestion about headphones is merely that, a suggestion, and not a very satisfactory one at that.

No?  Oh well.  The guy who sits next to me at work had a few suggestions that were even better.  He's also an Australian so the way those suggestions were made was totally devastating.  Maybe try your luck with that guy instead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, yrt1000 said:

Does anyone know if the two hybrids 3000 and 3001 are still active?

3000 is done; has been gone for most of 2019.

3001 was in service on July 15th (rode it) but I heard a week or two later it was sitting in the back of Steeprock; unsure if it has also been removed from service.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Doppelkupplung said:

Are a lot of the retired MCIs being bought by second owners or scrapped?

I wonder what the future holds for the 3000s, being hybrids.

It’s been my experience that almost all of them are snapped up at auction and live second lives all over North America. Being sold off reasonably early in their designed service lives helps, and I think there’s a broader market for them vs. a transit coach of the same vintage.

having said that, prospects are bleak for the two hybrids, being rather rare configurations, and most churches, sports teams and independent operators don’t have deep enough pockets to keep something like that roadworthy, never mind their local maintenance provider not having any hands on experience with them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/23/2019 at 1:49 PM, Bus_Medic said:

It’s been my experience that almost all of them are snapped up at auction and live second lives all over North America. Being sold off reasonably early in their designed service lives helps, and I think there’s a broader market for them vs. a transit coach of the same vintage.

having said that, prospects are bleak for the two hybrids, being rather rare configurations, and most churches, sports teams and independent operators don’t have deep enough pockets to keep something like that roadworthy, never mind their local maintenance provider not having any hands on experience with them.

Wonder if MCI (New flyer) would "buy them back" if there was an order for D4500's?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Shaun said:

Wonder if MCI (New flyer) would "buy them back" if there was an order for D4500's?

I would majorly doubt this because if a company wanted used D4500’s they could just buy them directly from GO instead of going through MCI. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

About a week ago, I received an email with a follow-up regarding the Tim Horton's at various GO stations along the Lakeshore Lines.
I was told that a new Time Horton's trailer was just set up at Oshawa GO Station which will be open year round. At this point in time, there aren't plans for the other stations that once had previous Tim's trailers (Like Oakville), but if there are plans, I will be given follow-up on it.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/22/2019 at 10:26 AM, Ed T. said:

I would think that this kind of issue would be very rare.

Your suggestion about headphones is merely that, a suggestion, and not a very satisfactory one at that.

Why not? It was the first thing I thought of, since he would have no control of what the passengers around him do, or what kind of perfume they wear, or how much fabric softener they used in the laundry.

 

None of the articles about this mentioned any other sensitivities that would stop him from wearing a decent fitting set of headphones, or even hearing protectors.  He doesn't need to sit near the front of the bus, he doesn't need to sit within smelling distance of the operators mouth, he doesn't need to be in a spot where he can see the operator chewing.

 

I'm happy to accommodate people in any way that would make their lives a little easier, but this seems unreasonable when there are simpler solutions that don't require rules for others. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Turtle said:

Why not? It was the first thing I thought of, since he would have no control of what the passengers around him do, or what kind of perfume they wear, or how much fabric softener they used in the laundry.

Well, that assumes that you have headphones, something to plug them into, and want to listen to them in the first place.

While I'm not a complainer about anyone chewing, I don't bring headphones or anything to plug them into. When I'm in a car for 8 hours a day, when asked what my preferred radio station is, my answer is "off". (So I get to listen to Roz and Mocha, or Democracy Now, or Boom, anyway. :rolleyes:)

Many people do like wearing headphones on transit and elsewhere. I suppose for them, noise would not be a bother. (Some are a bother with their noise, of course.) Assuming that everyone could, should, and would want to wear headphones is not, in my opinion, realistic.

Personally, I really enjoy a ride where the stop announcements are not working. If the door beep-beep or ding-dong-dang aren't working either, so much the better. (Mr Lepofsky will now sue me.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Ed T. said:

Well, that assumes that you have headphones, something to plug them into, and want to listen to them in the first place.

While I'm not a complainer about anyone chewing, I don't bring headphones or anything to plug them into.

I also mentioned hearing protectors. I would assume that in his case, if he required something to shield himself from some form of irritation/over-stimulation, then he would carry a pair around with him in his paralegal briefcase. While you are not a complainer, you are also not claiming to be disabled from it like this guy is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The point of the memo was to make the GO more attractive to the disabled and to show that they care for their customers. Unfortunately the wrong message got out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On August 22, 2019 at 10:26 AM, Ed T. said:

I would think that this kind of issue would be very rare.

Your suggestion about headphones is merely that, a suggestion, and not a very satisfactory one at that.

Autism was tough on this B.C. pair. This is how they're making it easier for others

Actually, as it turns out, it appears that was a pretty satisfactory suggestion after all.

12 hours ago, Turtle said:

I also mentioned hearing protectors. I would assume that in his case, if he required something to shield himself from some form of irritation/over-stimulation, then he would carry a pair around with him in his paralegal briefcase. While you are not a complainer, you are also not claiming to be disabled from it like this guy is. 

That article that just came out that I linked to above is about British Columbia.  I don't know, maybe the abdication of personal responsibility has gotten so extreme in Ontario that the idea of carrying what you need to make it through the day with you has gone out the window in Ontario in 2019.  I don't know, all that time working out west and up north where adults are expected to behave like adults really soured me on the place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...